The Tom Scully Saga

It is the number one priority of the MFC to keep him. That was a first up game last night!!!!

Scully/Trengove....Lennon/McCartney.....Jagger/Richards.....

Tom Scully will bring people to the MCG...

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone should tell Mike Sheahan to stop saying Scully is definitely going to GWS

He went on and on about it today on 3AW, and the other commentators think he has inside info at Melb and therefore must be right

He knows SFA and I don't know why he doesn't shut his big fat mouth being a Dees supporter

Someone should tell Mike Sheahan to stop saying Scully is definitely going to GWS

He went on and on about it today on 3AW, and the other commentators think he has inside info at Melb and therefore must be right

He knows SFA and I don't know why he doesn't shut his big fat mouth being a Dees supporter

Couldn't agree with you more Daisycutter. I heard that as well and thought the same thing. If he has "the inside info" then what's stopping him from coming out and telling the world he's leaving. Instead, he is just speculating. He needs to shut his mouth.

IMO he's staying. This time last year things were blowing up about it down at the Cattery re: Ablett. Remember? Bomber and the speech about 'loyalty'?

They knew.

There's been no such thing at AAMI Park. It's been quiet. Every time it's come up since his press conference at the start of the year it has come up from people who are not Tom Scully. Jimma, Sheehan, Wilson, Hutchinson, Barrett, SEN, all have been guilty of pushing this story/non-story - one which will get a read in a quiet news day. I would put good money on a couple of them having a Tom Scully piece drafted and sitting in a drawer at their respective desks for a slow footy news day anyway. It'll always get a few murmurs and such, but really the only one who has any idea as to what is going on is those immediately around Tom Scully as well as Tom himself.

If it comes up tomorrow that he's signed I will certainly be willing to eat my words, but I don't think it will. I think he's staying and will be part of that 22 lifting the trophy on that one day in...September? October? Who knows....at some point in the near future.

Hi All

Not sure if anyone else heard this but I was litening to Dean Bailey being interviewed on SEN today,the boys asked him about the Scully and JT comment that Tom would be a long term player for the DEES and his reply was he didn't think he would,he knew he would be.This has given me a little bit of hope that he may say as to be completely honest I thought he was gone.

Guest milpod

Mike who?,he is about as relevant to footy as tony greig is to cricket.Have not listened to him or read a single article he has written in over 5 years.

I thought Scully was gone.But after a few things I heard and saw last night,optimism has returned.

Didn't they ask Sheahan if he had seen proof of him signing and Sheahan said no. He said that he spoken to Gabby at GWS but he also siad that he could be wrong. FFS talk about having a foot in each grave.I think Mike Sheahan revels in knowing that everyone believes that he has the inside information at Clubs. I liked that Richo and Matthews said that it was wrong that a bottom club could pick up some drafts and then have them poached by GWS. Both Richo and Matthews thought that they shouldnt be poached before 2-3 years at a Club. I also found it interesting that Ablett had an agreement in place with GS and then changed his mind during the season. When it all blew up with Bomber he changed his mind again and decided to go with GS. Hopefully if there is any truth to what Mike Sheahan is saying that Sculls has "an agreement" and nothing signed.

When Scully was walking down the ramp to the rooms with Bennell he looked genuinely happy. After kicking that goal everyone rushed over to him and he looked stoked.Waiting for all the players to come back to the front of the race he was animated with the other players. Coming off the ground up the race he looked up to the fans so hopefully that feeling will stay with him. He certainly did not look like a player that did not want to be there.

I want this to go away. I don't want this to become a sideshow like Ablett's departure became.

I want this to go away. I don't want this to become a sideshow like Ablett's departure became.

It hasn't been. It's been rather quiet. Every time it's come up it hasn't been from internal murmurings and uncertainty like Geelong last year, it's always been a media beatup.

It hasn't been. It's been rather quiet. Every time it's come up it hasn't been from internal murmurings and uncertainty like Geelong last year, it's always been a media beatup.

The media want Tom to go...it's an easy headline. Mike Sheahan should be ashamed of himself.

Did anyone see Bailey grab Tom's face post game and give him a big happy scary stare and hug?

I said to dad that he is probably saying "good game but if you leave I'll hunt you down and break your other kneecap"

God I'll be heartbroken if he leave.

Tom's expression looked very emotionally disconnected from Bailey's excitement too.

Guest milpod

@ xiss,tom would win a GF then go on a 10 km run followed by 50 shots for goal.

Driven to perfection people like Tom,tend to not show emotion.However I saw a few signs that buoyed me last night.

If he does leave,good luck to him,it is out of my,yours and probably the MFC to control.If we can't do anything to change his mind C'est la vie.

We move forward with what we have and what we can control.I can't remember one single player we have ever lost,that cost us a flag.Can you?

Did anyone see Bailey grab Tom's face post game and give him a big happy scary stare and hug?

I said to dad that he is probably saying "good game but if you leave I'll hunt you down and break your other kneecap"

God I'll be heartbroken if he leave.

Hey Jaded, I'll back him in to stay. Jimmy's battle should be enough for him to realise there is more to life than money. But saying that, he will be rewarded well at Melbourne. To me he always comes across as a Guy who is passionate about playing and performing at a high level, rather than how much money is in his pocket.

havnt seen this? where is it?

Late in the post game babbling last night on TV.

Spoke very well and gave me confidence he's in it for the long haul . B)

Guest milpod

he better not go

i'll actually cry

So will I.

But just pretend we will loose either JT JW or TS.Who will you give up?

Edited by milpod

I know Melbourne cant compete with GWS on raw contract money, nor can we cheat the cap with hidden payments... but surely management is looking at ways to show him that there is more money to be made from sponsorship deals etc by playing in Melbourne FOR Melbourne, than there is playing in some shithole in a Rugby state? I highly doubt a boot manufacturer is going to want to put Scully into their advertisements whilst wearing the ridiculous orange GWS guernsey. "Hi, i'm Tom Scully and i wear Nike boots so my ankles dont break when playing on the horrible surface out at Blacktown!". Doesn't really work does it. I might be stating the obvious... but it helps to think out loud when trying to reassure myself he'll stay!

I realise the main point of getting him to stay is hoping that he is not all about money, but to completely ignore that factor in the kids decision would be silly.

The kid is a professional, and a born 'do as I do' leader.

I cannot stress this enough - Tom will be a great.

And he will be a Melbourne great.

RPFC - you've been quite positive throughout all the speculation about Tom that he would be staying at Melbourne.

Others have been adamant he is going, and Sheahan, Barrett, and Ralph from the Herald-Sun say he could be heading north to GWS.

Do you have any evidence, or is it just a gut feeling?

Those wizards at the "Bomberblitz' website also reckon he will go. That sounds like firm evidence he'll stay.

Guest milpod

Are we now discounting the possibility that he'll go to Richmond?

Bah..why are we talking about this again?

Like judd coming to melbourne you mean?

This is probably just me trying to convince myself, as like the other posters, I will actually no joke cry if he leaves...but...he as had a press conference where he has said he hasn't signed or been approached. He has said he has been transparent with the club. I am hoping that the reason he has put off signing until the end of the year (the decision that was made in August last year) because if he wait his currency will go up on two levels 1)because GWS are after him and 2) because he is such a gun, they will have to pay him more than when he was at the end of his first contract. I am sure this has all been gone over before in one the other 55 million Tom Scully threads...As i said...I will cry if he leaves, just trying to be an optimist.

Guest milpod

What about the latest rumour......he signed but now wants out?RE:GWS

All bull/[censored].

If TOM SCULLY wants to play for the MFC he will.IF he doesn't he won't.SIMPLE

Way too much angst.I know one thing,other players have tried to position themselves and failed having 3 medals in their cabinet.Hello buckley.

Stay or go?Premiership or money?Respect or ?

Tough choice

Edited by milpod

Those who are starting to have doubts about Tom Scully ditching us, let's revisit March 4 when Scully confronted the media.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/i-havent-spoken-to-gws-melbourne-star-tom-scully/story-e6frf9jf-1226015805893

Read the article and watch the feedback video featuring Mike Sheehan and Jon Anderson. Both were impressed by Scully and anticipated he would stay. At 2.54 JA says "I still think there will be speculation. As he is out of contract and is not going to sign his contract until the end of the year." Which is exactly what is happening.

So what's changed? Scully said he hadn't been approached and anticipated he would spend his career at Melbourne. He seems like an honest kid and not some sort of shifty character, so I believed him then and I have no reason to believe anything has changed.

His freakish performance last night just gives a few of the hack journos (yes I'm looking at you Jon Ralph) an excuse to rehash the rumours. I'm not 100% sure he'll stay, but I'm pretty confident.

Colin Sylvia hasn't signed yet either. Is he off to GWS?

Edited by Sylvia Saint

RPFC - you've been quite positive throughout all the speculation about Tom that he would be staying at Melbourne.

Others have been adamant he is going, and Sheahan, Barrett, and Ralph from the Herald-Sun say he could be heading north to GWS.

Do you have any evidence, or is it just a gut feeling?

Those wizards at the "Bomberblitz' website also reckon he will go. That sounds like firm evidence he'll stay.

I have no evidence, because there isn't any.

All I can confirm is that nothing has been signed. Mate of mine works for Hutchy and the mail at Croc Media is that GWS is confident, only because of the fact that they can offer so much more than us.

They shouldn't be so cynical about the intentions of a 19 year old that just wants to play footy and be successful. The kid recently moved into a place with his sister in the SE suburbs of Melbourne and I just can't see him leaving his family here in Melbourne.

And Mike Sheahan is an old Melbourne supporter with the same hang-ups many Melbourne supporters have surrounding "what makes our club so special to override all that money" and I also think 'Gubby' Allan is abusing his friendship with him by being deliberately coy. Constant speculation and doubt helps GWS.