NAB Cup expectations ?

H_T

I don't see why everyone is seeing travelling to AAMI as a negative.

Its adelaide they take their footy seriously. the stadium will be full-ish. This gives our players an opportunity to play at AAMI with no expectations like the regular season. with out the chip on their shoulder they may relax ignore the crowd and learn how to play in a hostile environment. I don't think there could be a better play to play a proper NAB Cup game for our team

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Campbell was touted before his achilles, to be a likely candidate for nab cup action. Of who knows where Juice would have come in team discussions suffice to say seldom is any clubs whole best 22 the likely makeup of such games.

For those unsure why we have a bad record at AAMI... I'd stop trying to be clever and just think about this...

We've been [****]house for quite a few years. We've been [****]house EVERYWHERE for quite a few years. We've been especially [****}house interstate. Adelaide and Port Adelaide have occassionally been finals contenders in the last 10 years or so that we've been losing there. Even when we've been a finals team we haven't been great interstate and relied on a great record (home and away) at the MCG.

In summary, we've lost a lot of games in the last ten years. When we've been bad, we've been really bad interstate. When we've been [****]house we've been even worse interstate. Even when we were pretty good were were pretty bad interstate.

sorry but 15 in a row over the course of a decade is ridiculously poor and out of proportion to how we have actually travelled as a side, we played finals half those years rememeber. Talk about head in the sand.

Edited by High Tower
quoted post

As an addendum it should be noted that not only the Dees but Port as well as the Crows have injuries. Nothing should be considered as forgone !

I heard Nathan Van Berlo on the radio this morning and he said that they have minimal injuries and are in pretty good shape, nothing like they had early last season. From what I've heard there is some doubt on Bernie Vince. Port have several in doubt.

Also, what does MFCSS, or whatever it is that people keep repeating? I'm assuming it's Melbourne Football Club SXXXXXXXX Syndrome?

Cheers

Yes, you're missing "Supporter".

I don't see why everyone is seeing travelling to AAMI as a negative.

Its adelaide they take their footy seriously. the stadium will be full-ish. This gives our players an opportunity to play at AAMI with no expectations like the regular season. with out the chip on their shoulder they may relax ignore the crowd and learn how to play in a hostile environment. I don't think there could be a better play to play a proper NAB Cup game for our team

LJ may enjoy and appreciate the full-ish stadium. Show time ? :)

sorry but 15 in a row over the course of a decade is ridiculously poor and out of proportion to how we have actually travelled as a side, we played finals half those years rememeber. Talk about head in the sand.

Rather than trying to be clever and look for omens or something that isn't there, I'm just being logical.

Also, I'm not sure what Daniher's team has to do with Bailey's team, either. My guess is that anyone still in our side now that has been through the majority of those losses in Adelaide is a better footballer in 2011 than they were at any stage in the past 10 years.

On the field, I don't think a team's approach to away games is that different to home games, other than the obvious (travel and general preparations, size of field, weather conditions). There isn't the same "expectation" to play a certain way that some soccer clubs have when playing in front of their own fans, and there is definitely no "away goals rule".

So to do anything other than look at the Melbourne teams from 2001-2010 and compare them to the Adelaide and Port Adelaide teams of the same era would be pointless.

Does anyone have a better explanation other than the fact we have either been crap, really crap, or just crap when playing interstate over this period?

Edited by The Jacks

Rather than trying to be clever and look for omens or something that isn't there, I'm just being logical.

That's the opposite of what you're doing

2001-2010

Record at AAMI: 0 out of 15, 0%

Record elsewhere: say 100 out of 200, 50%

There is obviously SOMETHING in it, we have not got the last 10 spoons

At one point it was discussed that we could only afford to stay in absolute s--tholes when we went over there, so there's a start

I thought MFCSS would have stood for something cleverererer than that. I give you guys way too much credit! That is effing lame.

Hmmm, a little surprised at the reaction.......you might just have a mild case of it. ;)

C&B, once again you're ignoring the obvious.

We were crap against EVERYONE in the last few years.

It hasn't been an Adelaide problem - it was an EVERYWHERE problem.

Last year, we struggled a bit away from home.

As is to be expected with a very young team.

But really, only the 2 games last year should be considered, if any at all.

This hoodoo exists only in the minds of some supporters.

In any case, I think we'll have a sizeable advantage over Port, who are resting Brogan, with Lobbe injured.

Instead their ruckmen will be rookies Redden and Bass.

Dominating the ruck contests should be a start.

Their injury list is also 3 times the size of ours.

Adelaide has a couple of injury concerns but have most of their list available, like us.

As we both play first up, there is no associated advantage.

I think we are a good chance to beat them.

Spot on KS...if this club is to get some credibility back it has to start winning against mid-table, run of the mill ordinary sides. And Port & Adelaide are exactly that!

We haven't won any type of silverware since the late 80's. And it about bloody time that we did.

We have spoken about winning culture, but to engender that you have to start winning, and you have to give the young team that we currently have some symbols of success early. Then they learn what is required when they play for the main prize. Otherwise it leads to an "oh well, we still have the main season to play ....attitude"

Go out and win the damn thing. Make yourselves proud. Give the supporters something to hope for. Prove that you ARE capable of great things.

Once again YOU are missing the point, we are not discussing the last few years, we never were, yes I am aware we got back-to-back spoons, we are discussing the last DECADE, where at times we were on top of the ladder at signifigant stages of seasons and occupied a top 4 spot for many many weeks, yet still lost every single time we went to AAMI

15 in a row. 10 years. Get it?

Oh and as I have already pointed out, it is not just losing, it is getting absolutely belted most of the time

Edited by Curry & Beer

Once again YOU are missing the point, we are not discussing the last few years, we never were, yes I am aware we got back-to-back spoons, we are discussing the last DECADE, where at times we were on top of the ladder at signifigant stages of seasons and occupied a top 4 spot for many many weeks, yet still lost every single time we went to AAMI

Oh and as I have already pointed out, it is not just losing, it is getting absolutely belted most of the time

Mmm horrendous.

But we're heading into a new era so hopefully we can make amends and get the ball rolling in Adelaide. It seems as soon as we step onto that turf we play like the 'Roy boys just before they merged!

Last season we STILL managed to get fairly towelled up by an average Port side, and I believe we got dominated by an Adelaide side completely destroyed by injury!

But I digress... this is the NAB Cup, so let's just see what happens. No biggie if we win or lose, but to get some wins competitively before the season proper commences would do wonders.

The relevance of the last decade is negligible.

We have had such a list turnover that the only bloke left from before our wooden spoon years, is Green*.

That includes the coaching staff.

Any other irrelevant stats you want to bring up..?

*not strictly true, but for the most part. You get the gist.

Edited by Keyser Söze

The relevance of the last decade is negligible.

We have had such a list turnover that the only bloke left from before our wooden spoon years, is Green*.

That includes the coaching staff.

Any other irrelevant stats you want to bring up..?

*not strictly true, but for the most part. You get the gist.

well I believe the question is 'what factor(s) have remained over two administrations concerning travel to Adelaide'

putting it down to coincidence is not enough for me

I would love to see the same analysis across the same timeframe for all venues.. perhaps I will be bored enough at some stage to do it

Adelaide has a couple of injury concerns but have most of their list available, like us.

As we both play first up, there is no associated advantage.

There is, actually.

After us, Adelaide don't play Port till an hour or so later, so they'll effectively be fielding two different teams, both presumably weaker than anything like a full-strength line-up. It's for this reason that Adelaide are permitted unlimited team changes between their two games, as opposed to Melb and Port who are limited to 3.

I'm also presuming, perhaps wrongly, that they're more interested in beating Port than us, so am imagining (hoping?) that they'll stack their "Port" lineup with more of the established players.

But we could still lose ...

BTW, not sure why anyone's expecting a big crowd. Given that they didn't even reach 15 000 for Port-Adelaide last year, hard to see that being exceeded on Friday.

Edited by bing181

I see what you're saying and I agree to an extent.

If we were given the same opportunity to use the entire list, I'd expect Bailey to give nearly every fit player a run.

Craig should do the same.

But this limits the number of established players that can be used in each game.

So even if more established players are used against us than Port, assuming they give most players a run, we still would be playing against less than normal.

As such, we should be favourites against the Crows.

I am starting to get sacrilegious thoughts that it won't be a bad thing if we get hammered in line with past efforts at AAMI. I want to see a tough start for us before we get to the real business.

Edited by america de cali

I think given the dees goal of 40k members they will take the NAB cup fairly seriously this year. Personally I couldn't care less. I paid for my member ship months ago. But from the clubs standpoint I think there is much to prove, and I would not be surprised if the Dees were one of the last 4 clubs standing if they take it seriously. Many clubs won't.

regarding our success on the road.....

"hawks in the 80s, bombers in the 90's, lions in early 2000's, cats in recent years. all won premierships...they have been good in recent years....they have dominated the comp.

melb has been crap for a very long time...forget that you a supporter/member. melb has had patches of good...ie., when we made the grand final in 2000 etc...

i believe melb has very poor membership since we haven't had a lot of success in decades.

Some might argue the fact we were alligned with the mcc. but lets not make excuses and judge ourself harsh.

last flag was in the 60's...pushing towards 50 years guys!"

I agree with you C&B. I would be happy to win a game of tiddlywinks at AAMI stadium. I am sick to death of losing there. When we had real hopes of being contenders earlier in the decade and the bad losses there really hurt. Not just AAMI either obviously. A huge disparity between performances at the G and away from the G has been in my view a sign of mental weakness. Hopefully this group of players proves tougher - two wins interstate last year and a stirring comeback against Freo were strong signs of this.

Given all of the positive talk at the moment and the bold target of 40K members, a strong showing in the NAB cup would be good I think. It would give us even more momentum after we smash the Swans in Round 1.

I agree with you C&B. I would be happy to win a game of tiddlywinks at AAMI stadium. I am sick to death of losing there. When we had real hopes of being contenders earlier in the decade and the bad losses there really hurt. Not just AAMI either obviously. A huge disparity between performances at the G and away from the G has been in my view a sign of mental weakness. Hopefully this group of players proves tougher - two wins interstate last year and a stirring comeback against Freo were strong signs of this.

Given all of the positive talk at the moment and the bold target of 40K members, a strong showing in the NAB cup would be good I think. It would give us even more momentum after we smash the Swans in Round 1.

There is little more to say I could not agree more.

Victory on Friday night in Adelaide is the mininium requirement.

There is little more to say I could not agree more.

Victory on Friday night in Adelaide is the mininium requirement.

I'm hoping for wins on Friday night so that we're actually playing on AFL-standard grounds next week, unlike last year where we copped injuries playing on suburban park grounds.

BTW, not sure why anyone's expecting a big crowd. Given that they didn't even reach 15 000 for Port-Adelaide last year, hard to see that being exceeded on Friday.

Hard to see that being exceeded, really ?

There is two groups of supporters (well three if you include Melbourne supporters) this Friday. The new concept should see at least 30,000 turn up. I am guessing.. but surely should exceed 15,000 !