Matthew Bate

GRUN DEE

With our forward line looking promising with Jurrah, Petterd, Dunn, Watts, Sylvia, Aussie/Jetta and Green.

I believe it will be difficult to fit Bate in our best 22.

We possibly trade him to the Gold Coast for Pick 15? Or is that asking too much? We could add Pick 31 to get the deal over the line if we can get a 2nd rounder for Maric from an Essendon or Richmond.

That would allow us to trade Pick 12 to the Lions for Brennan who can play forward/ruck/midfield. Great size and athetic abilities. Needs a fresh start!

I understand where you're coming from Jungle Dee. Bate has been pushed down the pecking order this year. The problem with him is that he is as inconsistent now as he was the day he first walked into the club. People forget that he was drafted a year after Sylvia. Had Sylvia not pulled his finger out in '09 & '10 people would have been demanding him to be traded. Bate should be treated no differently. He seems lazy, is extremely slow in terms of both pace and in the head, was rarely sighted taking an overhead mark this year, has poor awareness and the turning circle of Queen Mary 2. When he is on though (which is rarer than a full moon) he can dominate a game. He needs to have a bloody good year next year (for a full year), or his name should be put on the trade table.

Bate has been re-signed. He is a required player. Btw we have pick 32.

doesnt mean he cant be traded if hes agreeable. WHo knows what might happen in trade week. Id consider him for trade

For starters, I do not think we would get pick 15 for Bate. He would be a good fit at the GC given some of the holes they have, and it would be a great chance for him to reboot his career.

I like Bate, and would be happy to retain him. I just get the feeling that If he cannot get going next season he will not be in our future plans. A split to a new team this trade period could do him a world of good, and it would give the dees a new pick/player to work with.

For starters, I do not think we would get pick 15 for Bate. He would be a good fit at the GC given some of the holes they have, and it would be a great chance for him to reboot his career.

I like Bate, and would be happy to retain him. I just get the feeling that If he cannot get going next season he will not be in our future plans. A split to a new team this trade period could do him a world of good, and it would give the dees a new pick/player to work with.

ditto

A question for those who'll be considering such Bate talk heresy.. If Hale comes to Melbourne..and the forward arc firms up....where does Bate fit in ? If asked Id say the wing.... but hes not setting the world on fire there either... Matty is proving his own worst enemy by not nailing down his participation

With our forward line looking promising with Jurrah, Petterd, Dunn, Watts, Sylvia, Aussie/Jetta and Green.

I believe it will be difficult to fit Bate in our best 22.

We possibly trade him to the Gold Coast for Pick 15? Or is that asking too much? We could add Pick 31 to get the deal over the line if we can get a 2nd rounder for Maric from an Essendon or Richmond.

That would allow us to trade Pick 12 to the Lions for Brennan who can play forward/ruck/midfield. Great size and athetic abilities. Needs a fresh start!

I'd give away Bate & Maric for Brennan. We go from pick 12 to 15 and stay similar with the Maric trade in the 2nd round.

I like that, GC sure wont.

In any case, Bate still has a place in our side. He did have a bad year, but there are reasons. If he is any good he would be thinking that he could get his place back over a Dunn, Jetta even a Petterd.

Gee Wizz there are some harsh supporters here!!

with some very small memories..

Bate is a gun. NO WAY should we trade him. He has done a lot for a young bloke thus far in his career holding up our forward line.

He was down in form for the second half of last year, I would say some of that was fatigue.

We have a new look forward line now and Bate definitely fits into it.

I hate hearing people tip on blokes. He has been a great servant, is coming into his prime, and is a very handy player!

Bate carried the team through games last year - I would not be so hard on him yet.

well..thats a bit generous but I'll conced your idea. The problem is he backed up in a few roles without ever stamping himslef on any of them. He reminds me of a tide.

As others are coming on and returning from injuries, that plus new team additions brings into question... where does he fit in?

my main annoyance with bate, is what i used to be annoyed at with sylvia, and annoys me about maric, he is so damn quick, but you only see his speed when running towards goal, now sylvia breaks packs, and chases to tackle, if bate can add the defensive pressure side to his football, then there will be more in contention for a spot in our team, if he doesnt pressure defenders, then he will sit in the magoos all season.

Terry Wallace has a saying that he flogged to death yesterday on Draft Radio. "Trade a player one year early rather than one year late".

Maybe a Club would offer a high 20's pick for him, which we could on-trade to North for Hale.

Not sure what wed get but the market out there is active, so might be an opportune time to do it. I agree in the notion to trade earlier rather than later...ideally when just right for both parties. We need to learn as a club ( and accept as supporters) its no use hanging on..and on til no value exists. Weve done this far too often in the past.

If Bate is more a depth /backup type player , and if hes reached his zenith thensurely wed be better off using other depth and developing someone else with a possible higher thresh-hold of output ?

Guest grimes4

my main annoyance with bate, is what i used to be annoyed at with sylvia, and annoys me about maric, he is so damn quick, but you only see his speed when running towards goal, now sylvia breaks packs, and chases to tackle, if bate can add the defensive pressure side to his football, then there will be more in contention for a spot in our team, if he doesnt pressure defenders, then he will sit in the magoos all season.

couldnt agree more! I have been saying that for the last 4 or 5 years since he started! He never applies defensive pressure! Same with Dunn, although Dunn did improve in that area this year

if bate can add the defensive pressure side to his football, then there will be more in contention for a spot in our team

yeah I agree with that - Bate's apparent lack of agility probably hurts him there - I think he's gouing to need to work hard on his game to lock in a place - there's a lot of competition from medium forwards who are strong defensively and can kick goals - Dunn and Petterd.

Had a very down year due to injury and form.

The emergence of Dunn and the improvements in a couple of our other players in the forward line will see him have to work extra hard over the pre-season to push back into the team. When he is on, he can play the crash and bash forward but has the engine to play further up the field. Another case of a player not finding a specific position to play.

Terry Wallace has a saying that he flogged to death yesterday on Draft Radio. "Trade a player one year early rather than one year late".

Maybe a Club would offer a high 20's pick for him, which we could on-trade to North for Hale.

The same could of been said for Lynden Dunn - and look where he is now.

True, and who in their right mind would take advice from Wallace haha...

I like Bate and rate him as a player, but if he doesn't pull his finger out surely next year hes gone... We have his replacement "Yet to Debut"... his name is Tappy and he has no neck. He also has a rocket foot, is agile and quick with a sharp goal sense.

If Dunn keeps his form, and Petterd cracks back in, Bate is finished!

Another case of a player not finding a specific position to play.

His best spot is a between the centre square and the 50 metre arc. He owns it when he is "on" but goes missing far too much when he not "on". Inconsistency as apose to a downhill skier for mine.. he is capable of turning a match, so if he can get consistent, my tip is he pushes out a Morton/Dunn.

True, and who in their right mind would take advice from Wallace haha...

I like Bate and rate him as a player, but if he doesn't pull his finger out surely next year hes gone... We have his replacement "Yet to Debut"... his name is Tappy and he has no neck. He also has a rocket foot, is agile and quick with a sharp goal sense.

If Dunn keeps his form, and Petterd cracks back in, Bate is finished!

You've sort of contradicted yourself here Nostra.

I agree, who'd take advice from Plough? But then you're saying that if Bate doesn't perform next year he's gone. What do you mean by gone? You wont get anything in the trade next year for him if he performs badly again.

This is where Wallace's statement has a lot of merit. In case of Bate - he may have trade value this year, do we take the plunge and get rid of him? at least we will be compensated higher this year than we would on the back of a poor 12 months in 2011.

Where is he now Dannyz? Let's be honest. Top 10 in AFL? Top 20? Top 50? Would he make the top 100?

He's solid, had a good last half of the year. Will always be a good player, never a great player, but we do need a couple fo that type in the team.

What many are failing to answer is where on the ground can he find a home ? forward ? too inconsistent and no defensive side . Outside the arc I.e. taller utilitarian mid ? Lacks real speed and agilty. Forget him in defence . So where ?

Personally I'd have looked to trade him not re-sign him. Right now he has some value.. If he fails to fire next season he's a list clogger. possibly a little harsh but I don't follow this team to be mates with them !!

In 09 the team list was different to now and what will exist in 011. ... So where does he play ? What does he add to the structure ? All I keep hearing is he's a good player down on form who can get back .. What's his positionand why does HE get it ? Anyone ?

I wouldn't be surprised to see Bate hop over Dunn next year. Fwd line of Woanaeamirri, Green, Jurrah, Watts, Bate, Petterd looks alright to me. Clearly the FD are hoping Hale and Jamar can spend some time down there as well. Bate's a required player because no one will offer us enough to make the deal good for us. If GC said pick 15 I'm sure the FD would consider it. As this side improves so will players like Bate.