Will Ratten Target Warnock?

pringle

Brett Ratten quote from his post game press conference: "The group is still young and that's the big thing, the experience is something we want but you can't just inject it into the players to get them another 30 games, but maybe we'll look at getting another tall defender down the track."

Given Carlton's recent history of poaching Melbourne players (CJ, McLean), it immediately sprang to my mind that Warnock would be a logical choice for them. Seems to have slipped in the pecking order here at the Dees since Garland, Frawley and Rivers have been performing so well and he may want more opportunities to play regular senior footy. Plus there's the lure of him playing with his brother. If Matty asked to be traded to Carlton (I would if I was him), what would be a fair trade?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be hoping we would accept one of their ruckman (Jacobs/Hampson).

Hampson could be a straight swap but I would rather Jacobs....

Warnock for Jacobs plus swapping a few picks would be ok.

I would be hoping we would accept one of their ruckman (Jacobs/Hampson).

Hampson could be a straight swap but I would rather Jacobs....

Warnock for Jacobs plus swapping a few picks would be ok.

Would much rather Hampson, he has a much higher ceiling, Jacobs is SOOOO slow

How about Warnock for Warnock?

I'd sign off on that ;)

robb warnock would have been a GREAT get by us.

Was that just last summer? Would it have been a choice between Tapscott (pick 18) and Warnock. who would people prefer

Jacobs or Hampson sounds like a "Fair" Trade to me Carlton are in desperate need of a strong KPB and we are in desperate need of a Quality 2nd ruckman. Which ones better, Jacobs or Hampson and why?

However i will not be disapointed if we retain Warnock still has alot to offer.

On another note Hawthorn, Richmond and possibly West Coast could all use a player like Warnock. His currency may be at its peak right now!

warnock for walker or hampsom for me

Would prefer Warnock as key position depth than either of those 2.

People must consider that Warncok is the next and ONLY other option behind Frawley, Garland, Rivers and MacDonald. We cannot have all 5 in the same team, and as this point Warnock is rated 5th. However things change very quickly, and we will inevitably get injuries to at least 1 of them throughout next season. Behind Warnock, we are really scraping the bottom of the barrel, with Cheney and McNamara the next best options.

It would have to be a very good deal for us to give up Warnock, and Hampson (who i rate behind Jacobs) and Walker (who imo is very spuddish) are not enough imo

People must consider that Warncok is the next and ONLY other option behind Frawley, Garland, Rivers and MacDonald. We cannot have all 5 in the same team, and as this point Warnock is rated 5th. However things change very quickly, and we will inevitably get injuries to at least 1 of them throughout next season. Behind Warnock, we are really scraping the bottom of the barrel, with Cheney and McNamara the next best options.

Agree that there's nothing beyond Warnock in the KPD stakes, but how long do you keep him on the list for for that reason? I think the strategy of retaining a player as "insurance" has a pretty short shelf-life. If his value is purely insurance then I'd be looking to draft another key defender in the draft (possibly late or as a rookie if there are any avaialable?), with the hope that they become good enough to knock off one of the other blokes in the side. Then you start a cycle where you're consistently churning over your 'reserve' defender until you get one good enough to knock off one of your best-22 defenders, then that defender becomes the depth defender that gets recycled.

Holding on to a player for too long when they're not core contributors to your side is just wasting spots on the list I think.

Agree that there's nothing beyond Warnock in the KPD stakes, but how long do you keep him on the list for for that reason? I think the strategy of retaining a player as "insurance" has a pretty short shelf-life. If his value is purely insurance then I'd be looking to draft another key defender in the draft (possibly late or as a rookie if there are any avaialable?), with the hope that they become good enough to knock off one of the other blokes in the side. Then you start a cycle where you're consistently churning over your 'reserve' defender until you get one good enough to knock off one of your best-22 defenders, then that defender becomes the depth defender that gets recycled.

Holding on to a player for too long when they're not core contributors to your side is just wasting spots on the list I think.

Stef Martin is the forgotten man in all this, if warnock goes, martin would probably return to the backline, which seemed to be his best spot.

Warnock for Hampson would be pretty good, would really clear up 2 spots on the list (warnock and PJ gone)

Stef Martin is the forgotten man in all this, if warnock goes, martin would probably return to the backline, which seemed to be his best spot.

Warnock for Hampson would be pretty good, would really clear up 2 spots on the list (warnock and PJ gone)

Very good point. Back to where he has looked most comfortable but squeezed out due to lack of space in the team.

Its not groundbreaking news, but Warnock will be listening to offers this trade period and will go if guaranteed a spot in another sides 22

Like Johnson and Brock? I don't think players (esp of that standard) get guaranteed spots

But I agree Warnock will have his ear to the ground and would probably take a better offer

warnock for walker or hampsom for me

Honestly if we could work out some sort of deal that nets us Hampson and Walker for Warnock and a pick? Id be really happy with that.

Walker is not a spud, he is an incredible athlete, just had alot of unfortunate injuries.

If Ratten wanted Warnock why not ask for Gibbs for a trade.

Ah no. Not because we wouldn't want Gibbs. Because it wouldn't be appropriate - for Carlton and it's members, that is.

If you're going to ask for Gibbs, you may as well try for Judd JCB. And that is just ridiculous.

What would it achieve ? It would only tickle their funny bone, that's what.

Ah no. Not because we wouldn't want Gibbs. Because it wouldn't be appropriate - for Carlton and it's members, that is.

If you're going to ask for Gibbs, you may as well try for Judd JCB.

Or rather, if you're going to ask for Judd, you may as well try for Gibbs...

(I'd rate Gibbs higher than Judd, based purely on expected future output)

Or rather, if you're going to ask for Judd, you may as well try for Gibbs...

(I'd rate Gibbs higher than Judd, based purely on expected future output)

Either way E25, it won't happen. Judd, Gibbs, Murphy, Kreuzer, Henderson are what I believe would be regarded as the untouchables.

Do you think poaching is the right word? :huh:

I think so. We weren't really desperate to get rid of either player. They chose to leave after hearing offers from Carlton. Hence I think they were poached.

It's interesting to see that not many people would miss Warnock if he left. I know sentiment means nothing in the cut-throat world of AFL footy, but I like his story and the way he worked hard to make it in the AFL as a slower starter. At the beginning of this year people were talking about how strong our defence is with Frawley and Warnock as our two reliable KPD's. However I agree that others seem to have superseded him. If he's ever going to have any trade value it will be this year.

And FWIW, I don't think we need to trade him for a ruckman. We have Jamar, Gawn and Fitzpatrick (I know he's a forward, but these days it seems coaches want a forward who can ruck rather than two ruckmen in the team). And until the two younger boys maure I still think PJ is adequate. Hampson and Jacobs are just so-so and nothing to get too excited about. I'd prefer Walker if give the option.