MFC Training (Wednesday)

Bhima

hey bhima, loving your training analysis. Just wondering on a few things if you could fill us in, Colin sylvia seems like he would strive in a leadership role, with extra responsibility you know? From what ive heard he's been training the house down, just enquiring if that had continued?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quality Bhima. Thanks.

I'm taking the optimistic view that Cook's 'breakdown' was mental, not physical. Just part and parcel of the adjustment in his life. As opposed to a bad injury. We don't need Cook to go down the Blease/Tapscott route.

Speaking of which, I am getting increasingly excited about seeing Blease and Tapscott out there in 2011. Can't exactly think of whose spots they'll take but can't wait nonetheless.

I just did some quick stats on our playing list, as posted on the club website.

I've disregarded the rookies because no stats are available. I've also disregarded Newton, even though his name is still on the senior list. That leaves 39 senior players.

Now i have a feeling that you should treat official lists with caution. Rohan Bail is now listed as 181cm and 81kg, whereas the 2009 list had him at 183cm and 91kg. He's shrunk.

Spencer is listed at 100kg. He must be bigger than that, especially after breaking the eating records on his recent trip to NT.

I'm also not sure of other teams averages, but i recall the AFL website had average height for the Geelong premiership teams of 2007-09 at 187 -188 cm and ave weight at 87-88kg.

For MFC:

Height - 188.3cm

Weight - 85.7kg

Age (approx) - 22y 6 months

Games - 43.

18 of the 39 are 190cm or above.

Maric and Morton are coming into their 4th season and are still under 21.

We look a little underweight compared to the average, but this should change. Take Acye Cordy for the bulldogs. He was only 77kgs when picked up under the father/son rule in Nov 2008. News report yesterday gave his weight at 100kgs+.

He's put on 24 kg in 2 years. Imagine if Spencer put on another 24 kgs?

Thanks for the report Bhima. I won't get drawn into the speculation on Moloney or Cook because it is just that.

Can I ask about Maric, Petterd and Morton. I want to know if Maric is still 'flying', if Petterd is 'back' and if Morton has 'stepped it up'.

Also any word on the WA rookies - I didn't expect them to be there yesterday but I wonder if they will make it on Friday.

If Nicholson has the physical attributes (speed and endurance) to play AFL early, but his kicking needs improvement, what does everyone think about playing him as a tagger. We lack a designated tagger and lack players with the right combination of speed and endurance in our midfield to do it. Jones was found out in the role last year. It should be pretty hard to break into our midfield, and he might also struggle for a look in down back, but the tagging role could suit him.

Now i have a feeling that you should treat official lists with caution. Rohan Bail is now listed as 181cm and 81kg, whereas the 2009 list had him at 183cm and 91kg. He's shrunk.

That weight was never right. He was an elite runner before he entered the AFL system, he was never 91kg. His weight might not have changed too much since he got to the club but he has defenitely added some bulk this year.

I went through the list quickly. I think these players could have a big impact in the side this year if they could improve throughout this preseason.

I chose these players since they have been at the club more than two seasons and are due to step or need to step up.

blokes like spencer, blease, martin, strauss need to have big preseasons...blokes like slyvia, rivers need to get through preseason to have a big impact for melb.

garland came back from 12months off last year and played a fantastic year! i'm sure you'd agree with that...but if he can get a full preseason then he'll help improve melbs position on the ladder.

What the hell does that list mean?

Scully & Trengove aren't even included.

Nor is Davey at first glance.

What is the point of it?

scully and terngove are second year players...there spirits are up to it but there bodies are still developing...they both have exceeded expectations in there first year...i didn't put them on the list because i thought it's unfair to put expectations on blokes only going into there second year...blokes on the list 2 years and longer need to step up.

What more could you ask from Davey? he's professional. gets the job done and doesn't need to be told. kinda a given for melb that he'll perform.

Green?

Jamar?

Bennell?

how much more improvement can you get out of green & jamar when they both made AA squad? they only need to get through preseanos...bennell needs game experience...he goes missing in games sometimes..to hot and cold.

Thats most of the team mate listing players who already make a big impact in the side. I think priority one should be just getting the players like Wonna, Jurrah & Grimes through a full preseason who haven't before. I'd like to see some players like Blease, Tapscott & Gawn have any impact and just get on track!! Heres hoping some luck for the boys

most of the team correct. it's a team sport and all players need to lift for melb to lift off the bottom and win a bloody flag for us since the 60's

as you said...some players just need to get on the track for the duration of preseaons...others need to add kgs or improve the size of there engine.

thanks again to bhima for your original report. your a true blue demon!

Just in response to the odd question or two,

Todd Viney is certainly noticeable on the track, especially his stomach...has been eating well in Adelaide I guess. He was participating in some of the drills (as were some of the other coaches) and watching him 'chasing' down some of the players was pretty funny, as he wasn't moving too quickly. I have no idea about how he is fitting in but he was certainly involved yesterday. It took ages to spot Bails, as he is often very unobtrusive and likes to watch from a bit of a distance. Bails will then go to a player if he sees something, but is certainly pretty hands off and lets the assistants do much of the work. He does have a presence though and keeps a very close eye on proceedings.

Matthew Bate hasn't missed any sessions and yesterday was doing most of his work as a lead up forward (no surprises really). He looks fit and from what I can tell there is no indication that he has either lost weight (to gain more flexibility and speed), or put on weight (to become more of a 'power' forward). TBH he hasn't impressed that much. He still looks awkward marking above his head (although working on it at least), and his field kicking has been inconsistent. I've always liked Matty Bate, but unless he gets stronger overhead, better below his knees and hits targets by foot more regularly he will struggle to keep up in the coming years as the Dees improve. More than happy for him to prove me wrong as he is great to watch when on song, just my humble opinion.

Maric: Saw him smiling at training yesterday, which isn't something I've seen in the past. He is looking fit and looks very switched on and confident. I have heard (from a friend) that Maric rates himself pretty highly and has been upset with the selection committee for not playing him, but his attitude seems more mature this year and it might be the case that he has stopped blaming others for his non-selection. Plenty of people have asked whether he should have been traded (myself included), but from what I've seen the FD have been wise to keep him. I don't think he's a certain starter in 2011 but we will see more consistency from him and his kicking is that good atm that he might become a real weapon for the Dees in 2011 and beyond.

Sylvia: Didn't train with the main group yesterday, but I think he tries to manage his training load, as does Moloney, to ensure he keeps his body right. I have said a few times that Colin has a real presence at training and even his chat with Lucas Cook yesterday showed further signs he wants to be involved with his teammates in a leadership role. I think his primary focus (as he has said) is just to get through a season without injuries, rather than take on too many other responsiblities (such as captaincy/vice-captaincy). His kicking and marking are a cut above most at training and he is looking good.

Morton: Haven't commented much on Morton as it's hard to know what to make of him. He has put on weight, but mainly across the shoulders rather than biceps or thighs. A few times I haven't recognized him as he kicks an immaculate stab pass to a leading player, but then he will also mis-kick as sometimes drops, rather than guides, the ball to his foot. He hasn't missed any sessions and is going okay. He was working with the midfield group yesterday. It was interesting watching him go head-to-head with Moloney at centre bounce simulations. I was expecting Beamer to push him off with ease but Morton held his ground. I still don't know where Morton's best possie is. I think he has potential everywhere on the ground but so far at training he has been working with the mids and for those of us that want to see him at full forward or on a half-back flank, we might just have to wait a little while longer.

Petterd: Going really well. Prendergast has drafted so many good kicks and we have delisted so many dodgy kicks that Petterd's kicking action stands out at training. Despite it looking a bit ordinary, he is actually very skillful and knows what he is trying to do. His short and long kicking at training was impressive and he is competing in all drills and not on a modified program. He looks super keen and has been training with the forwards but also has been used through the middle during some drills. I think like Collingwood we are putting together a team of players who have the versatility to play a range of positions and Ricky definately has that going for his game.

Cheers.

Another excellent piece Bhima. Your reports indicate that competition for spots will be very fierce next year, even with the absence of Junior and Cam Bruce.

If there are few injuries then there will be very few places for the new kids in town. We turned over 38 players last season. I'd be surprised we get near that amount next year.

Looks like Todd Viney won't be one of them. Too many Pie floaters.

Love your work Bhima.

Would have thought Moloney was within his rights to give a young bloke a serve if he failed to follow instructions. No point mollycoddling these kids. This the AFL they need to get used to it.

As others have mentioned this it may be interesting to see if this is a bit of a pre-conceived plan to toughen them up. We have been very patient with our young team. There may be a step up in expectation of the list in general as the expectation of success increases.

If I have a negative observation of how we have managed our list over the last few years it would be that we have mollycoddled some of the kids at times.

Would have thought Moloney was within his rights to give a young bloke a serve if he failed to follow instructions. No point mollycoddling these kids. This the AFL they need to get used to it.

I don't think it is Moloney's initial response people have an issue with... the problem was the spit (assuming it was directed at the kid); was it Moloney or was there a second spitter on the grassy knoll?

If I have a negative observation of how we have managed our list over the last few years it would be that we have mollycoddled some of the kids at times.

I would agree with you.

Frawley and Moloney giving it to two kids smells like someone had a chat to the future vice captain and our AA half back to 'season' the kids.

Todd Viney could give a spray at training IIRC, but he wouldn't influence anything like that now...

Would he...

As others have mentioned this it may be interesting to see if this is a bit of a pre-conceived plan to toughen them up. We have been very patient with our young team. There may be a step up in expectation of the list in general as the expectation of success increases.

teams will try bully melb next year...how offten do you see it when a player misses a shot at goal and the opposition let them know about it.

Agree. Rohan and Clint Bartram were over at my place near the end of the season and I am a fat 90 k's and 175 cms and I can assure you he looked like twiggy next to me. 81 k's could be about right.

teams will try bully melb next year...how offten do you see it when a player misses a shot at goal and the opposition let them know about it.

Not sure what effect that has, other than making the guy who missed the shot try a bit harder to get more out of himself to teach the smart arse(s) a lesson.

I'm more worried about our youngsters standing back a little and not really stepping into the footy when it's there to be won against experienced big bodies that just go that bit harder and knock our boys outta the way.

Slightly off topic ... I note on the club website that the next training session is:

Casey Fields - Friday 10th December - 4:00pm

(160 Berwick - Cranbourne Road)

Is 4pm right? I thought they tended to train earlier in the day.

Not sure about the time...

But does anyone know if genuine research has been done that backs up why teams (generally) train in the morning? I'm guessing getting to bed early and up early is the right thing for the body, but I also would have thought training at the time of your (next) game would make sense. Playing at 7:40pm on Friday night... train once or twice that week at 7:40 to get used to it...

Slightly off topic ... I note on the club website that the next training session is:

Casey Fields - Friday 10th December - 4:00pm

(160 Berwick - Cranbourne Road)

Is 4pm right? I thought they tended to train earlier in the day.

The Casey Demons Christmas Party is on at 4pm and training has been doctored to suit the event.

I don't think they'd get many attendees if the christmas party was held at 7am

I don't think it is Moloney's initial response people have an issue with... the problem was the spit (assuming it was directed at the kid); was it Moloney or was there a second spitter on the grassy knoll?

Footballers spit... and the observation was that he spat in his direction not at him, no biggie. If young Davis get's a senior game of footy he will need to cop a bit more than that, if the kid copped it and got on with the job, then that's a small tick next to his name.

If we intend to play finals this year then the current crop needs to be fast-tracked we won't have the luxury of being labelled a "developing side" forever. If they aren't mentally strong then they need to get mentally strong, and now not in three years time.

From what I am told from a very good source there will be less excuses and much more expectation placed on the playing group. As RPFC alluded to it will be interesting to observe if there will be a "Viney" factor at work as well.

Can't wait.. bring it on.

Footballers spit... and the observation was that he spat in his direction not at him, no biggie. If young Davis get's a senior game of footy he will need to cop a bit more than that, if the kid copped it and got on with the job, then that's a small tick next to his name.

If we intend to play finals this year then the current crop needs to be fast-tracked we won't have the luxury of being labelled a "developing side" forever. If they aren't mentally strong then they need to get mentally strong, and now not in three years time.

From what I am told from a very good source there will be less excuses and much more expectation placed on the playing group. As RPFC alluded to it will be interesting to observe if there will be a "Viney" factor at work as well.

So that would be the expectoration expectation factor.....right?

I think it's super important that people don't get carried away as it is impossible to be certain if Moloney spat at Davis. I was very close by and Davis moved forward to say sorry and Beamer ignored him, and as he starting running off he turned his head and spat over his shoulder, which happened to be in the direction of Davis. I will say that Moloney did appear to spit in disgust/anger, and it was certainly a bit like a dog pissing to establish his territory. Davis looks like he isn't too precious and has probably forgotten it. To an impartial observer the whole scene reflected poorly on Beamer, however it was a short moment and I'm sure everyone has moved on.

thanks for the great informative report Bhima... your reports are always interesting to read. .. (May catch up soon..otherwise merry Xmas )

Can't wait.. bring it on.

I'm sure there will be a "Viney" factor or influence.

Cast your minds back to the '08 GF pre game prep. Visions of him getting in Hodge and Lewis' ears before walking up the race might be a small glimpse of what processes will be in place in terms of preparation.

So that would be the expectoration expectation factor.....right?

tempered by the odd unexpectation of annihilation spectator frustration exhortation factor followed by fornication and sometimes procreation and lactation