Daniel Nicholson

dazzledavey36

Guest Artie Bucco

Physically he has everything Bartram has.

Mindset remains to be seen conclusively.

He can find a target and break lines - a much better option.

I don't care what the stats say about Bartram, they are clearly misleading.

He is a terrible decision maker and invariably chooses a bad option, unless the best one is bleedingly obvious.

Apply pressure to him when he has the footy and it goes a long way to a turnover.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Purely my opinion old55 and i dont have anything against Strauss, he seems like a great guy on the couple of times ive met him.

However, besides the fact that I haven't seen Strauss do anything to show he will make the grade(happy to be proved wrong), they are both there as a designated kicking role and small/mid size. If you are going to keep Barts, why would you have another two short defenders?

Grimes, Rivers, Garland, Frawley, Bartram, Tapscott...if you want to put Joel Mac in that mix im not sure that there is room for Strauss.

I think it's impossible to have too many good kicks in the backline. Small and medium backs also need to be able to win the contested ball, have some pace and agility, not be exposed in the air and have some defensive attributes (or be as good as Johncock to make up for it). Bartram and Macdonald don't have all these bases covered and they're probably very near their ceiling - but they have to be unseated. Grimes is superior but he's a bit too injury prone - will his body stand up to AFL - back stress fractures and foot hot-spot are not good signs. Strauss has an opportunity to stake a claim and Bailey is giving him a chance.

Rivers is not a lock for me but Bailey clearly loves him.

Edited by old55

Was that when Nahas out marked him....

Had a massive 2 for the game and didn't trouble the goal umpire so not sure what your point is, Jordie gave away at least 2 frees for holding Cotchin but won that battle, one contest isnt the game or a reflection of the players ability.

You asked what made me think he has the capability, I am pointing out that the FD obviously does.

Im not sure that I said he was perfect....

Had a massive 2 for the game and didn't trouble the goal umpire so not sure what your point is, Jordie gave away at least 2 frees for holding Cotchin but won that battle, one contest isnt the game or a reflection of the players ability.

You asked what made me think he has the capability, I am pointing out that the FD obviously does.

Im not sure that I said he was perfect....

Yeah point is Nahas isnt really made for marking contests and still out marked him, milne etc are much better at this, and you are right Nahas didnt have a good game, neither did 20 other tiges, nicho may take Bartrams spot, i feel he is more of a pure midfielder, not a half back or in bartrams case back pocket who shuts down small forwards...

People say this and want him to run out of defence etc... thats not Bartrams job, its like people want him to do this but with flash which isnt required it would be detrimental imo and a reason why i wouldnt want him there, because when he does break lines he is dangerous

As a midfielder i love Nicho, he is exciting and can afford to get caught occasionally, adds something to our midfield

Guest Artie Bucco

It is, but I thought it was purely symptomatic of Freo happily letting Bartram get the ball in his hands, then letting him do what he does.

Over a long period of time he's been doing the same thing, he just did it more consistently in that match.

At times he has seemed to improve, but he has regressed to his old ways.

I'd give him more time to prove himself, but at the moment, that's where I see him.

It is, but I thought it was purely symptomatic of Freo happily letting Bartram get the ball in his hands, then letting him do what he does.

Over a long period of time he's been doing the same thing, he just did it more consistently in that match.

At times he has seemed to improve, but he has regressed to his old ways.

I'd give him more time to prove himself, but at the moment, that's where I see him.

Art, this topic is spelt Nicholson, not Bartram....but off topic for a moment..agree you can't pick one game, Bartram has been the model of consistency in the last two years, yes he has his perceived shortcomings but please.......as far as Nicholson.....great pickup in the Rookie draft....could be anything....

Edited by satyricon

Guest Gotzy15

This kids just an absolute beauty isnt he?? Has very quickly become a real favourite of mine. I look forward to watching nicho run & bounce and continue breaking tackles in the future!

He is the spitting image of my youngest son who also happens to be a bit of a gun junior footballer and dees fanatic. He is absolutely convinced he is going to become an AFL footballer.

Showed my wife the footage of Nicho's interview prior to his debut, she was truly speechless. The mannerisms, smile etc are spookily similar. The wife half jokingly made plans to make some inquiries with Nicho's mother to find out if she "knew" me.

We therefore shout out "go Digby" everytime he goes near it. We get very excited.

Glad I got that off my chest.

He is the spitting image of my youngest son who also happens to be a bit of a gun junior footballer and dees fanatic. He is absolutely convinced he is going to become an AFL footballer.

Showed my wife the footage of Nicho's interview prior to his debut, she was truly speechless. The mannerisms, smile etc are spookily similar. The wife half jokingly made plans to make some inquiries with Nicho's mother to find out if she "knew" me.

We therefore shout out "go Digby" everytime he goes near it. We get very excited.

I have got to tell you something - there is little chance that a 'Digby' could play in the AFL.

I'm truly sorry.

Bartram is a good decision maker - he knows his kicking limitations and kicks within them - that's why his efficiency is high. He still kicks clangers but they're usually when he's pressured to reach for a target that's beyond his capacity.

Absolutely.

Really? Macdonald is in that mix too. He's great competitor and has been a really good PSD pick-up but he has limitations. I'd back Tapscott and Strauss to be in our next premiership team ahead of him.

I'm with you on this too.

People hate on Bartram for turn overs etc which i dont think he does alot of but praise this kid (who i like) for breaking lines getting caught and turning it over.....double standards to teh guy who is exciting etc

You cut players some slack if they're taking the game on repeatedly; it's impossible to do so without turning the ball over at times, but that needs to be balanced against the benefit to the team when the attacking play pays off.

I'll be thinking "Digby" now everytime he has the pill.

If he has the same passion to train with two teams on the one night, then continue practising himself - like Nicho, your wife might need to investigate further. :P

I have got to tell you something - there is little chance that a 'Digby' could play in the AFL.

I'm truly sorry.

The Cyrils and Shannons of this world give us hope.

I'll be thinking "Digby" now everytime he has the pill.

If he has the same passion to train with two teams on the one night, then continue practising himself - like Nicho, your wife might need to investigate further. :P

He often plays one game after another when he fills in for the higher age group when they are short......

WAs written on big footy, nice story, MFC WIN

Was heavily courted by Hawthorn during 2009 season when he was really unknown running around in the VAFA.. Was invited to train between the main draft and the rookie with a squad of 12. It was more of a token invite as he was from the ammos and not rated. He then blew them away with his testing(2.82 20 metre sprint) and won the 3km time trial. He also was impressing with his football training. Fagan and co who were taking training(others at kokoda) insisted that this kid should be rookied . They then found out a few days before the rookies draft that he wasn't nominated!! Serious oversight. Took Kayler-Thompson instead.

Then in 2010, the cat was well and truly out of the bag. He broke the agility test record at the state screening last year(until Dalhalus broke his record!),so his testing was elite. Hawks obviously took Smith with first pick and overlooked him with later ones and how he survived till the rookie is beyond me. Already showing that he will be a star.

If he had TAC next to his name would have been taken in the main draft...when will they learn

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=843098

Sorry to spoil the party but he was terrible last night. Many turnovers and runs around like a headless chook! May be the last we see of him at senior level for a while.

Overstated enormously.