• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Dermie's Offer

On SEN on Friday night after the game, Dermie said "I would love to go down to the Club..." and (paraphrasing the rest)and show the Melbourne forwards how to play as forwards. Josh Mahoney is not getting anything out of our forwards at the moment. Now whether that is because the ball coming in is so indirect or whether the forwards can't get back after pressing forward. It seems frustrating to see Liam put a single effort in at high centre half forward and then just jog, stop, jog without any intensity.

I really don't care how Mahoney feels about an outsider coming in but some one who was an intense and physical a player that Dermie was can only be a positive for our forward line. Generally,I don't believe that our midfield or backs are "soft" (despite one or two negatives) but I believe our forwards are soft. We have all discussed the lack of second efforts here.

What harm would having Dermie come in and provide our forwards with some of the ugly truth that we face every week.

Wouldnt ya just love to see some "hard at it, take no prisoners, take no backward steps " type of forward footy at Melbourne ?

Firstly , like him or loathe him one thng for suyre the word SOFT just isnt in his vocabulary.

Secondly, he has a pretty good footy brain. I rate him highly.

Bring it Dermie :)

Wouldnt ya just love to see some "hard at it, take no prisoners, take no backward steps " type of forward footy at Melbourne ?

Firstly , like him or loathe him one thng for suyre the word SOFT just isnt in his vocabulary.

Absolutely when the word 'soft' comes before his eyes, his brain interprets 'ruthless'! He has a go! I'd love to see Matthews and dermie helping out at Demonland. Honestly our troubles start with our Northern Stand people. They knock the hardness off them. Turn them into politicians, diplomats, and marketing advertisers delights.

Not footballers. thats why the rest of the AFL competition has NO respect for the MFC,,, and thats why we can't attract any big name players to our club. This attitude nearly caused the death of our club, and it hasn't been speared with a silver arrow yet.

On SEN on Friday night after the game, Dermie said "I would love to go down to the Club..." and (paraphrasing the rest)and show the Melbourne forwards how to play as forwards. Josh Mahoney is not getting anything out of our forwards at the moment. Now whether that is because the ball coming in is so indirect or whether the forwards can't get back after pressing forward. It seems frustrating to see Liam put a single effort in at high centre half forward and then just jog, stop, jog without any intensity.

I really don't care how Mahoney feels about an outsider coming in but some one who was an intense and physical a player that Dermie was can only be a positive for our forward line. Generally,I don't believe that our midfield or backs are "soft" (despite one or two negatives) but I believe our forwards are soft. We have all discussed the lack of second efforts here.

What harm would having Dermie come in and provide our forwards with some of the ugly truth that we face every week.

As per my other post Dermot made the offer again on saturday am on Sen he was more specific and mentioned Juice

Edited by deewakka

Definitely agree with both of those points.

Get him in, Cam.

I just don't understand our forward set up at all.

Is it to push numbers up, kick into space over the top and let our forwards run on to it ala Pagan's Paddock???

Also at centre bounces we start off in a fish bone type structure, however for the life of me I can't figure out why we start LJ off running into the square and not deep. I know who out of Juice Newton and Jurrah the opposition coaches would be more concerned about playing one out and deep in the forward line.

If he is not at the club next week then those running the club are idiots.

One of the better football brains in the game.

@ Neita3000, one problem I think we had on the weekend is that we had both Bate and LJ in the F50 who really can only play out of the square, up they ground they become less effective.

Well one can only assume that those in the corridors of power at the MFC heard this, and by hell they better listen. As someone peviously said, love him or loathe him, he played with a toughness that we've rarely ever seen at our great club. It would be an amazing opportunity for our club to instill some aggression, and some really good forward structure. And from what I've read here, it almost sounds like Dermie is begging. As an aside, does anyone know who Dermie supported growing up??

If he is soooo good as a forward coach why isnt a club legend and team of the century member Dermie hanging around Hawthorn?? Hmmmmmm. There must be a reason.

Who cares what other clubs think, if MFC believe Derm can add-value then get him in the mix. I think the great issue at the club at the moment is that our football department, apart from T Viney, has no experience in walking the walk on the footy field. Derm, come one down.

Just because you were 'tough' during your playing days doesnt mean this translates to being a brilliant coach who can instill this quality in your charges. As Rhino said, if its such a genius plan how come he hasnt been coaching non-stop since the end of his playing days? By that basis David Rhys-Jones and Dennis Banks would be peers with Norm Smith and Jock McHale.

Who cares what other clubs think, if MFC believe Derm can add-value then get him in the mix. I think the great issue at the club at the moment is that our football department, apart from T Viney, has no experience in walking the walk on the footy field. Derm, come one down.

You are dreaming about the "walk the talk" on the footy field. I would have thought Scott West and Chris Connolly would have justifiable claims to that capability in the coaching caper more so than Dermie.

If MFC are fine with getting Dermie then that is fine but he comes with a caveat. Dermie was ushered out of the Hawks in the early Clarkson days after his stewardship of the infamous and stupid "drawing the line in the sand" fiasco between Hawthorn and Essendon some years ago. Great pedigree as a player, his on field career stacks with the greats. However on radio his coaching views are entertainment but sometimes have all the depth and nous of a SEN talk back call. Some of his tribunal/match review assessments are quite bizarre and out of touch with where the game is.

Its a wonder a person of his playing pedigree is not called up more. And there are good reasons why.

You are dreaming about the "walk the talk" on the footy field. I would have thought Scott West and Chris Connolly would have justifiable claims to that capability in the coaching caper more so than Dermie.

If MFC are fine with getting Dermie then that is fine but he comes with a caveat. Dermie was ushered out of the Hawks in the early Clarkson days after his stewardship of the infamous and stupid "drawing the line in the sand" fiasco between Hawthorn and Essendon some years ago. Great pedigree as a player, his on field career stacks with the greats. However on radio his coaching views are entertainment but sometimes have all the depth and nous of a SEN talk back call. Some of his tribunal/match review assessments are quite bizarre and out of touch with where the game is.

Its a wonder a person of his playing pedigree is not called up more. And there are good reasons why.

As a forward coach, definitely no, but to provide extra help to a particular forward or two, it couldn't hurt. It's not like it's going to be difficult to discern whether any help he gives to Juice has any positive effect or not, and Juice certainly has nothing at all to lose.

of course its all rather arbitrary...as the first prerequisite is that theres actually anyone in the forward 50 :rolleyes:

Our forward line is loaded with undersized boys currently! It's not until we get some bigger bodies down there and some more muscle on the ones we have to be more physical in the contest. I'd be all for him going down to chat to the likes of Howe, Cook and Fitzpatrick cos these guys will be our future forwards. Dermie certainly has a good football brain and no question played hard and physical. I'd even like to see Neita down there offering some advice.

When Jamar comes back, Stef Martin would be handy down forward in place of Juice who should be dropped for life!

Go Dees!

As a forward coach, definitely no, but to provide extra help to a particular forward or two, it couldn't hurt. It's not like it's going to be difficult to discern whether any help he gives to Juice has any positive effect or not, and Juice certainly has nothing at all to lose.

Juice can call him privately. Given Juice's poor decision making, his likely to take any aggro advice from Dermie to the MRP for review. Unless he does something incredible Juice will be gone.

I think a very important point here is he can't possibly make things worse. So hell yes Dermie, come on down, run a few masterclasses in what it means to be a forward in the AFL, see if you can have even a little of your mojo rub off on these kids.

That is indeed a flawed criteria for appointment. It would be good to hear what it means to be a forward in the AFL. I mean he only retired in 1995 and the game has not changed at all since then. Could we possibly lure a big fish to assist us like Doug Wade?