• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

THE LAST GASP

Demonland

THE LAST GASP by KC from Casey

Casey's Rian McGough is the toast of the town after his last gasp goal secured victory for the Scorpions over the Bendigo Bombers on Sunday.

The win ensured that the Scorpions retained third placing in what is becoming an exciting battle at the top of the VFL leader board and, with wins away from home against both of the competition's teams from Provincial Victoria, the club has now set an exciting benchmark for the remainder of the 2010 season.

Bendigo was hampered by the loss through suspension of coach Shannon Grant but put in a fantastic performance under caretaker Gary O'Donnell by coming back twice under difficult circumstances to put themselves into a seemingly winning position late in the game.

The conditions at the picturesque Queen Elizabeth Oval that greeted the visitors were certainly daunting. Rain during the week and three Bendigo Football League games on Saturday ensured that the ground's surface was muddy, particularly through the corridor and in the goal squares. A cold, biting wind blew straight down the oval and rain squalls were the order of the day. The visitors kicked to the scoring end aided by the gusty breeze which locals assessed as giving a five to six goal advantage and opened with early goals to Lynden Dunn and Daniel Hughes. After a quick reply from the Bombers, Casey went on to dominate the quarter taking a lead of 37 points into the first break after Michael Newton's goal (his second) on the siren. The Scorpions had 13 shots at goal to the Bomber's one at quarter time.

Casey's on ball division led by Danny Nicholls was working hard at the stoppages as the team kicked into the wind in the early part of the second term and, when Ben Macreadie scored his team's second for the quarter at the six-minute mark, it held a commanding 43-point lead. The defence held firm for several minutes before Bendigo began its run in mid-term and an avalanche of goals followed with the assistance of the roaring gale. When Bomber Kyle Reimers goaled on the siren, it completed a remarkable fight back of six unanswered goals in fifteen minutes that saw his team within a goal of the lead as they marched into the sheds.

The second half opened with Casey regaining the ascendency through a Jake Spencer goal followed by three more in relatively quick succession but, just when it seemed that the Scorpions would establish an unassailable lead, Bendigo struck back again in midterm. The Bombers kicked two goals into the teeth of the wind while Casey remained stuck on 12 goals and, when Lynden Dunn's after-the-siren shot, missed its target, the 19-point three quarter time lead simply didn't appear to be enough. If anything, the wind was strengthening.

Coach Brad Gotch pushed an extra man down into defence in an attempt to curb the expected onslaught and implored his troops to play tight and fight hard for possession of the football. The Bombers attacked but squandered their opportunities as they slowly narrowed the gap.

Casey suffered a setback when big ruckman Spencer injured his knee and had to be stretchered off the ground. The Scorpions had already lost Rohan Bail early in the game when he left the field clutching what appeared to be an injured jaw. The excitement was mounting as the seconds ticked away.

The Bombers kept missing the goals until a free kick from ten metres to Hayden Skipworth narrowed the gap to 10 points with plenty of time left. This was a time for dour defence and the Scorpion backline held firm. A dour James Taylor was at his bustling best and he had strong support from Evan Panozza, James Wall, Kyle Cheney, Michael Stockdale and Tom McNamara. Newton came back to take some telling marks and the team's defensive pressure was forcing the home team into errors as the clock ran down.

A goal to Darcy Daniher made it a two point game with 30 minutes gone and the Bombers continued to attack for two more points to level the scores for the first time since the game's opening moments. Just when all seemed lost for the Scorpions, who had not scored for the entire quarter and had not goaled since midway through the third, fate stepped in.

The defence was able to push the ball along the wing and into the forward line where McGough marked some fifty metres out, and with the entire space in front of him vacant, the Casey youngster played on into an open goal to kick his team's lucky 13th major with a minute left to go.

The Scorpion defence then duly ate up the remaining sixty seconds to see their team record a famous against the odds victory for their club.

bendigovcasey2010317.jpg

HOW THE DEMONS FARED

Rohan Bail - lasted all of five minutes before sustaining a facial injury.

Daniel Bell - strong bodied midfielder who worked hard but didn't do enough to thrust his name in front of the selectors against other midfield rivals.

Kyle Cheney - played what has become characteristic of his defensive games. Hard at the ball, strong marking and the usual desperation in defence.

Lynden Dunn - marked strongly and worked hard around the ground. Kicked an early goal and was handy in the desperate final moments.

Rhys Healey - had little impact.

Daniel Hughes - kicked a couple of nice goals but didn't put his stamp on the game.

Paul Johnson - moved between defence and the ruck and had to do most of the ruckwork when Spencer was injured. Was probably more effective down back.

Jordie McKenzie - solid performance that would not have harmed his prospects of a return to the Melbourne team next weekend.

Tom McNamara - was part of a formidable defence that held firm for most of the day in trying conditions for backmen.

Addam Maric - had a solid first half but then faded.

Stefan Martin - played down back and up forward with the occasional run on the ball and needed the run after a couple weeks off with injury.

Michael Newton - a solid game. Took some great marks in attack and in defence and kicked two goals. One of the team's best.

Jake Spencer - a very good performance in the ruck until he injured a knee early in the last quarter and was stretchered off after looking decidedly wonky.

James Strauss - fulfilled a marking role in defence and did that well. Also showed out with excellent disposal.

Casey Scorpions 6.7.43 8.10.58 12.13.85 13.13.91

Bendigo Bombers 1.0.6 8.5.53 10.6.66 12.13.85

Goals

Casey Scorpions Hughes Macreadie McGough Newton Spencer 2 Dunn Fieldsend Maric Martin Spencer

Bendigo Bombers Daniher Skipworth 2 Bellchambers Carlisle Colyer Houli Quinn Reimers Still Silverlock

Best

Casey Scorpions Panozza Newton Taylor MacReadie Wall Dunn

Bendigo Bombers Bellchambers Slattery Crameri Skipworth Silverlock Hardingham

The Reserves went down to Port Melbourne by 8 points in a closely fought out game at TEAC Oval on Saturday. Tim Smith and Ben Waite booted four goals each while Mark Weekes was his team's best.

Casey Scorpions 7.4.46 10.7.67 13.10.88 17.13.115

Port Melbourne 3.2.20 11.5.71 17.8.110 19.9.123

Goals

Casey Scorpions Smith Waite 4 Simpson 3 Petropoulos Sykes 2 David Bell Purdy

Port Melbourne Oakley 5 Burstin Suckling 3 Bond Debruin 2 Free Kyriakides Mullins Scipione

Best

Casey Scorpions Weekes Patti David Bell Sykes Chivers M Dowse

Port Melbourne Fanning Kyriakides Suckling Burstin Keely Oakley

Michael Newton

I thought Juice was probably one of our best couple of players. He took eight marks, and in those conditions, that was really good. He played a bit in the ruck, and he was part of the last passage as well. He got the mark from the kick in, got it to Johnno, and then Johnno passed it to McGough for the goal. So, he did some really constructive things. He was a very important player.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7415/newsid/95484/default.aspx

Kyle Cheney -

Kyle just continues his consistency. He was defensively sound again, plus he had around 21 possessions as well. We know that when he gets the footy, something tends to happen with it, and he did well on his man.

I reckon the little write up on Strauss looks interesting

James did the big kick in from full-back that went an extra ten metres over what it had gone all day, so that was quite amazing. He worked off his man all day. We put him on Mark Williams, who is very dangerous, and I don’t think he conceded a goal against him. We threw him around a little bit - he went up to the wing a bit in the third quarter, and I thought he ran really well. He had about nine handball receives, and he’s starting to get it, being both defensive and attacking.

No mention of Rohan Bail. I know he went off early with a knock to the head, and didn't return. I heard later that he was taken to hospital for scans. Does anyone know the outcome? He's had a very ordinary run with injuries since he was drafted.

Also, has anyone heard the nature / extent of big Spencer's knee injury?

I reckon the little write up on Strauss looks interesting

James did the big kick in from full-back that went an extra ten metres over what it had gone all day, so that was quite amazing. He worked off his man all day. We put him on Mark Williams, who is very dangerous, and I don't think he conceded a goal against him. We threw him around a little bit - he went up to the wing a bit in the third quarter, and I thought he ran really well. He had about nine handball receives, and he's starting to get it, being both defensive and attacking.

Yeah, I agree, very exciting. The newbies are starting to signal their around. When we want to inject some ruggedness, IMO Cheney will one day be one hard nut. He's not the exquisitely skilled Strauss, but he'll be more the Whelan type.

Strauss will be a very welcome addition to the regulars when he's consistent. He could be in sooner rather than later.

But at the moment with the Pies game around the corner, I'm looking for some physical size & strength.

Edited by dee-luded

No mention of Rohan Bail. I know he went off early with a knock to the head, and didn't return. I heard later that he was taken to hospital for scans. Does anyone know the outcome? He's had a very ordinary run with injuries since he was drafted.

Also, has anyone heard the nature / extent of big Spencer's knee injury?

Spencer's knee injury - 4 weeks.

Rohan Bail - was available last week & I think hasn't been added to the not available list, so he must be available. Just a head knock, wasn't it.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/injury%20list/tabid/8752/default.aspx

James did the big kick in from full-back that went an extra ten metres over what it had gone all day, so that was quite amazing. He worked off his man all day. We put him on Mark Williams, who is very dangerous, and I don't think he conceded a goal against him. We threw him around a little bit - he went up to the wing a bit in the third quarter, and I thought he ran really well. He had about nine handball receives, and he's starting to get it, being both defensive and attacking.

We're playing the kid in the backline, but I'd like to see him have a run in the middle. That's where he played his junior footy wasn't it?

We're playing the kid in the backline, but I'd like to see him have a run in the middle. That's where he played his junior footy wasn't it?

Nah, James has played most of his junior football off wing/half back flank. That's where he was used in the National U/18 Champs, where he was the designated kick-in player for Vic Metro, and his run and exceptional foot-skills stood out.

Guest DeesPower

Michael Newton

I thought Juice was probably one of our best couple of players. He took eight marks, and in those conditions, that was really good. He played a bit in the ruck, and he was part of the last passage as well. He got the mark from the kick in, got it to Johnno, and then Johnno passed it to McGough for the goal. So, he did some really constructive things. He was a very important player.

Agree. My problem with him is he has not performed coonsistently when given the chance in the big time. He is a VERY good VFL player. He would be a very valuable AFL player if he could do the same in the ones.

Guest DeesPower

Yeah, I agree, very exciting. The newbies are starting to signal their around. when we want to inject some ruggedness, IMO Cheney will one day be one hard nut. He's not the exquisitely skilled Strauss, but he'll be more the Whelan type.

Strauss will be a very welcome addition to the regulars when he's consistent. He could be in sooner rather than later.

But at the moment with the Pies game around the corner, I'm looking for some physical size & strength.

If Strauss can get his defensive game together, then he could be a very valuable player. His kicking skills are sublime, particularly kicking in, an area I think we do very badly in in the firsts. He is also an accurate long kick on the run into the forward line, so he may be worth a punt this week to help combat the Carlton mosquito fleet.

Edited by DeesPower

Really happy with the review Strauss got, and I hope he is in for this week to replace one of Rivers or MacDonald because he definitely is better suited to Carlton's small backline.

Yeah, I think it would be worthwhile Strauss getting some games at AFL level. He definitely has more pace for the smaller forwards. With 12 games left of the H&A season, I'd like to see more games for guys such as Strauss. WOrth their weight in gold in development terms. If he's form is good, and going by the report it is, put him straight in.

NO- he played off the half back flank

I always enjoy reading Brad Gotch's VFL Player Review which is just up for the game against Bendigo Bombers. I like the mix of objective statistical observations and judgement calls and his preparedness to say something plainly "I thought Stef struggled a bit." Sometimes he damns with faint praise. Of Newton against N Bullants "worked well with Millsy so that was handy" on a day when Miller dominates and Newton doesnt.

Cheney, Newton and Maric get the best reviews this week and Cheney "has been fantastic for 5 weeks" (post Bullants review)and this week

"Kyle just continues his consistency. He was defensively sound again, plus he had around 21 possessions as well. We know that when he gets the footy, something tends to happen with it, and he did well on his man"

which might recommend him as a tagger on a small Carlton forward and as someone who then turns defence into offense with effective kicking. I get the sense from posting at this site that he is not seen as the real deal perhaps because he was taken at 53 and not 19 (Strauss).

Maric who had his "best game of the year" against the Bullants is judged "In the main, he’s working really well, getting a lot of it lately, and he’s got his work rate right up." we dont lack for small forwards with Bennell and Wona who both werent stars against Geelong.

Finally the unfashionable Newton - and take note of the conditions - "I thought Juice was probably one of our best couple of players....he did some really constructive things. He was a very important player." - the guy just wont lie down it would seem. Played in the ruck as well.

Finally in the games prior to the selection of Morton and Wona there wasnt the VFL standard that propelled Miller into the ones. Wona was "lively and quiet in the second half / he was still okay" and Morton "still contributed pretty well / probably didnt get the possession rate". Some players do better and worse at the higher level - clearly DB has some players like Wona and Morton in mind for development regardless of their VFL form and some will struggle to make seniors regardless of VFL outcomes.

Are Cheney,and Maric seen to be in the A Team or are they bit players? I know what you will say on Newton!

How bad is Jake Spencer's knee injury ?

Newton in the best. Wow.

Injury list says -Spencer ---- 4 weeks.