MFC Training (Wednesday)

Bhima

Okay, back from holidays and managed to get down to a long session at AAMI park today. Will be the last time I get to watch the boys before they head down to Casey so probably my last report for the summer.

Had a good look at some of our new draftees and that will be the focus of the report, however I will say that nearly all the boys were out there training today and it was a very competitive hit-out. Also, the guys who are new to the team all looked a bit lost and unfit which made for an interesting session. It appeared that the pecking order was being established throughout the session and I felt for a few guys who are obvious both young and lacking fitness when they had to take on the likes of Frawley and Moloney.

Dan Nicholson: Really liked what I saw. He looks super fit, quick and has the ability to keep running hard during drills. He was training with the defenders for a good part of the session and managed to hold is own against the more seasoned players, successfully spoiling a Brad Green lead and getting some applause from the boys. He seems to have fitted in very well and it might be the case that he is similar to R Bail. Taken late in the draft but doesn't mind the physical aspects of the game and athletically is ready to go. His kicking for me is the only concern. He is a left footer but his action is a little like Mattner from the Swans, with a slightly awkward ball drop. I don't think it is a major issue and with consistent practice he should be okay. His hands are quick and when the ball is on the ground he doesn't fumble. He could perhaps one day replace Bartram? Either way, he looks like an excellent rookie choice and seems popular with the players.

Cameron Johnston: This bloke is very keen on the track, constantly licking the palms of his hands and rubbing then together a la Cam Bruce. His marking looks pretty good, one grab and very clean most of the time. His kicking action is fine, however his short kicking needs work. He was kicking to Bennell, and where Bennell's kicks were flat and penetrating, CJ's kicks were more floaters in the Robert Harvey manner. During drills he kicked three clangers in a row and you could tell he was pretty nervous. It is interesting that in his bio on the MFC website his decision making is considered a weapon, however his video footage doesn't really provide any evidence of this (ie often bombing long). Today in a simulated match where the players had to play on as soon as possible, he was held up, unable to find a target. J Frawley gave him a bit of a serve and I'd say the decision making might not be perfect. As keen as he is, he might be a longer term project (which is not a surprise given where he was taken in the draft). He can handball bloody well, easy handpassing over twenty meters. Didn't get an opportunity to see his long kicking. Overall, another bloke who might just make it with a few years in the system under his belt, very quick and athletic also.

Jeremy Howe: Possibly this guy was the most impressive of all the new guys on the track. He just appears to be quietly confident in his ability, and trains as if he's been in the squad for a couple of years, not a couple of weeks. He took a couple of impressive contested grabs. His kicking on the right and left foot looked good. I was most impressed with how clean and fast his hands were. They were running drills were a marking forward would deliberately punch an incoming kick to a player crumbing at his feet. Howe was able to crumb the ball easily in one grab and dish off to a receiving player with a left hand handball in the blink of an eye. He just didn't seem to have any weaknesses but also looked like he fitted right in. I doubt he is 192cm as been stated around the place. Looks more like he's just shorter than LJ - but not KP height. I'm not sure where his position will be but he looks very talented and 33 in the national draft does not seem too high, rather it seems more surprising that he hasn't already been drafted.

Tom McDonald: Tom is very mobile and athletic for his height (194cm). He moves well on the lead and is a good mark above his head. His kicking is a little average but not terrible, just doesn't guide the ball fully to boot with his right hand, rather drops it and thus some of his kicks miss the target. He clearly will need a year or two to bulk up to AFL level and needs to improve his handpassing and skills below his knees. That being said I was surprised with how well he moves and although he made some mistakes, he wasn't totally overawed and just needs to develop some confidence. A good size and certainly seems like a utility who can have a crack up forward, in the ruck and down back...looks like we'll have to wait and see.

Lucas Cook: On the track he looks similar to Jobe Watson, but fortunately he is a beautiful kick of the football. Cook has a bit of a 'slicing' kick, a bit like davey or slyvia, where he can kick accurately and with good penetration over short distances. His is very skinny and looked at times not to know where to run. Some of the senior players were telling him were to run and it would be hard not to feel the pressure. The intensity of the session seemed very different to previous sessions in that regard, with many of the senior players seeming quite happy to apply pressure on the young blokes. Unfortunately Cook left the field half-way through the session, and although I was 100 meters away, he seemed pretty distressed and could have been in tears. He was sitting down and had his head in his hands and a few trainers were nearby. Col Sylvia had a brief chat and rubbed his hair as if to say 'keep your chin up'. Dunno what happened but it didn't look great, hoping it's nothing.

Troy Davis: Liked what I saw. He appears to have the height to play a key position (although listed 192cm), as he easily looked as tall as Frawley and Rivers. Davis seems a defender who is able to niggle players with ease (an excellent trait for a defender). At one point during training the players were involved in a full match simulation and he put a spoil on Brent Moloney, the drills however required players only to attempt spoiling and tackling and not fully complete them in order for play to be continuous. When he knocked the ball out of Moloney's hands he also made small contact with Beamer's head and shoulders. Beamer immediately turned around and had a huge verbal crack at Davis. Davis tried to apologise but Moloney would have nothing of it, and then spat in Davis direction as he ran off, clearly furious. I was 10 meters away and found Moloney's reproach of this younger player to be fascinating. I suppose it depends on leadership style but it was a moment for me where I wasn't sure if Beamer would be an ideal captain. He could well have had a go and then shook Davis hand and encouraged him, but I found Moloney's reaction amazing and he was clearly putting Davis in his place as a new member of the squad. Davis kept training but it was a tough introduction. He later lost his man several times during drills in which two defenders would take on two forwards. The defenders would have to communicate and switch forwards while the forwards would set blocks to create a loose man. A few times he lost his man and the forward received an easy pass. Frawley spent some time showing him a few things as did B Royal. He has some okay pace but looks like he needs a full pre-season to get his fitness to AFL level.

Robert Campbell: Campbell looked totally relaxed on the track. He was running and kicking well, looks very fit and should be ready to go round 1 if we need him. The ruck stocks suddenly look very healthy with Spencer, Jamar, Gawn, Fitzy and Martin all completing ruck drills and all looking very fit. It was good to see Max Gawn completing more drills with the main group, as most players are coming off their modified training. Campbell was very vocal and happy to give directions to the other rucks, and I felt a bit sorry for the Dees ruck coach (Meeson?), as it almost seemed as if Campbell was directing proceedings and making the Ruck coach's job redudant. Campbell's experience could be priceless for the Dees and I think he is a terrific choice by Prendergast.

Otherwise, the full squad was out their training and it was a two hour session. J Gysberts was the only player I didn't see out there. Several players were training away from the main group, but of those only Rohan Bail did not seem to be running freely. Jack Watts was back in full training, although when he makes mistakes they are always comical, and I think there are a few more bloopers for the highlights reel to come for young Jack. He was kicking beautifully on goal and took a few nice grabs, still needs time. J Trengove, who I've a had a few concerns about, was moving really well and looked quicker, kicking well and once again looking every bit a #2 draft pick. He stands out in traffic, wants the ball when the pressure lifts and regularly hits targets: Gun. Speaking of Guns, Jack Grimes was dominant today, running really hard and kicking really well. Jamie Bennell is also flying and looking forward to what he can show in 2011.

There was a fair bit of niggle in the session today, boys just settling in as a new squad, but the aggro in the air was new and not a bad thing...it will sort the men from the boys pretty quickly as the competition gets hotter for the first 21 positions.

If I've missed anyone, or you would like to know more, feel free to ask.

Cheers.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the report, Bhima. A good read, and much appreciated from those of us so far from the action.

Will be interesting to look back in a couple of years' time, and see which of the new crop has made it. An exciting time for the MFC!

Great descriptions; and some encouraging signs indeed. I am a little worried about this:

Unfortunately Cook left the field half-way through the session, and although I was 100 meters away, he seemed pretty distressed and could have been in tears. He was sitting down and had his head in his hands and a few trainers were nearby. Col Sylvia had a brief chat and rubbed his hair as if to say 'keep your chin up'. Dunno what happened but it didn't look great, hoping it's nothing.

If it happened as you described, I wonder if it is a major injury, personal issues, or a lack of mental fortitude? None are palatable. No disrespect intended; but let's hope distance played a part and you misread what was going on.

Guest Thomo

Thanks, a great read.

I like the sound of a bit of agro in the group, I think we have missed that in the past. Sounds like a few players are trying hard to step up as leaders, maybe too hard sometimes, but good to see the leadership gap being filled.

Good review.

Exactly what I expected / hoped for from Robbie Campbell.

I'm tickled pink.

Interesting to hear about Beamer and Chip both giving verbals.

I think it's an indication that they are trying to raise standards and not tolerate poor performances even on the training track, but maybe due to youth & inexperience are going about it in the wrong way. It's hard to say without being there to see & hear it.

In terms of leadership, I'm loathe to say anything bad about Beamer as he's an acquaintance through some mates.

But he's just not captain material. I don't think he has it upstairs. Watch him & listen to him in interviews. Not to say that he is stupid, but I don't think he communicates effectively enough. He'll lead by example, but I want more than that from a captain.

Great descriptions; and some encouraging signs indeed. I am a little worried about this:

If it happened as you described, I wonder if it is a major injury, personal issues, or a lack of mental fortitude? None are palatable. No disrespect intended; but let's hope distance played a part and you misread what was going on.

This doesn't concern me at all and I'm sure it would occur more often than supporters realise.

The kid has just gone through a big life change, moved into an intimidating environment and is facing pressure as he struggles to find his feet. Perfectly understandable. Being barked at by teammates doesn't help.

The kid will be fine, and remember he is just that, a kid. Not sure if he's even 18 yet.

Great report Bhima - not only from the perspective of those Demonlanders who are in the country or interstate but those of us who are officebound and snowed under (sorry for the pun) with work at this time of year.

Unfortunately Cook left the field half-way through the session, and although I was 100 meters away, he seemed pretty distressed and could have been in tears. He was sitting down and had his head in his hands and a few trainers were nearby. Col Sylvia had a brief chat and rubbed his hair as if to say 'keep your chin up'. Dunno what happened but it didn't look great, hoping it's nothing.

You said that this was half-way through the session. Did he come back onto the field, did he receive attention from the trainers or did he go into the rooms after that?

Cheers

As usual a great report, so thanks for that. I too would love to know how Scully was going, as well as Blease and Tapscott.

You did however, bring out the editor in me :) :

Also, the guys who are new to the team all looked a bit lost and unfit which made for an interesting session.

Dan Nicholson: Really liked what I saw. He looks super fit, quick and has the ability to keep running hard during drills.

Edited by hardtack

geez I don't like the sound of that from Beamer, not one bit

thanks for the write-up

Great report.

Whether or not Beamer did what was reported I don't think that leaders should be critical of others and attempting to make them feel down. Leadership is the opposite - praise and support. (Been on too many lovey dovey courses)

Whether or not Beamer did what was reported I don't think that leaders should be critical of others and attempting to make them feel down. Leadership is the opposite - praise and support. (Been on too many lovey dovey courses)

I suppose it really depends on just where he was hit and how hard - what looks slight is not always slight, particularly if the player on the receiving end is not prepared for the hit due to the nature of the exercise. Good leadership is definitely NOT purely about praise and support, it is also about teaching lessons and being open and honest... maybe Beamer just needs to refine his diplomacy skills :-)

I suppose it really depends on just where he was hit and how hard - what looks slight is not always slight, particularly if the player on the receiving end is not prepared for the hit due to the nature of the exercise. Good leadership is definitely NOT purely about praise and support, it is also about teaching lessons and being open and honest... maybe Beamer just needs to refine his diplomacy skills :-)

it also messed up the drill apparently. Beamer wouldn't have liked that.

Glad people are enjoying the training updates.

Firstly, well spotted Hardtack, It should have read most of, not all of, and I will work hard to ensure such errors are not repeated in future:)

On Lucas Cook, he was sitting with a trainer beside him for a good 20 mins, although they weren't really talking. He wasn't stretching any his legs or arms, so it didn't appear as if he had broken anything. The drills he had been doing included tackling and were fairly physical. It is possible he took a hit from a bigger player and it shook him up. As I said, there was a bit of aggro out there and most of the younger blokes were under pressure and received the odd hard word from more senior players. I'm pretty sure that after about ten mins of sitting down one of the trainers gave him some tablets (some sort of pain killers?). Either way he didn't resume training and sat for a long time looking pretty down right beside the training group. I didn't see him after that. I couldn't give you any further information.

I agree with you E25 that Beamer is not captaincy material, even more so after what I saw today. I have no problem with a disciplined and assertive approach, however I think that needs to be coupled with understanding and encouragement. He bleeds for the club and his passion and commitment cannot be questioned. However, he does not appear to have the diplomatic or social skills to be the leader and key spokesperson for the players.

For those enquiring about Scully, once again he was looking very focused and controlled, but what set him apart is that when the intensity lifted, he improved. There are heaps of blokes who look sensational but fall apart when the physical and mental pressure is turned up. Sculls seems to thrive in that environment. He mental strength is his greatest weapon. Trengove was similar in that regard today, never looked rushed.

Blease was with the main group for half the session. He is looking good although still misses a few kicks, not off the side of the boot, but he kicks too far or too short. His kicking on the left foot was very precise. Not sure what his personality is like but it appears as if he rates himself pretty highly. I think he'll get a bit of a wake up once he gets to AFL level. Overall he looks quick and skillful and continues to recover well from his ankle injury.

Tapscott is one of the few players that continues to work away from the main group. He is a tank, very easy to spot on the training track. He was running pretty well and looks okay, I guess they don't want to take any chances after his first year was ruined with injuries.

Cheers