Game Day: Melbourne v Essendon

DemonDing

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like an improved performance on last week, which, to be honest, was to be expected.

Inaccuracy in front of goal is a bummer but we've been OK since quarter time.

Keep the reports coming people, any info's good info!

Edit: Currently, 227 people are viewing this thread. That's got to be a pre-season record!

Edited by titan_uranus

Had to leave mid-way through the third, but some things I noticed from while I was there.

- Stefan Martin is essentially what Al Nicholson would have been like had he played in the forward line from the start of his career. Yuck.

- Miller led well and plays like a leader.

- Sylvia, Jones and Moloney lead the way in the middle.

- Grimes is a superstar.

- Trengove looks like he's been playing for 10 years. Didn't do anything sensational, but he looks like he feels at home.

- Scully didn't do much.

- Jurrah is very unselfish: passes the ball when he needs to and knows he probably won't score a goal. Isn't a show pony.

- Petterd had a nice game.

When I watch this team, I get the impression that they're genuinely learning as they play. 2007 and 2008 were just bad all-round years. 2009 was a mixed-bag: some promising signs, but bad overall football. Now, it's quite obvious how inexperienced this side is. It's more evident than either of the past two years. For every 1-2 brilliant things that Grimes, Trengove, Scully did, they did 1-2 small mistakes. It's as if they get the ball and know exactly what they want to do with it, but they just turn in the wrong direction, directly into traffic. That's just a matter of learning more and becoming more aware of your surroundings.

Really, really promising signs.

Edited by calabreseboy

Had to leave mid-way through the third, but some things I noticed from while I was there.

- Stefan Martin is essentially what Al Nicholson would have been like had he played in the forward line from the start of his career. Yuck.

- Miller led well and plays like a leader.

- Sylvia, Jones and Moloney lead the way in the middle.

- Grimes is a superstar.

- Trengove looks like he's been playing for 10 years. Didn't do anything sensational, but he looks like he feels at home.

- Scully didn't do much.

- Jurrah is very unselfish: passes the ball when he needs to and knows he probably won't score a goal. Isn't a show pony.

- Petterd had a nice game.

When I watch this team, I get the impression that they're genuinely learning as they play. 2007 and 2008 were just bad all-round years. 2009 was a mixed-bag: some promising signs, but bad overall football. Now, it's quite obvious how inexperienced this side is. It's more evident than either of the past two years. For every 1-2 brilliant things that Grimes, Trengove, Scully did, they did 1-2 small mistakes. It's as if they get the ball and know exactly what they want to do with it, but they just turn in the wrong direction, directly into traffic. That's just a matter of learning more and becoming more aware of your surroundings.

Really, really promising signs.

Good summation although I disagree with a few points.

-Bests for mine were Grimes (by a mile), Sylvia, Jamar, Petterd and Frawley.

-Stefan Martin is not worth persevering with as anything but a defender.

-Jones and Bartram time and again ignore the first option and do too much.

- we have the worst kick out set up in the AFL. can someone explain why Frawley is kicking out?

-Scully, Gysberts and Trengove play as you would expect 18 year olds to play. Some nice glimpses but nothing more. Scully for mine was the best performed today. I would not have any of the three in my starting 22 for round 1 though based on today.

-Strauss was excellent as a small defender and disposed well when he got it. This is unlike Bennell who was loose and turned the ball over at every opportunity.

-Our forwardline again got caught pushing up to the middle. I look forward to when some of them have confidence dictate the play and plant themselves in the forward 50.

-Petterd played a good midsize forwards game kicked 4 should have kicked 6.

-Jurrah had no impact but I have a feeling he will switch it on when the real stuff is here.

-We were lost without Jamar in the ruck with majority of Essendons goals coming when he was rested.

-Morton was injured late in the game flying back into a pack. Had ice packed on his knee and looked in discomfort when walking to the room s afetr the game.

It was mentioned that we only had 1 player today who had played more than 100 games. Essendon were close to full strength and coming off a 2 week break compared to our 5 days. A vastly improved effort in both intensity and structures this week.

Edited by big_red_fire_engine

SHEEP STATIONS by Whispering Jack

Melbourne's pre season woes continued when the team lost its NAB Challenge match against Essendon by 40 points at Visy Park on Saturday and lost Cale Morton, Brent Moloney and Colin Sylvia to injury. However, the defeat was not a total disaster, the Demons were more than competitive for most of the game and, but for the fact that the teams weren't playing for sheep stations, they would surely have rued their early missed opportunities in front of goal

The game was won and lost in the first twenty minutes. Melbourne was on top for the first ten minutes but scored just five behinds with a couple of easy shots missed from close in and one or two touched or stopped on the line by Bomber veteran Dustin Fletcher. Then Essendon took over and kicked six straight including a couple that dribbled along the ground and bounced into goal. A little after the 20 minute mark of the first quarter the Bombers were more than five goals in front and that was basically where the two teams were at for most of the game until the last 10 minutes when the team with the fresher legs burst away and kicked a few in junk time.

The team that the Demons put on the park will in no way match what we will be seeing during the season proper and therefore the result of the game was completely irrelevant. Still, it's funny how the media get it wrong so often. Every report I read or heard about the Geelong v Richmond practice match started off with a rider about the Cats having half their best 18 missing. On the other hand, the fact that Melbourne had half of its best line up missing was overlooked in reports about this game.

The Bombers were fresher and had close to their best side with veteran Fletcher blanketing Liam Jurrah. The edge in experience, their stronger bodies and a solid attacking player in Pat Ryder was enough against an already inexperienced team that lined up without James McDonald, Brad Green and Aaron Davey. This left the Dees just one 100 game player in Brad Miller.

Still there were some highlights. Jack Grimes was outstanding with 32 possessions (11 in the third quarter), two goals and seven clearances. Ricky Petterd recovered after a wayward start to finish with four goals. Colin Sylvia was strong and the return of Mark Jamar which was significant.

One thing the media got hold of was the story of Essendon's big man dominance which was considered its weakness against West Coast. Notwithstanding, I thought Mark Jamar was the best of the ruckmen in a good first up performance. I thought Melbourne's midfield, which was so poor the week before, put in a highly creditable performance and, when the Russian was rucking to Grimes, the Demons looked particularly dangerous.

Daniel Bell (as a tagger), Nathan Jones at times, Joel Macdonald, Cale Morton and Addam Maric. Of the younger brigade, Tom Scully will be really good, Jack Trengove had his moments, Jordan Gysberts needs more time and James Strauss did some good things.

Disappointments were Stef Martin (who was scratchy up forward), Jamie Bennell (needs to work on his skill errors), Jurrah and Morton's knee injury late in the game.

All in all, an improved performance and it will be interesting to see how the group develops with the return of some of the club's more experienced and talented players in the weeks to come.

Melbourne 2.6.18 3.9.27 8.11.59 11.14.80

Essendon 6.1.37 8.5.53 12.8.80 18.12.120

Goals

Melbourne Petterd 4 Grimes 2 Bell Jones Jurrah Maric Martin

Essendon P Ryder 3 A Davey S Lonergan B Stanton J Watson 2 D Hille H Hocking M McVeigh A Monfries A Welsh M Williams J Winderlich

Best

Melbourne J Grimes M Jamar R Petterd C Sylvia N Jones T Scully J Trengove

Essendon D Fletcher C Dempsey J Watson P Ryder B Stanton A Davey

UmpiresR Findlay J Dalgleish T Keating S Wenn

Injuries

Essendon Nil

Melbourne Morton (knee), Brent Moloney (calf) Colin Sylvia (calf)

Reports Nil

Official crowd 3000 at Visy Park.

Does anyone know the extent of Mortons injury too his knee. Had the binoculars on him after the incident, his knee was bandaged and he looked a bit distressed. The incident was more a heavy collision so here's hoping its only bruising

-Our forwardline again got caught pushing up to the middle. I look forward to when some of them have confidence dictate the play and plant themselves in the forward 50.

Sigh...

-We were lost without Jamar in the ruck with majority of Essendons goals coming when he was rested.

I guess that means he played OK. Who else rucked, Martin?

-Morton was injured late in the game flying back into a pack. Had ice packed on his knee and looked in discomfort when walking to the room s afetr the game.

That's not good. Hopefully nothing serious.

It would be good to know how the Bombers lined up. They must have been fairly close to full strength. Foxsports is saying Hille was dominant and Ryder was good. I look forward to some of the reports from guys who were at the match today. How did Jamar and Martin go in the ruck, and if Hille had a blinder, did our midfielders show any signs of reading the opposition ruckman, which is what they are going to have to get good at if we lose Jamar to injury this year.

Sounds like we're at least now moving in the right direction in the pre-season. Great to hear Grimes was our BOG as he will be crucial to the club's immediate and long-term plans. A bit worrying that Scully went missing however..

Having Jamar back would've made a big difference. Once Bate returns to the forward line, an early win in the season is surely a chance.

I have reservations about Bailey placing so much emphasis on the first quarter. Our first quarter has rarely been a problem in recent years, it has been more a case of not being able to run out the rest of the game. Yes it's important to start well, but I take alot more heart from the fact we didn't let our heads drop and came back at the Bombers after they kicked the first 6 goals. Overall, not a bad result.

It would be good to know how the Bombers lined up. They must have been fairly close to full strength. Foxsports is saying Hille was dominant and Ryder was good. I look forward to some of the reports from guys who were at the match today. How did Jamar and Martin go in the ruck, and if Hille had a blinder, did our midfielders show any signs of reading the opposition ruckman, which is what they are going to have to get good at if we lose Jamar to injury this year.

Aside from missing Hurley and Neagle the Bombers were at full strength (I am sure I have forgotten someone). Hille was serviceable but Jamar for mine was the most dominant big man. Essendons run of five goals in 10 minutes in the first qtr was when Martin was in the ruck. Grimes work in the middle was outstanding particularly in the 3rd qtr.

Good summation although I disagree with a few points.

-Bests for mine were Grimes (by a mile), Sylvia, Petterd and Frawley.

-Stefan Martin is not worth persevering with as anything but a defender.

-Jones and Bartram time and again ignore the first option and do too much.

-Scully, Gysberts and Trengove play as you would expect 18 year olds to play. Some nice glimpses but nothing more. Scully for mine was the best performed today. I would not have any of the three in my starting 22 for round 1 though based on today.

-Strauss was excellent as a small defender and disposed well when he got it. This is unlike Bennell who was loose and turned the ball over at every opportunity.

-Petterd played a good midsize forwards game kicked 4 should have kicked 6.

-Jurrah had no impact but I have a feeling he will switch it on when the real stuff is here.

It was mentioned that we only had 1 player today who had played more than 100 games. Essendon were close to full strength and coming off a 2 week break compared to our 5 games. A vastly improved effort in both intensity and structures this week.

little harsh on Bennell. He did some great things. Gave us some run out of defence, his hands below his feet were really clean and in the most part his disposal was good. Most of all he was prepared to take the game on which is great for a kid

I have reservations about Bailey placing so much emphasis on the first quarter. Our first quarter has rarely been a problem in recent years, it has been more a case of not being able to run out the rest of the game. Yes it's important to start well, but I take alot more heart from the fact we didn't let our heads drop and came back at the Bombers after they kicked the first 6 goals. Overall, not a bad result.

I think it's more to do with the fact that we won only 8 first quarters last year. Hence in 14 matches we were playing catch up from quarter time onwards. We (as most teams do) play better in front than behind. Confidence goes out the window once your 5 goals down at quarter time, so, while finishing well is also important, I really want to see us get some first quarter wins under our belts this year.

Edit: And all four of our wins last year came when we won the first quarter.

Edited by titan_uranus