Sam Blease

big tuna

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/newsart...47/default.aspx

Good to hear he is finally back running and kicking after such a long time out. Sounds like he could not have broken a worse bone in his body given his recovery time. MFC will probably nurse him along this year so I don't expect him to play too many games in 2010.

I hope his dirkhead mate that slung him down realises how far he set Sam back in footy & schoolwork in what was a crucial time in his life. At some stage in the future AFL clubs will take full control of kids once they are drafted and give them private tutors or minders to protect their investment from stupid accidents like this.

By the sounds of the break it's a 2 year injury. I'd be bracing for a setback with this kind of damage. Luckily he's young but I can't see him really getting going until at least 2011 - 2012. Of course I could be wrong.

From Gray's Anatomy. 'The fibula is placed on the lateral side of the tibia, with which it is connected above and below. It is the smaller of the two bones, and, in proportion to its length, the most slender of all the long bones.' So it's not the major load bearing bone. I hope that makes a difference.

I remember Michael Voss's broken leg in June 1998. That was a shocker. Yet he returned to football in round 2 2009, despite being in great pain.

Edited by DirtyDees DDC

From Gray's Anatomy. 'The fibula is placed on the lateral side of the tibia, with which it is connected above and below. It is the smaller of the two bones, and, in proportion to its length, the most slender of all the long bones.' So it's not the major load bearing bone. I hope that makes a difference.

I remember Michael Voss's broken leg in June 1998. That was a shocker. Yet he returned to football in round 2 2009, despite being in great pain.

That's quite a layoff. He returned after he'd retired. :lol:

By the sounds of the break it's a 2 year injury. I'd be bracing for a setback with this kind of damage. Luckily he's young but I can't see him really getting going until at least 2011 - 2012. Of course I could be wrong.

Don't worry, Blease only broke his Fibula.

I shattered my Tibia & Fibula bones years ago in a motorcycle accident, the Tibia was in 3 pieces, the Fibula broken clean through also & it healed via a cast type imobilisation. in a spliced type of overlapped way. I can run & jump.

Garry Lyon broke his Tib & Fib in his early days, he's OK.

Blease has had access to the best of Doctors, he'll be fine, its only the fibula. The doctors told me that sometimes they harvested the Fibula bone at times when a persons body was so broken they'd use the fibula bone to replace other bone parts.

Here's some info :- http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/826304-overview

Edited by dee-luded

Thanks for the link.

I really hope that the broken leg doesn't effect him too much in the long run.

Thankfully, although it's a major injury, it's not likely to be a reoccuring injury like soft tissue injuries are.

Looking forward to seeing him on the field in 2010.

Reason for edit: Irrelevant post deleted and subsequent replies.

Oh thank god!!

For once a moderator put an end to your anal retentive persona.

I think a critical element has been left out of this statement.

But even still, I think he'll be more like Ryan Griffen.

I think we all understand what he was saying.

There must be another Ryan Griffen in the AFL, you can't be talking about the one from the Bulldogs.

Edited by Mr Morton

Oh thank god!!

For once a moderator put an end to your anal retentive persona.

Its not my fault you made a thread when there already was one.

I merely pointed it out. I've no idea what your petty comeback was as its been removed, but I think you'll find the moderator actually made my post irrelevant because they fixed your error and subsequent carry on.

Little do I care.

Re: Griffen

I think Griffen is a good enough kick, good penetration, but there is more to it than just kicking long and he's not always the most adept at picking out the correct option.

Hopefully Blease is even better.

My point was not about Griffen's kicking, moreso that I hope Blease is better than Griffen, better, even, than Ablett.

BUT at the moment we have very little to go on, so I'll be happy to let him do a preseason and assess when I see him play some games.

Edited by Keyser Söze

What's wrong with Griffen's kicking?

Griffen doesn't impact games enough yet, but he's a wonderful kick.

Interesting that you used the word "yet" because some of my Bulldog supporter friends believe that he is fairly laid back in his attitude, that it's part of his make up and that he won't change because he lacks intensity. He'll always be a player who's hot when he's on but most of the time will just go with the flow.

As for Sam Blease, I've heard he's very focussed and very "coachable". Good assets for an individual to have and I wish him good luck.

Blease Interview Part 2:

When you were drafted, your pace and kicking were rated among your best attributes. Would you agree with that?

I think my kicking and pace are my main attributes. I did my first lot of sprints the other day and I wasn't any slower than before I broke my leg, so that's positive. I've just started my kicking again and that feels pretty good at the moment, so hopefully I can keep improving on my endurance, so I should be right to go.

Great news!

I concur-this kid is a gun- when he gains confidence & stamina watch him go- to me he was the pick of 2008.

Edited by jayceebee31

Its not my fault you made a thread when there already was one.

I merely pointed it out. I've no idea what your petty comeback was as its been removed, but I think you'll find the moderator actually made my post irrelevant because they fixed your error and subsequent carry on.

Little do I care.

Re: Griffen

I think Griffen is a good enough kick, good penetration, but there is more to it than just kicking long and he's not always the most adept at picking out the correct option.

Hopefully Blease is even better.

My point was not about Griffen's kicking, moreso that I hope Blease is better than Griffen, better, even, than Ablett.

BUT at the moment we have very little to go on, so I'll be happy to let him do a preseason and assess when I see him play some games.

No pressure Sam!!