• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Tom Scully

Rogue

Geez I hope you are not quoting me ... because thats not what I've said. But again people will read but not listen. :o

People will read into it what they want to read into it.

I'm not quoting you......just having bit of fun.. :)

Edited by tatu

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your right 98%

I wish I did not mentioned anything now.

Scully will stay. Let's hope he does.

Guest hangon007

I'm not quoting you......just having bit of fun.. :)

No problems ... Just wanted to make sure. Thanks.

Edited by hangon007

He did mention it during the general panel discussion in front of 200 people. I would would not have been so specific otherwise.

He is 97% certain. He can't be 100% certain because he hasn't seen the signed contract.

Nothing really has changed since he mention it previously.

So in fact Ox would be 97% sure that he has signed a HOA which is not binding

Guest hangon007

Your right 98%

I wish I did not mentioned anything now.

Scully will stay. Let's hope he does.

No you make a good point. I too have spoke to many current and ex-AFL players. Most seem to base their "beliefs" on what they would do if they were in Toms position.

However, many stress they dont know for certain.

Totally agree with you WJ however the AFL could not give a sh-t about us and would not like to set a precendent.

Their line would be that the terms were agreed to by all Clubs. The expansion clubs will not be compromised in becoming dominant. It's AFL v Rugby and Soccer.

No problem with the fact that the terms were agreed to by all clubs. According to a newspaper report from last week, those same rules include the possibility of the AFL ruling that an anomalous situation applied and the compensation should suit the situation. In this case, if you lose a 19/20 year old priority selection then you should at least get one back.

So in fact Ox would be 97% sure that he has signed a HOA which is not binding

Nothing said about signing anything. He just believes that based on the information told to him Scully will go.

Scully may only be trying to increase his price to stay at MFC. No one knows except Tom.

Edited by Theo

Guest hangon007

No problem with the fact that the terms were agreed to by all clubs. According to a newspaper report from last week, those same rules include the possibility of the AFL ruling that an anomalous situation applied and the compensation should suit the situation. In this case, if you lose a 19/20 year old priority selection then you should at least get one back.

The compensation appeals committee can only improve the band of your pick or number of picks, there is no facility to deal on players.

not necessarily exclusively on the topic of Tom Scully.

Very important.

Have you been to other teams forums like 'Punt Road End'? They are much more savage over there than this place.

I have no idea if what you're saying is right or not, I'm also not going to badger you for more info however this reason doesn't make sense at all. All clubs forums are this abrasive, some much more than others (Richmond, Essendon, Carlton, Collingwood etc). Taking into consideration the type of person that Scully is I would imagine that it would be highly unlikely that he would care.

The compensation appeals committee can only improve the band of your pick or number of picks, there is no facility to deal on players.

This article in the Age may help shed some light.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/dees-could-get-ablettlike-compo-for-scully-20110616-1g61f.html

Sources have confirmed that despite an industry perception that Scully would be worth only one first-round pick, the emphasis on the age of the player - younger players are rated higher - and the size of the contract would be key factors in Melbourne's favour if he walked. Clearly, if he did join GWS, it would be on a massive contract, with most speculation suggesting he would receive $800,000-$1million a year for five years.

In addition, the expert panel of AFL talent identification manager Kevin Sheehan and game analysis manager Andrew McKay has the power to override the formula and change the outcome if there is what the AFL called ''an anomalous result''.

''They will have the power to recommend a revised compensation outcome to AFL general manager football operations Adrian Anderson if the formula produces an anomalous result,'' the AFL said when announcing the revised compensation last year.

If age of the player and his renumeration are the major criteria, the formula and the compensation committee (Sheehan and McKay) can also take into account the player's draft position and any decorations. Scully, as the 2009 No.1 pick, obviously ranks highly on draft value and though he hasn't yet been placed in a best and fairest or been All-Australian, he was runner-up in the Rising Star Award in his first season. He played 21 of 22 games, finished eighth in the best and fairest and was second for loose-ball gets at Melbourne in an outstanding debut season.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/dees-could-get-ablettlike-compo-for-scully-20110616-1g61f.html#ixzz1QBFO5tIZ

That's OK. If Scully goes, we should be happy to take a priority pick plus one at the end of round one which seems to me to be reasonable compensation if a 20 year old is being paid $5m over 4 years.

Guest hangon007

That's OK. If Scully goes, we should be happy to take a priority pick plus one at the end of round one which seems to me to be reasonable compensation if a 20 year old is being paid $5m over 4 years.

Sadly we can appeal all we want. However, I cant see us get any better compensation than Geelong.

.. lets not forget the rules are version 2 ... Should add as you say ... all clubs agreed to them last year.

Edited by hangon007

Question for a somewhat different idea: Why can't we give TS a massively frontended contract next year?

I know the $700k/year has been bandied about, but to free up cap space in 3-4 years why not massively load his contract for 2012? Draftees get the minimum, we get rid of whoever we get rid of (probably Bate, maybe Dunn) and throw every cent of cash we have into his 2012 season contract then reduce it as much as we can for the later years in order to allow us to renegotiate good deals with our other rising players.

So for example, a $2.8mil over 4 years, try to push $1.4m into the 2011 provision then spread the remaining $1.4mil over the 3 years, coming in at around $467k/year for the rest if my very hasty maths are correct? Or even get it to reduce further, so $1.4mil/$600k/$500k/$300k for his contract for the same value?

Just a thought.

But if Scully gets that then so should Sylvia, Trengove etc etc

We will lose players from cap pressure before we even get good.

Col Sylvia has had years to get to that level, no offence to Col, but they are different situations

Tom Scully will be a premiership player, i hope that Col is the same

The Club must check every avenue to keep Tom Scully, as long as we stay under the List Cap

Tom Scully is that important to our next decade.

If the 700K is correct , that is way overs for him at this stage of his career. If he won't stay for that then we have other players to look after!

well said and 100% agree

But if Scully gets that then so should Sylvia, Trengove etc etc

We will lose players from cap pressure before we even get good.

I know what you are saying, but re-negotiate Col's contract before end of season so we know what we are working with. The only contracts that are still up at MFC this year IIRC are Scully and Sylvia's. Sort out Sylvia's first, trying to keep it as low as possible. Trade a couple of players who are surely on decent contracts but aren't long-term players (Bate? Dunn? Warnock), then use all of the cash freed up from those to pump straight into Scully's contract for next year as a one-year bump up. We draft the minimum number of players for 2012, focusing on shortcomings and where our talents lie.

This could be a great way to get one of those 17 year olds - trade Bate and Dunn outright to GWS for one of those picks, which we use for JV. JV's wages aren't counted under the salary cap for 2012. I believe this still counts as a player listing? While looking at it outright the deal will seem stupidly in GWS's favour, the freed-up wages allow us to keep TS.

Who is the vacuous suckhole who decided that this thread should angle towards engineering a way for Tom Scully to get to Richmond? I can't be bothered going back to see who it was. It is seriously laughbale the carp that gets posted on these Tom Scully threads, reminiscent on pre-pubescent schoolgirl gossip.

Gees Didn't you know that we've moved on from the GWS debate, were now debating about Scully going to Richmond....

Geez I hope you are not quoting me ... because thats not what I've said. But again people will read but not listen. :o

People will read into it what they want to read into it.

This is exactly what you did say

1/ Are you saying Richmond would not be interested? Why do you think Richmond employed Blair Hartley ... one of the best back room dealers in the AFL.

2/ Same way as other un-contracted players get to other clubs .. thru the trade or draft table.

3/ Garry Lyon let the reason out of the bag on Monday night Footy Classified ... its not all about the money!!!!

Now dont get me wrong. As I've said from the start Fatboy Hutchy only ever had half of the story right. GWS were never going to be the number 1 threat ... it was always going to be a Victorian based side.

A Victorian club is the #1 threat - the only Victorian club you've mentioned in this thread is Richmond - therefore you are saying that the #1 threat is Richmond.

Who is the vacuous suckhole who decided that this thread should angle towards engineering a way for Tom Scully to get to Richmond? I can't be bothered going back to see who it was. It is seriously laughbale the carp that gets posted on these Tom Scully threads, reminiscent on pre-pubescent schoolgirl gossip.

You may be refering to the poster I referenced above I believe.

He is not going anywhere let along richmond.. How would they pay him with the likes of Reiwoldt, Delideo, Cotchin, Martin and Newman???? Answer that if you can.

Melbourne have the most room in there salary cap for reasons like this, we have one of the smartest list mangers in the game and in combination with Chris Connolly and Cam Schwab the ONLY teams capable of paying above market value for our players are GWS and Gold Coast. We did a good job last year and will do the same this year.

Have some faith in the blokes that get paid the big bucks to do their job... Not 14 year olds that think everything they hear at a night pie night is gospel

Edited by Clanger King

Guest hangon007

A Victorian club is the #1 threat - the only Victorian club you've mentioned in this thread is Richmond - therefore you are saying that the #1 threat is Richmond.

Geez you nearly had me excited there! Thought the penny had finally dropped ... but then No.

You may be refering to the poster I referenced above I believe.

The only one who has engineered & outlined a way for Scully to get to Richmond was not me. Again you read but you dont listen.

You again are hearing what you want to hear. Anyway I'm off to watch the Hawks vs The Bombers.

Guest hangon007

He is not going anywhere let along richmond.. How would they pay him with the likes of Reiwoldt, Delideo, Cotchin, Martin and Newman???? Answer that if you can.

Melbourne have the most room in there salary cap for reasons like this, we have one of the smartest list mangers in the game and in combination with Chris Connolly and Cam Schwab the ONLY teams capable of paying above market value for our players are GWS and Gold Coast. We did a good job last year and will do the same this year.

Have some faith in the blokes that get paid the big bucks to do their job... Not 14 year olds that think everything they hear at a night pie night is gospel

I hope you are right. As I said all along I have faith in Tom & as I said above I'm sure the MFC ie CC & CS and anyone else involved there will do everything in there powers to keep him. I cant ask for anything more than that.

Go Dees