Michael Rischitelli

todd

People always get confused with articles and rumours because they hear the word 'Melbourne' and think Demons when it really means a Victorian team.

From the sounds of that article he is not very happy with Brisbane after last year shopping him around... so he is chance to nominate for the draft with a price on his head just to spite his old club. Could be good for us.

Edited by big tuna

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll wait for the rumour to get some legs before giving it much thought, but the idea that we shouldn't chase him because "our midfied is stacked" or because "we need a KPF" is silly. Rischitelli is 24, and would be able to take over the role of several players in our side right now, and do it better. This might all sound glib and simplistic, but that's because it's a cut-and-dry situation: you don't bypass a player who will make your team significantly better just because he's not structurally vital. We'll only chase a KPF at his expense if one emerges who is of similar quality.

As a sidenote, I'd hate to be a Brisbane supporter. I can understand why Voss felt the need to take a leap of faith, and strike while Black/Power/Brown were still around, but it looks like backfiring terribly. With the older guys a year closer to retirement, theres been a mass exodus of early draft picks and fancied younger prospects, with Rischitelli the latest casualty. And with the next two drafts dominated by the expansion clubs, there's no relief in sight. It's even more depressing (for them) when you consider in hindsight, they could have had a young brigade of Jack Grimes, Lewis Jetta, Lachlan Henderson and Michael Rischitelli coming through alongside Daniel Rich. They'd even be a better short-term prospect if they'd taken the long-term approach.

People always get confused with articles and rumours because they hear the word 'Melbourne' and think Demons when it really means a Victorian team.

From the sounds of that article he is not very happy with Brisbane after last year shopping him around... so he is chance to nominate for the draft with a price on his head just to spite his old club. Could be good for us.

Yeah, Vossy's inexperience has cased a bit of damage to that club & it's culture.

I'll wait for the rumour to get some legs before giving it much thought, but the idea that we shouldn't chase him because "our midfied is stacked" or because "we need a KPF" is silly. Rischitelli is 24, and would be able to take over the role of several players in our side right now, and do it better. This might all sound glib and simplistic, but that's because it's a cut-and-dry situation: you don't bypass a player who will make your team significantly better just because he's not structurally vital. We'll only chase a KPF at his expense if one emerges who is of similar quality.

As a sidenote, I'd hate to be a Brisbane supporter. I can understand why Voss felt the need to take a leap of faith, and strike while Black/Power/Brown were still around, but it looks like backfiring terribly. With the older guys a year closer to retirement, theres been a mass exodus of early draft picks and fancied younger prospects, with Rischitelli the latest casualty. And with the next two drafts dominated by the expansion clubs, there's no relief in sight. It's even more depressing (for them) when you consider in hindsight, they could have had a young brigade of Jack Grimes, Lewis Jetta, Lachlan Henderson and Michael Rischitelli coming through alongside Daniel Rich. They'd even be a better short-term prospect if they'd taken the long-term approach.

Great isn't it, i shall enjoy watching the lions self destruct. I remember there then President laughing at the Press Conference when they "Took Over" the Fitzroy lions. They have treated Fitzroy supporters with contempt most of the time, if you speak to any of the old supporters. The Paddle Pop Logo speaks Volumes doesn't it!!!

And yes they did win 3 in a row (almost 4) so i have no sympathy for the supporters, if they get Melancholy they have plenty of DVD's to watch!!!

Let us aim for 4 in a row to spite them.... B)

Edited by why you little

He is a very good player but what would we have to give to land him. I am thinking that unless he designates us as the only team he wants to go to we will have to pay over the top.

He should win their B&F so will command at least a highish first round pick.

A handy pick up for us, question mark on the trade/cash price.

Keeping cash expectations down is my main driving reason for avoiding trades in, in general. You can't expect your whole list to be taking 20-30% less than 'market' if you then buy in a player at market or above.

Would be an amazing super brilliant hoopla hoopy-doo woopitee pick up for Essendon.

I mean, it would be a flat doubling of their stock of A-grade midfielders. And they sure as #@%$ wouldn't have any salary cap issues out that way.

The only way Essendon are going to climb out of their hole is to have faith in their tall stocks and pull out all the stops trying to build a respectable midfield - paying as much as they have to, in picks and dollars, for any A-grade midfielders they can get.

Hell, getting Rischitelli might just give them some belief that they can bring the pieces together, and there may even be Essendon fans with some hope for next year.

One way or another, Essendon will be in hot pursuit of a ready-to-go AFL midfielder. They'll be dreaming of Andrew Gaff with their first pick, and then everything else they can offer will be put out there for a trade-in.

A handy pick up for us, question mark on the trade/cash price.

Keeping cash expectations down is my main driving reason for avoiding trades in, in general. You can't expect your whole list to be taking 20-30% less than 'market' if you then buy in a player at market or above.

Would be an amazing super brilliant hoopla hoopy-doo woopitee pick up for Essendon.

I mean, it would be a flat doubling of their stock of A-grade midfielders. And they sure as #@%$ wouldn't have any salary cap issues out that way.

The only way Essendon are going to climb out of their hole is to have faith in their tall stocks and pull out all the stops trying to build a respectable midfield - paying as much as they have to, in picks and dollars, for any A-grade midfielders they can get.

Hell, getting Rischitelli might just give them some belief that they can bring the pieces together, and there may even be Essendon fans with some hope for next year.

One way or another, Essendon will be in hot pursuit of a ready-to-go AFL midfielder. They'll be dreaming of Andrew Gaff with their first pick, and then everything else they can offer will be put out there for a trade-in.

Yeah I agree, I think Essendon would be in a better bargaining position and would be more desperate to secure his services. I honestly don't think its worth our while chasing him too hard given our current crop of mid-fielders but hey if he's keen to join Melbourne because he sees the better potential in our list then why not and some of ours may not develop as expected anyway.

Well if he looks good at Brisbane because they are no good, he'll look elite at Essendon.

They have a bunch of talented talls, but beyond that are a rabble with no midfield.

Rischitelli is a better player than he was a few years ago.

Fancy that, a player getting better as time goes on...

Good thread, i thought about the chance of getting him other night when it was mentioned on footy classified he wanted out of Brisbane. I reckon he would be a terrific addition. The dees are trying to build a core of 10 -12 players capable of (and fit enough) playing in the mid field - run, carry, spread, rotate and run some more is what Bailey is developing with his game plan. Rischitelli fits that plan perfectly, is the right age and i reckon with juniour going we will need some experience.

Also i reckon we are in a great position to to get him. We can afford him (aren't we only paying 92% of our salary cap at the moment?)particularly with junior going as he must of been on good wage. Also the dees will be alot more attractive than Essendon and GC in terms of chances of playing in a premiership in the next 3-4 years, his peak period. And Essendon? Jeez he wants out of a club that's currently in a bot of tur,oil, he's not gonna be too keen on a club of the brink of meltdown. I'd love to see the dees be an agressive player in the trade period, though only for players around this age. We were keen on Ball, missed him. Lets get Rischitelli

Question Time.

Rischitelli is a midfielder (albeit a classy one).

Classiness aside, should we be going for a midfielder or a strong-bodied forward (ala Dawes, Leigh Brown)? Rembering that Rischitelli would be taking the spot of a Gysberts potentially...

Point is, our midfield has a lot of younger talent than Michael that we'll be blooding. Blease, Gys, Scully, Trengove, McKenzie... and then there's Jones, Moloney and Davey!

Give me a tall solidly built forward to crash a pack any day.

One thing I've always thought with the coming of the two new soulless clubs over the next two years is that there will be a lot of trade opportunities thrown up. As the article says its not just out of contract players up for trade but through all the low draft picks GC will be willing to swap for experience and the money they can throw at players and managers the flow on effect will be that the inside footy world will know of a whole list of players GC may not get over the line but are still willing to move for the right deal. Throw West Sydney into the mix and it's going to be a massive free for all I reckon'.

From my perspective I hope we and the players stick together coz I think one or two clubs might get torn apart.

Rischitelli is a good footballer. Given the draft concessions expect a player of his caliber to be overpaid. Essendon will give up its first rounder and give him a good 600k+ per year. Given that we have some kids who are still untried on our team, it would be unwise to overpay Rischitelli.

Don't get me wrong, if Rischitelli came out and names the dees as his top destination I would maybe entertain the idea. But if a guy is chasing $$$ I think he will find them at and Essendon/Kangas and perhaps even the Tigers.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/blues-and-bombers-enter-race-for-unhappy-brennan-20100824-13qee.html

Brennan may finish up with the Bombers, maybe they will get one and the GC will get the other.

Would not be happy if we got Brennan he is a flake and too inconsistent for mine.

Agree with the article. The Suns are in the best position to get both, one as an uncontracted player and the other with a better draft pick than anyone else can offer.

Carlton are also interested in Brennan and have apparently offered Brock and Johnson,( only joking ). They could however offer some players like Setanta, Hampson, Thornton etc combined with a draft pick.

This will be an interesting trade period.

Edited by Redleg

Wasn't he part of the proposed Fevola deal but gazumped it because he didn't want to move to Melbourne?

Also, bit early for the silly season isn't it?

I believe it was Bradshaw who stopped that deal going ahead wasn't it?

You all do realize we can't get everyone !! and that now other teams are better placed to get front position on talent. We don't have a lott to trade; doubt we'll do much this year 'cept a couple of projects in the draft. Rischetelli a good chance to suns IMO

You all do realize we can't get everyone !! and that now other teams are better placed to get front position on talent. We don't have a lott to trade; doubt we'll do much this year 'cept a couple of projects in the draft. Rischetelli a good chance to suns IMO

Right on the money.

The Dees already have their "nucleus" from which to build and won't be participating in much (if any!!) trading.

Perhaps a couple of years down the track (when we're really up and about) will see us look to trade for a "decent player" - hence the front-loaded pay we offer our players presently.

Wasn't he part of the proposed Fevola deal but gazumped it because he didn't want to move to Melbourne?

Also, bit early for the silly season isn't it?

I think you're right, it was actually both that weren't too keen and both that were put out by the fact Voss was so eager to trade them for a molotov cocktail.

A bit early, but from all reports Brennan would be stupid to ignore the money on offer from the Suns and Rischi has said he won't even look at a new contract with the Lions (through Olarenshaw).

I say they are both gone.

People are so caught up on the fact we need a tall forward. We score well once the ball is in there. I am more concerned with the fact that we are still poor at the stoppages and struggle to get the ball inside 50 enough. Rischitelli is well worth sounding out. He is a class act.

Brennan though...well the less said the better.

I'd say with Rischitelli... his heart is set on staying in QLD I'd say - he already lives on the GC with his missus who is from there.

If both Rischi and Brennan want to join the suns, Brennan in my opinion, would be the one signed as an uncontracted player, because he would cost more in a trade.

What if the Lions then decide what the Suns offer is too little and to spite Rischi, refuse to trade and force him to enter the draft?

He'd be stuck, not having a chance to go where he wants, and what's more, he could end up back at Brisbane or being drafted by the Weagles.

Of course, I did see an article in the paper today saying that it is a fallacy that a second player from the same team cannot be drafted by GC17 and they have all the early PSD picks, to my knowledge.

Either way, this could all get very messy.

Rischitelli is a good footballer. Given the draft concessions expect a player of his caliber to be overpaid. Essendon will give up its first rounder and give him a good 600k+ per year.

I doubt very much Essendon would give up pick 8 for Rischitelli.

I wouldn't be a happy camper if we did.

If the guy is virtually walking out on Brisbane, they may have to settle for a second round pick.

I doubt very much Essendon would give up pick 8 for Rischitelli.

I wouldn't be a happy camper if we did.

If the guy is virtually walking out on Brisbane, they may have to settle for a second round pick.

I imagine it'll become a bidding war between the Suns and whoever else really wants him (Essendon).

Highest bidder wins.

I think what KS was alluding to was that if no one offers what the Lions see as acceptable, they may go the Port Adelaide or St Kilda route of putting Rischitelli in a position where he might not go where he wants to, even if they get nothing for him. The "send a message" tactic.

Suns got picks to burn..... a non contest