MFC Training at Casey Fields (Friday)

alpha33

You're really asking for it when you write something like that on a forum like this.

haha... I thought exactly the same thing and then saw your post :-) Fortunately for the OP I have a terrible memory.

Well, in the absence of any "eyewitness" reports from Demonlanders, here's a list of Twitters sent out by the great onballer of cyberspace, Mr. Nathan Jones. Sounds like it might have been somewhat of a laid back session:-

Big day!! Boys nailed there last sess out @ Casey b4 the Xmas break up!! Jamie B, Sculls & Adam Maric BOG in the first half of preseason.
Finished the day with VICs VS Allies in a cricket match @ Casey ... Vic boys got done! Jacky Trengove dominating display with the bat.
Michael newton Worst on!! Talked up his cricketing prowess all week!! went for a golden duck and got belted with the pill.
Heading to have a few chrissy brews with the boys & then onto the club Xmas party, low key event that's always a gold night.

It's good to know that Maric and Bennell are impressing on the track, it'll pump up their confidence knowing that they're training so well that it gets noticed. We need pacy, smaller forwards to help out / back up Wonaeamirri. Bennell has shown glimpses, needs consistency, Maric needs to earn his chance, and looks like he's doing that.

Scully is no surprise.

It's good to know that Maric and Bennell are impressing on the track, it'll pump up their confidence knowing that they're training so well that it gets noticed. We need pacy, smaller forwards to help out / back up Wonaeamirri. Bennell has shown glimpses, needs consistency, Maric needs to earn his chance, and looks like he's doing that.

Scully is no surprise.

he's probably wondering why everyone else is so knackered

Assuming they have twitter...

G'day everyone - I have just joined Demonland after being a constant reader for the past 12 months. I thought I would add some information about this morning's training at Casey Fields as I went down to have a look. I could only stay an hour but saw enough to leave a few impressions.

Sam Blease. His running and energy are really good, and he always gets himself into a good position but his kicking was poor. I am unsure why but am assuming that his recovery from a broken leg is taking longer than first thought.

Wonna, Gysberts, Campbell all spent a long time running, or doing close-in hanball drills with Brad Gotch. Matty Bate walked around at the beginning and then disappeared indoors.

Jake Spencer did heaps of running. He looks really big now and his kicking looks poor, but is getting much mre effective. Really impressd with his aerobic fitness level.

Scully is amazing and trains as if he is in a match. Sharp, very focussed and his kicking was on song which is good news after a high number of foot-blunders in matches last year. He comes across like the sort of bloke who is addicted to footy - you know, when he isn't training or playing, he is reading about it, learning in some way, or just tossing a footy around in his hands. REALLY impressive and stands out on the training track.

Col Sylvia was another one who made few (if any) mistakes and made all the short sharp sprints into a bit of a competition. His aggression and skill level made others sharpen up.

Aaron Davey's leadership was great to see. After each drill, whoever was in his group got a pat on the back or bum and a word of encouragement. It was intentional, deliberate and effective. I haven't seen him in this light before and he comes across as a strong and effective leader.

The young Lucas Cook looks to be an excellent rookie choice. He has VERY strong hands. I watched his group for about 15 minutes straight and it is simple: if the ball hits his hands, it sticks. He is still very thin and his basic build reminds me of a tallish Robbie Flower so he might not get too big but I imagine he will be buring it up in about 2013.

Like many others I am developing a serious man-crush on Frawley. He jokes a bit at training and adds definite personality, but as soon as it is his turn in a drill he is prepared to monster his own team mates and impose himself. And boy, is he BIG!!

Grimes was in the same groove as Scully. Very clean, very quick and few if any errors. A real encourager and should be captain one day.

Last but not least - no Watts. I am a fan of this young bloke nad reckon he could be anything. His laid-back appearance belies a footy brain and elite skills but I hope the pre-season is not slipping by again.

Anyway, that's it for my first post and I look forward to hearing from you.

The young Lucas Cook looks to be an excellent rookie choice. He has VERY strong hands. I watched his group for about 15 minutes straight and it is simple: if the ball hits his hands, it sticks. He is still very thin and his basic build reminds me of a tallish Robbie Flower so he might not get too big but I imagine he will be buring it up in about 2013.

Thanks for the great review. One question, did Gysberts appear injured, because I recall someone posting the other day that he had done a hamstring. Also, just one correctio... Cook was not taken in the rookie draft, he was our first pick at number 12 in the main draft.

Gysberts wasn't limping or anything, but he did spend some time doing a series of runs where on the return he had to do excercises that reminded me of Monty Python's Ministry of Silly Walks. Lifting his leg up and out in his stride. Jake Spencer did these movement excercises with him. Not once did he sprint or stride out in full which is a good sign of a hamstring, quad or major muscle injury.

As soon as I posted about Lucas Cook I was sure I made a mistake about his status. Yes, he was pick 12 - my mistake. I suppose his sticky hands stood out because it has been a while since I have seen this attribute in a Melbourne player. Neita was a super star but could have hands made of wood sometimes. I suppose Ox was the last genuine one touch mark we have had. I did hope Newton would do this also but this forum is awash with comments on that so I will let that well alone.

Scullys relentless enthusiasm concerns me abit , is he an OP case waiting to happen ?

He already had OP pretty bad when he was 16 & has since had to learn to manage his load to avoid it.

The kid is a specimen.