• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

John Northey

Dappa Dan

I have a question for the older heads around the traps.

Looking at the Neale Daniher axing from a few years ago, I was wondering how a relatively similar coach (in terms of tenure, success and respect) was let go? Were there fireworks? Drama? Or was it kind of the right time?

Random question, I know, but what the hell else are we going to talk about? Jack Watts' virus?

Looking at the Neale Daniher axing from a few years ago, I was wondering how a relatively similar coach (in terms of tenure, success and respect) was let go? Were there fireworks? Drama? Or was it kind of the right time?

Random question, I know, but what the hell else are we going to talk about? Jack Watts' virus?

His message lost its punch and RFC offered him tenure. He was good at his peak but very and probably too much "career orientated" always looking for the next big thing

His message lost its punch and RFC offered him tenure. He was good at his peak but very and probably too much "career orientated" always looking for the next big thing

He's the best coach we've had since Smith. Finals 5 years in a row, a GF and a very unlucky 3rd. Interstingly, I thought his best year was 1990, when we finished 4th and went out in disappointing fashion to the Eagles at Waverley. That year we went 16 and 6 which in most other years of the final 5 would have got us close to top, but ended up 4th on percentage. We beat top side Essendon twice (including at Windy Hill) and beat Hawthorn in back to back weeks (Round 22 and Elim final). The final win over them ended their run of successive Grand Finals which began in 1983. That was the year we were genuinely good enough to win it.

His message did seem to begin to wear a bit thin after 1990, and we plodded into the finals the following year on the back of a great season from Stynes and the best half a season I've ever seen from any player in Allen Jakovich. By the end of 1992 we needed a rebuild and Northey took a better from the Tigers. He certainly gave me my best moments as a Demon fan - Round 22 87 and the next couple of weeks after that.

There wasn't much acrimony at his departure - I remember there being quite a bit of excitement at the arrival of Neil Balme, who had a great record with Norwood and the Eagles in the SANFL.

John Northey was fantastic-i agree with WD above. He should always be made welcome at the MFC

1987 and 90 were very special. Beating Hawthorn twice in 2 weeks was something no other team got close to.

The Filth owe us a bit for that flag (and they know it) They regularly got belted and i mean belted by the hawks of those days.

I rate Northey Higher than ND, only just but John was bigger on defense and tackling. Those Demon sides weren't so Flashy, but we were tough.

He's the best coach we've had since Smith. Finals 5 years in a row, a GF and a very unlucky 3rd. Interstingly, I thought his best year was 1990, when we finished 4th and went out in disappointing fashion to the Eagles at Waverley. That year we went 16 and 6 which in most other years of the final 5 would have got us close to top, but ended up 4th on percentage. We beat top side Essendon twice (including at Windy Hill) and beat Hawthorn in back to back weeks (Round 22 and Elim final). The final win over them ended their run of successive Grand Finals which began in 1983. That was the year we were genuinely good enough to win it.

His message did seem to begin to wear a bit thin after 1990, and we plodded into the finals the following year on the back of a great season from Stynes and the best half a season I've ever seen from any player in Allen Jakovich. By the end of 1992 we needed a rebuild and Northey took a better from the Tigers. He certainly gave me my best moments as a Demon fan - Round 22 87 and the next couple of weeks after that.

There wasn't much acrimony at his departure - I remember there being quite a bit of excitement at the arrival of Neil Balme, who had a great record with Norwood and the Eagles in the SANFL.

Absolutely my biggest regret in 50 years a Demon . Should have at least , AT LEAST played off in the Gf in 1990.Can't remember the details of Northey's departure don't recall there being a lot of angst.

I remember Northey as a player and as our coach. He was a nuisance at half-forward for the Toygs... and a very good coach for us. He was very good instilling the "us v's them" mentality in the sides he coached. He got battlers to play for eachother and the guernsey. He left us when we didn't give him the offer he wanted (but we did give him an offer!) I was sorry to see him go. He gave us our first finals experience in my adulthood, and bought us closer to the ultimate success than anyone since Smith. I liked Daniher... but Northey got everyone playing for him.

Under Northey we were always considered a "blue collar" side by the media, even though we had a damn good team including Lyon, Brett Lovett, Stynes, Jakovich, Flower (for 2 years), Brian Wilson to name a few. We were considered battlers punching above our weight.

But he seemed to get the very best out of players some may have considered ordinary and in this respect Jamie Duursma comes especially to mind. I think he came to us from the Swans via the Bears with little reputation but under Northey's coaching became a reliable CHB. I remember him seeing off Sticks Kernahan in one final quite convincingly. Dean Sharon (spelling???) the little back pocket was another journeyman who played well for us under Northey.

Before joining Melbourne, Northey was coach of Sydney for a time but was sacked because he lacked charisma!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My take on John Northey was and remains this:

He is the man who gave our club back its self respect.

I don't think there's any higher praise possible. Best coach since N Smith no doubt.

I don't recall any anguish when he left - Balme was supposed to be the next big thing. Well, he was big anyway.

Garry Lyon in his book says 1990 was the year that they should have won. That day at Waverley was a disaster. Should have flogged the Eagles.

After beating Hawthorn in tough hard games for two weeks, by half time at waverly the team had nothing left in the tank-even with the week off. But we were a chance.

Always wished we had played the pies that september. It would have been on.

Under Northey we were always considered a "blue collar" side by the media, even though we had a damn good team including Lyon, Brett Lovett, Stynes, Jakovich, Flower (for 2 years), Brian Wilson to name a few. We were considered battlers punching above our weight.

But he seemed to get the very best out of players some may have considered ordinary and in this respect Jamie Duursma comes especially to mind. I think he came to us from the Swans via the Bears with little reputation but under Northey's coaching became a reliable CHB. I remember him seeing off Sticks Kernahan in one final quite convincingly. Dean Sharon (spelling???) the little back pocket was another journeyman who played well for us under Northey.

Before joining Melbourne, Northey was coach of Sydney for a time but was sacked because he lacked charisma!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chiron

After beating Hawthorn in tough hard games for two weeks, by half time at waverly the team had nothing left in the tank-even with the week off. But we were a chance.

Sort of contradicts itself doesn't it?

We blew it at Waverley that day. We showed very little character that day. We were down 10 goals to 2 at half time. It was an embarrassing performance from a side that needed to stand up that day but didn't. If we could not beat the Weagles there then we were pretenders in the most open flag race for many years.

We blew it at Waverley that day. We showed very little character that day. We were down 10 goals to 2 at half time. It was an embarrassing performance from a side that needed to stand up that day but didn't. If we could not beat the Weagles there then we were pretenders in the most open flag race for many years.

Oh yeah we blew it alright. But i remember Brereton saying after the second win, that he knew that was our grand final.

we had given 110% against hawthorn and had nothing left. I think he was right.

The 2nd game especially was brutal.

Garry Lyon in his book says 1990 was the year that they should have won. That day at Waverley was a disaster. Should have flogged the Eagles.

How quickly we can forget! (Me anyway). I was really enjoying going through our matches in 1990 on the AFL website UNTIL I came to Round 14. North Melb 31.14 def Melb 10.13!!!!!!!! John Longmire kicking 14 .2!!! How did this happen? Our % went from a healthy 119.3% to a struggling 106.9%. This was a season defining loss and the damage to our % cost us the chance of 1st place. This would have saved us the tough task of having to beat Hawthorn TWICE in two weeks. Funny how I remembered these two games against the Hawks but not the North Melbourne game. Convenient loss of memory I guess. I agree with most of you that Northey was a very talented coach of the MFC and we were unlucky not to have snared at least one flag during his time.

I rate Northey the most effective coach Melbournes has had since Norm Smith

He was unlucky not to have ultimate success

He was from the Tom Hafey era and the attitude was us against them

Northey was a no frills coach that just demanded hard work to get results

The signature long sleeved #9 was an excellent crumbing half forward hence the nickname of Swooper

last time i heard he was coaching Ballarat

Northey along with many Richmond players under Hafey went on to become a senior coach

Hart , Bartlett , Sproule , Bourke , Stewart , Jewell , Richardson , Patterson , Balme

Sheedy and Malthouse being the most successful

I did the stats for the club in that time and it was the best chance we had at the flag despite GF appearances in 88 and 2000 ( which wasn't under NOrthey)

Just for the record, and nothing to do with footy per se, but on a trip back from Sydney one year Northey told me I had the best filled out Demon tshirt he had seen.. lol

I believe he was our best coach since NS but lets hope that our current coach can get us the results we really want!! I beleive he has the right ideas and hopefully this bunch of players will get us over the line and on the dais collecting the cup!!

Especially disappointing Rhino since from memory we had beaten West Coast in Perth just a few weeks before the end of the season. Gary Lyon pulled out before the game and the other players just didn't step up.

Good point loges. We really blew it. On that performance we did not deserve to be there. A wasted opportunity.

We struggled from the opening bounce after Worsfold ran through Brett Lovett and put him out of action, Bret had been our best player for the year if I recall correctly. We were 6 goals behind at quarter time and still that behind at the final siren.

Northey was a very good and very underrated coach and it was a shame when he left but I guess we wanted a change and thought that Balme would be better. He wasn't.

As I remember it, the WCE completely threw us with their 'switching' style of play, criss-crossing the ground to continually set up loose players. in the first half we were totally left behind, totally incapable of stopping or checking their fast ball movement. at the scoreboard end a big fat wce guy kept yelling abuse amidst a sea of r and blue demon supporters.