Jack Darling

s-t-i-n-g-a

Are you suggesting, that we got it wrong? That you can conclude from Darlings two games and Cook's zero games, that Darling is the better player and thus our recruiters deserve criticism? Because that is exactly the attitude I was condemning.

As for your second remark. Do you know why recruiters get a "free pass" for four or five years? Because you can't make an informed analysis before then!

Regarding your first point, it's purely my personal opinion. Cook may well become a good player, but I like Darling and think he would have been a very good fit for us. We are crying out for a footballer with his attributes. That's all I said.

Regarding your second, I think you're being far too lenient. With some kids it becomes apparent very quickly whether or not they are going to stand up in the big time.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does "almost in tears" mean? You're either in tears or you're not. "Almost in tears" sounds to me like someone saw him with his head in his hands (or something) and wanted to make a bigger deal out of it than what it was.

And even if he did cry, so what? People cry all the time, sometimes in pain, sometimes out of frustration, sometimes out of anger, it's just an emotional response. Oh I forgot - real men don't cry. Sorry about that.

Anyway, to take a leaf out of e25's book, I'm going to call this thread poo. Not because of the OP, but because of the insinuations it has triggered that Cook doesn't look any good. I know the response to this will be "but I didn't say that" rah rah, but it's clear that's what some are saying. That is extremely frustrating considering he's about 0.1% in to his career.

It means that he was said to be distraught and upset after he had a run in with Beamer at training, does that satisfy your requirement for accuracy? And btw he did have his head in his hands sitting on the boundary whilst the rest of the training session continued.

I'm not sure about the rest of your "over the top response", I can't recall saying that real man don't cry they're you words not mine. You can call this thread whatever you want but in the opinion of some Darling is going to be a god player and has shown quite a bit so far.

You got a problem with me do it by PM not on here.

BTW darling is about the same height as Pav, Fev and I believe Carey.

i believe the club imposed the 'No di@khead' rule on Darling, same as putting a line through Dustin Martin the year before. I'm all for this policy - don't need anyone who may turn into a 'Fev' or a 'cuz' or any other good footballer that is a nutcase off the field

edit - won't let you write di@khead!!

Edited by jako13

Regarding your second, I think you're being far too lenient. With some kids it becomes apparent very quickly whether or not they are going to stand up in the big time.

I don't think I'm being lenient at all. I would go so far as to suggest it is actually longer. Sure, in hindsight you may find some players that could have been judged very early on (Judd being one example). But equally, there are so many more who are predicted to become star players based on their early careers who never live up to that (McLean, Koschitzke being just two examples).

There's a tendency for many on this site to immediately try and defend the club from any criticism. Some tend to knee-jerk one way and others are wired to knee-jerk the other. I'd like to think that I judge things on their merits.

Recruiting is an inexact science and mistakes will always be made. It's impossible to have a perfect track record. Prendergast will get some right and no doubt he's already got some wrong. All recruiters live with this fact. But it doesn't mean that they're beyond scrutiny. My Brother went to the unusual lengths of writing to Prendergast imploring him to draft Hannebery with either the Blease or Strauss pick such was his confidence and knowledge of Hannebery as a player. Last year Tim Harrington inquired with Dan's Father Matt over lunch (a friend of Harrington's) as to Dan's availability at the conclusion of his contract. Such is life, mistakes happen.

I like the look of Cook, and it's way too early to judge, but I will say that it's a pity that Watts doesn't have Darling's mind. I love Darling's competitiveness.

i believe the club imposed the 'No di@khead' rule on Darling, same as putting a line through Dustin Martin the year before. I'm all for this policy - don't need anyone who may turn into a 'Fev' or a 'cuz' or any other good footballer that is a nutcase off the field

edit - won't let you write di@khead!!

What if that 18yo di@khead! has the potential to be reigned in and become a game-breaking champion who can help win you a flag?

Seems a policy a bit on the precious side to me.

Edited by Range Rover

RobbieF, are you sure that the story about Cook and Beamer is correct.

Could you provide a reference for it? I say this because you've confused the story and mixed it up with something else, and then used that incorrect story to come to a poorly thought out conclusion.

So ...... care to back it up?

Could you provide a reference for it? I say this because you've confused the story and mixed it up with something else, and then used that incorrect story to come to a poorly thought out conclusion.

The report was on here and it was reported by one of the posters that attends a lot of the training sessions.

If you have a conflicting report I'd like to hear it or perhaps there were two incidents concerning Beamer. The report about Cook i remember well because I commented on it at the time.

From memory Troy Davis was the player and i'm not sure crying was involved.

Edited by jacey

You got a problem with me do it by PM not on here.

:wacko:

I don't have a problem with anybody, just the things people say. You should get that complex looked at.

Edited by Nasher
Grammar

Not only that, if he CAN find the post on this forum and it does say what he says, it's hardly a reputable source (apologies to all demonlanders who take the time & effort to write training reports, but it's the truth).

:wacko:

I have a problem with nobody, just the things people say. You should get that complex looked at.

I don't have a complex I thought you'd know that. It must be just coincidence that you like having a shot at me, doesn't worry me just like to keep these things in check before they develop in to something nasty.

Cheers.

I'll go back in to my shell before i upset anyone else.

It's obviously a tad early to really draw any conclusions from last years draft...and I liked what a saw from Cook in the NAB....

But I can't help but think we may have missed an opportunity to land a big bodied forward by not drafting Darling. He is the type of player our forward structure seems to be missing.

I realise there were some concerns regarding him come draft day and it seems most clubs had those concerns given how far he drifted in the draft so I agree with the clubs decision to pass on him...but I just wonder if we will rue that decision in years to come...

I have a feeling we were tempted, but in the scheme of things he is on the smaller end of what power forwards are today. With todays defenders. He would have to be blisteringly quick and athletic.

When he got into troubles, thats not Rugged, thats lack of discipline.

From memory Troy Davis was the player and i'm not sure crying was involved.

I'm 98% certain the report was for Lucas Cook and that he was "almost in tears."

I remember, because I particularly thought it ridiculous at the time.

Firstly, it's a big judgement to make, that he's "almost in tears" and that the catalyst was Moloney having some harsh words.

Whoever wrote the report doesnt know that, and has no idea what else could be going on in the kid's life, even if he was close to tears (which is taking a fair bit of license).

Secondly, how often do you think this might happen to young draftees, a long way from home, on their own, in a new tough environment?

How often could what has been reported happen, yet no one notices, or even if they do, they have the understanding & the decency to not report it..?

Darling has shown a bit so far.

He was always going to be ready from day one.

We chose a longer term prospect with a bigger upside.

I'm happy with the decision.

Guest 36DD

Similar situation to Daniel Rich and Stephen Hill both from same draft, Rich built like a tank, Hill pencil thin.

End of first season everyone was hot on Rich, now everyone is hot on Hill.

Darling has a mature body on him aiding transition into the big league, played in the WAFL too.

Cook is lightly built and will take time. But what would be the point of picking up another tweener forward (190cm ish) to add to Dunn, Bate, Petterd and Jurrah???

Some of you are incredible, one bad loss and now we start doubting our recruitment, cmon fellas harden up.

Darling's a good player, but long term Cook will be a much better player for us. Darling may end up a gun but he won't fit our game style.

Edited by eth38

....emotional response....

Anyway, to take a leaf out of e25's book, I'm going to call this thread poo. Not because of the OP, but because of the insinuations it has triggered that Cook doesn't look any good. I know the response to this will be "but I didn't say that" rah rah, but it's clear that's what some are saying. That is extremely frustrating considering he's about 0.1% in to his career.

Your right I didnt say that...and if others do that was not my intention...

The OP acknowledged the shortcomings of such a thread and put it in the appropriate context...I mentioned Cook because he will be unfortunate collatoral by the short sited in such a discussion and I wanted to make it clear I like him and feel the club made the right decision at the time.

I was more pondering that what Darling brings to the table may be something that could have been a vital plank to our premiership aspirations. He has looked good the lad and I like his essence...its something I feel is missing from our side.

I don't care if the player is 191 or 195 to be honest. I'd just like someone who attacks the footy like his life depends on it.

I see that quality in Darling.

Its not a lot more than that at this stage...

I'm 98% certain the report was for Lucas Cook and that he was "almost in tears."

I remember, because I particularly thought it ridiculous at the time.

Firstly, it's a big judgement to make, that he's "almost in tears" and that the catalyst was Moloney having some harsh words.

Whoever wrote the report doesnt know that, and has no idea what else could be going on in the kid's life, even if he was close to tears (which is taking a fair bit of license).

Secondly, how often do you think this might happen to young draftees, a long way from home, on their own, in a new tough environment?

How often could what has been reported happen, yet no one notices, or even if they do, they have the understanding & the decency to not report it..?

Darling has shown a bit so far.

He was always going to be ready from day one.

We chose a longer term prospect with a bigger upside.

I'm happy with the decision.

I remember reading that, your 100% correct that it was Cook, not Davis. It was an observation made by a fan that wasn't certain he was crying, he said it appeared he was. Can't believe we're talking about this to be honest. People at least waited until Watts played a game before they started saying we should have taken someone else....poor Cooky hasn't even debuted and he's being deemed a mistake because Darling has played 2 solid games against North Melbourne and Port (2 very average sides). Not trying to belittle Darling, just trying to add some perspective.

What is the point of discussing last weeks game around here...we can't change the result...pointless...

Agree, which is why I don't discuss it.

What if that 18yo di@khead! has the potential to be reigned in and become a game-breaking champion who can help win you a flag?

Seems a policy a bit on the precious side to me.

I don't think you get it. We turn up our noses at Fev and say what a cancer he is on his clubs. There are hundred of footballers in the draft - there was a large question mark over Darlings attitude and "history". Why would you take a risk with a footballer who may or may not turn out to be trouble at your club. I would rather work on "potential" ability than an attitude that has "potential" to be reigned in. If ability fails to reach potential - you have wasted a pick . If attitude cannot be reigned in - damage to the club and its players.

For every Barry Hall story of a football who can be reigned in there is a Fevola/Aker story of players who can harm your club. Even born again Cousins caused untold damage at the eagles.

Darling - comes with priors - move on - nothing to see here