• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Malthouse to coach Dee's

Guest oldman emubitter

Guest oldman emubitter

I'm calling it early but if Mike can get out of the Collingwood job and is interested he will have the job,; I can't wait.

Sorry Dean, but you don't have the players working for you.

I'm calling it early but if Mike can get out of the Collingwood job and is interested he will have the job,; I can't wait.

Yeah, like Mick needs the pittance we could afford to pay, on top of the headaches. He has the backing of a powerful club, state of the art facilities and a profile that will see him with a nice, comfy job in the media, when he retires. God forbid, if the filth can jag this year's flag, I say it will be cue in the rack for Mick and he will live happily ever after.

yes and he will bring Scott Pendlebury with him as we all know people from the power sides are just falling over themselves to come to us

Oldman, Bailey has just been signed to another 12 months meaning he will not come out of contract until the end of the 2011 season. Are you suggesting Malthouse for 2012? Can't see this happening. Bailey will have proven himself by then and can't see Melbourne being able to afford Malthouse, or Malthouse having any interest in coaching a minnor.

Have a few of issues with this idea:

a) why would we be so keen on him? He hasnt won a premiership at Collingwood with unparalleled resources (althought this year could be the one), so why would he do any better with us?

B why would he bother working at Melbourne when he has been at Collingwood and West Coast - 2 of the best resourced clubs in the AFL. It would be an amazing step.

c) he's getting on, why not identify the next great coach ourselves and have him in charge for 20 years?

Edited by ArthurDent

Hey, I know, have any of you heard of this guy called Dean Bailey? He's supposed to be a little-known former Port Adelaide assistant highly regarded for his teaching ability. Better yet, he's also had senior coaching experience at a club that's rebuilding. I just know that if we gave him a few years, he might just surprise the football world. And he doesn't cost too much, either.

Have a few of issues with this idea:

a) why would we be so keen on him? He hasnt won a premiership at Collingwood with unparalleled resources (althought this year could be the one), so why would he do any better with us?

B why would he bother working at Melbourne when he has been at Collingwood and West Coast - 2 of the best resourced clubs in the AFL. It would be an amazing step.

c) he's getting on, why not identify the next great coach ourselves and have him in charge for 20 years?

Maybe the board did that about 2 1/2 years ago.

Can anyone answer this - how many games would we have won in the past 3 seasons had Malthouse, Sheedy or even bloody Norm Smith been coaching us? Maybe we would have won a few more (although it cannot be proved), but what state would our list be in if we had finished around the 8th - 10th mark for those years. I can assure you, we wouldn't have Watts, Scully, Trengove and even Liam Jurrah.

Blind Freddy can see that a majority of the list love Bailey. Look at the press confrences when he is there with blokes rom Frawley, Grimes down to Scully and Trengove. Bails loves them, and I'm pretty sure they have great respect for him. If it''s the older blokes that don't like him, I'm more than happy for them to have similar outcomes to White, Robbo, etc. You older blokes are grown men, how about you grow up and play for your coach and your club. Reality is if you f*** around and don't play the game plan, or don't get your sh!t together, you will be forced out. And good luck getting a game with another club because you will be worth jack sh!t to anyone else. Don't believe me? Look at Trav Johnstone - was dropped on a few occasions last season, even though he has had access to better facilities.

In regards to the original post...no thanks.

Bailey's press conference after the game was calm and easy. Just another practice match for him, with a further 2 years on his contract. No rush, no pressure, no will to win. Just another mediocre week at the office. No sweat, no emotional involvement. I tell ya, when we put in an effort like that, I am depressed for a week. I can't hold my anger and frustration in check. I don't think the bloke is normal. He did not even seem upset. I am sorry, but the bloke dosnt represent the MFC or the passion of red&blue faithful. I want the old boys from the good old days when we fought for victory or punched on for respect. The blokes like Stynes, Viney, Yeates, Lyon, Neitz, Swartz Tingay and so on. Not an Essendon boy who couldn't hold his spot.

Malthouse is from another tribe, stuff him.

We need Viney as coach. An animal who bled for the faithful. A proven warrior and general. Someone we can really get behind.

Firstly I would like to say that I hope Bailey does put all the pieces together before his contract is up, and we don't need to make a coaching change. Still not sold on him but am willing to give him the rest of the season to show his ability to improve the players individually and as a team.

However, if Bailey continues to show us nothing then Viney could well be the next in line. On the surface he seems a good fit 1) Has done his apprenticeship under some premiership coaches & has experienced a successful rebuild 1st hand. 2) Favourite son who was an MFC captain and played tough and made the most of the skills he had. 3) Will not command a huge amount of $$$ to get him signed as he will be a 1st time coach. The one thing that might count against Viney unfortunately is the possibility of his son (Jack???) being drafted under the father son rule in the next few years. Has anyone ever coached their son at AFL level in the modern era? Would it compromise his team selections etc. etc? Might not ... but just something to consider.

The only thing i'll say on this issue is i think he is a great coach to have that list where it is for the last few years,he extracts the best out of each player.They haven't had a ruckman for ten years,they were ranked 16th in hitouts last year and Fraser wasn't in their best 22 for the prelim,he was an emergency and they went with Cameron Wood and they still made the last 2 prelims.Funniest thing is they are going to axe him after 2011 for an untried coach after they've finished top 4 for 4 years,stupidest decision i've heard in years.

Malthouse had a whinge today about playing the top 4 teams twice each,he didn't complain about playing us twice in the first 12 rounds,same as last year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oldman, Bailey has just been signed to another 12 months meaning he will not come out of contract until the end of the 2011 season. Are you suggesting Malthouse for 2012? Can't see this happening. Bailey will have proven himself by then and can't see Melbourne being able to afford Malthouse, or Malthouse having any interest in coaching a minnor.

Frontloading player contracts this year will help the cause.

I support this proposal to recruit Malthouse in 2012, though I hope it doesn't come to that because FD stability is just as important.

Unlike allot of others, I am prepared to get behind Bailey, staff and players, and back them in. It is still R1 after all.

However, I was thinking today that if things ( god forbid ) really did go pare shaped over this year, I mean really bad, and Bailey got the arse ( which wouldn't happen), theres this guy coming out of contract that coaches the Swans. One of the best in the business I am told. Just a day dream, but I wouldn't mind it at all.

He was on my wishlist too, Rusty, but ...

"I've always said I'm not a career coach, I've seen myself as the right person to coach this football club," he said.

"At the end of next year, I see John [Longmire] as the absolute right person to coach this football club and I certainly can't see myself coaching anywhere else."

Hey, I know, have any of you heard of this guy called Dean Bailey? He's supposed to be a little-known former Port Adelaide assistant highly regarded for his teaching ability. Better yet, he's also had senior coaching experience at a club that's rebuilding. I just know that if we gave him a few years, he might just surprise the football world. And he doesn't cost too much, either.

Doesn't anyone remember several years ago when the blue and white hoops were in a weekly crisis and the Cats supporters were continuously calling for Bomber's head, and they very nearly got it. Two years later they were premiers. People have short memories.

We have got to give the club time, but that does not mean they are above criticism, and I for one thought the weekend's performance showed no redeeming features at all, except perhaps for our new recruits' performances. At the moment though I believe constructive criticism is more appropriate.

We WILL see continuous improvement throughout the season, it will just not be as quick as we all had hoped for.

P*ssed off I didn’t star this topic.

I’ve been thinking this for a while.

I've seen "nothing" in dean to suspect he will be a good coach.

Can anyone name a player that has "flourished" under DB?

Mick can bring this to the table.

Takes no [censored] from no-one, Will shoot you down in a flash & demand the best and get results.

Surprisingly that "Competitive Edge" so need.s

Bailey will bring himself undone if he doesn’t come up with a game plan quick.

I just hope it’s not at the expense of any players, members or prospect members.

Mick Malthouse last coached a team to a flag in 1994.

Has had 15 seasons since at 2 of the best resourced clubs in the competition yet has not landed another.

Bailey inherited a very ordinary list devoid of elite experienced talent and has overseen a rebuild over 3 drafts focussed on drafting as much of the best young talent available as possible and as a result we have the best collection of elite junior talent of any club.

Of course as a result of inheriting a team with no A Graders and recruiting elite young talent instead of trading for short term fixes he has put the team and the club ahead of his own interests.

He might not be the coach to take this group all the way through to Number 13 but that should rightfully serve out the final 2 years of his contract and be judged at the end of that period.

Has had 15 seasons since at 2 of the best resourced clubs in the competition yet has not landed another.

Bailey inherited a very ordinary list devoid of elite experienced talent and has overseen a rebuild over 3 drafts focussed on drafting as much of the best young talent available as possible and as a result we have the best collection of elite junior talent of any club.

Of course as a result of inheriting a team with no A Graders and recruiting elite young talent instead of trading for short term fixes he has put the team and the club ahead of his own interests.

He might not be the coach to take this group all the way through to Number 13 but that should rightfully serve out the final 2 years of his contract and be judged at the end of that period.

you make some very good points...i am going to sleep now feeling ever so slightly better!!

I think Todd Viney would be a big chance to be the next coach of MFC.He would have plenty of supporters to get the gig including: Jimmy,Garry Lyon,CC

How would he go coaching his son? Could be awkward for them.

I just cannot believe why so many people think that our rebuild is not going to take several years to complete.

We have lost a lot of players since the end of 2007 and the effect of this cannot be under estimated

We have removed 20 players from list since the end of 2007 - I am not sure what part of that number would be deemed trivial.

For 2009 Colin Sylvia was rated our best player statistically and Jack Grimes in his first full year was your third best.

6 out of your top 10 players in 2007 are no longer there. This would test any teams depth. For the first time in many many years we have

recruited youth and talented ones in that for our future. You cannot turn 18-19 year olds into 23-24 year olds overnight with 5 pre seasons under their belts. The best we can do is give them game time and development.

Bottom line as demonaic has said our senior listed players are not elite and therefore the support required for our kids is not at the same level as Hawthorn has been able to provide.

Whilst I did not enjoy the first half of last weeks game, the second half was clearly better with a tackle count higher than Hawthorn and two clearances less at the end of the game. You cannot say that the intensity was not there. Having watched the replay I clearly saw some very good signs of clearing the ball out of our backline and patches where the game plan was clear. We are falling down at our half forward line right now and the ball is coming back out quickly. If we can hold it up and score some goals early we will see a very different team out there.

Have faith...We just need to be patient and enjoy watching our kids develop. We should be there encouraging them and attending games to show our support. To all those that have thrown in the towel after round 1 - If our president who is fighting the hard fight against cancer can make it to games then What is your excuse for not been there???

If you want to blame the coach and the FD then fine but at least be fair about it and look at the reasons why we are where we are at right now?

I personally think Dean is doing a good job with very inexperienced cattle out there.

Bailey has already proven himself ........as out of his depth in the AFL coaching caper. I cannot understand why we offerred him a one year extension......we keep shooting ourselves in the foot. This type of ill considered planning is yet another reason we have not one a flag for nearly 50 years.....that is enough time to rebuild a team nearly 10 times.

I just cannot believe why so many people think that our rebuild is not going to take several years to complete.

We have lost a lot of players since the end of 2007 and the effect of this cannot be under estimated

We have removed 20 players from list since the end of 2007 - I am not sure what part of that number would be deemed trivial.

For 2009 Colin Sylvia was rated our best player statistically and Jack Grimes in his first full year was your third best.

6 out of your top 10 players in 2007 are no longer there. This would test any teams depth. For the first time in many many years we have

recruited youth and talented ones in that for our future. You cannot turn 18-19 year olds into 23-24 year olds overnight with 5 pre seasons under their belts. The best we can do is give them game time and development.

Bottom line as demonaic has said our senior listed players are not elite and therefore the support required for our kids is not at the same level as Hawthorn has been able to provide.

Whilst I did not enjoy the first half of last weeks game, the second half was clearly better with a tackle count higher than Hawthorn and two clearances less at the end of the game. You cannot say that the intensity was not there. Having watched the replay I clearly saw some very good signs of clearing the ball out of our backline and patches where the game plan was clear. We are falling down at our half forward line right now and the ball is coming back out quickly. If we can hold it up and score some goals early we will see a very different team out there.

Have faith...We just need to be patient and enjoy watching our kids develop. We should be there encouraging them and attending games to show our support. To all those that have thrown in the towel after round 1 - If our president who is fighting the hard fight against cancer can make it to games then What is your excuse for not been there???

If you want to blame the coach and the FD then fine but at least be fair about it and look at the reasons why we are where we are at right now?

I personally think Dean is doing a good job with very inexperienced cattle out there.

How can you possibly say that? we have won 7 out of 44 games under him. If he had delivered say 15 with the cattle we have I might say your right. Your one of the many "optimists" we have that think all the clubs decisions are right and never wrong. If that was the case we might just have pinched a flag in the last 46 years and even have our own proper training base for the oldest club in the league that isn't 52'000 miles away.