Watts wrong with Whats?

DeeZee

I genuinely think I could have done more than Watts today. 3 touches in 120 minutes of football is pathetic whether you're young or old, experienced or inexperienced, wet or dry. Casey for the rest of the year, we don't want to showcase him on Queens birthday next week that's for sure.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Until he adds some strength to his frame and some confidence in that strength he's just not able to impact a contest against bigger bodied players. At the moment he looks tentative and seems to watch his opponent rather than just attacking the ball, not to mention lose his feet. As his body and confidence develop over the next 2 to 3 years I'd expect to see him hitting some contests pretty hard if for no other reason than just to let some average backmen know that he's now ready to play. I'm backing him to make it but it's no certainty, or is it? I no longer know.

I have to ask, why was it that every time the ball was kicked to him at half forward the camera moved across to find him flat on his face and his opponent taking an uncontested mark? Was he being fouled or is he just too easy to push off?

He was falling over, not reading the play properly. He really struggled. He has to be dropped. I don't mean that in a bad way as such, it's just all part of AFL footy.

Until he adds some strength to his frame and some confidence in that strength he's just not able to impact a contest against bigger bodied players. At the moment he looks tentative and seems to watch his opponent rather than just attacking the ball, not to mention lose his feet. As his body and confidence develop over the next 2 to 3 years I'd expect to see him hitting some contests pretty hard if for no other reason than just to let some average backmen know that he's now ready to play. I'm backing him to make it but it's no certainty, or is it? I no longer know.

I hear you but it doesnt take strength to get in front of your opponent and run hard at the bloke carrying the ball.

By doing this he is playing to his strengths, he should have a height and speed advantage over his opponent. By constantly giving his opponent front position.

No let him learn real hunger in the MFC backline.

With our forward line the way it is at present we will be lucky to win 2 more games, so lets make him attack the ball from the backline.

Who would he replace in the backline?

He should be treated like anyone else on the list, and be made to earn his spot. He played well against West Coast and Port without setting the world on fire, and has been poor in his last two games. On present form, he is not in our best 22. He'll be very lucky to get a game next week especially with Dunn kicking 8 in the wet.

Who would he replace in the backline?

He should be treated like anyone else on the list, and be made to earn his spot. He played well against West Coast and Port without setting the world on fire, and has been poor in his last two games. On present form, he is not in our best 22. He'll be very lucky to get a game next week especially with Dunn kicking 8 in the wet.

Who Jack would replace in the backline i am not sure to be honest, it's something i wished the club would have done all season.

He is not ready to play senior football in a key position-that may also mean VFL.

Maybe he should play a few games in the Backline for Casey-I really don't care, but he has to learn to attack the ball-run straight.

At the moment his confidence in himself is taking a battering. The sad reality is that Miller is no better.

Lynden Dunn 8 goals in the 2's hey, that's good. He must play next week.

No let him learn real hunger in the MFC backline.

With our forward line the way it is at present we will be lucky to win 2 more games, so lets make him attack the ball from the backline.

Why sacrifice our backline?

He can learn it at Casey. If he cant show it there he aint going to do it in the AFL. He was very ordinary today. Very ordinary.

Why sacrifice our backline?

He can learn it at Casey. If he cant show it there he aint going to do it in the AFL. He was very ordinary today. Very ordinary.

he was worse than ordinary actually.

Even more worse than that disgraceful WHITE strip we had to wear....It was a bad day!!!

Well he will be back at Casey next week for sure. It's where he belongs at the moment and the coaching staff are playing him ahead of better players for now.

Wouldn't be asking what is wrong with Watts, I'd be asking who the #$%% is our forward coach. Our forward line is by far the worst drilled in the league. Is a little hard to expect Watts to develop if we have nobody that knows how to develop key position forwards.

I am very hopeful for Jack's future, I think I am being realistic when I say he is years away from having a real impact.

He needs to grow into his body. He needs to grow up (speculative)

In the interim, I think he needs spells for Casey, for confidence and motivation, however who replaces him?

Oh and was he any worse than Miller today?

BTW, i think there may be a thread on this already!

He'll be very lucky to get a game next week especially with Dunn kicking 8 in the wet.

Very interesting on Dunn. Did he play a roaming half forward role or was he camped closer to goal? Given the wet I would hazard a guess of close to goal.

the last 2 weeks has shown absolutely nothing and had zero impact on the game

I agree and as well I have seen nothing that suggests he has what it takes. Saw him in two games at Casey last year and saw nothing that suggests No. 1 status.

I really hope I am wrong but I think we have a dud!!!!!!!!!!!!

God I hope in a year or two you are all calling me an idiot with no idea of picking talent

However I have watched a lot of football in my 60 years and I havea bad feeling in the pit of my gut about this young fella.

I would rather be plaining Hughes at present at least he gets to where the action is an up right position.

I agree totally. Why can't we wear a predominantly red strip for away games versus Carlton?

Exactly Carlton do no wear red. We are not Footscray.

On this point i agree with Eddiewood. We should always play in Red & Blue. They are the colours of the MFC.

White is the Shade of surrender. I was not happy today...!

I agree and as well I have seen nothing that suggests he has what it takes. Saw him in two games at Casey last year and saw nothing that suggests No. 1 status.

God I hope in a year or two you are all calling me an idiot with no idea of picking talent

However I have watched a lot of football in my 60 years and I havea bad feeling in the pit of my gut about this young fella.

I would rather be plaining Hughes at present at least he gets to where the action is an up right position.

For gods sake, look at his game DESPITE the lack of goals he kicks.

Today was a very bad day for him, but also in very bad conditions.

In dry weather, look how good he is below his knees. His clean hands are great, he reads the play incredibly well, and has a good kick.

He needs core strength, more games ( albeit in casey ) and ......time.

To suggest he is a dud is just stupid.

Very interesting on Dunn. Did he play a roaming half forward role or was he camped closer to goal? Given the wet I would hazard a guess of close to goal.

Yep, your right. He plays small, & today suited him to a 'T'. Wet, greasy, very, very slippery conditions, suited a tall midfield type player who can keep his feet & finish off the work.

Forwardline played high, congesting the midzone & keeping our forward area open for forwards to move into or through when necessary. I liked, from ours, Cheney, Dunn, Strauss, McKenzie...

For gods sake, look at his game DESPITE the lack of goals he kicks.

Today was a very bad day for him, but also in very bad conditions.

In dry weather, look how good he is below his knees. His clean hands are great, he reads the play incredibly well, and has a good kick.

He needs core strength, more games ( albeit in casey ) and ......time.

To suggest he is a dud is just stupid.

Thanks for your confidence "Rusty Kingswood" just let me know when he plays in a game where he actually influences the result.

He should be good below the knees he spends alot of time on them.

'old dee', can I get in early?

From Watt I've seen, & the fact he's been held back, "while still growing" & not yet filling out, I think we'll see him play a fair bit @ Casey, &, If I'm not getting ahead of myself, playing finals with Casey, & going full tilt come September.

Followed up by a Big Pre/Season & a totally Optimistic 2010!

Edited by dee-luded

Not a day for forwards today, but the longer term answer is the lack of a seriously imposing mature forward of the sort David Neitz presented.

Watts is a kid with a skinny body. If he were making his way a few years back when Neita was there to share the heat there would not be this anguish over Watts.

As it is he draws heaps of attention from the opposition and we need an alternate target to take the limelight from him.

Miller unfortunately cannot fill that role and now I don't see anyone on the list who can, as capable as B Green is.

Most kids, most number one draft picks don't have to make their way as Watts is doing, so we just have to bide our time. I thought it was interesting today that he was playing such a central role early - I always saw him this year as HFF material. The FD is obviously trying to teach him stuff -playing in front would be a start - he knows that already but has not learned how to put himself in front at this level.

I have to ask, why was it that every time the ball was kicked to him at half forward the camera moved across to find him flat on his face and his opponent taking an uncontested mark? Was he being fouled or is he just too easy to push off?

He kept falling over.

The really annoying bit, the 3 obnoxious Carlton supporters behind me were getting maximum pleasure bagging him constantly. They loudly proclaimed that Melb had picked a dud at #1, and even more loudly pretended not to know who was pick 2 in that draft, then sang Natanui's praises to rub it in.

Of course, they're the experts at number one picks, having tanked and rorted to get so many.

It didn't help that they giggled and pointed out all the times that Watts fell over his feet. The most unfortunate thing, I couldn't really say anything to shut them up.

I think he spent most of the second half on the bench.

(postscript, are Carltank supporters the absolute worst? Maybe up there with Essendon. Mine today were arrogant, loud, constant stream bagging Melb and praising all the early free kicks they got... only to turn feral on their own players (& the ump's) in the 3rd qtr when one of them proclaimed "we're going to lose this". They left at 3 qtr time, which was just as well because the last qtr in the rain was miserable enough anyway)