Today proves to me that Bailey must go

Guest Thomo

I've been saying for a while that we have been underachieving and that we should be pushing forward this season. We are in the eight now and I do not see any reason why we should not be there at end of round 22. Baileys job for the rest of the season to keep the players focused on grabbing the 4 points every week. I don't want to see yesterdays performance as an aberration caused by the humiliation factor. As long as we are on track he stays but can't afford any backsliding.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted the following previously before this weekends match

"A win next week isnt good enough even if it happens, it has to be the continuing performence from here on in

No more capitulations each game has to be fought right out to its bitter end even if we are loosing

We as supporters should demand nothing less.

And should that occur, it may be the only thing that could possibly save Bailey from the axe come end of season ."

Aftyer hearing Baileys Press conferance it is nice to see him state this clearly

The players themselves are the only ones who know why they put in the performence they did against Westcoast.

However I have believed for a very very long time that the difference between a good coach and a also ran coach is that the good coach gets his players up each week and ensures they perform to their maximum , even if they dont win on the day.

In Comparing last weeks performance to this weeks, this has obviously this has not been the case.

The players by this weeks performence show clearly they are capabale of playing some good football, it is getting them to perform with consistency that is the true test of a good coach .

I still do not believe Bailey is the coach to take us to that level, to be to truly be considered a real contender for a Grand Final Flag

If Bailey manages to get that consistency out of the players so they perform on a consistent basis, then maybe Ill reconsider my view

This season holds the key to Baileys aspirations and we all know that.

A one off performence wont do it and he knows that, now we need to see if he can get them to perform each week to the best of their abilities, now we know what they are capable of this becomes even harder for Bailey, but thats what a good coach can deal with.

This season will tell if Bailey falls in that category

Did anyone hear interview with Bails BEFORE the match on 3AW yesterday? Was pretty impressive. Sounded like a premiership coach in the offing. Lets hope the boys and Bails can continue the intensity and effort on a weekly basis from here.

The big tests will be how we go away (west of our border) and *^&^hed stadium (next few weeks). The Roos usually lift against us. Love rubbing our noses in it. Bout the only highlight ive seen there against em in last few years was Juice's screamer :huh:

Edited by Rusty Nails

I've been saying for a while that we have been underachieving and that we should be pushing forward this season. We are in the eight now and I do not see any reason why we should not be there at end of round 22. Baileys job for the rest of the season to keep the players focused on grabbing the 4 points every week. I don't want to see yesterdays performance as an aberration caused by the humiliation factor. As long as we are on track he stays but can't afford any backsliding.

Here some reasons: Round 9 - 12

ST KILDA

CARLTON

ESSENDON

COLLINGWOOD

I for one was shattered when we lost to West Coast, and I let my feelings be known, but I still rock up to the games and support my team, I also go and have a look at the final run on a Satuday morning, I am lucky to live quite close.

I have become such a regular, Dean Bailey approached me to talk, which he has in the past, if you have a question, ask him guys, he will give you a straight answer.

The converations on Saturday went a bit like this, it is not verbatim

Me.....enjoy the week Dean

DB.....yeah...

Me...you first about last week

DB...we were shithouse

Me...we had a couple of positives, Jack Watts, Bartram's consistency

DB..... Yeah but the players are so frustrated, they don't want to play like that and they won't tomorrow

Me...we seem to panic

DB...yeah but we shouldn't

Me......at least a couple of players have put their hand up and walked through the door....I indicated Matty Bate who was in front of us

DB...yeah and Matty Warnock has been really consistent

Me...What about my favourite Nev Jetta

DB...yeah love his attitude and tackling....

He then went to walk away to take training, as he left I said I like the fact that the players were learning and wished him look

I have had at least three or four conversations like this, he may look on the outside like he is cool and collected, but inside he feels everything.........I for one want him to be there when we start to display what we did yesterday consistently, and so do the players

I still do not believe Bailey is the coach to take us to that level, to be to truly be considered a real contender for a Grand Final Flag

This season will tell if Bailey falls in that category

You are asking a question you have already decided...

A bit disengenuous.

Bailey needs moreof these performances, more often, but if he gets them I don't care if gets an extension.

I just want to see improvement and the makings of a flag winning outfit.

I agree somewhat with the OP. The real test for Bailey comes in the following two matches at Etihad.

Win those without the 'wind assistance' of the media blowtorch and the ice he's skating on will have thickened up a bit.

You have already decided aswell.

Of course, you would go along with Thomo - you don't want yesterday to ruin the premise for your early call for Bailey's head.

It is too early, and we will see whether Bailey can inspire that performance more often this season and see us improve enough to keep his job.

But yesterday was nothing but a major positive for a young Demon outfit to get a great deal out of its 'senior' (read: older) players and for its forward line to be defensively massive.

Guest Gotzy15

Thomo..... i truely agree with you mate. I expect quite a lot of fellow demonlanders to raise eyebrows when they read this thread but i personally think it has a lot of merit and you have backed up your contention with some tapscott like (solid) arguments.Ive always believed Bails is a very good development coach but youre right about the fact that our performance yesterday proves that he cannot get players up for games which is exactly what a match day (senior coach) needs to be very capable of performing along with providing the main structures at the start of the game and adjusting them and the match ups as the game progresses. I think that those supporters & members who are using the 'young inconsistent side' argument are really off the mark. Yesterdays performance proves that we do have the big strong bodies who have now played enough AFL football to understand what the standard must be in terms of pressure, tackling and all the other 'one percenters'. The big strong bodies are the ones that must make their tackles stick and the lighter bodies need to set the standard with their pressure (running chasing harassing smothering shepherding etc). I think that all those attributes are there and have been there all year and to me the buck stops with Bails as to why we havent been performing those particular skills to the required standard week in week out.

In Baileys defence though i like the fact that he has obviously had a look at our structures and stuck to what hes been trying to implement for the last 4 years but with a bigger emphasis on forward pressure and pressing. I like the fact that he outcoached a master in Neil Craig and that we made a well drilled side like Adelaide look fifth rate. Im still leaning towards Bailey not coaching next year but geeeez guys how interesting does this become now. Whats the gut feel for the rest of this year and 2012? Do we still pursue other coaches like Malthouse and Roos if these performances continue??

Guest Artie Bucco

I don't raise my eyebrows at this thread.

It's the same old names peddling their misperceptions, unwilling to admit they decided too quickly, because they are desperate to be able to say they were right all along.

You've taken the easy option, the wrong option, and no one will be impressed with you if he indeed does get let go by year's end.

Guest watts04

not a bad thread

if we lose to north we are back to square one and the intensity and attitude arent right and Bailey must be questioned.

as we all said after West Coast, if the consistency wasnt there for the next month then he may have to go

A win against the Crows we all knew would happen, what happens the next few weeks is key

What I love about this thread: the players say it is about the players; Bailey says it is about the players; demonland posters know it is about bailey.

I'm hoping I can get similar insights into the stockmarket from here - at least I know how I will lose my money.

There are so many factors in play and yet you have isolated just one.

Against WC I thought Cox was dominant and clearances are key but yesterday Moloney and Jamar ruled.

We had some major changes of personnel.

I thought Bartrum closed down Thompson.

Petterd did well.

We played at home and didnt travel across a continent.

They seemed not to tag Davey.

I disagree with your conclusion.

I know it goes against what most will think after such a great win, but today proved to me that Dean Bailey needs to be sacked. During the week I wrote

"I may seem strange, but I will be disappointed if the team can suddenly lay more tackles and play with more passion and desire than last week.

For the last few years, Melbourne has struggled because of being a young developing team. If the team can actually come out and lift this weekend because of the pressure put on them since the loss, it shows a real problem at the club in getting motivated to play AFL every week. To me this is much worse, and the coaching staff need to take the blame, and the coach must go."

All week some posted stated that the reason for Melbourne’s poor performance this year is because of the size of the younger players and the lack of quality in the senior players. Today proved that this is not the case. Melbourne were too physical and too hungry for the Crows today. When given the right motivation, the players can lift and play with desire by running hard and tackling

Dean Bailey has not been able to motivate the playing group, that is why they have preformed so badly. The media spent a week motivating the players and they came out and dominated. If Bailey cannot get the best out of the players each week, find someone that can.

not a bad thread

if we lose to north we are back to square one and the intensity and attitude arent right and Bailey must be questioned.

as we all said after West Coast, if the consistency wasnt there for the next month then he may have to go

A win against the Crows we all knew would happen, what happens the next few weeks is key

Such short term week by week thinking is dangerous. Players, and eventually the coach/coaching staff will start planning/playing for survival. Then it ceases to become a team effort. It's every man for himself.

Personally i believe the culture of excepting mediocrity has now changed across the Club collectively (ie., supporters, players/FD/coach and board) and we have finally (i hope) drawn a line in the sand. As Bailey said yesterday, we've set a new benchmark and we need to aim for it every week from here.

Not saying we wont see any further lows/and unpalatable defeats. But i doubt we'll see capitulations like last Thurs or 2nd half Dawks game. The level of intensity, attack and application over 4 quarters that everyone expects, needs to be 1st class from here. We should have a better understanding of where the boys are at by round 11/12.

Stick tight demonoids. Looking forward to forking (that's "pitch" forking Mods!) some Roo arse on a big fiery pit of hell this week!!

Mighty Demons Forever!

B)

Guest Rojik of the Arctic
Personally i believe the culture of excepting mediocrity has now changed across the Club collectively (ie., supporters, players/FD/coach and board) and we have finally (i hope) drawn a line in the sand.

I really, really hope so. I don't mind losing as much as I hate watching them play without spirit even if we get the points.

Perhaps the OP knows better than the players? A quote from an interview with Garland regarding a motivational talk the team got from former Melbourne Storm player Robbie Kearns:

"Dean can't play the game for us and I guess as a playing group we were really stung that Dean was copping a bit of criticism. You don't go out and play for one particular person, I guess we're all in it together but you definitely want to play well for Dean because he has been so supportive," he said.

"We know the game-plan was under criticism but we knew that if we came with the right mental attitude we could win the game."

You have already decided aswell.

Of course, you would go along with Thomo - you don't want yesterday to ruin the premise for your early call for Bailey's head.

It is too early, and we will see whether Bailey can inspire that performance more often this season and see us improve enough to keep his job.

But yesterday was nothing but a major positive for a young Demon outfit to get a great deal out of its 'senior' (read: older) players and for its forward line to be defensively massive.

I want Mick Malthouse to coach us and have advocated us making a play for him ever since he potentially became available.

A rollercoaster of wins and losses this year under Bailey won't change my opinion about that.

18-20k was definitely to be expected.

Indeed. We had about 10% more than I expected.

I'm hoping I can get similar insights into the stockmarket from here - at least I know how I will lose my money.

It's funny you mention the stockmarket, because every week I come on Demonland and read many posters who have flipped and flopped their positions on all manner of things based on the most recent game.

I always wonder whether they approach other facets of their life - including the stockmarket - in the same way.

I want Mick Malthouse to coach us and have advocated us making a play for him ever since he potentially became available.

A rollercoaster of wins and losses this year under Bailey won't change my opinion about that.

With that in mind, the rest of us on land should take your continued posting on this subject with a hefty dose of salt.

You have an opinion - it won't change.

All future developments are meaningless to you, so your input should be meaningless to Land.

With that in mind, the rest of us on land should take your continued posting on this subject with a hefty dose of salt.

You have an opinion - it won't change.

All future developments are meaningless to you, so your input should be meaningless to Land.

I have stated that it would take a minor miracle for me to change my mind. For me that would be for the team to maintain that sort of form for the rest of the season. That's my only caveat.

I can't see it happening but will eat a bit of humble pie if we do.

Meanwhile, my input should continue to be highly valued by all "Landers including yourself. Where would you be without us agitators? Think about it.

Edited by Range Rover

I really, really hope so. I don't mind losing as much as I hate watching them play without spirit even if we get the points.

Yeh. Fingers crossed Rojik. Hec, we might even get Thomo to see the light from here! I reckon deep down he actually :wub: Bailes and wants to keep him on! Common Thomo....outski!

P.S. Not with you on the don't mind losing bit. :huh: Seen enough of those in 70's, 80's, 90's and Naughties to last me a lifetime!

Edited by Rusty Nails

Here some reasons: Round 9 - 12

ST KILDA

CARLTON

ESSENDON

COLLINGWOOD

If can get consistent form we are are good chance to beat SK. C and E. As with the filth anything can happen going by last seasons efforts. Its a long season and the real pretenders have not been exposed yet. Taking two of these games in not an unreasonable expectation. Now that we have 14 points on the board a 50% success rate for the rest of the season should get us there. And we have another crack at GCS and Brisbane to boot. The opportunities are there for Bailey to get this team a finals campaign. If he gets us there I would persevere with him. But if we drop out of the running for the finals then he must go.

Edited by america de cali

I have stated that it would take a minor miracle for me to change my mind. For me that would be for the team to maintain that sort of form for the rest of the season. That's my only caveat.

I can't see it happening but will eat a bit of humble pie if we do.

Meanwhile, my input should continue to be highly valued by all "Landers including yourself. Where would you be without us agitators? Think about it.

How about agitating the softer players on our list & try putting a bur in their saddles. If you want to be constructive.

Probably. They sell on the lows and buy on the highs.

I like to keep mine as an investment. We get dividends every so often. Yesterday was a nice 4 point dividend, with a nice % on my investment.

Why sell ?

I bought mine long ago, rocky road granted but looking forward * it excites me.

*Apologies for political term