Positives

sue

"Call me a masochist but I find Newton entertaining to watch. I mean, that shot he missed from 10 metres out was something to behold.

It put a smile on my face. Made me take it all a bit less seriously.

Thanks Juice."

Ah you're a sick puppy RR, but I'm still laughing.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I called after his debut that he looks like James Hird...everything I see keeps my view intact. He's sen-[insert choice 4-letter word]-sational.

His diposal by foot needs to improve but I like the Hird comparison. Does have look about him.

Guest Artie Bucco

It's a legitimate position to view footy from, it's just not yours and mine. They are theatre goers who pay their money and expect a returns regardless of the situation.

I've never seen footy in those terms.

Fair point.

I can disagree with their opinion, but I can't tell them how to enjoy their football.

So does this mean that, no matter how many times I point out to them why they are wrong and I am right, they will never come around and see things my way?

How deflating.

Guest Artie Bucco

His diposal by foot needs to improve but I like the Hird comparison. Does have look about him.

I think some of his kicks look like poor kicks, but tend to still hit the mark.

He did end up joint-winner for the kicking skills test at draft camp, from memory.

I think some of his kicks look like poor kicks, but tend to still hit the mark.

He did end up joint-winner for the kicking skills test at draft camp, from memory.

The more I look at that draft, the more I think we effectively got 4 top 10 draft players in what was a very deep draft - with Winmar at 32, Hooper at 58, Dennis-Lane at 56 and such.

Some lazy fans are incapable of intelligent thought and analysis of the game, and instead prefer to moan until we become good again.

Then they feverishly pat themselves on the back for not accepting mediocrity.

It's always struck me as injustice that this sort of supporter gets as much or more pleasure from a win and feels vindicated than the thinking and supportive supporter.

Honestly the softie supporters on here.

Tell me what I'm missing -

We had 6+ of our best players 22 out including 4 or perhaps five of our top 10.

We lost by 20 points to a team that was one bounce away from a flag last year.

We were restricted by injury during the game.

We saw some terrific indicators.

It was a loss, yes, but it wasn't wrist slashing stuff. The response is illogical and pathetic.

you guys really should get a room.

Guest Artie Bucco

The more I look at that draft, the more I think we effectively got 4 top 10 draft players in what was a very deep draft - with Winmar at 32, Hooper at 58, Dennis-Lane at 56 and such.

Funny, cos I remember, at the time of that draft, opposition supporters trying to claim we got a load of picks in a weak draft, and that Scully would have gone around pick 5-10 the previous year.

I even remember being told he would have gone AFTER Ziebell.

Tapscott wouldn't be equivalent to a top 10 pick though.

Handy with a cannon of a boot, but not quite as good as the other 3.

Funny, cos I remember, at the time of that draft, opposition supporters trying to claim we got a load of picks in a weak draft, and that Scully would have gone around pick 5-10 the previous year.

I even remember being told he would have gone AFTER Ziebell.

Tapscott wouldn't be equivalent to a top 10 pick though.

Handy with a cannon of a boot, but not quite as good as the other 3.

I reckon he might have, think he was injured though.

How we got Gys at 11 watching him now is beyond me.

I was thinking about the old training drill we used to do as kids, where the coach would kick the ball out and you had to go 1 on 1 and get the ball and bring it back.

I then pictured Newton and Kozi doing it an d I laughed to myself. It would be pure comedy. They would probably fall over themselves, bump each other over by accident, knock each other out or just run around like headless chicken only to accidentaly find the ball in one of their hands!

Just missed the Benny Hill music and the picture would be complete!

Watts was great. He uses the ball exceptionally well and creates a contest. I would start him and half forward and let him drift back and play through the centre. He's going to be a gun. He's huge and well and is going to knock somebody out Neitz style

Great call, I was sitting right behind the players bench and every time he came off he was blowing! Good signs for sure!

- To lose by 20 to St Kilda with an in-form Riewoldt and Goddard wasn't a bad result. Keep in mind, this was a side missing Jamar, Grimes, Tapscott, Scully, Trengove and Garland from its best 22.

- Bulldogs have just lost to West Coast by 123 points. Gives a nice bit of context to our 44 point loss (with very inaccurate kicking) earlier in the year.

Edited by wisedog

I seriously think I could outmark newton. I have never seen a more inept player at making position as the ball comes to him in a one on one contest. It's embarrassing and the number 29 should be shelved indefinately after this year.

Martin, Watts, Jetta, Evans, Sylvia, Green all positives from the day.

It really wasn't all bad, just a case of the negatives outweighing hem

yes like the scoreboard

Yeah I loved this moment, as well as in the third with his bump on the saints players over the boundary line. We were close to getting in front in the third but just lacked the class or poise to put the score on the board - which is understandable given our injuries. I thought they at least had a crack today.

Maric - kicked a couple of good set shots that kept us in touch while other more experienced players missed their opportunities

If we had a few more that played with his ferocity and aggression and tenacity,,,, we might be on the way, that former young melbourne sides from the middle of ther last century took, on their way to success. Bleed for the Jumper.

Anyone else get the vibe from today that with a shade of extra class we would have had them? A Scully, a Trengove, a Jamar, hell a Col Garland in there seemed to possibly be all the difference today.

Garland on Riewoldt, and Trengove on Montagna may have done It., and Evans coming in may have relieved Davey to the Sub spot.

The one big positive I realised yeasterday. Thank god Kosi isnt playing for us. Even the saints fans in front of me get frustrated.

The debut of Evans. 27 possies and not afraid to get the ball. I know he has a little bit of work to do on his passing but he looks good.

Watts just uses the ball smartly. He doesnt blaze away he just holds back until a good option comes.

Martins ruck work is getting better. He has a great leap and he is probably realising now how much Jamar works.

10 metres out....you're being generous! But he is hilariously woeful ;)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From where I was(opposite end), it looked as if Newton was one metre out, directly in front of the centre of the goals, and managed to hook it at right-angles to miss. From my position, it looked as if it would have been hard to miss if you tried!

I agree with the above posters about the positives..... Evans, Watts, Martin and McKenzie. Frawley was obviously told to play attacking footy, to run hard, break the lines, and attack up the centre. This came unstuck a few times, but looks like a winning tactic to me, if we persist.

Maric's goal sense is starting to shine through.

I thought Joel McDonald looked up to it under pressure, and "Gizzards" reminds me more of Pendlebury than Hird.....but either will do!

Jetta showed a bit, I thought.

Take away three silly errors costing goals, and Newton's unbelievable miss, and we'd have beaten the Grand Finalists(who have nearly a full list, I think.)

I reckon he might have, think he was injured though.

How we got Gys at 11 watching him now is beyond me.

He is gonna be super, and might end up top 10 from the draft but : Rohan (6),Butcher(8), Moore (9), Melksham (10) are the reasons why, all very nice especially melksham in my opinion Rohan is quite nice havnt seen alot of Moore but is still justified and Butcher is one who will require time.

Your point taken Gysberts could end up the best mid out of these guys

I agree that Tapscott would really stretch to go top 10 but if the draft was done again we wouldnt get him at 18 thats for sure he might go 13 after Kane Lucas if not 12 before him

Guest Artie Bucco

From memory Gysberts was playing through injury (hips?) during his final year of TAC cup footy, but Wheatley was on the coaching staff down at Eastern Ranges, so we knew exactly what he was dealing with.

His performances were still above average, but we knew he had even more in him.

I recall Emma Quayle saying (& I'm heavily paraphrasing) he was the type of guy who would not stand out, but in certain sequences of play you'd think "wait, who did THAT?" in reference to an exceptional link in the chain of ball movement, and invariably it would be Gysberts.

Same thing happened on Saturday - at times I was rewinding to marvel at his clean hands in heavy congestion.

He's already as good as any I've seen (although I was too young to really appreciate Greg Williams).

From memory Gysberts was playing through injury (hips?) during his final year of TAC cup footy, but Wheatley was on the coaching staff down at Eastern Ranges, so we knew exactly what he was dealing with.

His performances were still above average, but we knew he had even more in him.

I recall Emma Quayle saying (& I'm heavily paraphrasing) he was the type of guy who would not stand out, but in certain sequences of play you'd think "wait, who did THAT?" in reference to an exceptional link in the chain of ball movement, and invariably it would be Gysberts.

Same thing happened on Saturday - at times I was rewinding to marvel at his clean hands in heavy congestion.

He's already as good as any I've seen (although I was too young to really appreciate Greg Williams).

That middle line sums him up for me. He's amazing yet you don't realise it.

that we won in contested posession and tackle count

that it looked like we wanted to be playing out their, most of the players at least.

we were just out classed, they kicked 11 goals off our turnovers and that is what killed us.

lots of positives to take from the game on the whole, and other than basic skill errors, i thought it wasnt too badder match from our point of view.