Watts with ignoring Watts?

Guest Yeats_08

Guest Yeats_08

I have kept my mouth shut about this for several weeks now, but last night confirmed once again that several of our players seemingly ignore or are reluctant to pass the footy to one J. Watts. Over and over again, Watts finds himself alone on a flank, inside fifty, in the corridor and despite jumping up and down and waiving his arms crazily, he continually gets the cold shoulder from a large majority of MFC players.....WHY?

Do they not have confidence in him? Do they genuinely not notice him? Has there been a directive from the coaching staff to make him earn his own footy?

I really am struggling to understand it. It has been ongoing now for soem weeks and I am interested to see if others have noticed it and what explanation they have for it. Perhaps it is partly his own fault. The fact he constantly slips over may be one reason for it. But seriously, we chose to go to options that were in worse spots that Jack. He runs full legnth of the ground sometimes and is ignored each time in favour of shorter/lower percentage options.

The one time someone decided to 'go to' him last night, he took a strong grab on the lead outside fifty in the pocket near the 'red seats'. It was a strong mark and an equally strong lead. So why do we not trust him mre often. There has to be something more to it all.

Anyone that thinks Jack doesnt notice it, look at is body language. He knos he is ignored and he gets rather pizzed off. Eg. Last night, think it was Dunn, maked outside or on 50. Jack streaming alone into goals, no one near him, ignored. Screams, throws head back and clenches fists in anger. There is an issue here. I would like to know what it is!

Thoughts

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have kept my mouth shut about this for several weeks now, but last night confirmed once again that several of our players seemingly ignore or are reluctant to pass the footy to one J. Watts. Over and over again, Watts finds himself alone on a flank, inside fifty, in the corridor and despite jumping up and down and waiving his arms crazily, he continually gets the cold shoulder from a large majority of MFC players.....WHY?

Do they not have confidence in him? Do they genuinely not notice him? Has there been a directive from the coaching staff to make him earn his own footy?

I really am struggling to understand it. It has been ongoing now for soem weeks and I am interested to see if others have noticed it and what explanation they have for it. Perhaps it is partly his own fault. The fact he constantly slips over may be one reason for it. But seriously, we chose to go to options that were in worse spots that Jack. He runs full legnth of the ground sometimes and is ignored each time in favour of shorter/lower percentage options.

The one time someone decided to 'go to' him last night, he took a strong grab on the lead outside fifty in the pocket near the 'red seats'. It was a strong mark and an equally strong lead. So why do we not trust him mre often. There has to be something more to it all.

Anyone that thinks Jack doesnt notice it, look at is body language. He knos he is ignored and he gets rather pizzed off. Eg. Last night, think it was Dunn, maked outside or on 50. Jack streaming alone into goals, no one near him, ignored. Screams, throws head back and clenches fists in anger. There is an issue here. I would like to know what it is!

Thoughts

The first time it happened last night Junior didn't see him. Shame, as he was on going to Punt Rd end.

The 2nd time Dunn backed himself to kick the goal, which he did, so no qualms. Watts was going to be on a worse angle than Dunn anyway.

No big issue I don't think. He will impose himself more in time, and he will get looked for more in time. He is good at finding space but he also calls for the ball constantly even when he is not in a great position. I'm sure he'll work on it over pre-season.

You're not alone in noticing this. I have no idea why it would be so except perhaps that his teammates have poor vision or have not yet learned how he positions himself and so don't know where they should be looking. However, when you have a forward leading right down the middle there's really no excuse not to give him the ball.

Guest Yeats_08

Interesting to note that at least 2 posters suggest Jack runs to the wrong spots. Because all i see is him working off his man at half back/wing, running the flanks and tracking the ball. If the players carrying the ball raised the eyes and looked beyond the packs, they would easily spot Jack, alone 'over the top'. I think there needs to be more instruction from the cooaching staff in relation to this. Just because Jack doesnt lead to the obvious spots like B-Baa-Ba-Bate, does not mean he is in the wrong spot. In fact, Jack is smarter than the average bear, and knows how to lose his man and allows his man to be sucked into the contest while he runs hard and drifts out on his own. I guess i just see things differently to some.

I agree with comments Re Dunn kicking the goal. NO probs with that. As i said to my mate when he went back "He has to kick it now". And he did.

There are plenty more examples though. I was using the Dunne one to demonstrate the body language of Watts. He gets frustrated without doubt.

I noticed the same last night but I think on some occasions he is in position to early. It may be the kicker isn't quite raedy to deliver or in a couple of instances didn't have the confidence in their ability to hit him. A preseason and the timing clicks for both Watts and the team he will be good.

Agree with earlier posters that this is more to do with positioning correctly than with a lack of confidence from his team mates. We play a hard, fast running game that relies on players first instincts more often, therefore they're likely to make quick decisions based on an initial view. If Watt's is not in that initial view of the ball carrier he's diminishing his chances of getting the ball.

Whilst it's great that he's starting to find space in the forward, he now needs to tune this craft and work it so the ball carrier can see him. Otherwise he's destinied to be ignored for a bit longer.It is good to see him get some confidence of leading to the ball, he will be a gun, no doubting it.

I also agree about his ability to track the ball well down the ground, this is a good sign that say he has the ability to work into the game, however to be a real dangerous forward he needs to his work in and around the F50.

Agree with earlier posters that this is more to do with positioning correctly than with a lack of confidence from his team mates. We play a hard, fast running game that relies on players first instincts more often, therefore they're likely to make quick decisions based on an initial view. If Watt's is not in that initial view of the ball carrier he's diminishing his chances of getting the ball.

Whilst it's great that he's starting to find space in the forward, he now needs to tune this craft and work it so the ball carrier can see him. Otherwise he's destinied to be ignored for a bit longer.It is good to see him get some confidence of leading to the ball, he will be a gun, no doubting it.

I also agree about his ability to track the ball well down the ground, this is a good sign that say he has the ability to work into the game, however to be a real dangerous forward he needs to his work in and around the F50.

So he should always lead to directly in front of the ball carrier so they can see him? Sure, it might take him into the area where the defence is gathering because they too will try to cut off the easy ball directly in his line of sight, but I'm sure he can beat two or three opponents to the ball.

Perhaps it was a mistake to get rid of TJ. While Grimes is a great player, Trav was always able to spot the option everyone else had missed. If he'd been passing into the 50, Watts might have kicked a bag by now. No? Well maybe then the guys who are passing to our forwards need to be able to see more than the space directly in front of their faces. If a forward is consistently running to the spaces and ditching his opponent, it is criminal to keep sending passes into the congested areas where the defence is gathered in greater numbers. Watts should keep doing exactly what he's doing and hopefully the rest of the team can catch up.

Thoughts

Good post agree.

Runs to the wrong places, does himself no favours by waiving his arms around after being ignored either.

Disagree entirely. I have seen him alone at CHF 30-40 metres out several times and is then ignored. That is great considering he is one of the best kicks in the side. Then we see a long bomb to Aussie or someone else with 2 players to beat. I can't understand why it is happening.

As for waiving his arms around after being ignored, I haven't seen that and even if it did happen what has it got to do with ignoring the best option seconds earlier?

As Bailey says, the aim is to get games into the (young) players. Watts and plenty of others (Jurrah for example ....) haven't even played 20 games, yet alone 20 games together.

For me, I just don't see a problem that won't sort itself out in time.

One other thing, when you have a freak at full forward you sometimes kick to him regardless, it may go through the players minds Watts on a good lead or Jurrah. Add in Green as well he is one of the best leading forwards in the game

Disagree entirely. I have seen him alone at CHF 30-40 metres out several times and is then ignored. That is great considering he is one of the best kicks in the side. Then we see a long bomb to Aussie or someone else with 2 players to beat. I can't understand why it is happening.

As for waiving his arms around after being ignored, I haven't seen that and even if it did happen what has it got to do with ignoring the best option seconds earlier?

As he gets older and becomes more assertive, we will go to him more and more.

I do see what you're saying, but I think it happens in games to many players, but he makes it more obvious the way he jumps around.

Not necessarily a bad thing.

Yes, I have noticed it too. It may be a result of a few turnovers Jack has created when slipping or fumbling with implied pressure! But, the sooner the players realize that Jack is a great finisher when he actually has the ball in his hands the better (on the scoreboard!)

...one J. Watts...

AAARRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate, hate, hate that term. What, are we all under the false assumption that there are two of someone and have to be told how many copies of that individual exist, or what? Seriously, can someone tell me or is it just one of those ridiculous footy things that creep into the general usage of everyone connected in any way to the game.

PLEASE SOMEONE RESPOND!!! I HAVE TO KNOW!!!

Yes, I have noticed it too. It may be a result of a few turnovers Jack has created when slipping or fumbling with implied pressure! But, the sooner the players realize that Jack is a great finisher when he actually has the ball in his hands the better (on the scoreboard!)

I think it has absolutely nothing to do with that.

Otherwise the ball would never be passed to Bartram.

I think it is just a case of him not being seen.

He's not quite a big unit that stands out just yet.

Only a matter of time...

AAARRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate, hate, hate that term. What, are we all under the false assumption that there are two of someone and have to be told how many copies of that individual exist, or what? Seriously, can someone tell me or is it just one of those ridiculous footy things that creep into the general usage of everyone connected in any way to the game.

PLEASE SOMEONE RESPOND!!! I HAVE TO KNOW!!!

It's a figure of speech.

Not brain science.

Thoughts

I am one of the doubting Thomas's on the subject of our Jack.

I have kept my mouth shut for the last 4 weeks, yesterday I went to the game with the main purpose of watching jack.

I went with as open a mind as I could manage.

I noticed this same thing ( have made comment on a seperate thread ). It did not happen once or twice but on numerous occasions.

It is obvious to me that a number of his team mates ignore him. I do not follow the theory that he was in a poor position.

A couple of times this may have been the case however there were plenty of other occasions that in my views he was ignored.

I have said in the past giving him games when he clearly does not deserve them will cause problems.

It may be happening now!

Have some of his team mates tired of poor results from Jack?

They probably want to win games and think on past performances he will not produce the desired result.

He is not getting many possesions and part of that may be that he is being ignored.

Yesterday I went wanting him to succeed and prove I am a dill.

Not a dill yet!

Edited by old dee

Are you saying he hasn't deserved the games he has been given?

Do you think he didn't deserve to play yesterday?

Do you really entertain the thought that his teammates are purposely ignoring him on the field..?

I think yesterday's game didn't prove you a dill, but that post may have.

Good post agree.

No...not a good post- just another ( albeit subtle) anti-Watts post.

So they don't always see him ... or as a kid he's not always in the right spot... or he is acting as a decoy...?

Leave the kid alone - just let him play without his own supporters looking for a problem every time he scratches himself

We really should ban any more Watts'threads!

Are you saying he hasn't deserved the games he has been given?

Do you think he didn't deserve to play yesterday?

Do you really entertain the thought that his teammates are purposely ignoring him on the field..?

I think yesterday's game didn't prove you a dill, but that post may have.

Correct, he has not earned his spot for the last 4 - 5 weeks.

The Hawthorn game he was poor! tell me four things he did well that day?

Against port the only person who had less possesions was Bennel!

How else do you account for the fact that he is constantly ignored?

No...not a good post- just another ( albeit subtle) anti-Watts post.

So they don't always see him ... or as a kid he's not always in the right spot... or he is acting as a decoy...?

Leave the kid alone - just let him play without his own supporters looking for a problem every time he scratches himself

We really should ban any more Watts'threads!

Hoopla why is it Taboo to discuss Jack Watts?

Is he the only player that is beyond comment?

Why is that?

Correct, he has not earned his spot for the last 4 - 5 weeks

How else do you account for the fact that he is constantly ignored?

He took 8 marks yesterday. How many would he have taken if his teammates hadn't constantly ignored him ?

Give the kid a break!!

Edited by hoopla

We are promoting a team that relies on serious amounts of confidence...

It's a tough balance between confidence and "to much" confidence.

Either way it's not Watts's fault, and it's not that the team doesn't trust him, it's just sometimes players are a bit selfish.... but it's ok because every great player must be a little bit selfish at times.

When Frawley took that running shot from outside 50 when Watts was screaming in a better position it was selfish.

When Dunn didn't even think about passing it to Watts it was selfish (he is lucky he kicked the goal or I would hope he would get dragged).