Demonology .v. Demonland

Prof

I am a Melbourne supporter. Have been since about 1961! I, like many other Melbourne supporters am interested in BOTH sites (Demonology and Demonland). I read them both. I tried to join Demonology about 3 months ago ... to no avail. Demonland is a highly sophisticated site with a lot of intelligent, focussed and thoughtful contributors. Demonology is more 'cutting edge' and perhaps amusing. Unfortunately, more prone to members abusing each other. If there are two to be two viable sites, then they need to be different. I'd like to be a member of both. Go Dees!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For some strange reason, I can't join ology either! It's bloody annoying. I see a topic on there, I want to comment, but I can't.

I prefer land anyday for it's information content.

I am a member of both. Its interesting how they are both quite different. 'Ology has some good sources but a lot of regular posters seem to have stopped. There are a couple of serial abusers on there who seem to enjoy baiting and abusing any view different to their own.

There has been an issue I believe in joining the site. The founder has been quite ill and has been unable to give the site his fullest attention.

I am a Melbourne supporter. Have been since about 1961! I, like many other Melbourne supporters am interested in BOTH sites (Demonology and Demonland). I read them both. I tried to join Demonology about 3 months ago ... to no avail. Demonland is a highly sophisticated site with a lot of intelligent, focussed and thoughtful contributors. Demonology is more 'cutting edge' and perhaps amusing. Unfortunately, more prone to members abusing each other. If there are two to be two viable sites, then they need to be different. I'd like to be a member of both. Go Dees!

I read both, & enjoy both for what they are.

I find 'ology a bit boring to look at, in its appearence, & IT functionality. Also the members over their seem to be more mature of age generally, and unfortunately fairly narrow veiwed & inadventurous in their thinking.

'land has more youth & a stronger aptitude for exploring different ideas.

But for me, I don't like to debate, at this stage my ideas. But rather just to post my thoughts as I learn about the way of the IT chatroom.

I have a distaste for aggression, verbally, & probably would much prefer to argue face to face, than with an abusive proponent behind a keyboard.

Also the members over their seem to be more mature of age generally, and unfortunately fairly narrow veiwed & inadventurous in their thinking.

'land has more youth & a stronger aptitude for exploring different ideas.

Funny, being new on here and having been on Demonology for a few years, I actually thought there seemed to be more of the "older brigade" (of which I am one, by the way) on here. I think that the "narrower and inadventurous" comment is a bit unfair, as that has little to do with age in my opinion.

Demonology is possibly a little less "administrated" than Demonland and as such can get a little anarchic from time to time... which is not necessarily a bad thing by the way :-) Unfortunately due to the fact that the owner of the site has been ill and unable to complete work on the site upgrade (although I have heard that is to be done soon), it has meant that it has not been possible for new members to join up and so discussions are tending to stagnate; on the other hand it has meant that administrators have been unable to impose bans on intentionally disruptive posters.

Being new here I am enjoying the serious discussions and the regularity of comments and the general optimism (although I'm sure I will see a different side over time)... having said that I love the cameradery of Demonland and the humour and the no holds barred nature of some discussions. I just wish they could get more on board and the ability to eject the trolls when they appear.

Funny, being new on here and having been on Demonology for a few years, I actually thought there seemed to be more of the "older brigade" (of which I am one, by the way) on here. I think that the "narrower and inadventurous" comment is a bit unfair, as that has little to do with age in my opinion.

Demonology is possibly a little less "administrated" than Demonland and as such can get a little anarchic from time to time... which is not necessarily a bad thing by the way :-) Unfortunately due to the fact that the owner of the site has been ill and unable to complete work on the site upgrade (although I have heard that is to be done soon), it has meant that it has not been possible for new members to join up and so discussions are tending to stagnate; on the other hand it has meant that administrators have been unable to impose bans on intentionally disruptive posters.

Being new here I am enjoying the serious discussions and the regularity of comments and the general optimism (although I'm sure I will see a different side over time)... having said that I love the cameradery of Demonland and the humour and the no holds barred nature of some discussions. I just wish they could get more on board and the ability to eject the trolls when they appear.

There are some of us oldies over here, but I think, far fewer younguns over there.

The narrow veiw point is not really aimed so much at the age bracket, but IMO, a more conservative aptitude o' yonder.

Welcome 'hardtack'...

There are some of us oldies over here, but I think, far fewer younguns over there.

The narrow veiw point is not really aimed so much at the age bracket, but IMO, a more conservative aptitude o' yonder.

Welcome 'hardtack'...

Thanks for the welcome D-L.

One thing which both sites do have in common (and I am not so sure that is a good thing) is Yze-Magic :)

Tim said recently that he is working on fixing the signup system for new members. Hopefully he can get it working soon, feels like i've been waiting to signup for around a year now! On average age, Demonology would definitely have an older crowd. Easy to pick this up from reading the topics over the past season. For some reason i like the 'ology website, with it's old school (read: outdated) feel and updated threads list on the homepage.

I too have tried to join 'ology, I started the process mid last season.

The problems with signing up there haven't been all bad for me, I've ended up as a member here in recent weeks.

What is the relationship between the sites? I note there is a common badge available.

I mostly liked the YM, I thought he was harmless & fun.

"mostly" being the operative word :) He could be harmless and fun, but he also had quite a nasty vindictive streak that occasionally surfaced. I suppose he was like a fine wine... looks great while it's on the shelf, but once the cork is out it can go off pretty quickly.

Generally i feel you are free to express youre opinions on 'Ology even if they happen to be negative thoughts or feelings. However on here people dont take well to critisisms of the club or players and seem to wear rose coloured glasses with most issues. This blind optimism may have something to do with the number of "younger supporters" on here as mentioned above. The site is also overly administrated in that respect. You can barely say boo about a player or coach without the post being deleted.

The personal abuse on Ology is entertaining but probably over the top sometimes.

I mostly liked the YM, I thought he was harmless & fun.

Agreed. Good for the site.

The absence of Y_M is one of the big reasons this site has gotten bigger and better in the last year or so.

He was easily the most entertaining poster here, and actually is something of a legend at bigfooty (that should tell you something), but as others have said when he turned on players he was a disgrace. There's absolutely NO room for self-serving, ego-stroking hate-mongering here... and to give us an idea of how bad it became with this guy, he's now not on 'ology so much either. Even THEY got sick of him. The Bruce hared was the big thing. And to prove he was harmful, the abuse has basically stopped on both sites. He was a ringleader for the misbehaviour here, and he had to make himself scarce.

Generally i feel you are free to express youre opinions on 'Ology even if they happen to be negative thoughts or feelings. However on here people dont take well to critisisms of the club or players and seem to wear rose coloured glasses with most issues. This blind optimism may have something to do with the number of "younger supporters" on here as mentioned above. The site is also overly administrated in that respect. You can barely say boo about a player or coach without the post being deleted.

The personal abuse on Ology is entertaining but probably over the top sometimes.

I posted something to this effect over there. And while the site IS over administered here, I think that's kind of a good thing, especially when you see some of the mud-slinging going on at 'ology. They have the freedom of expression, we have a better atmosphere for new timid posters. I think it works in a lot of ways.

Your post shows true with most of your others.

I often take issue with many of your posts because they offer nothing than a puerile snipe at the club.

Try offering something more.

What you see as blind optimism, I see as rational thinking rather than overemotional unconstructive criticism.

And we still get our fair share of that, only it is less abusive.

Youthful optimistic supporters vs older jaded supporters?

I think in either case a dose of realism or pragmatism is needed, but rarely taken.

I've stopped posting on Ology because I'm sick of the petty, vindictive snipers that permeate the site. I don't mind a heated debate, I’ve enjoyed posting there but now there are too many that aren’t even remotely interested in the subject line and just go straight for the poster, irrespective of what he says.

I guess it’s because of the limited number of posters there and the same old same old that goes on day after day. It also makes it difficult to put anything up without considering all possibilities and angles, even the most innocuous thread can turn in to World War 3. Whether it’s because the posters are older and crankier I’m not sure but I guess it doesn’t help.

The Moderators don’t help either, some posts are deleted and other ones that could be considered more offensive are left alone.

Hopefully Tim the owner will get better and some new blood will course through the site but I don’t know if even that will be enough.

Your post shows true with most of your others.

I often take issue with many of your posts because they offer nothing than a puerile snipe at the club.

Try offering something more.

What you see as blind optimism, I see as rational thinking rather than overemotional unconstructive criticism.

And we still get our fair share of that, only it is less abusive.

Youthful optimistic supporters vs older jaded supporters?

I think in either case a dose of realism or pragmatism is needed, but rarely taken.

Well youre reply rings true to what i said in my original post. If you arent being optimistic unemotional and "constructive" youre opinions arent welcome on here and they are seen as purely being a "snipe" at the club.

If i honestly believe a lot of our players,coaches or tactics are not up to scratch then shouldnt i be able to say that bluntly if i want to, without having to sugar coat it? If I observe fundamental deficiencies in certain players that are harming our team do i have to ignore it purely because they wear our jumper and other peple here idolise them? I would have thought people expect more considering the level of emotion, support and money we all put into the club. I would have thought Melbourne supporters have the right to be jaded anyway. I dont shy away form that.

Where do you draw the line between being rational and being negligent?

Some very astute posters on Ology that have a habbit of making you think hard.

3 years of trying to (re)join. Funnily enough I think I did join ~6 years ago, but forgot my credentials.

Land has been a boon for the club (imo) in consolidating our web presence.

You can express your opinion on ology alright, but expect to be pounced on for doing so by some abusive, puerile prat. Their site has hardly any interesting threads at the moment and very few posters. I would guess that the stagnant membership has more old warhorses - and I mean very long-time members as well as elderly ones - than this one. Yes, I sense that on balance there is more baseless optimism on this site, and far more puerile drivel on the other. On the whole, I much prefer this site to be a part of, but still enjoy having a look at ology.

Well youre reply rings true to what i said in my original post. If you arent being optimistic unemotional and "constructive" youre opinions arent welcome on here and they are seen as purely being a "snipe" at the club.

If i honestly believe a lot of our players,coaches or tactics are not up to scratch then shouldnt i be able to say that bluntly if i want to, without having to sugar coat it? If I observe fundamental deficiencies in certain players that are harming our team do i have to ignore it purely because they wear our jumper and other peple here idolise them? I would have thought people expect more considering the level of emotion, support and money we all put into the club. I would have thought Melbourne supporters have the right to be jaded anyway. I dont shy away form that.

Where do you draw the line between being rational and being negligent?

And if we disagree shouldn't we be allowed to say so. Suck it up princess. Say what you want but don't expect everyone to agree. You could try backing up your opinions with reasons, just saying Brad Miller sucks 100 times adds nothing to the debate.

And if we disagree shouldn't we be allowed to say so. Suck it up princess. Say what you want but don't expect everyone to agree. You could try backing up your opinions with reasons, just saying Brad Miller sucks 100 times adds nothing to the debate.

Im more than happy for people to disagree and i expect it now, however rather than people disagreeing with "reason and opinion" i constantly simply get told not to post if i dont have anything optimistic or positive to say (which i sometimes do anyway). I was just highlighting that as a negative about this site, which is what the topic was about.

P.S Do i really need to give people reasons as to why Miller sucks? surely its plain for everyone to see and there is nothing more to debate on the issue....

Edited by stranga

Im more than happy for people to disagree and i expect it now, however rather than people disagreeing with "reason and opinion" i constantly simply get told not to post if i dont have anything optimistic or positive to say (which i sometimes do anyway). I was just highlighting that as a negative about this site, which is what the topic was about.

P.S Do i really need to give people reasons as to why Miller sucks? surely its plain for everyone to see and there is nothing more to debate on the issue....

Well, if there is nothing to debate on that issue and it's plain for everyone to see, why mention it in the first place !!??

i think you, like a few others don't take in the COC to be honest. if you can't adhere to the rules you probably belong at O'logy.

Edited by Grimes to Watts