"Bruise Free Footy"

frankie_d

Guest Thomo

Chris Connolly's response was embarrassing.

What he should have said is "They have their opinion, but we know that this is not the case. We have confidence in the playing group, and look forward to the Carlton players regretting their comments next time we play"

Instead, he looks like a mother running on to the football field to tell the big kids to stop picking on her little boy.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree but someone had to say it and it seems like the message either isn't being delivered or isn't being received internally so if it takes someone outside the club to say it then so be it. This is what EVERY club in the AFL thinks of us and have for quite some time (probably since the late 60's-early 70's). I am sick of supporting a PISSWEAK club, I want a no-nonsense, no compromises club.

Sheedy was a scumbag who recruited players like Dean Wallis, Roger Merrett and the Johnsons and he has 4 premierships as a coach. Leigh Matthews was charged for smacking Neville Bruns behind the play how many flags did he get? Dermie and Rhys-Jones - thugs with medallions. More recently Hawthorn in 2008 playing unsociable footy - premiers. Port in 2004 with Carr, Pickett etc won a flag and should have had at least one more.

I'm sick of supporting these downhill skiers who are scared to put their bodies on the line for their club, who are scared to stick up for their mates on the field and who would rather whinge and point at each other than take the initiative to take the game by the scruff of the neck and LEAD their team mates to victory. One of the most pleasing things I have seen over the last month (probably the only pleasing thing) is Jack Watts showing that he actually wants to do this, his body just won't let him yet. Give him 2-3 more years and he will be leading this team to victory, mark my words. Guys like Sylvia, Moloney & Jones try their hardest but either don't have the skill or don't have the suppport to lift the team. But you don't have to be built like these guys to put your body on the line. Look at Toovey getting crunched going back with the flight. Look at Riewoldt going back with the flight against the Swans when he was only 22 or so. These guys have a manic desire to win the footy, win the game and do what it takes to get their club over the line. I don't see that in many of our guys, particularly those who have been there from the Daniher/Corcoran era - some of the enw guys are showing signs but we need to either instill it in the rest or weed them out and stop rewarding mediocrity; you know the same type of mediocrity that almost saw Yze beat Stynes' record for consecutive games even though he was a squib.

Your right 'Demon Ascent' !

This has to start from the top!

From the top of the administration, The CEO!!!

And from the Top of the Team,,, the Captain,,, Lleeeaad Brad, LEAD! Get back to head over the hard ball that you once did not so long AGO.... Show the troops the way!

GO HARD,,,, or Go Home!

I'm firmly of the belief that a key reason why many of our players hold back and hover around packs is because they don't fear their coach. They don't fear him because they don't fully respect him. They don't fully respect him because he doesn't have premiership pedigree and that elusive characteristic called "presence".

Let's get someone in there who does. Quickly.

It's not fear that's required, it's respect. I actually think the players do fear Bailey more than they respect him

While we do have issues to address,I think Mitch Robinson should concentrate on hitting the side of a barn and also getting his head examined for brain cells, before he opens his big ugly mouth. I would be more concerned if those comments came from good players, not D grade hacks who are only getting a game because they like playing like talentless [censored].

I hope we use these comments, and I particularly hope we use them to smash the shizen out of that arrogant, full of self importance, done nothing in 10 years footy club come Round 20.

Have to slightly disagree, Mitch does have talent and plays some really good footy in spurts. He as you rightly pointed out though spends too much time trying to be a tough guy BUT I would love to have him at MFC . From the 1st time he played against us I have disliked him as he bullies us but he is the type of player who from game 1 in AFL has that little bit of mongrel we lack. Now when I talk mongrel I don't mean bumping, pushing, off the ball stuff it is watching him go into a contest head over the ball and wanting to get the ball more than most other players around him. Whether it is older players or our young brigade we lack that visible agressive streak to win the contest.

Caveat as Artie mentioned earlier is the lack of development in the younger guys which only comes with 3-4 preseasons under the belt.

PS "bruise free footy" is the turn Dermie used to describe MFC younger players in the week leading up to the game on SEN....

The media will motivate them again this week. We actually might win (see Adelaide).

shame they cant motivate themselves !!!

Guest 36DD

I'm firmly of the belief that a key reason why many of our players hold back and hover around packs is because they don't fear their coach. They don't fear him because they don't fully respect him. They don't fully respect him because he doesn't have premiership pedigree and that elusive characteristic called "presence".

Let's get someone in there who does. Quickly.

Coaches fault, so predictable from you. Its a cultural problem, been a problem for 40 somewhat years. We need a group of players that are willing to break the cycle and stop passing on the "near enuff is good enuff" edict to players who are coming through the ranks. It can be best summised by "a comfortable culture".

Perfect case in point, 2002 semi final against Adelaide, yep we were up that year. Adelaide come out of the blocks, we are down by about 30 at quarter time, Johnno plays the half of his life and kicks 4 goals, we go into the 3rd up by about 20 and get rolled. Johnno come out and says he ran out of legs and that he would work on improving his fitness. Did that ever happen?

We have had a crap culture for 40 years, I concede that a coach can have a limited impact in this area, John Northy certainly did, however, I feel that the players are the "master of their own destiny" and we can change coaches till we are black and blue in the face, the poor culture will most certainly continue, until players make a stand, step out of the comfort zone and start doing the hard things.

"Soft" implies we are scared to go in for the hard ball. Certainly we have a few "outside" players - Bennell, Jurrah, Morton, to name three of the most cited examples - who appear reluctant to charge into a contest, but I think our weakness is just that, weakness. We are small/light/undersized, call it what you will. Until we have a side that can match it physically with the other good sides, who are mostly full of strong, big-bodied players, we will struggle. Then the players, including the perceived soft players, need to be taught to stick a tackle. Will that come with development? How much of it is down to the game plan having players in the wrong position? How much is is down to the footy department concentrating on game-plan at the expense of personal physical development?

One thing was obvious to me: against North & Carlton we had a go, but did not have the grunt to win the ball our way. No matter how hard we tackled the ball still managed to squirt out to the opposition's advantage.

Nevertheless, at the moment we have too many "outside" players and not enough "inside" players. We are unbalanced. But surely the footy department knows that and it trying to do something about it.

Great thread Tony

For example, after the 23-25 minute mark of first quarter in the game against North this is exactly one of the key areas we fell down in. Yep there were many issues other than this in the last few minutes of that 1st quarter and after quarter time, including poor strategies/moves by Bailey in the last 5 minutes of the 1st, but to me this is a stand out and not just this game.

Our inability across the ground to lay tackles and make them stick, in particular within our forward 50, continues to cost us dearly. Along with general accountability/grunt/size and HEIGHT! Even with our entire list on the park, i still see this as an issue, in particular with our forward 50 stocks.

Can't see it changing for the remainder of this year or even 2012, subject to some amazing trade pick ups/deals.

Coaches fault, so predictable from you. Its a cultural problem, been a problem for 40 somewhat years. We need a group of players that are willing to break the cycle and stop passing on the "near enuff is good enuff" edict to players who are coming through the ranks. It can be best summised by "a comfortable culture".

Perfect case in point, 2002 semi final against Adelaide, yep we were up that year. Adelaide come out of the blocks, we are down by about 30 at quarter time, Johnno plays the half of his life and kicks 4 goals, we go into the 3rd up by about 20 and get rolled. Johnno come out and says he ran out of legs and that he would work on improving his fitness. Did that ever happen?

We have had a crap culture for 40 years, I concede that a coach can have a limited impact in this area, John Northy certainly did, however, I feel that the players are the "master of their own destiny" and we can change coaches till we are black and blue in the face, the poor culture will most certainly continue, until players make a stand, step out of the comfort zone and start doing the hard things.

I agree it is up to the players to an extent; the coach cant go out and play for them. But it is up to the coach to lead the club and instill this in the players. Daniher couldn't do it and it doesn't look like Bailey can either. This is stuff that needs to be addressed consistently ( ie not just after one game or a sledging in th media) on the training track, at the selection table, in the game plan and in the rooms. Only then when it is consistently addressed and hammered into the players and the club at large will things start to change. This is what is meant by that intangible "culture".

Carlton, essendon and hawthorn have a no compromises win at all cost culture. We have a pissweak near enough is good enough, you tried your best, don't hurt our boys culture.

A great coach can change the culture of a club. Egotistical, self-obsessed, arrogant, ruthless and brilliant. Damn it if we don't need these qualities at the Melbourne Football Club if we're going to break this 40-year culture of crapness you speak about.

Winning qualities from great leaders, coaches and teachers permeate down through the ranks. It's just a fact of life that it all starts at the top.

Mick Malthouse. For the life of me I don't like that guy. Nasty, bristling, rude smart-azz of a man. But in another league as a football coach and motivator of men.

We'll never get anywhere without someone of that calibre.

Guest 36DD

A great coach can change the culture of a club. Egotistical, self-obsessed, arrogant, ruthless and brilliant. Damn it if we don't need these qualities at the Melbourne Football Club if we're going to break this 40-year culture of crapness you speak about.

Winning qualities from great leaders, coaches and teachers permeate down through the ranks. It's just a fact of life that it all starts at the top.

Mick Malthouse. For the life of me I don't like that guy. Nasty, bristling, rude smart-azz of a man. But in another league as a football coach and motivator of men.

Obviously you are from the external locus of control. I however, am from the other school of thought which says that I control my own destiny, no one other than myself can choose which path I willingly go down. I thinks its damning that professional footballers require an external voice to motivate them to achieve success.

Bailey hasn't helped his own cause, selecting Brad Green as captain was a big mistake. The captain is the conduit between the players and the coach, this is where the message is being lost.

i can just see it happening, melbourne showing a bit of heart with a mellee, and destroying the pretty boys at carlton, although mitch robinson is a tough nut, putting a bullseye on yourself in a team that has the two largest midfielders and a raging bull is quite stupid.

Robinson holds no fear over copping a decent knock because really...how could his head get any worse than it already is?

"(Brad) Green was rolling up, getting out the back on the corridor cover ... they were getting easy possessions and a lot of clearances"

Robinson really hit the nail on the head. Whilst I tend to agree with most of what he said, you shouldn't sledge another teams captain so publicly.

Hold on, "he got lot's of clearances" is a sledge?

We tend to glorify the role of the coach but the clubs that spend the most money are the ones winning premierships.

Obviously you are from the external locus of control. I however, am from the other school of thought which says that I control my own destiny, no one other than myself can choose which path I willingly go down. I thinks its damning that professional footballers require an external voice to motivate them to achieve success.

Bailey hasn't helped his own cause, selecting Brad Green as captain was a big mistake. The captain is the conduit between the players and the coach, this is where the message is being lost.

It may be damning but thats the way it is. Sure, not all of them will need some external motivator but in a group of ~42 (including rookies) some of them will and as a group they will need the coach to focus them (on the game plan, on their opponents, on their motivation). If this weren't the case why would we even have a coach in the first place? Do you think the likes of Malthouse, Matthews & Sheedy made no difference to the motivation and focus of their teams?

Guest hangon007

Can't see it changing for the remainder of this year or even 2012, subject to some amazing trade pick ups/deals.

It can & it will change & we as a group of supporters have a massive role to play.

However, not that I expect all are prepared to come along for the journey. Nope it just too hard for some, while others prefer to remain keyboard critics, all be it articulate ones.

Players come & go. However, supporters generally stay for life.

Our culture is our own ... if we want to demand our players, coaching staff & administration to go that extra inch then we must be prepared to as well. We are all in this boat together. However, all to often we are quick to have our say yet we dont back that up with our feet.

Today is today ... tomorrow many never come. "Cultures" are only a way of thinking ... if it is to be its up to me.

I attend many games and my biggest disappointment is not what I see on the field ... but what I observe & hear off the field ... IMHO our team is only a refection of that. You are naive to think players dont care about supporters, I can tell you from personal experience, all be it not with the Dees. Players surprise, surprise are only human.

I'm sure many will take these comments the wrong way ... but I'm committed for the long haul.

The times are a changing. & Yes We Can.

It can & it will change & we as a group of supporters have a massive role to play.

However, not that I expect all are prepared to come along for the journey. Nope it just too hard for some, while others prefer to remain keyboard critics, all be it articulate ones.

Players come & go. However, supporters generally stay for life.

Our culture is our own ... if we want to demand our players, coaching staff & administration to go that extra inch then we must be prepared to as well. We are all in this boat together. However, all to often we are quick to have our say yet we dont back that up with our feet.

Today is today ... tomorrow many never come. "Cultures" are only a way of thinking ... if it is to be its up to me.

I attend many games and my biggest disappointment is not what I see on the field ... but what I observe & hear off the field ... IMHO our team is only a refection of that. You are naive to think players dont care about supporters, I can tell you from personal experience, all be it not with the Dees. Players surprise, surprise are only human.

I'm sure many will take these comments the wrong way ... but I'm committed for the long haul.

The times are a changing. & Yes We Can.

I've got to admit I struggle with this. I was abused by my friends that I went to the game with on Friday night for blasting the team early on when it was clear they were playing like total crap. Being told 'don't be that guy'. But at the same time, with the dross we have been serving up I don't see an alternative.

It is all well and good to boo from the stands, I know, but at the same time I can't sit there idly and watch, say, Morton continue to stuff around with it and make basic errors.

Agreed

I have a feeling BOTH of them maybe losing the message, whatever it is, on the rest of the playing group.

If you haven't already, i suggest watching Chip's after match post-mortem (under "Demon TV" on our site) and decide for yourself. He may or may not be a good barometer but his body language/comments, particularly at the 1.00 minute mark, are pretty telling IMO.

I know things are always at there most grim straight after a loss. But i have to say i'm now very concerned about the effects this season is having right now on many within the playing group and how it may pan out at the end of the season trade wise.

Hopefully my worst fears won't be realised... eg., Scully, Chiper & others exiting stage left! :huh:

Not accurate.

Early this year in the second quarter of the game against Hawthorn, we were all over them and had hit the front, then, at the 25 minute mark with 5 minutes to go they kicked a point. Davey took the kick in and put the ball above his to signal tempo/slow down which suited Hawthorn right down to the ground, it was if we'd scored what we needed for the quarter and should just consolidate from there. Hawthorn was happy with this and they just played kick to kick for the next five minutes till the quarter ended.

My point is we had them on the ropes at that time but in typical Melbourne fashion we thought we'd done enough for the quarter and had a rest when we should have been all over them right up to the siren. When a side relaxes the other side knows it and will go for the jugular, and when that happens it's hard to get back on top. The players should have continued attacking, instead we stopped, and the rest is history. I don't know if we would have done any better in the third term but it told Hawthorn that we are easily pleased and as they found out easily beaten.

Hopefully my worst fears won't be realised... eg., Scully, Chiper & others exiting stage left! :huh:

Frawley is contracted for a couple more years.