Tom Scully

Rogue

Let's face it RR, if he does stay, when Free Agency comes into play, you'll be there at the frontlines preparing us for Scully's imminent departure.

I'm not here clapping on the process Hardtack. I hate the he's going just as much as you presumably do.

But at some point we've got to ark up and start agitating for proper compensation.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So some of you actualliy believe all the crap that espews fron his mamagement and the GWs ..and on and on. .. Its all a bit " I did not have sexual relations with that woman!!! "

These are on record quotes from his management.

Not the "some people say" nonsense. My "sources" have said crap.

This is actual news.

Often in many a workign environment there are whispers., there aere observations and granted sometimes things are not always what they seem....and yet many a time they are exactly what they seem, just no-one 's made the oifficial announcement. .. No, the mone's not closing..certainly not , whilst all around equipment is re-assigned elsewhere, workers shifts reduce, natural attrition isnt replaced until suddenly its not 'viable" anymore. But it was never going to close !!

Anyone who honestly beleives what they are seeing is the real -time observation of events is very niaive !!

Anyone who honestly believes they can understand this paragraph is very naive...

I feel sorry for you rpfc. You're going to end up being very hurt when the boy formally walks.

False pity is not very becoming, RR...

I mean, what the hell kind of a sentiment is that?

I'll be fine. I feel for those that don't think this club can keep an kid or think he is a deceitful liar based on rumour.

I'm not here clapping on the process Hardtack. I hate the he's going just as much as you presumably do.

But at some point we've got to ark up and start agitating for proper compensation.

Firstly, I'm firmly in the camp that believes he is NOT going anywhere - just as we must all believe now that he didn't lie when he stated he had not signed anything, I believe we should also believe him when he said he was looking forward to his future with the club. Also, if Jack7's calculations are correct and there is just an after tax difference of $220,000 in the earnings he could achieve at both clubs, then you can be sure that our club will be looking at ways of closing that gap via tax relief, endorsements and so on - it is in no way insurmountable.

Publicly "agitating" for proper compensation will not achieve anything other than to put us offside with the AFL... I'm sure the club is well on the front foot when it comes to being prepared to make the appropriate approaches to the AFL if worse comes to worst.

has anyone compiled a journalistic shame file on this?

also, how about a forum poster shame file?

so is it somehow possible that all talk in the media and on the forums will remain on hold until the end of the season when the contract talks will actually happen?

please.

as if!

Anyone who honestly believes they can understand this paragraph is very naive...

I was thinking almost exactly the same thing...if that had been a word association test, the first thing to pop into my head would be "Joh Bjelke-Petersen".

I was thinking almost exactly the same thing...if that had been a word association test, the first thing to pop into my head would be "Joh Bjelke-Petersen".

True, but this last sentence of Bezelbub's post is very accurate.

"Anyone who honestly beleives what they are seeing is the real -time observation of events is very niaive !! (sic)

False pity is not very becoming, RR...

I mean, what the hell kind of a sentiment is that?

I'll be fine. I feel for those that don't think this club can keep an kid or think he is a deceitful liar based on rumour.

Just returning serve at the arrogant tone of your earlier post Rpfc.

If you're going to dish it, expect a bit back!

As an aside, in the context that Scully has not yet done enough to command $1,000,000 a season to play AFL - a fairly safe assumption IMO - I think he needs to also consider the following.

That is, I think it would be very difficult for an, as yet, unproven 20 year old kid to line up each week against the likes of Adam Goodes, Joel Selwood, Jimmy Bartel (the list goes on) in the knowledge that:

- they were probably also courted by GWS, and didn't ultimately take the bait;

- they are being paid much less than him, essentially to ply the same trade - albeit on a more effective basis; and

- they would be quietly assessing him (perhaps not so quietly) week in, week out.

That, I expect, would be a lot for a 20 year old to shoulder each week.

Whereas, in sticking fat with the Dees, I expect those very same players would probably think very highly of a young player who made the decision to show loyalty to the club that picked him with the pick they could've used on any other player in the competition. GWS, on the other hand, has probably offered the cheque book to many other players before knocking on Tom's door.

Obviously not every senior player would think this, but I expect most of the very top echelon would - club loyalty strikes me as being a big consideration at that level.

Edited by Ron Burgundy

True, but this last sentence of Bezelbub's post is very accurate.

"Anyone who honestly beleives what they are seeing is the real -time observation of events is very niaive !! (sic)

Yes, I'm sure that Scully's management were aware of things, but I'm also not so naive as to believe that Scully would have been privy to everything that was going on behind closed doors. My point is that Scully has not lied and he has publicly indicated his desire to go forward with our club (when GWS's figure of $5m was already known), so I see no reason to doubt his word.

Just returning serve at the arrogant tone of your earlier post Rpfc.

If you're going to dish it, expect a bit back!

Oh, I'm arrogant alright.

But I don't pity you, RR...

And what do you believe will happen to these journos who have claimed a done deal when now the most veracious story (because it actually has quotes from one of the three parties) I have read says that the deals are there - to be sorted out in two months time?

Stevens, Barrett, Schwarz and their ilk will blame or explain away or not bother, because nothing will happen to them. And they will back on the horse in a fortnight.

Guest hangon007

Well I must confess I have been wrong ... looks like the Tigers are not our major threat with a offer like this tabled by GWS.

But I suppose that's assuming its all about the money. However, only Tom can now tell us that.

Think the ball is now in Toms court and over time he will tell us what he really wants to do & where he wants to play his football.

The real truth will always come out in the end.

Hope he still chooses us ... Go Dees!

Edited by hangon007

http://www.triplem.com.au/melbourne/sport/afl/news/blog/luke-darcy-doesnt-think-melbourne-youngster-tom-scully-should-accept-fivemilliondollar-deal-from-gws-giants/20110712-dc8a.html

Luke Darcy is big on Scully staying put with the Dees.

I'm not the biggest Darcy fan, but I reckon what he says in this article is spot on.

GWS would be a sh*t move for Scully, not just coz I'm a Dees fan but for his own personal interests too.

Well I must confess I have been wrong ... looks like the Tigers are not our major threat with a offer like this tabled by GWS.

But I suppose that's assuming its all about the money. However, only Tom can now tell us that.

Think the ball is now in Toms court and over time he will tell us what he really wants to do & where he wants to play his football.

The real truth will always come out in the end.

Hope he still chooses us ... Go Dees!

Good post.

And I, may I add, am getting pretty confident.

Me too. I thought all along that Scully would stay (and seethed every time RR and friends directly or indirectly called him a liar) but I think this latest development is the most encouraging news we've had yet.

The offers are now real rather than rumoured, don't (at face value) seem miles apart, and Scully's management look to be being open and honest with the club and the media.

I've got the champagne cork ready to be popped.

This somewhat hilarious in a fashion. Who hinestly believes that this is inly NOW happening. This is the public SELL of what has been going on all along.

Just look at the hypocrisy of the logics presented. Follow this up with inane remarks by his management ... :"We haven't told Tom what it is only that it's substantial and it warrants due consideration."

what.... like its all a secret...hush hush squireel sh!t !! ffs ..its laughable Just as the supposed nonsense about GWS not being able to secure people til end of season, that they had this supposed windown of opportunity prior and that was all. Its all farce.

All the way along young Tom has had 'plausible deniability " on his side. Now that goes out the window. I honestly wouldnt decry the young lad from taking up the 5 mill offer. Thats big BIG bikkies..And if hes any good ( i.e worthy of that really big bowl of coin ) then he'll get just as much next time too. Its up to him whther he wants to do such in the land of the unknown, without ever really tasting the ultimate success for its terribly terribly unlikely GWS wil make any real inroads for 15-20 years by which time one TS will have been a player, but no longer.

What we are only privvy to ( if that ) is the public face of the offers. You can bet your house there are under the table "sweeteners" to this, and if Melbourne isnt doing such then someones head needs to go on a plate.

Whos silly enough to think they wouldnt roll out the cheque book to pay for his general living expenses where they could etc. All above board etc..lol

This is high stakes Poker and GWS has a far bigger kitty to play with. If they go 'all in" we cant match it nor should we for heres the real equation. We need to look at his value in the context of him being but one player amongst many fine ones who;ll also need looking after. If we go the matzah on one kid thenhow do you not have to up the ante all around and can we do so.

Irrespective of what young Tom wants....in terms of supposedly waiting til seasons end he in actuality needs to clear this up now. We dont all get to do what we want. Often the playing filed changes mid game in life and you adapt. If he thought he could tuck all this away til a rainy day ,well, its p!ssiing down buckets now !!

The blowtorch just went up a few notches .. Im sorry Tom....time to make a call !!!

Quite correct, this Circus has gone on far too long and it's time for Tom to make a call before he starts to look like the Circus Clown.

He can walk away from this with some credibility, either way, if he decides now, but the longer it’s drawn out the more ridiculous he will look. We have both offers on the table, or so it would seem, and it’s time to end the charade; sign or go.

If he delays the signing any longer then to me it’s a clear indication he is going to move and quite frankly I don’t care anymore, the money we are offering him is obscene and will do a lot of damage to the playing group. We are playing in to the hands of GWS and either way we will lose because we will have to lower the contracts of other players and they will become easier targets.

This sort of money should be paid to Premiership captains or Brownlow Medallists with 6 to 8 years’ experience not a junior with a dicky knee and a dodgy disposal.

Quite correct, this Circus has gone on far too long and it's time for Tom to make a call before he starts to look like the Circus Clown.

He can walk away from this with some credibility, either way, if he decides now, but the longer it’s drawn out the more ridiculous he will look. We have both offers on the table, or so it would seem, and it’s time to end the charade; sign or go.

Really? And if he decides to go you'll be at the head of the queue saying that it's a completely understandable decision?

Strangely most will. You're just showing your pettiness and having a dig. See the difference is I wi lhappily say that's exactly what Im doing. Poke..poke..Im having a dig at your supercilliousness .( oops sorry probably above your comprehension levels..isnt it !!)

..and the word is NIAIVE !! something you should be well aquainted with.

Many will indeed understand the analogy rpfc. That you seem to need things to be published in some fish-wrapping before you can understand it is a stance of your own volition. Dont expect everyone to do so, some have already awoken and smelt the flowers.

Tom may , or may not leave come seasons end but I certainly dont believe the decision will have been made then. I hope he stays. I hope the club doesnt pay him 5 million ( well not over 5 years ). I hope they can agree to much more appropriate munerations.

Amazing that everyone else can get on with things..

Stilll if nothing else GWS have done us the favour of establishing the level of our compensation.

This just proves so many idiots wrong.

He hasn't signed a thing.

He won't sign anything till the end of the year.

I'm increasingly confident that he'll stay. The difference in salary is considerable but not insurmountable. We just need to do a half-decent job selling the club and we'll be right.

Guest Thomo

I want him to stay but there are some very handy players going around for less than $650k a year. They are also proven!!!!!

Will scully be a superstar??? He has the attributes but no one can say he will be.

Agree, except that he has all the attributes to be a superstar. His disposal is not up to AFL standard, especially for a guy that has been training like a professional for the past seven years.

I'm not sure if the figures in the article are correct, but MFC should only pay him what he is worth. I don't want the club doing another Woewodin.

Players at the MFC that I think should be paid more than Tom Scully over the next 5 years;

Watts

Frawley

Trengove

McKenzie

Sylvia

Jamar

Players that should be paid similar to Scully over the next five years

Gysberts

Moloney

Garland

Davey

Grimes