David Hale

Demon Tragic

Looks like it's done - Hale to Hawks

I know that some people were warming to the idea of Hale, but I think we'll look back on this trade with a huge sigh of relief!

Here are just 2 of many comments by North supporters on BigFooty:

- "We can him about being a chicken wing who gets pushed out of contests every single week, but when it's trade time, we want the world for him. Something about cake and eating it too, or something?"

- "- Drops too many easy marks. - Is terrible when the ball is below his knees. - Hasn't taken a contested mark for 2 years. - Doesn't get enough of the ball when he is in the ruck. - Hit outs are average at best. - Kicking for goal is good. - Is very slow."

Most North supporters are talking up Hale as soon as he's up for trade, yet they have bagged him unrelentingly throughout 2010 for being a soft hack who is terrible below his knees and can't take a contested grab to save himself.

Sure, we still have the problem of no quality back-up ruckman, but we've got an All Australian number 1 ruck, and our forward line is developing splendidly.

We will draft another young kid with pick 32, and we'll be very well placed in 2 years time to get a genuine gun. We are a team on the rise and everybody knows it

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not invalid. As I said in my first post. If it wasn't for the draft we would be stuffed. My post was based in frustration on being able to attract established good players to the club.

And like I alluded to, it is hard to attract players given our position during this period of time you are referring to. Understanding that our list resembled a basket case and that it was a time for rebuild and turning over the list through the draft, isn't really the best selling point for big name ("established good players") recruits, is it ?!

Understanding this would help alleviate some of that frustration.

Yep that's why we spent 3 months chasing him and were prepared to offer pick 32.

Only quoting from North supporters from several bigfooty posts through 2010 and through this trade period.

Obviously the demons rated him at pick 32, but I feel that we only rated him that highly bc of our clear deficiency with no tall forward and no quality 2nd ruckman on our list.

The hawks have overpaid on this one imo (pick 28 i believe?), and pick 32 would have been slightly overpaying as well imo. I reckon we'll look back at this one in 2 years and say 'thank god we didn't fall for that one'

And like I alluded to, it is hard to attract players given our position during this period of time you are referring to. Understanding that our list resembled a basket case and that it was a time for rebuild and turning over the list through the draft, isn't really the best selling point for big name ("established good players") recruits, is it ?!

Understanding this would help alleviate some of that frustration.

Has any1 given thought to jack anthony? He is a capable forward with some pace and can play in defence? While dunn has showed glimpses of form I don't think he'll make it somehow and without someone like didak I don't think we will improve much next yr...

Yep that's why we spent 3 months chasing him and were prepared to offer pick 32.

I think the theory was that we'd get more upside out of him than North could, if we handled him better, with our style of play, and with our other forwards around him. Well, maybe, maybe not. I still think it was worth a try.

Oh, and by the way, we didn't lose him because he preferred Hawthorn as a club to us. The reason we didn't get him is because they had a slightly better offer. If we'd had the better offer and still not got him, then I would be more concerned about choosing other clubs ahead of us.

Only quoting from North supporters from several bigfooty posts through 2010 and through this trade period.

Obviously the demons rated him at pick 32, but I feel that we only rated him that highly bc of our clear deficiency with no tall forward and no quality 2nd ruckman on our list.

The hawks have overpaid on this one imo (pick 28 i believe?), and pick 32 would have been slightly overpaying as well imo. I reckon we'll look back at this one in 2 years and say 'thank god we didn't fall for that one'

FFS, here's the most recent North supporter post on the BF Hale thread:

"Well done Hawks,

Even though some of you may yet to be convinced, Haley could be the missing piece of the puzzle for you guys. Very underrated on here.

All the best with him. "

Which ones are right?

Has any1 given thought to jack anthony? He is a capable forward with some pace and can play in defence? While dunn has showed glimpses of form I don't think he'll make it somehow and without someone like didak I don't think we will improve much next yr...

Yeah, I think someone mentioned him in a post a few months ago.....tells a story in itself doesn't it ?

Ox mentioned him last night on SEN, and that the Demons should be "chasing him hard." I very nearly caused a 50 car pile up on the M1 on hearing it.

Which ones are right?

You decide.

One group of supporters have been suddenly talking up Hale all week, miraculously appearing out of the woodwork just as Hale is put on the trade table and they obviously want as good compensation as possible for him.

The other group has maintained the same position throughout all 2009 and 2010. That while Hale is a useful player, he never turned out to be the player they hoped he would be, and now plays just as regularly in the vfl than he does at afl.

Guest grimes4

And with all the Sandra Sullys posting old tweets and Hun articles, still the "signed, sealed & delivered" trade of Hale to the Hawks has not been announced.

Still some water to go under the bridge, kiddies.

Well your WRONG! gone through

You decide.

One group of supporters have been suddenly talking up Hale all week, miraculously appearing out of the woodwork just as Hale is put on the trade table and they obviously want as good compensation as possible for him.

The other group has maintained the same position throughout all 2009 and 2010. That while Hale is a useful player, he never turned out to be the player they hoped he would be, and now plays just as regularly in the vfl than he does at afl.

How about I don't take any notice of BF posters and do take notice of the Hawthorn and Melbourne FDs?

We failed this trade week, after a lot of groundwork.

This must still be a priority for next years trade week.

Whilst I don't really mind not getting him, I do feel the same way in that we started discussions in June/July, we clearly identified him as a target, yet we still didn't get him. We failed to get Judd, we failed to get Burgoyne, we failed to get Ball, now we've failed to get Hale, and whilst we can, and still will, be successful without any of them, it annoys me that we still can't land a player.

HALE gone to Hawks-What a waste of over 600 posts on his matter.

What a fine acquisition for Box Hill!

Bailey, Renouf, Taylor, Skipper, Franklin, Roughhead. Really Hawthorn? Another ruck/forward?

How about I don't take any notice of BF posters and do take notice of the Hawthorn and Melbourne FDs?

Sure, both FD's were seeking to acquire his services... but do you really think they rated him THAT highly? I'd suggest not considering the final trade...

The final trade appears to be: (source = afl website)

Hale + pick 52 ----> pick 29 + pick 71.

Basically, pick 29 was considered by the Hawks FD to be over the odds for Hale, so the Kangas had to sweeten it by allowing the Hawks to upgrade pick 71 to pick 52!