• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

THE TOM SCULLY TO GWS THREAD

DirtyDees DDC

They could end up being Jarrad Oakley-Nichols and James Sellar.

Or Daniel O'Keefe and Beau Dowler.

Or Marcus Drum and Adam Thomson.

Or John Meesen and Danny Meyer.

is this the part where someone inserts pairs of complete gun first round draft picks of which there are many more than these random duds you have plucked

go and have a look, the top 5 of the last 3 or 4 drafts is just guns guns guns

if we get another number 1 PLUS something else there is every chance we could end up ahead on the deal

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We wouldn't get another number 1.

Look at the compensation Geelong got for Ablett - ours would be comparable.

I think the comparisons are fair.

Scully is a legitimate gun, proven at AFL level.

Even if he never gets any better than he is now.

Ever heard the saying "a bird in the hand, is worth 2 in the bush"..?

Or we could transpose it - a number 1 proven gun is worth 2 mid 1st round picks that might make it.

And even that is not strictly true - often the number 1 pick would be worth more.

Rpfc et al putting on the jumper this year without clear indication of desires hence says , respectfully, only that, that he's playing for Melb in 2011. Given the ambiguity and uncertainty surrounding this all and the lack of any direction emulating from Scully and camp I'll make no assumptions for 2012 or beyond.

To me coming out and declaring the desire to play beyond subject to all parties agreeing terms is a huge difference.

Rpfc et al putting on the jumper this year without clear indication of desires hence says , respectfully, only that, that he's playing for Melb in 2011. Given the ambiguity and uncertainty surrounding this all and the lack of any direction emulating from Scully and camp I'll make no assumptions for 2012 or beyond.

To me coming out and declaring the desire to play beyond subject to all parties agreeing terms is a huge difference.

I dont need to hear this at all as it is all "words". As I posted earlier, Ablett said in an interview in April last year that he wanted to captain Geelong - look how that turned out. Statements like "I have a desire to play, I want to be a one club player, negotiating to stay at MFC" is all fluff and nonsense. Jeff Farmer declared in his last year at Melbourne he wanted to be a one club player.

I am prepared to be patient to hear three words only - "I have re-signed"

Ablett said everything except I'll be contracted to Geelong in 2011( or even wanted to be) he evaded that !! . Everything else was waffle.

I'd be happy enough if Scully were to say all things being good "I want to be contacted to and play for Melbourne"

Ablett said everything except I'll be contracted to Geelong in 2011( or even wanted to be) he evaded that !! . Everything else was waffle.

I'd be happy enough if Scully were to say all things being good "I want to be contacted to and play for Melbourne"

Ablett said he wanted to captain the club one day, knowing he had already agreed to go to GC.

Words mean little, pressers mean nothing, I don't care about a spoken willingness to commit to the club - I only care about him re-signing.

And, as I posted earlier, to limit your options by saying "I want to play only for Melbourne in 2011" - he will be limiting the amount he can get in his contract.

Negotiations are a delicate process and limiting your options to one usually isn't a good move...

Edited by rpfc

I think when someone says he wants to captain the club then that goes a fair way to saying he wants to play for them - hard to to captain a club you are not contracted to. Words are meaningless

The problem with Scully coming out and saying what you are suggesting apart from the obvious diminishing of your negotiation position is then until he actually signs the contracts we will have 1000 more posts saying that if he wants to be contracted and play for Melbourne why doesnt he just sign now ? Since he wants to be contracted but hasnt signed he must have much better offers and the offers are obviously too good for him to sign our contract therefore he is ..GAWWWNN.

You get my drift - take GWS sniffing around him out of the equation and this would be a non discussion likes Watts contract delay was last year.

I say let the negotiations take their normal course and do not be panicked to soothe the anxious supporters ( which I am one)

Edited by nutbean

Ablett said he wanted to captain the club one day, knowing he had already signed for GC.

Words mean little, pressers mean nothing, I don't care about a spoken willingness to commit to the club - I only care about him re-signing.

And, as I posted earlier, to limit your options by saying "I want to play only for Melbourne in 2011" - he will be limiting the amount he can get in his contract.

Negotiations are a delicate process and limiting your options to one usually isn't a good move...

Call me a fool but I actually dont think that Ablett had made up his mind until season end and had not signed. In believing that, I also think that Thompsons petulance made Abletts decision easier.

Call me a fool but I actually dont think that Ablett had made up his mind until season end and had not signed. In believing that, I also think that Thompsons petulance made Abletts decision easier.

I meant "agreed to go to GC," sorry. I'll edit that.

My understanding is that nothing was signed until after the season but that assurances were made between seasons 2009 and 2010.

Still, he said he wanted to captain of a side he in principle had already agreed to leave.

I think the decision was still in the air, but as the season progressed it became easier and easier for Ablett to leave.

My guess is that Ablett would still have left if he knew Thompson was planning to leave, but it would have made the decision a lot harder.

Or, we have what we have. Totally unecessary unless ulterior motives lurk.

Motives being securing the best deal he can, hardly ulterior. You're in the paranoid camp.

Motives. being securing the best deal he can, hardly ulterior. You're in the paranoid camp.

You dontthink we wouldnt put a very fair and reasonable( as well as realistic) offer on the table ?whilst I really don't advocate 4-5 years , 3 being ideal in this instance the precedent is there ( Davey) for 4.

He is worth to us what he's worth to us . I have faith in Harrington to gauge it right . If he was to seek outrageous he will be on the move.

I have faith in Harrington to gauge it right .

So why worry. It's a Sheedy thing to create tension amongst all clubs with talented youth. As for maguire, he's just directing the heat away from Swan, Pendalbury and Thomas. Scully will sign when he's ready as will Sylvia and a host of other Demons who's contracts are expiring at year's end.

Sorry Nutbean going to have to call you a fool, Ablett was long gone by the end of the season.

Hi Guys. First time poster!

Despite all of the hysteria I am here to tell you that Tom has

1 Not signed or even made a heads of agreement deal to head north

2 Has put off contract negotiations for the simple reason is that his management have told him to wait until the CBA is finalized to see what is in the pool (TV rights & what % is distributed to the clubs), effectively the salary cap in 2013 & 2014.

3 Is looking to buy a house/property in Melbourne, but cannot get finance until he has a contract

4 Cannot earn more than a set salary for the first 2 years (Whats the point of signing NOW for "unders" if he has a slashing first 10-12 rounds)

5 Has been strong enough to resist doing a back flip & signing due to media hype & speculation

Having said this it is incumbent on the club to put a good deal on the table come contract time as at the end of the day, you have a 10-12 year window at best to capitalize on earning potential.

For all of those that want him burnt at the stake & playing at Casey please bear in mind that he was HAPPY to sign for 3 years last August, but his management made the decision to play poker.

The boy loves playing, loves playing at Melbourne, has a fantastic relationship with the boys there and if the club do the right thing, will be there for the next 10-15 years!!!

Does Tom know how to play poker? Very dangerous slow playing a strong hand. And who are you BTW?

If you believe in your ability & have done the hard work the risk is minimized!

Like I said, it was not Tom's call, it was his management's.

He will give it 110% (As he always does) & hopefully the board see it fit to put an offer on the table!!

Have not heard much about what MFC have offered him, has been biased toward what GWS have on the table!!!!!!!!!!

If this guy is fair dinkum then these Velocity Sports chislers are trying to ransom us and messing with Tom's head. The risk of injury and bad form is far too high for one so young to take these kind of chances when he can get a great deal with us now. But to repeat myself who are you?

Edited by america de cali

If this guy is fair dinkum then these Velocity Sports chislers are trying to ransom us and messing with Tom's head. The risk of injury and bad form is far too high for one so young to take these kind of chances when he can get a great deal with us now. But to repeat myself who are you?

It doesn't really matter who he is.(Hi Tom, welcome to Demonland!) The facts are that Tom's management have told us pretty much the same thing, you just don't want to listen.

The risk of injury and bad form is far too high for one so young to take these kind of chances when he can get a great deal with us now.

Err what? The MFC offer will not get worse if Tom has a bad run of form or injury. If the MFC have put an offer on the table, then it's the starting point of negotiation, not the final offer. Not sure what your point is, but you seem to be implying that if he gets injured or plays poorly he'll receive an inferior offer, which is nonsense.

And as far as I'm concerned, the advice of his management as described by 'keepinthedreamalive' is completely sound.

It doesn't really matter who he is.(Hi Tom, welcome to Demonland!) The facts are that Tom's management have told us pretty much the same thing, you just don't want to listen.

Not talking to you. Don't interrupt!

If this guy is fair dinkum then these velocity Sports chislers are trying to ransom us and messing with Tom's head. The risk of injury and bad form is far too high for one so young to take these kind of chances when he can get a great deal with us now. But to repeat myself who are you?

I know Tom's family well through a friend playing at Vic Metro with Tom & others.

Not that this adds any credibility!! Or does it??

I am not after the "scoop of the year". All I am looking to do is alleviate the rubbish that has been directed Tom's way due to bulltish written about him DEFECTING to GWS.

He is the most loyal kid that there is & IF MFC look after him will be a 250 gamer.