Observations for tonight from next week

Striker475

- Interesting how little influence Swan is having being tagged hard by Dempster. Didn't think a hard tag could shut him out so thoroughly.

- That said, it probably frees up whoever would have that tagging role for either Pendlebury or Daisy.

- Three key forwards - probably Rivers to Cloke, Frawl to Dawes and either Warnock back in or Martin rucking and then pushing back for Beams?

- Defensively, Bartram (if fit) or Bennell to Didak, then Strauss to Krakouer.

- Forwards are interesting. I guess try to force a mismatch there. I'd like to put Watts on Shaw, see what happens there, other than that probably put Howe on Sidebottom and let Jurrah lurk. Can't let Maxwell free down back.

EDIT: From and for, even.

Edited by Striker475

- Interesting how little influence Swan is having being tagged hard by Dempster. Didn't think a hard tag could shut him out so thoroughly.

- That said, it probably frees up whoever would have that tagging role for either Pendlebury or Daisy.

- Three key forwards - probably Rivers to Cloke, Frawl to Dawes and either Warnock back in or Martin rucking and then pushing back for Beams?

- Forwards are interesting. I guess try to force a mismatch there. I'd like to put Watts on Shaw, see what happens there, other than that probably put Howe on Sidebottom and let Jurrah lurk. Can't let Maxwell free down back.

We must keep Cloke quiet, he has been on fire Tonight. Having Scully, Trengove & Mckenzie back is huge. Jordie made 13 tackles last night!!

That said the Filth laid 33 tackles in the first Q!! Jeebers....

We must keep Cloke quiet, he has been on fire Tonight. Having Scully, Trengove & Mckenzie back is huge. Jordie made 13 tackles last night!!

That said the Filth laid 33 tackles in the first Q!! Jeebers....

Heard their record for a quarter is 34, so that's their very best. I get the feeling (especially listening to Nathan Brown talk about Arizona in pregame tonight) that they are definitely viewing the Melbourne game as a 'rest' - shows a lot that they're sending Swan off to the US instead of playing QBD.

Heard their record for a quarter is 34, so that's their very best. I get the feeling (especially listening to Nathan Brown talk about Arizona in pregame tonight) that they are definitely viewing the Melbourne game as a 'rest' - shows a lot that they're sending Swan off to the US instead of playing QBD.

As long as the Demons are "on" i don't give a dam about the Filth, if they take it easy against players like McKenzie they will get injured.

This is a tough game tonight so both teams will need the 9 days.

I would have thought the third tall was brown not Beams?

Collingwood will not take us lightly next week. They're sending Swan, Jolly and Brown because of injury. Smart move if you have the cash. I dont believe Malthouse thinks next week is a walk in the park (rest).

I would have thought the third tall was brown not Beams?

Brown is a tall but not a key forward for them, rather a slot-in. Rather like Martin vs Brisbane - goes in hunting for a mismatch and space rather than setting up in the structure. Very hard to man up on - if we had Rush I'd just give him to Martin and watch Martin take him on all over the ground, but without Rush he's very difficult to compensate for.

Beams, on the other hand, is the third 'pillar' of their forward line and how they set up. Cloke-Dawes tall, Beams as the mid-height 'third up' and Krak/Didak crumbing.

Edited by Striker475

Brown is a tall but not a key forward for them, rather a slot-in. Rather like Martin vs Brisbane - goes in hunting for a mismatch and space rather than setting up in the structure. Very hard to man up on - if we had Rush I'd just give him to Martin and watch Martin take him on all over the ground, but without Rush he's very difficult to compensate for.

Beams, on the other hand, is the third 'pillar' of their forward line and how they set up. Cloke-Dawes tall, Beams as the mid-height 'third up' and Krak/Didak crumbing.

Max Gawn will learn a lot this week. He could be a real loose Cannon for us, if he has his confidence up. He is Raw as, but with that Height could be very useful in the second half in particuliar.

would love to know what eddie was saying,and why he was spraying a fellow AFL supporter.

Just heard on the radio its alleged someone was racial vilifying Krakouer. I don't know how true it is, but even though I hate Eddie so much, completely agree with this.

Society is over s**t like this and people who do it rightly deserve to be put in their place or lockup for the night.

- Swan won't be lining up against us (thank god).

- It's a bit hard to decide who mans up on who in our forward line. Either way, whoever is manned up on Shaw MUST be accountable. With his run off half-back, I rate him as the most damaging defender going around.

Max Gawn will learn a lot this week. He could be a real loose Cannon for us, if he has his confidence up. He is Raw as, but with that Height could be very useful in the second half in particuliar.

Hopefully he gets rid of the horse stance at the start of his set shot for goal, it just looked wrong.. :lol:

- Swan won't be lining up against us (thank god).

- It's a bit hard to decide who mans up on who in our forward line. Either way, whoever is manned up on Shaw MUST be accountable. With his run off half-back, I rate him as the most damaging defender going around.

That's what I meant by the freed-up tagger. They're a side with quality in depth, so they can stretch you when their midfield is at full tilt. Without one of their top 2 it's a tag that isn't required.

Guest DeesPower

Hopefully he gets rid of the horse stance at the start of his set shot for goal, it just looked wrong.. :lol:

i've seen big Max a number of times at casey and his kicking Friday night was out of character. He is a much better kick than he showed. Perhaps after first games nerves he will settle down into more his usual style. I think he showed enough to be retained, at least until the Russian comes back

Apparently post match they asked Jordie Mac what he was thinking when Gawn took the mark and was going for goal, and JMac said "I ran to my kick -in position". LOL! :)

Love it! A real classic! LOL

Apparently post match they asked Jordie Mac what he was thinking when Gawn took the mark and was going for goal, and JMac said "I ran to my kick -in position". LOL! :)

Get a hold of Jordan Lisle's shot at goal from 25 out directly in front.

To give you a hint as to what happened, if they asked Roughead what he was thinking as he lined it up, he'd have said "I ran to the forward right pocket to my throw-in position"

I went to the St. Kilda v Pies games last night when my brother phoned saying he had an extra ticket. I sat in the members and had a graet view of the game so I took the opportunity to be a neutral observer. I thought I would share some insights. It always looked like the Sains were "just holding it together" but at any moment the Pies would break the game apart. The only reason the Pies did break it apart was because for some reason, the tags were lifted. Jones was killing Thomas but for some reason the tag was removed.

The Pies are beatable.

If St. Kilda had a half forward line (Reiwoldt can't do it on his own)they may have won the game. St. Kilda got into thier half forward line with ease. But they paid no respect to Shaw and O'Brien. Shaw is a worry but I would play him on-on-one. He gets a lot of loose ball and looks good but wins very little contested ball. His tagger should focus on him and not on the ball. Maybe Nicholson or Jones (maybe lacking pace though). O'Brien has attacking strength but can be run down if you get him in the first 3 or 4 steps or so. If we place someone super quick off the mark on him, he will resort to long bombing without thought. He resorts to this under pressure amd players should be 60m upfield of him ready for it. I would play Morton on O'Brien and keep him accountable but I am unsure if Morton is quick enough off the mark. This persono needs to tackle really well. Howe maybe?

St. Kilda looked dreadfully slow bringin the ball back in after a point to the Pies but I soon realised that it was a successful tactic. Del Santo would hold the ball for as long as the umpire let him and then would do one of two things. 1. Bomb it long to wing/half back where McEvoy or other would knock it straight over the boundary line. St. Kilda would then set up a set play and move it to their half-forward line. The Pies rarely managed to handle this tactic. Only Shaw and O'Brien being left unattended, and the Saints being Reiwoldt-happy, meant the Saints could not get through. 2. As everyone moved to the boundary to stop the "inevitable" short kick into the back pocket Del Santo would hit up a target straight up the middle about 30m away.

Players like Thomas, Didak and O'Brien do a heap of gut running. I thought they may vomit at times after three of four very long sprints trying to offer something. Saints were very static at times but the Pies designated runners, run all night. Our fitness will be tested. I reckom Howe, Evans, Strauss and Nicho may find this constant running difficult to cope with so our rotations are vital. May need to complete 120 rotations in order to stay in the game.

The stoppages were even for much of the night and I reckon our young midfielders could worry them with pace. Pendlebury is a gun and gets a heap of it, but usually forward of the ball. If a defender plays him by playing goal-side it will diminish his effectiveness. Moloney, Sylvia, Scully, Trengove, Gysberts, etc.. can 90% match it but need to concentrate. maybe Gysberts run with Pendlebury all night - come on with him, rotate when he rotates.

The main worry is Cloke and Dawes. These two are very strong overhead, helped by a lot of off-the-ball blocking. Rivers and MacDonald need to do a lot of third man up spoiling and then get up for 3rd and 4th efforts. Both Cloke and Dawes are hopeless at their feet. Although Cloke marked well early, and Dawson looked out of his league, he annoyed the carp out of Cloke by spoiling marks Cloke thought he had. These two players can be beaten through team play.

If the Dees can be intense at stoppages, account for Shaw and O'Brien, we can stay in the game. St. Kilda showed that you can get the ball into the half forward area easily, but it can come out just as easily. Our half forward line is the key for mine. I would have Watts, Jurrah and Evans through this zone. Especially, play Watts on or near Maxwell. Watt's pace will kill him as will his aerobic capacity. Maxwell HATES playing one-on-one and does not like to run too much. Nicho on Shaw, Morton on O'Brien and then take the game on. Our weakness is in covering Cloke and Dawes.

Thoughts?

Frawley - cloke

Rivers - brown

Macdonald - Dawes

Strauss - Beams

Bennell - Krakeur

if warnock is brought in i will not go and watch the match, it will mean we are getting hammered.

he was pretty good for Casey today

no doubt, newton plays well for casey too, i just dont rate them as afl players.

i think he is too slow, his disposal out of the backline is too poor, and he leaves us too top heavy in the backline. Although frawley can play small i rather him match up on a bigger opponent and let the smaller players play small.

its more of a match ups thing and i think dropping anyone from our back half on the weekend would be stupid.

Frawley - cloke

Rivers - brown

Macdonald - Dawes

Strauss - Beams

Bennell - Krakeur

I would have Frawley on Dawes. Frawley must work off Dawes with run and hurt him the other way.

Cloke on Rivers is dangerous. Must use angles and must not engage in a wrestle.

Bennell on Didak. Must flank him.

Dale Thomas, Jolly and Swan not playing.

Play through Heath Shaw's man and Nick Maxwell's man. Honour their leads and Hit them up. Ricky Petterd smashed Shaw last time doing that.

Mckenzie to run with Pendlebury.

They are beatable.