• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

TROY BROADBRIDGE DAY

Demonland

Tomorrow is the fifth anniversary of the tsunami that rocked the lands bordering on the Indian Ocean and killed hundreds of thousands. A number of Australians also perished that day including our own Troy Broadbridge.

We ask Demonlanders to pass their respects to Troy on this day. Unless it's big news we prefer that new threads are not opened in this section except those in honour of Troy.

Whispering Jack has written his personal tribute:

BY THE RIVERS DARK by Whispering Jack

It took only the blink of an eye for five years to pass. The warmth of the distant sun that left when Troy Broadbridge was taken by the ocean has returned, life has gone on and once or twice a year we remember.

I always connect Troy's passing with that of Paul Hester, drummer for Crowded House. Hester was a Demon fan, who on 26 March, 2005 took his life in the same park in Elwood where my grandchildren play. I remember hearing the sad news just as we were driving by the Elwood Canal. We were on our way to the Troy Broadbridge Tribute Game at the MGC so, in the end, we celebrated two lives on the one night.

It was just a game of footy but we were proud of our team that night. I still remember the elation and the emotion of the victory and, after that, the boys fought hard over the next year or two; they made the finals and occasionally looked the goods but then it all fell away.

Today, I'm full of hope that the new decade and the club's young talent will bring about regeneration. The warmth of the distant sun returned after Troy's passing and the same will happen some day soon with the footy team of which he was so proud to be a part.

From time to time, I still remember the little things about Troy. There was one night when still a rookie and he was working behind the bar at the Bentleigh Club while they were showing a big screen telecast of a game that Melbourne was playing interstate. Troy was smiling, serving the punters, some of them quite rude and others touching on the borderline of having one too many.

We had a chat late in the evening when things had settled after the game was over (we lost). He told me how the experience working at the Bentleigh Club taught him the importance of responsible behaviour for those times when he was on the other side of the bar.

I was reminded of that evening as I pondered about Carlton's horror boat cruise down the Yarra. You wonder why this boatload of idiots at the peak of their health and fitness, some of them senior team members, simply don't get it? But I guess that's someone else's problem. Who are we to argue or to judge?

And so, as always, let us look to the future but not forget the past. May we long remember and toast Troy and may we also celebrate Paul's wonderful legacy, his music, both with a touch of kindness and some Auld Lang Syne...

Tomorrow is the fifth anniversary of the tsunami that rocked the lands bordering on the Indian Ocean and killed hundreds of thousands. A number of Australians also perished that day including our own Troy Broadbridge.

We ask Demonlanders to pass their respects to Troy on this day. Unless it's big news we prefer that new threads are not opened in this section except those in honour of Troy.

long live Troy's memories. RIP

2-3 days ago i watched an old tape from 2004 I think Rd 15. MCG v St.K. i had no idea what was on the tape and just sat down and watched.

We won by 10 goals (obviously why i kept it at the time!) Broady was running around and i actually got a little Teared up.

He played some good footy on that day-and it was real sad to think he only had months to live-as he looked so fit and healthy.

Your spirit lives on Troy-you will always stay young and a demon. R.I.P.

I recall that at the time of Broady's passing, it felt like losing a family member ................. such can be the love of the Melbourne Football Club. RIP Broady.

I always connect Troy's passing with that of Paul Hester, drummer for Crowded House. Hester was a Demon fan, who on 26 March, 2005 took his life in the same park in Elwood where my grandchildren play. I remember hearing the sad news just as we were driving by the Elwood Canal. We were on our way to the Troy Broadbridge Tribute Game at the MGC so, in the end, we celebrated two lives on the one night.

It was just a game of footy but we were proud of our team that night. I still remember the elation and the emotion of the victory and, after that, the boys fought hard over the next year or two; they made the finals and occasionally looked the goods but then it all fell away.

I feel exactly the same WJ. Hessy was a good mate of mine, we often watched Demon games together.

Elwood is a lot quieter these days...

The night of that tribute match a big cloud hung over the red sky above the MCG, it was an eerie look for sure-but to me it will always be Hessy and Troy watching the game.

Rest in Peace Brother, you haven't been forgotten

Really scary to think my real brother is in Thailand on Phi Phi today

Lucky Bugger Phi Phi Island is paradise (most of the time) Have been there a couple of times to a few of those islands.

I've come back from the pokies, after losing of course, feeling sorry for myself and read this. Thanks for putting life into perspective fellas. It brings back some sad memories and Trish's face is imbedded in my memory from that time. Also I've been working with the Kinglake Bushfire victims all year so really - WTF - there are so many more issues we need to concentrate on. We all love the MFC but we can overdo the importance of what is still a game. That said - Go Dees.

I've come back from the pokies, after losing of course, feeling sorry for myself and read this. Thanks for putting life into perspective fellas. It brings back some sad memories and Trish's face is imbedded in my memory from that time. Also I've been working with the Kinglake Bushfire victims all year so really - WTF - there are so many more issues we need to concentrate on. We all love the MFC but we can overdo the importance of what is still a game. That said - Go Dees.

I agree with your sentiments.

It's easy to forget how quickly life can be taken away.

Thank you for posting this.

I have thought of of Troy often since his passing, and have thought of Trisha.

My perspective on this... We are a beautiful country with little to worry about, so we find things to worry about. We argue politics, when, in reality, nobody loses their life as a result of an election in this country. We profess hatred (or close to it) for young men who play for opposing footy clubs, yet we don't really mean it. When you think about WW1 and WW2 and how many young footballers (amongst many many more) lost their lives, how could we reasonably feel such malice towards another Australian? I believe, in fact, that we don't. We just pretend to for entertainment. And let it roll on!

We loved Troy Broadbridge, and we miss him, and feel sorry for his wife, and for ourselves. And rightfully so.

We will remember him as he should be remembered.. not just a footballer, but as a quintessential young Australian male, with a beautiful wife, a career, and a future which was destroyed.

Rest in peace young man.

RIP Troy, a wonderful young man who lost his life, but saved that of his wife. A true hero.

Has anyone actually visited the school built in Troy's memory?

I'll be in Phi Phi island in a couple of weeks, and would love to know exactly where it is situation on the island so I can go visit.

Thank you for posting this.

I have thought of of Troy often since his passing, and have thought of Trisha.

My perspective on this... We are a beautiful country with little to worry about, so we find things to worry about. We argue politics, when, in reality, nobody loses their life as a result of an election in this country. We profess hatred (or close to it) for young men who play for opposing footy clubs, yet we don't really mean it. When you think about WW1 and WW2 and how many young footballers (amongst many many more) lost their lives, how could we reasonably feel such malice towards another Australian? I believe, in fact, that we don't. We just pretend to for entertainment. And let it roll on!

We loved Troy Broadbridge, and we miss him, and feel sorry for his wife, and for ourselves. And rightfully so.

We will remember him as he should be remembered.. not just a footballer, but as a quintessential young Australian male, with a beautiful wife, a career, and a future which was destroyed.

Rest in peace young man.

What is even sadder is that incidents like the one that happened to Jones' father happen yet those same men you speak of in Gallipoli can share smokes with the Turkish soldiers that were trying to kill them (during the cease fire they had to remove the dead)

What is even sadder is that incidents like the one that happened to Jones' father happen yet those same men you speak of in Gallipoli can share smokes with the Turkish soldiers that were trying to kill them (during the cease fire they had to remove the dead)

WTF has that got to do with the 2004 Tsunami??

Guest romey

Hi all. Long time reader - first time poster.

I am currently on my honeymoon at the resort where Troy and Trish were staying when the tsunami hit. It is called the Phi Phi Island Beach Resort and Village. On Boxing Day they held a very touching memorial service with over 100 people showing their respect. I was saddened to discover that Troy was one of only two fatalities from the resort as most of the damage was done to the other side of the island.

The Broadbridge Education Centre situated behind the resort is an excellent facility that is very tactifully done. All associated with it should feel proud of the impact that Troy's legacy is having on the local communty.

That everything can be put in perspective.

A Tsunami is completely Random. War is planned to happen by humans. I don't see the connection, but hey i am not going to argue in Troy's thread. I miss him, he would have been really firing for the MFC by now-and probably a father.

Too sad.

Great to hear from you Romey and have a fantastic honeymoon.

Thanks for posting about the Broadbridge Education Centre, good to hear it's thriving.

I remember the photos of the then Dees helping out with its initial construction post tsunami. Neita and Millsy going hard at it. Top effort from all the lads/lassies who were there.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, the Demons v. Bombers game Rnd.1 2005 is an absolute fitting tribute to Troy as I've mentioned before. Hard to keep the lump from the throat. And we win. (One of the few match dvd's I've got, but this one is a beauty).

If anyone wants it, it should still be available from AFL Name a Game.

Again, great to hear of Troy's legacy on Phi Phi.