Matthew Lloyd's predictions

Demon3

On SEN this morning Matthew Lloyd was on talking about the most important players in each side that the club could ill afford to not be playing.

For Melbourne he said Scully & Trengove.

I for one find this insulting, ignorant and lazy. I know they are important for the club going forward, but honestly, that is laughable.

If that is what he is going to serve up all year, then he will be rubbish.

On SEN this morning Matthew Lloyd was on talking about the most important players in each side that the club could ill afford to not be playing.

I for one find this insulting, ignorant and lazy. I know they are important for the club going forward, but honestly, that is laughable.

Yes i heard that too,Lloyd is obviously an ignorant shallow tool.

Well siuted to the "Morning Glory" i might add.

Yes it is insulting to the club, but let us not forget outside this Website and our Members this club is not rated AT ALL.

Personally for 2010 i would put Aaron Davey & Sylvia in that category-they must step up and teach the young guys a lot.

Depends. How did he qualify it.

Was his reasoning that results aren't the be all so the quicker we pump games into Scully and Trengove, the better off we will be. Which is something i can't argue with.

or was his reasoning that Scully and Trengove needs to play because they ARE our best players and most likely to influence games which is a shockingly bad call.

Yeah, i would have thought Davey was the most important. Blind Freddie would know that, but apparently not "Matty".

i

Intersting to note that he was down at training last week.Source Hutch in last Sundays Sun.

Depends. How did he qualify it.

Was his reasoning that results aren't the be all so the quicker we pump games into Scully and Trengove, the better off we will be. Which is something i can't argue with.

or was his reasoning that Scully and Trengove needs to play because they ARE our best players and most likely to influence games which is a shockingly bad call.

I understand that, and i agree, they are important for the club, get games into them which will be great for the club, cant argue with that either (See Cale Morton). But i understood it to be which was the most important player a club could not afford to lose to injury or whatever which would affect the teams performance/results/season.

Good call / Bad Call

i think Horrendous call!

Edited by Demon3

In a push for a premiership, Melbourne needs an elite core of 7-8 players (plus plenty of other good ones). For me, the "elite core" will come from Davey, Watts, Jurrah, Scully, Trengove, Grimes, Garland, Frawley and Sylvia, possibly also from Blease, Strauss, Tapscott, Maric and Gysberts.

In the guts, Grimes, Scully and Trengove are critical. We can ill afford not to give them game time. Why is that laughable?

In a push for a premiership, Melbourne needs an elite core of 7-8 players (plus plenty of other good ones). For me, the "elite core" will come from Davey, Watts, Jurrah, Scully, Trengove, Grimes, Garland, Frawley and Sylvia, possibly also from Blease, Strauss, Tapscott, Maric and Gysberts.

In the guts, Grimes, Scully and Trengove are critical. We can ill afford not to give them game time. Why is that laughable?

i think you need to read what i wrote and what M Lloyd said Laurie.

Its laughable that a so called "expert" rates Scully and trengove as the two most important players we have already without playing a game.

And he does not think that a player like Davey, who is (in my opinion) our most valuable player in terms of all round game.

Skills - tick

Pace - tick

Leadreship - tick

footy smarts - tick

versatile - tick

a grade player - tick.

if we lost him for a large amount of time it would have a greater impact on our side that 2 18 year olds yet to show their wares in the big time.

For what its worth, i agree, we need to get time into them and that is probably close to our elite core group.

Fwiw, personally I didn't find it laughable, I found it surprising considering they are yet to debut. It's not so much about game time, wasn't it based on which two could the team ill afford not to play this year (as per OP)?

If you're talking the guts for 2010, I'd suggest the likes of Jones, Moloney, Grimes, Sylvia and Davey would be the main candidates this year with the "introduction" at times of Scully & Trengove.

Still, we can continue this minor point and go on, but I'd just as well let this season bloody well start.

Guest hangon007

Too many people are looking at this the wrong way. The important sentence was the one he didn't finish :wub:

What other recruiters thought about OUR kids and how high they rate them.

The glass is half full not half empty.

I actually agree with Lloyd, if he is talking about 2010 it is about development and we need these kids to play and improve. Beyond 2010 we need these two to become elite midfielders something we haven't had for a very long time.

Our club needs some stars not only reconized in our eyes but the entire footy community.

What would former a AFL captain, premiership player, Coleman Medallist with 270 games know about AFL?

Fancy the cheek of him. Unbelievable.

I did not hear the interview but I can understand how people rate the importance of Scully and Trengove.

Maurie is absolutely spot on. If MFC is going to successfully challenge for a flag in a couple of years time then Scully and Trengove are going to have to be champions and play like that where it counts most... in the guts. If either or both are just average players then it makes the already difficult path to a flag so much much further away.

They have to be better than any "champion" we have produced in the last 15 years.

Davey is a definitely a required player and is an important part of the list. Is he the most important player? No.

Davey is a classy finisher who provides a crucial skill level based on the hard work of others. I have not seen him break open games and dominate like champions in other Clubs. And until I see Davey show he can perform in September then he is not at the top level.

And Lloyd's choice of Trengove and Scully reflects where we really are. No actual stars/champions but loads of potential stars. I look forward to a number of them making it particularly Scully and Trengove

All LLoyd has done done is trot out the classic expectation. How much he actually knows about these two? Is he truly knowlegeable of these or is he recycling the popular conception ? This is he opening foray into a media career and hes playing safe.

out of ten id weigh his comments in at about 1

Maurie is absolutely spot on. If MFC is going to successfully challenge for a flag in a couple of years time then Scully and Trengove are going to have to be champions and play like that where it counts most... in the guts. If either or both are just average players then it makes the already difficult path to a flag so much much further away.

However, was M.Lloyd's opinion based on a couple of year's time or for season 2010 ?

Maurie's post was based on a flag in a couple of year's time or when we are pushing for a Premiership. I wouldn't have thought that would be the case in this, Scully's and Trengove's first year (season 2010) where they will be introduced to the midfield.

However, was M.Lloyd's opinion based on a couple of year's time or for season 2010 ?

Maurie's post was based on a flag in a couple of year's time or when we are pushing for a Premiership. I wouldn't have thought that would be the case in this, Scully's and Trengove's first year (season 2010) where they will be introduced to the midfield.

I still think every day they are in an MFC jumper (for the next 10 years at least!) is important. Their development is as important as what they deliver in a few years. Its one and the same thing.

We allegedly dogged a number of games last year to get them. How important are they again? They are vital.

FWIW, you could have also included Watts. But I think Scully and Trengove are key to our blue print of success.

On SEN this morning Llyod was on talking about the most important players in each side that the club could ill afford to not be playing .

Again if this is based on 2010 alone. I find it surprising (*not laughable*) that's all.

I still think every day they are in an MFC jumper (for the next 10 years at least!) is important.

Their development is as important as what they deliver in a few years. Its one and the same thing.

No doubt. But if the comment above is in relation who can you "ill-afford to not play" based on success in 2010 ?

If the discussion was based on down the track (ie. who are the two they could not afford to lose to the GC or WS or to free-trade), then fair enough. I haven't heard the discussion either.

We allegedly dogged a number of games last year to get them. How important are they again? They are vital.

FWIW, you could have also included Watts. But I think Scully and Trengove are key to our blue print of success.

Agree. Could probably also include Grimes, Jurrah.

Anyway, my point is very small in the scheme of things, bring the footy on.

Lloyd has never had claim to being the sharpest knife in the drawer.

This comment, like Crawford's in the Hun, reflects nothing more than received wisdom.

There's no great insight from either of them. Talented players, but who said that makes an expert on all clubs?

Neither offers anything more than you'd find with two minutes research in a public bar anywhere in south east Australia.

Waste of space, as are most football personal columns including sheedy malthouse except for the occasional controversy.

No doubt. But if the comment above is in relation to success in 2010 ?

I am not sure it is. But I still think they are soo important even this year. 2010 is nothing if it is not part of our future.

Agree. Could probably also include Grimes, Jurrah.

Yes. Who knows what Jurrah will be? He will either be something special or he might be a small period wonder.

Grimes is could also be included. If he is better than Scully and Trengove and they are the fulfillment of their potential then we will have ourselves a side.