• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

30 Games Plus 3 Players Away Form Being Awesome.

Guest hangon007

Guest hangon007

Cant help but get the feeling we are 30 games plus 3 players away from being awesome.

Best thing about it IMHO we dont need to be drafting or trading for "champions."

Dont think we need to draft away our future to get what we need.

Said it elsewhere but feel we need

1/ Chop out Ruckman

2/ Middle of the range forward ... possibly only short-term here.

3/ Clearance type mid-fielder who can assist our present crop of young kids.

Patience is a virtue ... I've waited this long .. I'm happy to wait some more.

Go Dees!

Edited by hangon007

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Half a season of form does not a ruckman make - I dont think we can count on Jamar for ever more (injuries or form can upset plans here). Spencer, PJ and Meesen either have injuries or questions about their suitability. Gawn is some years off. Martin is an experiment and maybe Fitzpatrick is more tall utility than ruck. In all we might need more ruck depth than just a pinch hitter for Jamar.

I agree things look good thoughout the rest of the list.

I'm not too fussed with the ruck situation. We have one of the leagues 3 or 4 best ruckmen doing a fantastic job at the moment. We have Spencer, Martin and Gawn developing. Just because we don't have someone ready now doesn't mean one of those three won't make it in 1, 2 or 3 years time. And even if we don't, probably the least important position in a premiership 22 is second ruck.

We're getting enough of the ball at the moment to win games, we just need to develop a forward line and work on getting a midfield that will dominate in the coming years. Once our midfield is dominating like Geelong's, St Kilda's, the Dogs' and Carlton's do, you won't hear a peep about having a second ruckman.

The last thing we need is a clearance-expert midfielder. We have Jones, Moloney and Junior currently (not the best at clearance disposal, but they get it out of there). In the pipes we have Scully, Trengove, McKenzie, Gysberts, Grimes, possibly Tapscott as well. That area of the list is the strongest.

What we do need is some precise kicking around the ground. Davey is one; Morton, Strauss, Tapscott and others are in works in progress. Hence, development needed.

Half a season of form does not a ruckman make - I dont think we can count on Jamar for ever more (injuries or form can upset plans here). Spencer, PJ and Meesen either have injuries or questions about their suitability. Gawn is some years off. Martin is an experiment and maybe Fitzpatrick is more tall utility than ruck. In all we might need more ruck depth than just a pinch hitter for Jamar.

We could have gone the Seaby route, but there are no guarantees & he's now injured for the season in Sydney.

We have PJ, maybe he can reignite...

Meeson, I fear is finished.

Spencer & Gawn are talents to develop.

Fitzpatrick could be anything, Maybe a complete DUD,,,, or, he could turn himself into an Ottens. IF HE WORKS at it.

Interesting choice had to be made, trade for Seaby/Mumford or aim to draft Gawn/Fitzpatrick.

In the end we got both Gawn and Fitz. Our long term ruck stocks look alright. But yes, right now we are very heavily reliant on Jamar, and he has given everything he has and done well for us.

Unfortunately, the 'current second tier' of rucks look like where we'll be opening up spots on our list in the coming draft...

Other thing we need to find/develop/see emerge is a small defender/tagger capable of shutting out and pissing off players like Brent Harvey, Milne, Ballantyne, Davey and so on.

That guy that every supporter of every other team just thinks is a [censored]. That's the main thing we need on our list.

Interesting choice had to be made, trade for Seaby/Mumford or aim to draft Gawn/Fitzpatrick.

In the end we got both Gawn and Fitz. Our long term ruck stocks look alright. But yes, right now we are very heavily reliant on Jamar, and he has given everything he has and done well for us.

Unfortunately, the 'current second tier' of rucks look like where we'll be opening up spots on our list in the coming draft...

Other thing we need to find/develop/see emerge is a small defender/tagger capable of shutting out and pissing off players like Brent Harvey, Milne, Ballantyne, Davey and so on.

That guy that every supporter of every other team just thinks is a [censored]. That's the main thing we need on our list.

Very happy with what we did, but now we must either stay with PJ, or give him a fresh chance & pick another for depth.

We have 4 young ruckmen (one admittedly we intend to use up

forward) to develop and in the meantime Jamar is one of the most capable ruckmen in the league.

I'd say our ruck division is looking fine.

Much better than a team like Hawthorn.

Guest DeesPower

I wouldn't dismiss Gawn so readily. This time next year I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him playing in the firsts. A huge mobile, skilled ruckman has a potential x-factor, and intime maydevelop into one of our most dominant players. All the more reAson for him to play under Jamar to pick upth

....but now we must either stay with PJ, or give him a fresh chance & pick another for depth.

You serious....Barring injury to other options, PJ's cards are marked. Cant ruck. Cant play forward.No physical presence. He has had 5 years at this Club. He has had his chance. Both PJ and Meesen were worthy experiment to fill a void but they have turned out FAIL.

And if we pick another (rookie) I would hope that candidate is better than both PJ and Meesen put together.

You serious....Barring injury to other options, PJ's cards are marked. Cant ruck. Cant play forward.No physical presence. He has had 5 years at this Club. He has had his chance. Both PJ and Meesen were worthy experiment to fill a void but they have turned out FAIL.

And if we pick another (rookie) I would hope that candidate is better than both PJ and Meesen put together.

Yeah, my reasoning is that we have Jamar going 27, & Spencer nearly there @ what, 20ish, & Martin just out of sorts ATM, both probably 1&1/2 yrs off good footy. Then Gawn & Fitzy, both at least, 3 years off regular senior games.

So, by my reckoning we have a window to shut Now, of 2Yrs. We need a short term back up to ruck & tall forward, (see Martin). Jamie Charman is 27 & may be needing a home, he's not physically a young man, so in a way that might just suit us, a temp we could get on the cheap, helps him & us.

Or we stay with PJ to try fill those roles. I'd rather trade PJ to the Hawks for a Dowler, break even deal & PJ may be able to create a new career there.

But I think you can see what I'm on about.

Awesome is a mark of varying interpretations. I don't think we can win the flag in 2012 (which is the thirty games) but I do think we can push the top 4 for most of the year.

The issue lies with our talent - they will still be inexperienced. Aside from Morton - our best players: Watts, Jurrah, Petterd, Jetta, Bennell, Wonaeamirri, Scully, Trengove, McKenzie, Gysberts, Blease, and Tapscott, will have played less than 50 games, and in most cases, far less than 50 games.

When you expect too much too soon, you make rash decisions when you don't reach the unrealistic goals you have set.

We all thought Thompson should have gone, they kept the faith. Faith!

And the rest is history, and future history.

Keep, Jamar,Currently 2nd best ruckmen in AFL, dont take that lightly. Spencer,One more pre season and his body will cope with AFl,the penny will drop looks ok still a kid. Gawn and Fitzy, ultra young need time. Get rid of two of PJ ok player in a poor side but no good in a side going forward. Meesen, Injury cost him last year as he looked ok, would need to get back this year and show something or else it could be the door. Martin, like the lad a lot however doesnt have a football brain, gotta go.

Guest hangon007

29 games to go ... Well done today boys.

You just have to learn to play thru that Collingwood Zone ... dont give them time. Hit them hard and fast ... slow "football" is dumb football against that type of set up.

1. A viable back up ruck option.

2. We need a bit of luck with our goal kicking forwards. Watts to come on quickly in 2011, Jurrah, Bate, Petterd fit and firing.

3. The midfield to fulfill its potential. Need Moloney, Davey, Jones to be consistent so the young guys can blossom. Morton showed his worth off a wing today (not great as loose man back).

4. Bruce and Rivers could be superseded down back. Obviously happy with Grimes, Frawley, Garland. Warnock and Bartram do their job week in week out. Maybe a Strauss/Bennell/McNamara/Macdonald or Cheney to either take a small or midsized position.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hangon007

28 games to go ... Adelaide beautifully exploit our weaknesses ... not sure if thats a good thing or a bad.

We still struggle to break thru an oppositions teams zone ... too slow to bring the ball in from kick ins.

Anyway all is not lost - Go Dees!!!

just as an indicator of how few games some of our lads really have had :

Bail, Rohan - 4

Bartram, Clint - 71

Bate Matthew - 79

Bennell, Jamie - 27

Blease, Sam - 0

Cheney, Kyle - 12

Fitzpatrick, Jack - 0

Frawley, James - 52

Garland, Colin -31

Gawn, Max - 0

Grimes, Jack - 25

Gysberts, Jordan - 3

Jetta, Neville - 20

Jurrah, Liam - 9

Maric, Addam - 11

Martin, Stefan - 29

McNamara, Tom - 3

Morton, Cale - 45

Petterd, Ricky - 35

Scully, Tom - 12

Strauss, James - 0

Tapscott, Luke - 0

Trengove, Jack - 12

Watts, Jack - 9

Wonaeamirri, Austin - 20

with a few exceptions theres not a lot of miles in those legs ( collectively )

as the OP suggests..add 30 to all of that and a very different team will be presenting

but id modify it a bit and suggest... make it about 32 games and two pre-seasons...and watch what comes out in 2012

54 games and 3 pre-seasons and we ought to be nigh on dangerous :)

just as an indicator of how few games some of our lads really have had :

Bail, Rohan - 4

Bartram, Clint - 71

Bate Matthew - 79

Bennell, Jamie - 27

Blease, Sam - 0

Cheney, Kyle - 12

Fitzpatrick, Jack - 0

Frawley, James - 52

Garland, Colin -31

Gawn, Max - 0

Grimes, Jack - 25

Gysberts, Jordan - 3

Jetta, Neville - 20

Jurrah, Liam - 9

Maric, Addam - 11

Martin, Stefan - 29

McNamara, Tom - 3

Morton, Cale - 45

Petterd, Ricky - 35

Scully, Tom - 12

Strauss, James - 0

Tapscott, Luke - 0

Trengove, Jack - 12

Watts, Jack - 9

Wonaeamirri, Austin - 20

with a few exceptions theres not a lot of miles in those legs ( collectively )

as the OP suggests..add 30 to all of that and a very different team will be presenting

but id modify it a bit and suggest... make it about 32 games and two pre-seasons...and watch what comes out in 2012

54 games and 3 pre-seasons and we ought to be nigh on dangerous :)

My God can you have mercy on an old guy, I have been waiting since 64. Not sure I will make it on that scale.

Can you please leave a copy of the herald sun on my grave when we finally win another flag.

My God can you have mercy on an old guy, I have been waiting since 64. Not sure I will make it on that scale.

Can you please leave a copy of the herald sun on my grave when we finally win another flag.

I like it! I'm so old I was at the '64 GF. You'd better order 2 copies. GASP!

(By the way, we are a LONG way off being a genuinely good side. We have a number of players who arguably are not good enough to play in a good to very good side: Warnock, Bartram, Rivers, Miller, Dunn, ...)

Please bring in: Gysberts, Cheney, Junior

I like it! I'm so old I was at the '64 GF. You'd better order 2 copies. GASP!

(By the way, we are a LONG way off being a genuinely good side. We have a number of players who arguably are not good enough to play in a good to very good side: Warnock, Bartram, Rivers, Miller, Dunn, ...)

Please bring in: Gysberts, Cheney, Junior

I was there as well in '64 - where were you sitting ?

I was in the front row of the MCC members - as a full junior member.

Got there at sparrow's fart of course - what a day.

Wasn't a paid up MFC member back then, but have been for a lot of the rest, since.

I look forward to a repeat of that event, in a couple of year's time.

This team has the nucleus to get us there !

Only difference, is I will be the "old guy" who was sitting next to me that day and [censored] his pants, when Gabalich made the run to put the Maggies in front and then Froggy Crompton came storming out of the back line to kick the winning goal - Nothing like winning a flag and this group (in spite of yesterday) is starting to know that too !

Edited by BangkokDemon

I think we have to remember that it took Jamar many years to become what he is today. Don't forget that for many years, people were saying he didn't have what it takes. We are always being told big players take time to develop. So we shouldn't write off Spencer, Gawn, PJ and Fitzpatrick

loving the reminiscing there guys, us young folk can only dream of such a day.

I can't speak for the others, but I'm posting about it, so you know what to expect.

It will happen.

And I can tell you it will be one of the "sweetest" days of your life !

Edited by BangkokDemon