Changes for next week

Bates Mate

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People want Bartram out, but think of who we are playing next week. You take out Bartram and who plays on Burns, Stokes and Varcoe?

They have plenty of smalls who can hurt us... well they have 22 players who will hurt us, but Bartram is our best small defensive option right now.

I'd have Garland on Pods, Warnock on Mooney and Frawley on Steve Johnson. Bartram takes Burns and you can have MacDonald on Varcoe and Grimes on Stokes.

Rivers will have no match up next week as far as I can see, because all of Geelong's forward will kill him on the lead.

Similar, but I'd switch Garland onto Stevie J, so he can play closer attention to him.

Mooney will drag Warnock away from goal, I'd keep warnock as close to goal as possible picking up whichever tall is playing the deeepest.

Frawley to take preferrably Mooney or the highest tall with Rivers & or Grimes running cover for those two & sweeping the goalmouth.

This will be a big test of our organizational abilities to hold our defensive structures intact. We may also need to have Davey & Morton sweeping through the defense to help cover the cats mobile smalls.

Forget about Rohan Bail for next week.

He's played one game at Casey in the past five weeks and he requires at least one or two more runs there.

Unfortunately for him, there's a bye in the VFL for the interstate game so he's unlucky.

Similarly, Martin hasn't played for a couple of weeks and he'll need a run at Casey.

Some changes will come down to how players recover. Be prepared for reports on how many kg's some players shed tonight...it's bound to happen.

For now I'll say just two changes: -

OUTS: Wonaeamirri (underdone, came off quite a bit). See how the defenders pull up. MacDonald ?

INS: Bate or Dunn (depending upon availability of Bate), Warnock.

That is all for now at this stage until we hear more. I thought the team played really well. Couldn't believe how much of the ball Port had in the last quarter. Frustrating. Good on the boys to win after being headed. Good win under the circumstances and a entertaining game.

I'd imagine Bruce might be close. If it's hammy trouble and if he is touch & go, I'd be inclined to rule him out early in the week, err on the side of caution.

I like the look of Bennell and Jetta up forward providing pace and spreading well the opposition's defence. If we are to trouble Geelong, we need to continue to do this and spread their defence.

edit: Another change. If Bruce is fit and ready to go, maybe a change for Rivers. I think he might suit Stevie J.

Edited by High Tower

People want Bartram out, but think of who we are playing next week. You take out Bartram and who plays on Burns, Stokes and Varcoe?

They have plenty of smalls who can hurt us... well they have 22 players who will hurt us, but Bartram is our best small defensive option right now.

I'd have Garland on Pods, Warnock on Mooney and Frawley on Steve Johnson. Bartram takes Burns and you can have MacDonald on Varcoe and Grimes on Stokes.

Rivers will have no match up next week as far as I can see, because all of Geelong's forward will kill him on the lead.

Frawley - Mooney

Grimes - Varcoe

Warnock - Podsiadly

Garland - Stevie J

Bruce - Stokes

Macdonald - Hawkins

There's not much telling who will and won't come up from a game like that. Everyone was out on their feet and the boys now have a long flight home before getting into their rehab so really anybody could wind up too sore to go next week so it's difficult to accurately predict the changes.

However, I think Aussie may be going with the Club's group up to Tiwi Islands with Jimmy, Cam, etc. To me, that would say the footy department made the very interesting decision ahead of time to rest Aussie next week as a trip home would see him not joining the group for rehab.

I really hope Bate & Bruce are right to go for next week, aside from needing their experience against Geelong we are going to need quality players to bring into this side to replace blokes who won't have enough gas in the tank to play with the intensity required to hang with the Cats. For this same reason I could see players like Gysberts & Cheney given a real chance to get a game next week.

I'm pretty worried about what might happen to us next week, it's hard enough keeping up with Geelong, particularly at Skilled, under normal circumstances but our young players are going to really struggle to bring the run after that slog.

our mids have a huge job for the next two weeks....ablett & co next week...then judd and co the following week...this coming off the back of darwin...

wat a couple of weeks for scully....he will know he's arrived at AFL level after these two games.

IN: Bate, Bruce, Dunn (2nd ruckman/utility), Warnock

OUT: Bartram, Rivers, Wonna, McKenzie (purely for a rest after a taxing game, if Moloney is suspended then keep him in).

Actually change my selections

IN: Bate, Bruce, Strauss, Warnock

OUT: Bartram, MacDonald, Rivers, Jetta (very, very stiff, would keep him in if Moloney is rubbed out)

FB: Garland, Warnock, Strauss

HB: Morton, Frawley, Grimes

C: Scully, McKenzie, Davey

HF: Sylvia, Bate, Bennell

FF: Watts, Miller, Wonna

FOLL: Jamar, Moloney, McDonald

INT: Bruce, Green, Jones, Trengove

EMERG: Gysberts, Jetta, Spencer

Players I've brought in are players who should be in our best 22, only players in who'd I'd say aren't in our best 22 are Miller, Watts and Bennell who I'd have out for Jurrah, Petterd and Martin to play at CHB and as our back up ruckman for Jamar.

Actually change my selections

IN: Bate, Bruce, Strauss, Warnock

OUT: Bartram, MacDonald, Rivers, Jetta (very, very stiff, would keep him in if Moloney is rubbed out)

FB: Garland, Warnock, Strauss

HB: Morton, Frawley, Grimes

C: Scully, McKenzie, Davey

HF: Sylvia, Bate, Bennell

FF: Watts, Miller, Wonna

FOLL: Jamar, Moloney, McDonald

INT: Bruce, Green, Jones, Trengove

EMERG: Gysberts, Jetta, Spencer

Players I've brought in are players who should be in our best 22, only players in who'd I'd say aren't in our best 22 are Miller, Watts and Bennell who I'd have out for Jurrah, Petterd and Martin to play at CHB and as our back up ruckman for Jamar.

Jetta is miles in front of Wona at this stage and was proven in the Game, so Jetta will stay in at the expense of Wona who doesnt look fit enough, or have the touch at the moment. We need another Ruckman, but to replace who? Its getting hard.

Morton should go out but it seems everyone is have a love fest with him so then he will stay.

I think that the love fest is everyone recognizing the importance of Morton for our side going forward. He was definitely underdone for last night's game, but he needs game time now. The big question should be who would replace him?

Select for their forward line:

Mooney - Frawley

Pods - Warnock

These two could even switch roles.

Hawkins - MacDonald

Johnson - Bruce?

Varcoe - Bartram/Garland

Stokes - Bartram/Garland

Leaves Rivers to play free.

May I be contraversial and suggest we will not win this match- cast aside the fact they are Geelong at home, they will be fresher than us so we will be starting with a handycap already... some may not like this but i'm looking forward to the Carlton game already...

with this in mind anyone who needs a rest should get it. Jamar included. Ins should be anyone fresh and willing to put everything on the line for 4 quarters. Next week will be a loss, why not have mass outs for rest? other teams do it.

If Bate, Bruce and Warnock are all fit they will all play. Gysberts didn't have a game this weekend I believe so he's unlucky, same goes for Bail who deserves another game and just might get one this weekend.

Outs are hard, MacDonald can go, after that form would suggest Wonaeamirri but it will depend how well he pulls up, the club will be very keen to get games into him. There is going to be some tired players so maybe one of Scully or Mckenzie will be rested. Moloney won't get suspended as he didn't appear to make any head contact. Garland needs to be given time at this level as he is part of our future. Those suggesting Morton should be dropped clearly don't understand where our club is going and who it's going there with. As for Jetta, he's probably already in Geelong!

I think that the love fest is everyone recognizing the importance of Morton for our side going forward. He was definitely underdone for last night's game, but he needs game time now. The big question should be who would replace him?

Anyone on our list can replace Morton. He just does not have enough impact on games, it is a wonder how everyone thinks he is great.

I don't think Gysberts will come in this week after a week off and when few deserve to lose their spot.

He'll probably play the following week after a tough game where some are sure to struggle and put their place in jeopardy.

Jetta must stay in.

I don't think Wona will.

Warnock must return.

Bate and Bruce pending fitness.

There are some tough decisions to be made.

And Hughes is unlikely to come back in anytime soon. Sorry Danny.

Morton should go out but it seems everyone is have a love fest with him so then he will stay.

Cale needs to play senior footy. He's does his time at Casey, dominated and now he must play seniors to get the pace of the game back.

I prefer to think with selection this year that we need to get games into our best players.

And that means Morton, Wonaeamirri, and Garland get games when underdone.

I think guys like Morton are just as valuable at 75% fit than the 22nd best player in the side anyway. Especially when that player is a Dunn or Johnson.

Not sure the same applies to Wonaeamirri especialy since his best is still some weeks away. Still it was nice to see that he hadn't lost that "touch". Can't wait until he's back proper.

Moloney won't get suspended as he didn't appear to make any head contact.

You must have a short memory - he is the only player that I can recall who has ever been suspended for head contact when even the tribunal admitted that he may not have made contact!!

Out - Rivers can't catch the ball, can't keep up with an opponent.

Wonna, not up to it yet

someone else for team balance because of Geelong's gorrillas

In - Bruce, can catch a ball and keep up with an opponent

Bate, need him

Warnock, to take care of a gorilla or two

rivers may look like he doesnt do much, but i reckon he does his job. i dont think he deserves to be dropped.

will agree with wona, bruce bate and warnock

There's not much telling who will and won't come up from a game like that. Everyone was out on their feet and the boys now have a long flight home before getting into their rehab so really anybody could wind up too sore to go next week so it's difficult to accurately predict the changes.

However, I think Aussie may be going with the Club's group up to Tiwi Islands with Jimmy, Cam, etc. To me, that would say the footy department made the very interesting decision ahead of time to rest Aussie next week as a trip home would see him not joining the group for rehab.

I really hope Bate & Bruce are right to go for next week, aside from needing their experience against Geelong we are going to need quality players to bring into this side to replace blokes who won't have enough gas in the tank to play with the intensity required to hang with the Cats. For this same reason I could see players like Gysberts & Cheney given a real chance to get a game next week.

I'm pretty worried about what might happen to us next week, it's hard enough keeping up with Geelong, particularly at Skilled, under normal circumstances but our young players are going to really struggle to bring the run after that slog.

Yeah, their good points you,ve made & that may explain why i was confused about our tactics selectionwise. I was starting to thinkwe were going to rest Jamar. But they did the opposite which thru me a little, but I think now I understand. Also re selection, Strauss was names as an emergency, so possibly he could be one answer this coming week.

We sure are starting to play some games through the selection & I must say I like It. It adds some intrigue.

I don't think Gysberts will come in this week after a week off and when few deserve to lose their spot.

He'll probably play the following week after a tough game where some are sure to struggle and put their place in jeopardy.

Jetta must stay in.

I don't think Wona will.

Warnock must return.

Bate and Bruce pending fitness.

There are some tough decisions to be made.

And Hughes is unlikely to come back in anytime soon. Sorry Danny.

I agree, those with the bigger bodies are watts needed now. The next 5 weeks will be a huge test on our resources.

Who will tag G.ABLETT?

Who will tag or play head to head with J.Bartel

Who will tag or play head to head with J.Selwood

Who will tag P.Chapman?

Ud expect jones to run with one

potentially bartrram may be a run with player

and then theres Mcdonald and McKenzie who love there tackles so may put up their hands