• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

My 3 word player analysis V The Buns

joeboy

Green - pleasingly found ball

Jones - difficult to assess

Bartram - was always determined

Watts - again showed nothing

Gysberts - surprisingly fumbled often

Bennell - clever but limited

Frawley - some occasional glitches

Trengove - terrific all day

Morton - effective when required

Sylvia - fantastic second half

Dunn - couldn't find ball

Grimes - not as prolific

Garland - was he playing ?

Moloney - continued stellar season

Jurrah - exciting when required

Rivers - was rarely noticed

Wonaeamirri - slowly finding feet

Martin - has been better

Tapscott - backs himself well

Davey - some forward success

Jamar - dominated as required

Bail - never stopped running

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disagree on Rivers. He's actually been our best defender two weeks in a row now. His disposal is much better than it has been, and as long as he plays on the slowest forward, he's great one-one-one. Poor on the lead, but we have the defensive versatility to work around that.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

Disagree on Watts. He played a quarter and had 6 touches and 5 marks, including a couple of big contested grabs. If Davey could handball he'd have had a goal as well. 1 awful kick on his left is the only blemish.

And a couple of good tackles. But why would anyone let facts get in the way of a good booting?

Pathetic analysis.

FFS he played one quarter and apart from one disappointing kick, he did some very nice things. Took a couple of good contested marks, tapped the ball to advantage for a goal, laid some tackles.

What the hell did you expect from a tall forward being used as a sub?

It was a bloody idiotic decision. If Bailey didn't want him in the team he should have dropped him. To have to sub Jurrah to get Watts on was mind boggling, and no doubt Watts will now have to play for Casey next weekend to make up some match fitness.

And a couple of good tackles. But why would anyone let facts get in the way of a good booting?

Because this is the MFC, and we sledge players, the club, the coach and other supporters every chance we get, warranted or not.

Disagree on Watts. He played a quarter and had 6 touches and 5 marks, including a couple of big contested grabs. If Davey could handball he'd have had a goal as well. 1 awful kick on his left is the only blemish.

Agree. His intensity was up and looked like he wanted to hunt the footy more than usual. Stuck some tackles which usually slip and put himself in good positions.

Should hold his spot against the Eagles in my opinion.

The problem is those stats say nothing about Watts' intensity, urgency to get the ball, willingness to put his body on the line and head over the ball.

That's his problem, not the number of kicks and marks per game.

Edited by Clint Bizkit

Pathetic analysis.

FFS he played one quarter and apart from one disappointing kick, he did some very nice things. Took a couple of good contested marks, tapped the ball to advantage for a goal, laid some tackles.

It was a bloody idiotic decision. If Bailey didn't want him in the team he should have dropped him. To have to sub Jurrah to get Watts on was mind boggling, and no doubt Watts will now have to play for Casey next weekend to make up some match fitness.

Correct. Tall forwards aren't subs. I know it's about development but we should still set our structures correctly. Sub should be Petterd until he's 4 quarter fit.

OUTS: Dunn, Bennell (nice cameo's and I think he'll be a good player but we need to give Maric some game time to see if he's got it or not), Jones, Can you drop the captain?

The problem is those stats say nothing about Watts' intensity, urgency to get the ball, willingness to put his head on the line and body over the ball.

He took some good contested marks today and put himself in many contests. One of his clearances on the forward 50 arc was exceptional with 4 guys on him.

Did you watch the game or are you just another one of those supporters who will continue to put sh*t on him until he kicks 6 goals? :rolleyes:

The problem is those stats say nothing about Watts' intensity, urgency to get the ball, willingness to put his head on the line and body over the ball.

When did he not do these things? Hell I'm well aware he hasn't come on like we would of hoped but be realistic with your criticism.

That's the thing Clint, he improved in all those aspects in the one quarter he had a chance to.

Pathetic analysis.

Totally agree. I cant understand this decision. Either play him for the whole game or dont. Watts would of got more from a full game for Casey. Today would of been a set back for him, even though I thought he did ok for the time he was given.

He took some good contested marks today and put himself in many contests. One of his clearances on the forward 50 arc was exceptional with 4 guys on him.

Did you watch the game or are you just another one of those supporters who will continue to put sh*t on him until he kicks 6 goals? :rolleyes:

I'm not worried about his goal kicking. I just want to see him be ruthless at the contest and to really want to get the ball no matter the cost, not just "put himself" in contests. He did not do that today even as the fresh player in a last quarter where the opposition had all but given up.

Let's stick to the thread title folks.

Green - better game today

Jones - showed poise often

Bartram - solid but clumsy

Watts - better but hesitant

Gysberts - fumbled all day

Bennell - flashy but wide

Frawley - went through motions

Trengove - outstanding midfield game

Morton - just warming up

Sylvia - fantastic second half

Dunn - Casey is calling

Grimes - can... not.... kick

Garland - hardly saw him

Moloney - outstanding midfield game

Jurrah - attack AND defence

Rivers - really good game

Wonaeamirri - better and better

Martin - faded out slowly

Tapscott - keeps on working

Davey - right foot goal!!!

Jamar - great ruck game

Bail - just keeps running

At least you bothered to mention the sub this time around, you didnt bother when Maric was subbed in v Hawkes and only had 6 for 1.5 quarters... I detect you have it in for watts.

PS, I had to laugh when he tried t bounce the ball in the dying seconds and muffed it up :lol:

I'm not worried about his goal kicking. I just want to see him be ruthless at the contest and to really want to get the ball no matter the cost, not just "put himself" in contests. He did not do that today even as the fresh player in a last quarter where the opposition had all but given up.

So you want him to get smashed and break something, is that it?

He runs to the right spots and he takes contested marks. He'll get down on his knees in contests and feed the ball out. What else do you want?

I've never encountered this phenomenon before of supporters being obsessed with watching a young player prove he is any good in the way of getting hurt or negligently throwing themselves at a contest. It's absurd and it shows how silly supporters can be, because they look at Hurley and go "ohhhh hard player, smashes bodies" and therefore if Watts doesn't play this style of game he is useless and a drafting mistake.

While I like to read this post most times I think it would be prudent to also list a 3 world analysis for the other team just to see how they performed against our opinion of the mighty Demons you may find whilst in your opinion some players did not do well their direct opponent did a lot worse

Green - not yet captain

Jones - unJones like game

Bartram - Blease or Strauss?

Watts - MUST KEEP SPOT

Gysberts - does hard stuff

Bennell - like in backline

Frawley - best still coming

Trengove - hits the post

Morton - run V soft

Sylvia - arrogant or confident?

Dunn - We want Juice!

Grimes - the new Bruce

Garland - had sloppy moments

Moloney - dominant first half

Jurrah - better defensive game

Rivers - led the way

Wonaeamirri - little brilliant moments

Martin - decent hit outs

Tapscott - the new Grimes

Davey - need more words --- thought one of Bailey's better coaching decisions was to give Davey some easy kill time up forward, instead of having to be the go to man as he is most weeks

Jamar - just too BIG!

Bail - better each week

Green - not yet captain

Jones - unJones like game

Bartram - Blease or Strauss?

Watts - MUST KEEP SPOT

Gysberts - does hard stuff

Bennell - like in backline

Frawley - best still coming

Trengove - hits the post

Morton - run V soft

Sylvia - arrogant or confident?

Dunn - We want Juice!

Grimes - the new Bruce

Garland - had sloppy moments

Moloney - dominant first half

Jurrah - better defensive game

Rivers - led the way

Wonaeamirri - little brilliant moments

Martin - decent hit outs

Tapscott - the new Grimes

Davey - need more words --- thought one of Bailey's better coaching decisions was to give Davey some easy kill time up forward, instead of having to be the go to man as he is most weeks

Jamar - just too BIG!

Bail - better each week

Green - not yet captain? How was his leadershihp deficient today?

Bartram - yep, Blease or Strauss have to be given a go soon. Barty shows great endeavour but... I shudder when he has an easy kick in space.

Grimes - the new Bruce. I hate to say it, but if he does not improve his kicking soon you will be spot on with this insight.

Morton - I have no idea what you mean.

Sylvia - both arrogance and confidence and we need a a few players with both. At his best shrugging tackles, baulking opponents and surging forward.

Disagreed on Watts. I'm starting to feel for this kid with the moronic analysis he gets from the public.

The kid played 20 minutes, got his hand onto the ball and set up a goal. 6 possessions in 1 quarter = 24 possession game. Throw in the two contested possessions.

I'd have:

Watts - Limited but efficient

So you want him to get smashed and break something, is that it?

He runs to the right spots and he takes contested marks. He'll get down on his knees in contests and feed the ball out. What else do you want?

I've never encountered this phenomenon before of supporters being obsessed with watching a young player prove he is any good in the way of getting hurt or negligently throwing themselves at a contest. It's absurd and it shows how silly supporters can be, because they look at Hurley and go "ohhhh hard player, smashes bodies" and therefore if Watts doesn't play this style of game he is useless and a drafting mistake.

good points. What he does, he usually does well. He contests in a pack and gets the ball out to a free player, even if it's just a tap out to Davey.

He's getting game time. In 2-3 years he and Cook will be our two key position players, with Jurrah on the flank.

Let's judge his career in 10 years time, not on 1/4 as a sub against a sub-standard team.