2010 All-Australian Team

Eth

It's a bit more interesting this year, because for the first time in a while we've had a few players in the running for the team. Brad Green's kicked 44 goals as a forward/midfielder and I've got him locked up at half-forward, plus Mark Jamar who has been the second-best ruckman this year and James Frawley, an outside chance of possibly sneaking in to a back pocket. So here's my team:

B: Malceski, Lake, Frawley

HB: Gilbert, Taylor, Enright

C: Goddard, Ablett, Hodge

HF: Didak, Pavlich, Green

F: LeCras, J. Riewoldt, Hall

R: Sandilands, Swan, Boyd

INT: Jamar, Montagna, Chapman, Selwood

What do you guys think?

Edited by eth38

You listed Boyd twice, he has been good, but not that good ;)

Whoops.

Okay, first name I though of was Joel Selwood

Edited by eth38

have jst met him a few times....and is jst so full of himself - a lot more than the average footballer

have jst met him a few times....and is jst so full of himself - a lot more than the average footballer

I get that vibe, too. He does some pretty good charity work and is always good for an enlightened quote, but sometimes that comes off as a little pretentious.

I know we all love our Dees so much... but I don't think Green will make the team despite having his best year at the MFC to date!

Jamar and Frawley... yes. Certainties. But then again... this is the wits on the AFL panel deciding who gets selected and it's likely that many average players in outstanding teams will get in.

The selection panel will be lynched by an angry mob of Essendon supporters if Fletcher gets pipped by Frawley I reckon... I would prefer Chip in the team.

Milne is still in from my calculations, It's easy to forget how good some players were at the start of the year.

Griffen would be ahead of Selwood, but if Selwood keeps going the way he has been, he might just push him out.

I don't think Frawley has the runs on the board to get across the line. Green should. Jamar should definitely get the 2nd ruck.

Astute footy heads elsewhere will know that Frawley is the main reason we're able to win games. WIthout him, the opposition would kick 2 more and we'd kick 2 less. That would mean we'd be on 3 more losses than we've had and we'd be looking at another wooden spoon.

Not sure that'd get him over the line though. People ARE precious about this, and Frawley will have a minimum of 3 jumpers in his career. Maybe more.

I think Stevie J has pipped Green for the forward spot. Frawley would be a very good chance although there have been some very good defenders this year. Jamar should get the second ruck spot if one is chosen, but traditionally they only take Sandilands and put an extra midfielder on the bench.

Along with Jamar, I rate Frawley as our most important player.

Green is great and valuable... but without Jamar we get no first use of the footy; and without Chip no one can "man-handle" the opposition's key forward (refer Carlton match).

It's a bit more interesting this year, because for the first time in a while we've had a few players in the running for the team. Brad Green's kicked 44 goals as a forward/midfielder and I've got him locked up at half-forward, plus Mark Jamar who has been the second-best ruckman this year and James Frawley, an outside chance of possibly sneaking in to a back pocket. So here's my team:

B: Malceski, Lake, Frawley

HB: Gilbert, Taylor, Enright

C: Goddard, Ablett, Hodge

HF: Didak, Pavlich, Green

F: LeCras, J. Riewoldt, Hall

R: Sandilands, Swan, Boyd

INT: Jamar, Montagna, Chapman, Selwood

What do you guys think?

Pretty good effort. Not so sure about Malceski, he has been good though. What about Jarrod Harbrow for the back pocket. Even Chris Newman has had an outstanding season. Gibbs has been pretty good - not outstanding though.

You have:

Only two from the Saints in Montagna and Gilbert.

Five from the Cats.

Two from the Pies.

Lenny Hayes would be pretty close. Toss up between Hayes and Boyd. Not sure Green has done enough to be honest, just yet in terms of AA selection; but I would say he is very close.

I reckon Jamar is a lock in for the bench (if they name a 2nd ruck), and Frawley should be strongly considered.

Gilbert has had an average season. Not AA worthy.

I think Gilbert has been good. He's in the mix.

The selection panel will be lynched by an angry mob of Essendon supporters if Fletcher gets pipped by Frawley I reckon... I would prefer Chip in the team.

Fletcher, no, not for mine this season. Frawley's competition may come from the likes of O'Brien, Gilbert, Fisher.

Quite a few positions would still be up for grabs with 4 rounds remaining.

Frawly and Jamar are big chances. Green has had a fantastic year for us but only gets the recognition he deserves from within and is equally as important as anyone on our list IMO!

Whilst I would love for Green to make the AA team I feel that he will need to kick a bag of 7 or more to make the team....

From an MFC point of view and his career his season has been brilliant but from a entire AFL point of view it has been very very very good, bordering on brilliant. Needs to finish the season really strong.

MFC will battle to get one player in the AA at year end.

If we do it will be out of Frawley, Green, Jamar.

Frawley is up against Taylor (Geelong), O'Brien (Collingwood) and may struggle. Gilbert and Fisher are in the mix but have not had as good years as past and St Kilda's decline this year can be partly put down to the fact that oppositions have done their homework on the two players.

Jamar might be up for a bench role but he will face pressure from Jolly, Mumford

Green might get the nod if he gets over 50 goals this year.

LeCras would have to be almost a certainty this season for the forward pocket. He was stiff last year, he had more goals than Leon Davis; yet Davis got the nod. Granted, they both had good seasons in 2009, arguably Davis' best season to date.

LeCras would have to be almost a certainty this season for the forward pocket. He was stiff last year, he had more goals than Leon Davis; yet Davis got the nod. Granted, they both had good seasons in 2009, arguably Davis' best season to date.

Agree.

I cringe Davis got the nod in front of him. Davis is a big game ghost and a down hill skier. As in past years, Davis did go missing once September arrived in 2009.

My effort in retort

B - B.Deledio B.Lake H.O'Brien

HB - L.Hodge H.Taylor C.Newman

C - B.Goddard J.Selwood A.Goodes

HF - P.Chapman M.Pavlich B.Green

F - J.Riewoldt B.Hall M.LeCras

Foll - A.Sandilands D.Swann G.Ablett

Int - M.Jamar L.Hayes A.Didak M.Boyd

Notables

Defenders:

J.Frawley

L.Gilbee