Leadership Poll

Range Rover

Leadership Poll  

136 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Following on from my earlier "Call To Arms" post, I thought it would interesting to run a poll on the question.

Who do you think has what it takes to lead the club to its next premiership?

Personally, I'm starting to warm to Jack Watts.

Edited by Range Rover

I am strongly of the view that lack of leadership has been a major factor placing Melbourne behind the leading clubs, really since Gary Lyon was captain. It appears that leadership qualities have been an important part of the selection criteria of the recruiting staff in recent years and hopefully that will shine through in the next couple of years.

While as thrilled as anyone with Jack Watt's recent form, what has equally pleased me as I hadn't expected it, is his showing signs of leadership on the field. This has been both vocally and physically and I first noticed it, perhaps not coincidentally, in the West Coast game. This suggests a place in the leadership group in 2 - 3 years.

However, the most likely leader, if he can keep his body together, appears to be Jack Grimes. He seems to have that ability to lift his own game and take other players with him.

Grimes would have been a lock-in for mine but for two reasons. One, he is unfortunately injury-prone. Two, his footskills produce frustration among the players and the skipper should not be producing frustration but finding ways through it or around it. Other players really lift around him, and even older players look to him when setting up in defence, but he needs a full pre-season and 22 rounds.

Trengove is emerging as the true contender for Captaincy. He has my vote.

Agree with Demon WA. Voted for Trengove, but if Grimes was to stay on the park then would go with him.

What about short term? If Green decided to step down to 'concentrate on his footy', would Moloney be next in line?

Probably. But why not take a punt on Trengove and allow him to grow into the role. Could be a 10-year Captain and a rock of leadership for an entire era.

I don't like this chopping and changing of leaders after two or three years.

For me it has to be Scully. He is the only player that seems to be 100% focused on his football and always gives 100% regardless of whether he is training or playing (look no further than his return match for proof).

I expect that one reason he is polling poorly here is that many believe he will be gone at season's end. Well, and I know I many will disagree with this, I am of the opinion that the club should be making some sort of guarantee of captaincy down the track (based on performance criteria of course), so that he is encouraged to remain at the club.

Trenners is one of a select few that you can say without reservation is playing for the jumper at the moment. Previously I would've said Grimey but Trenners has definite potential.

Am not including Moloney as he wouldn't fall into what I deem to be "long-term".

Well, and I know I many will disagree with this, I am of the opinion that the club should be making some sort of guarantee of captaincy down the track (based on performance criteria of course), so that he is encouraged to remain at the club.

I strongly disagree. If that's what it takes to get him to stay, let him go.

Guest Deefence

Short term Rivers is actually the most likely (according to current players).

Long term, give it to Trenners. His actions following his suspension have been a stand out for me in terms of poise, ability to speak to the media about a variety of issues, and his onfield actions have no peer.

Not sure if the people who voted for Watts are seriuos?

For me Beamer. This year has proved that Green was a very bad call, and should have been Moloney.

I'm starting to like Beamer more than I ever have...But Beamer can't dominate against the higher ranked teams...his stats are great when we win and poor when we lose...is at the age of 27 so doesn't fit the longer term leadership plans of melb... and has admited he has a binge drinking problem...not a good look for a captain.

That being said...he hasn't been injured this year...has gained his VC back...if he can dominated the second half of the year against the higher ranked sides. He will strongly push his case..

I strongly disagree. If that's what it takes to get him to stay, let him go.

I am saying that he has the attributes that would more than likely make him a good captain down the track, so it would not be an offer made simply to keep him at the club (but could certainly be an incentive); and in case you didn't read closely... provisos were stipulated.

I am saying that he has the attributes that would more than likely make him a good captain down the track, so it would not be an offer made simply to keep him at the club (but could certainly be an incentive); and in case you didn't read closely... provisos were stipulated.

No need to take offense just cause I disagree. Regrdless of any provisos, I don't believe a bargaining chip is a strong basis for a captain's selection in what could well be a pivotal time in the club's history.

Edited by P_Man

No need to take offense just cause I disagree. Regrdless of any provisos, I don't believe a bargaining chip is a strong basis for a captain's selection in what could well be a pivotal time in the club's history.

No offense was taken at all. I was merely stating that I believe he will have what it takes and that it has added benefits.

I voted for Jack Watts. I'm liking what I'm seeing from him out on the ground, and not just what he does in the field of play. He's quite vocal, seemingly confident and obviously speaks well. Maxwell and Tarrant had a good decent crack at him throughout the afternoon and although he still needs some muscle, he didn't take a backward step.

Definite smoky for captain in a year or two for mine.

Edited by Range Rover

I went with Beamer. Longer term I'm liking either Trengove or Grimes, but think it's still a little early for either of them.

I'd like the 2012 leadership group to be Moloney, Grimes, Trengove, Scully, Jones, Rivers. Moloney captain for 2 or 3 years (Sam Mitchell like) and then we should have a really good field of potential leaders to pick from after that.

I voted for Jack Watts. I'm liking what I'm seeing from him out on the ground, and not just what he does in the field of play. He's quite vocal, seemingly confident and obviously speaks well. Maxwell and Tarrant had a good decent crack at him throughout the afternoon and although he still needs some muscle, he didn't take a backward step.

Definite smoky for captain in a year or two for mine.

Good comments. Lets hope he continues to improve.

I want big, tough and mongrel to be pre-requisites for being our captain.

My vote goes to Jamar - not as much mongrel, but miles ahead in the other two!

VC's - Beamer, Riv-Dog & Sylvia

Leadership group (wanky concept) - Chip, Jordie Mac, Trenners

No compromise in amongst that group.

Edited by Demon Tragic