Dunn to play forward

jayceebee31

Been told that Dunny will play a more prominant role as a forward this year to cover the loss of LJ and enhance the forward line somewhat,making it more flexible with reasonable talls till Watts can fulfill his role and LJ returns... At practice today, Dunn & Newton were the best at kicking practice.Dunn started his career as a forward and this role may help out with a forward line like this:

HF: SYLVIA MILLER BATE

FF: DAVEY DUNN GREEN with a rotation of Sylvia, Green, Bate & Miller at full forward for a time within a game.

Davey may rotate with Wonaeamirri when fit and in form.What do you think?

Someone may have mentioned this already as I haven't read all posts on this thread but you left out Petterd who has kicked 8 in the last two weeks. Your rotation idea is probably on the mark and Maric may also be added to the forward pocket mix as might Bruce say to a flank. Even Morton on his return could play on a flank or deeper occasionally with his pace and height used to advantage.I have always thought Dunn more suited to a forward role than tagging and now with our new mid fielders he is not needed there.

The frustrating one for me is Newton. Now off the list and out of my thoughts for the future he is still around and with a couple of injuries and Watts not yet ready may still get another chance. I always kept hoping that he would produce but he never did. Maybe this is Juice's last hurrah. I wish him the best as we need more options up forward. I am not holding my breath but I always felt that if he could have one good game it could start him off, sadly he never had that one good game.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone may have mentioned this already as I haven't read all posts on this thread but you left out Petterd who has kicked 8 in the last two weeks. Your rotation idea is probably on the mark and Maric may also be added to the forward pocket mix as might Bruce say to a flank. Even Morton on his return could play on a flank or deeper occasionally with his pace and height used to advantage.I have always thought Dunn more suited to a forward role than tagging and now with our new mid fielders he is not needed there.

The frustrating one for me is Newton. Now off the list and out of my thoughts for the future he is still around and with a couple of injuries and Watts not yet ready may still get another chance. I always kept hoping that he would produce but he never did. Maybe this is Juice's last hurrah. I wish him the best as we need more options up forward. I am not holding my breath but I always felt that if he could have one good game it could start him off, sadly he never had that one good game.

So true re Newton.With regards to Petterd, I did not forget him, however he may play Half forward or forward pocket.Or wing or even run through the middle at times. There is one thing for sure,without tanking, we will be able to experience more changes thus development this year because of injuries. Will have to wait for a settled side later in the year or next year.However, watch us go when we do.

Danny Hughes has the abiltity to play forward in the AFL...

ig he stays fit and is given a go

prefer him over newton (forever) and Fitzpatrick (at the moment)

The kid has a serious X Factor, can take a grab, and is competitive

You could be right and he seems to have a good attitude out on the ground from what I saw of him with Casey ,however he is a totally different size to Newton and Fitzpratick. There are probably a few of his size in the MFC line up that are ahead of him.Sylvia is one that springs to mind also Green that would be superior up forward.

You could be right and he seems to have a good attitude out on the ground from what I saw of him with Casey ,however he is a totally different size to Newton and Fitzpratick. There are probably a few of his size in the MFC line up that are ahead of him.Sylvia is one that springs to mind also Green that would be superior up forward.

Petterd's probably another, but there's plenty of room to field all four in the same side, as Green and Sylvia are already frequently play further up the ground.

Geez - Look at Dunn for what he is - in the forward line he is avg (being kind) overhead and will always look for a cheap free (in fact will look for a cheap free anywhere over the ground). His weakness is he relies on fancy moves rather than putting his head over the ball (Quote Mark Riley when at the MFC) and you can translate that into the forward line. He's been at the club for a number of years now. He'd be in the forward line if he had the goods and he's not. Bailey hasn't missed anything. He'll get time down forward because the options are diminishing but dont get too excited. Ricky Petterd will kick twice the goals because he has twice the application even if half the talent. I dont doubt Dunn will give 100% but he is what he is and doesn't find the footy (would like to add yet).

Excellent summary of Dunn the forward and the footballer.

Too many elements missing from a KPP. Despite what people think of ND and DB, they ain't stupid. We needed a forward badly and Dunn would've been in the forward line if he had the goods.

With Jurrah going down, pushing Dunn forward is desperate measures but worth a go i guess but I'm holding more hope of winning Powerball next week.

Reading 'Ology on this topic you would think we follow a different club and are talking about a different Dunn.

Plenty there think he has what it takes - I hope he gets a crack up forward because he is better than that run-with role. With he and Petterd we could surprise.

Excellent summary of Dunn the forward and the footballer.

Too many elements missing from a KPP. Despite what people think of ND and DB, they ain't stupid. We needed a forward badly and Dunn would've been in the forward line if he had the goods.

With Jurrah going down, pushing Dunn forward is desperate measures but worth a go i guess but I'm holding more hope of winning Powerball next week.

I am prepared to give Dunn a Full Chance up Forward with Decent Delivery from the Midfield....

Once the Delivery is more precise guys like Dunn, Petterd & Bate will start to Shine-Dunn is a better Footballer than what many here rate.

Let's rate him at seasons end once the midfield starts to fire.

From memory he played a half a dozen or so games forward very early in his career. He kicked a few goals, and I think went on a run there for a while kicking at least one every game. But some points should be explained here... He has a lot of elements missing from a KP forward's game. He doesn't take pack marks, or many overhead marks. Doesn't clear space in the Neitz sense of the word. He is a very pretty kick, and is tall, but other than that there's really not been much to suggest he's got what it takes.

That said, we all know how long the tall ones take, and I don't know about you guys but I had to wait til I was in my mid twenties before I realised how much fun it is to take and dish out the big hits. When he figures out that he is, in fact, a big boy... his professionalism and footy brain will give him the impetus to be able to improve on his weaknesses. I don't think we'd ever have an 80 goal FF on our hands, but he doesn't necessarily need to be that. Just be a target, straighten us up, and clear some space.

One thing in his favour is that I seem to remember his kicking a lot of goals on the run and a reasonably way out. He is an excellent kick for his size and has good speed. I think when we have Watts, Jurrah etc in our forward half i think he would make an excellent mobile, but big HFF or wing. Even forward pocket as a third tall forward or even crumber. I think his basic skills are excellent - clean hands, speed, and accurate kicking. He has too many potentially attacking weapons to use as a stopper as he has over the last two or three seasons.

This is his opportunity to show us what he is made of, but it would cruel him to be put in a key position like FF or CHF. His potential is elsewhere, and that is where he should be used.

Edited by 2014-Flag

Sound like Dunn played a good game on the wing yesterday.- maybe we should keep him there and just try to get the ball into the forward line.As for a tall forward -wow anyone at this time should be tried...maybe the resting ruckman, with Bruce or GHreen along side..

Edited by jayceebee31

Sound like Dunn played a good game on the wing yesterday.- maybe we should keep him there and just try to get the ball into the forward line.As for a tall forward -wow anyone at this time should be tried...maybe the resting ruckman, with Bruce or GHreen along side..

I dont' know who told you that. Dunn was poor. Looked completely lost in the midfield. Never in the right position. And his skills were, as usual, sub-par.

If we are going to persist with Dunn, it must be as a forward only. He is borderline useless in the midfield

I dont' know who told you that. Dunn was poor. Looked completely lost in the midfield. Never in the right position. And his skills were, as usual, sub-par.

If we are going to persist with Dunn, it must be as a forward only. He is borderline useless in the midfield

If his skills were sub par in the midfield what does he bring to the forwardline? He wont get an easy kick there.

If his skills were sub par in the midfield what does he bring to the forwardline? He wont get an easy kick there.

What he brings to the forward line is the ability to hit the side of a barn with his kicking, a good engine for running and tackling, and a bit of ball-winning ability. While I agree he's never shown anything overhead, when he started out in the forward line (many years ago) he showed a good knack for outpositioning players, in particular forcing them under the ball and then turning and running on with it. Given his greater bulk, I can't see that having changed now. I would love to see him have an extended run up forward to see if he can't show us a little more of what he had in the beginning of his career (remember when they were talking him up as the next David Neitz?).

I didn't say he'd be any good... Just that if he's selected he should be playing as a forward, more so to get him out of the midfield. But IMO he shouldn't be playing.

I thought he was tagging Masten yesterday. I just don't see the point anymore of playing him as a tagger at 192cms when he would be useful to try and straighten us up. We have improved our mid field and he can't be part of the plan there so for heaven's sake move him forward and give him a try. We will end like we did against Geelong 2 years ago in that night game where Aussie was the only forward against Scarlett and a couple of others and we didn't score the whole bloody night. I can see a repeat with Maric as the only forward.

With the injuries we are at point desperation as far as the forward line goes.

Wow...

Sylvia and Jurrah and Wonaeamirri and Morton out...

Bate coming back from injury... Watts being eased back too...

Notwishstanding Petterd and Green playing leadup and useful medium forward roles,

Miller and Dunn are our key forwards.

Of course we are all apprehensive, but on the plus side, these next eight weeks or so ought to tell us, once and for all, what Miller and Dunn can each offer.

It's a pretty weak silver lining, but by the split round we'll know for sure the fate of both of these two, come the end of year.

What I can't help noticing is that, is Green goes forward too, it is practically our forward line for three or four years ago, minus Neitz and Robbo.

Let's face it, if you subtracted those two from any team in our last decade, we'd be in serious trouble.

I'm finding this a cathartic thought process.