• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Mick Malthouse, Paul Roos, Garry Lyon on Jim Stynes' contact list

DemonOX

id be very happy with a Laidley - Viney combination

youd be mad ..if not criminal not to look at Malthouse..., not to talk to Roos

in fact not to have a good look around.

no more pups though

Is he a relative of yours B59? I continue to taste sick in my mouth every time he gets mentioned, and bugger me, 99% of the time it's by you!

I do not see in any way how Laidley in any role at the Club will be an improvement. I know you'll use the old card of his football brain being among the top echelon, but let's not forget that DB is meant to be one of the better player developers too. Means stuff all in my view.

I have been in the DB camp since day 1, and only now am I starting to question if he is the man. That will of course add me to your fence-sitting list, but I don't see how anyone can make a true judgement after just Round 6. We are not a flag threat, and to be honest, I only rated us a Top 8 threat, not a Top 8 certainty. At this stage, I'm happy to leave DB there until the end of the year as it isn't going to harm us. Then reassess.

If, and it's a bloody big IF, DB proves that he isn't the man, I don't see the harm in looking at Todd Viney. People on here are whinging about this "culture" and getting an "outsider" coming in, well, where did Bailey come from? Where did ND come from? Actually, when was the last non-outsider our coach?

I think Viney has a massive amount of upside, especially when compared to Lyon. I wouldn't be too concerned about the father/son thing either, could get the son to a level that he didn't know he had.

Ideal scenario for me, Bailey lasts til the end of the season regardless. If he can meet the KPI's that the inner sanctum have set, he almost has to get an extension (don't panic Bailey-haters, at this stage you would assume he isn't meeting them). If he doesn't meet them, then obviously the Club would have to consider Malthouse or Roos, but there is absolutely no guarantee that either will want the job. If not, then I would seriously consider Todd Viney. And, further to that, don't understand the sudden fetish of having a "director of coaching" or similar, but that's just me.

In my opinion, Bailey doesnt seem like the "best" coach in the league, i am not a Bailey hater and have tried to avoid voicing opinion on the subject. I do think he has brought in the talent needed and is developing them, but....

If MFC are serious about winning a premiership any time soon then they should aim to lure "THE BEST" towards the club, we want the best players etc, that needs to be complimented by the best coaching department possible.

To me Bailey doesnt seem like the BEST option possible atm, trouble is only 1-2 clubs can have "the best" 16 others will not....

Also, who will be the "best coach" in 3 years time when we are realistically pushing for the premiership? will it still be Malthouse and Roos? who knows

Thomson wasnt anywhere near the best until his teams breakthrough season, no he is "great"? it is amazing how premierships change the perspective of a coach.... Clarkson..... Had the great year but how well can he coach the new forward press?

This is what needs to be answered, can Bailey do a Thomson?

Is he a relative of yours B59? I continue to taste sick in my mouth every time he gets mentioned, and bugger me, 99% of the time it's by you!

I do not see in any way how Laidley in any role at the Club will be an improvement. I know you'll use the old card of his football brain being among the top echelon, but let's not forget that DB is meant to be one of the better player developers too. Means stuff all in my view.

I have been in the DB camp since day 1, and only now am I starting to question if he is the man. That will of course add me to your fence-sitting list, but I don't see how anyone can make a true judgement after just Round 6. We are not a flag threat, and to be honest, I only rated us a Top 8 threat, not a Top 8 certainty. At this stage, I'm happy to leave DB there until the end of the year as it isn't going to harm us. Then reassess.

If, and it's a bloody big IF, DB proves that he isn't the man, I don't see the harm in looking at Todd Viney. People on here are whinging about this "culture" and getting an "outsider" coming in, well, where did Bailey come from? Where did ND come from? Actually, when was the last non-outsider our coach?

I think Viney has a massive amount of upside, especially when compared to Lyon. I wouldn't be too concerned about the father/son thing either, could get the son to a level that he didn't know he had.

Ideal scenario for me, Bailey lasts til the end of the season regardless. If he can meet the KPI's that the inner sanctum have set, he almost has to get an extension (don't panic Bailey-haters, at this stage you would assume he isn't meeting them). If he doesn't meet them, then obviously the Club would have to consider Malthouse or Roos, but there is absolutely no guarantee that either will want the job. If not, then I would seriously consider Todd Viney. And, further to that, don't understand the sudden fetish of having a "director of coaching" or similar, but that's just me.

geez Billy ...you old charmer...such a way with words havent you.

Lets see.. Laidley continued to maximise the efforts out of his charges. Nth nearly always punched above their weight. He emphasied playing for the jumper and got those buggers to bleed for it. That team was one you never took the pedal off against. His list was arguably at many times less than ours but continued to rub our little noses in the brown stuff..

Is universally respected amongst his peers as a very good game day tactician, something Bailey sucks a.. Has a very good football mind..

Maybe Bailey is quite good at development.. but any number of people can do that surely. I happen to think we need someone who knows how do silly liitle things like orchestrate a win . Laidley is one amongst a number who proved adept at thinking on their feet during a game and restructuring to suit. I see absolutely none of this from our Dean and that seriously worries me.

Nice to see you agree that Viney has capabilities .. But did you notice i paired him with laidley in the same way Thompson is with Hird ? Older head with younger verve ...did ya ?

Forget Laidley!

Let's aim a little bit higher with out expectations than him.

A hardly flattering stint with the Roos, and now part of the Port Adelaide rabble............I can't see the appeal myself.

And Viney as coach...........I rate Viney highly, but just think it needs to be someone non Melbourne, and with proven success, and that can build a strong culture.

Malthouse or Roos for mine!

Ive no problem with Malthouse or Roos, but given the number of clubs who'll be chasing them I m not sure theyd be chasing us.

Many might forget DL was also an assisatant to MM...he knows that game too

We went for him once...not without good reason , imho.

But hes but one option

Ive no problem with Malthouse or Roos, but given the number of clubs who'll be chasing them I m not sure theyd be chasing us.

Many might forget DL was also an assisatant to MM...he knows that game too

We went for him once...not without good reason , imho.

But hes but one option

I think the club has a far more compelling case than what it did when we recruited Bailey as coach.

Debt free, new facilities, stable board, young list with a big upside, record memebership, etc etc.

As a result, we shouldn't be afraid to go after a big name, and with respect to a Laidley / Viney combo, we shouldn't accept second best.

If Mick Malthouse walked in the door as the new coach of the club, imagine what that would do to the club as a whole, and the players in particular.

To a young and impressionable list, the impact of Malthouse taking the reigns would be enormous.

geez Billy ...you old charmer...such a way with words havent you.

Lets see.. Laidley continued to maximise the efforts out of his charges. Nth nearly always punched above their weight. He emphasied playing for the jumper and got those buggers to bleed for it. That team was one you never took the pedal off against. His list was arguably at many times less than ours but continued to rub our little noses in the brown stuff..

Is universally respected amongst his peers as a very good game day tactician, something Bailey sucks a.. Has a very good football mind..

Maybe Bailey is quite good at development.. but any number of people can do that surely. I happen to think we need someone who knows how do silly liitle things like orchestrate a win . Laidley is one amongst a number who proved adept at thinking on their feet during a game and restructuring to suit. I see absolutely none of this from our Dean and that seriously worries me.

Nice to see you agree that Viney has capabilities .. But did you notice i paired him with laidley in the same way Thompson is with Hird ? Older head with younger verve ...did ya ?

It is because of the attitude that has crippled North for the past decade and a half. They haven't bottomed out, because they always finish around the 8th, 9th, 10th spot. They miss out on top draft picks, and while they may have the odd sniff of finals footy every few years, are generally bundled out straight away. I like your reasoning about getting a team up and playing out of their division, but I'd prefer to be in the top division and playing so. That's the division that wins flags, not the next one down. Obviously we are a long way from being in that division, but I have no doubt that Laidley has to take a considerable amount of responsibility for the fact the the Kangaroos are in the situaation that they are in.

I did notice that you paired Viney with Laidley, and I'm still unsure of 2 things, 1. Why pair him with Laidley? and 2. Why pair him with anyone?????? There is absolutely no evidence that the director of coaching/mentor-type role is a success, as a matter of fact, to date there hasn't been one team that I know of win a premiership with one!

theres a good question there or two.

Ive paired him for the reason that I beleive this is the way forward. Not just for our club but the game in general. The game as its evolving is requiring so much more in terms of the FD's. Whilst it wasnt always the success in the past its become much more prevalent over the last few years. Viney Hasnt coached at teh top level yet. I see the pairing of old cluey mind with a solid footy minded and successful ( at other levels ) newbie is , well , a form of insurance. The older wiser one can not only be a game sounding board but a mentor in general as they will know exactly what the junior partner is experiencing.

Collingwood are enhancing their FD . Its their preference to keep Mick if they can for this very reason.. To maintain the brains trust and to help the newbie. Essendon actually used this with Sheeds and his undercharges...it was a defacto verison of the older/younger, they just didnt plaster it up on the walls for al lto see, as is the want now.

I m all for someone who can time after time...and such consistency is imperitive, muster his charges to give their all, and then some. Quite simply , on the evidence at hand Bailey cant.

thats where Im coming from. Hes respected at Melbourne...otherwise why'd we go after him :)

theres a good question there or two.

Ive paired him for the reason that I beleive this is the way forward. Not just for our club but the game in general. The game as its evolving is requiring so much more in terms of the FD's. Whilst it wasnt always the success in the past its become much more prevalent over the last few years. Viney Hasnt coached at teh top level yet. I see the pairing of old cluey mind with a solid footy minded and successful ( at other levels ) newbie is , well , a form of insurance. The older wiser one can not only be a game sounding board but a mentor in general as they will know exactly what the junior partner is experiencing.

Collingwood are enhancing their FD . Its their preference to keep Mick if they can for this very reason.. To maintain the brains trust and to help the newbie. Essendon actually used this with Sheeds and his undercharges...it was a defacto verison of the older/younger, they just didnt plaster it up on the walls for al lto see, as is the want now.

I m all for someone who can time after time...and such consistency is imperitive, muster his charges to give their all, and then some. Quite simply , on the evidence at hand Bailey cant.

thats where Im coming from. Hes respected at Melbourne...otherwise why'd we go after him :)

And of the Clubs that have such coaching combination in place, or expected to next year, who are the "old cluey minds"? Mark Thompson, Mick Malthouse, Mark Williams (is that what he is doing at GWS?), and to some degree, Paul Roos did it.

Laidley is doing it at Port, hasn't helped Primus (also a newbie). Also, he has one noticable difference compared to that of the abovementioned names, he hasn't won a flag.

If you are going to bring in another newbie, for example Todd Viney, and if we so desperately need this older person that has been there and done it, I want someone that has won a flag, not someone who is technically good with the players.

Port are a basket case... Primus all but said this recently . He refered to the "culture' at Port and the inherent problems.

Keep in mind simply having one a premiership doesnt guarantee it is a lay down to replicate elsewhere. But its a beginning and fair enough

I see timiing working against us ( or anyone ) whos after Mouse. He'l lbe tied up til Grand Final after parties !!

Roos might be an easier one to court

Port are a basket case... Primus all but said this recently . He refered to the "culture' at Port and the inherent problems.

Keep in mind simply having one a premiership doesnt guarantee it is a lay down to replicate elsewhere. But its a beginning and fair enough

I see timiing working against us ( or anyone ) whos after Mouse. He'l lbe tied up til Grand Final after parties !!

Roos might be an easier one to court

There's not much difference between them and us!

So, we are going from wanting to have the best in the business as our senior coach ie Malthouse or Roos, but doesn't it generally mean that they are the best becuase they have tasted the ultimate success?

I think Melbourne know very well about the fact that a past premiership doesn't assure you of one at your Club, if it didn't they wouldn't have passed on Sheedy 4 years ago.

There's not much difference between them and us!

oh yes there is.. youve got the old boys club playing there. Some think they 'deserve' their place becasue they turn up. Has caused/causing much division..

Doesnt exist at Melboune

So, we are going from wanting to have the best in the business as our senior coach ie Malthouse or Roos, but doesn't it generally mean that they are the best becuase they have tasted the ultimate success?

I think Melbourne know very well about the fact that a past premiership doesn't assure you of one at your Club, if it didn't they wouldn't have passed on Sheedy 4 years ago.

yep passed on sheeds but chased Laidley...well there you are :rolleyes:

Neil Craig (probably in a moment of senility) thought they were pretty good!

Cultural problems at Port

Its actually Laidley leading off with this but in the article Primus is shown to not only know of it but to have open the box in an efort to deal with it.

Its actually Laidley leading off with this but in the article Primus is shown to not only know of it but to have open the box in an efort to deal with it.

Great. A "cultural problem" of no specific nature, no details and no mention of how they're fixing it. Can't say I'd be feeling all that confident of a solution if I were a Port supporter.

I would say it's got a bit to do with the actual suburb of Port Adelaide!! My Dad worked there a number of times in the Wool Trade during the 60's/70's and said it was as Rough as, and he meant it!

Just a theory!!!!

Although my first preference would be to see Dean Bailey succeed (I'm not resigned to wheels falling off just yet), I would love to see G.Lyon get involved again. I sit there and watch him on The Footy Show each Thursday night and think "what a waste!" Performing ridiculous musical parodies with Brayshaw - surely he has more to offer the game than that rubbish?

As a player he had future coach written all over him - a natural born leader. Sure, he must be on a good wicket at Nine, but as the competitve beast that he was, the desire must still be there - you can hear it when he's commentating on radio.

One thing's for sure, I don't think he'd put up with the insipid approach our boys are displaying at the moment - not for a second. If Hird can do it, what's stopping Garry?

Don't want Roos (I'll follow Gold Coast rather than watch MFC play Roos Football)

Don't want Matthews (Didn't move with the times)

Don't really think that Malthouse would want the job

Laidley never really won me as coach of the kanga's

The list sort of thins out a bit after that.

Maybe Mark Riley or Greg Hutchinson (they.ve been here before)

Darren Crocker, caretaker coach at North didn't do a bad job or Jade Rawlings (but maybe these are too young and wet behind the ears).

EPIPHONY.......GLENN ARCHER !!!!!!!

Puts some backbone into the backline and some fisticuffs into the forwards..Some Mettle for the middle and some zing in the wings

Could do worse

There are a few articles on the Dees today in the Herald Sun. The pressure is getting turned up on the Dees which is good to see. Another loss will continue to increase the pressure but a win will ease it slightly.

From what I have seen in the past when the articles start, the pressure is increased and most importantly the big cheese comes out in support of the coach it normally ends in a new coach being appointed. Will see how long it lasts.

Why start a thread making a false statement?

"Aliens land in Coober Pedy and demand fried chicken in exchange for Harold Holt"

Guest DeesPower

id be very happy with a Laidley - Viney combination

youd be mad ..if not criminal not to look at Malthouse..., not to talk to Roos

in fact not to have a good look around.

no more pups though

God not Laidley. What a mediocrity! Surely we could do better than that. I'd rather stick with Bailey. For me it is either malthouse or Roos.

Edited by DeesPower