Barry Dawson's draft review (having gone to the MFC function).

Well hello!

Just got back from the draft night function and would like to share with you all some quotes and insights (from the FD, not from me) on who and why...

The night started with Chris Connelly telling us that without a doubt our first 2 picks would be Scully and Trengove. Scully first because he had proven over two years that he was a consistent performer and had earnt the right to be number one. That said, had it come down to a decision b/w the two, it'd have been difficult.

Then number 11. The plan was for Lucas/Melksham/ Gisberts (not sure on spelling) but that if Melksham went to the bombers, Gysberts would be our man. And so it went. Butcher was mentioned as a slider, and as the only true top 20 KPF that the Demons rated. Talia's name did not come up.

Pick 18: Connelly categorically stated that at no time was Ball actually in the plans and that he "in no shape or form, represented our plans or strategies, and that our talk of him was indeed to attempt to keep a couple of others in the chance of slipping to 18".

At pick 18, our targets were Max Gawn and Fitzpatrick. Tapscott was mentioned, but I dont 'think they expected him to be available at 18. He was. We won. You effing beauty!

As if that wasn't enough... Gawn lasts to pick 34 and we get him.

As if that wasn't enough, pick 50 dealt us Fitzpatrick. Taylor was strongly thought about, and subsequently went to the Tiges with the next pick.

I spoke to Josh Mahoney after the event, about Fitzpatrick, and his size etc... plan is that he will be a forward > ruck.

Spoke to Kelly O'Donnell re. Max Gawn, and apparently he'll need some work, but the club is pumped about getting him and would have taken him at 18 had Tapscott not been there. Massive lump of a lad.

Asked O'Donnell about Temel - "Don't know heaps about him, but probably lacks in an area... will end up on someone's rookie list " Hmmm, not hugely helpful, but apparently never in contention.

Connelly made a statement about Jordie McKenzie - "Any other year and we'd have just straight out elevated him onto our list. But we spoke to Jordie and he agreed to remain a rookie to give our club the chance to draft even more young talent - hats off to him for his..."

That's all I can remember at this stage.

Well hello!

Just got back from the draft night function and would like to share with you all some quotes and insights (from the FD, not from me) on who and why...

The night started with Chris Connelly telling us that without a doubt our first 2 picks would be Scully and Trengove. Scully first because he had proven over two years that he was a consistent performer and had earnt the right to be number one. That said, had it come down to a decision b/w the two, it'd have been difficult.

Then number 11. The plan was for Lucas/Melksham/ Gisberts (not sure on spelling) but that if Melksham went to the bombers, Gysberts would be our man. And so it went. Butcher was mentioned as a slider, and as the only true top 20 KPF that the Demons rated. Talia's name did not come up.

Pick 18: Connelly categorically stated that at no time was Ball actually in the plans and that he "in no shape or form, represented our plans or strategies, and that our talk of him was indeed to attempt to keep a couple of others in the chance of slipping to 18".

At pick 18, our targets were Max Gawn and Fitzpatrick. Tapscott was mentioned, but I dont 'think they expected him to be available at 18. He was. We won. You effing beauty!

As if that wasn't enough, pick 50 dealt us Fitzpatrick. Taylor was strongly thought about, and subsequently went to the Tiges with the next pick.

I spoke to Josh Mahoney after the event, about Fitzpatrick, and his size etc... plan is that he will be a forward > ruck.

Spoke to Kelly O'Donnell re. Max Gawn, and apparently he'll need some work, but the club is pumped about getting him and would have taken him at 18 had Tapscott not been there. Massive lump of a lad.

Asked O'Donnell about Temel - "Don't know heaps about him, but probably lacks in an area... will end up on someone's rookie list " Hmmm, not hugely helpful, but apparently never in contention.

Connelly made a statement about Jordie McKenzie - "Any other year and we'd have just straight out elevated him onto our list. But we spoke to Jordie and he agreed to remain a rookie to give our club the chance to draft even more young talent - hats off to him for his..."

That's all I can remember at this stage.

As always, great work Baz!

Now, for all you Talia lovers, harden up a bit hey! I'm glad that my continual comments about the lack of top KPFs was backed up by CC.

Edited by billy2803

As always, great work Baz!

Now, for all you Talia lovers, harden up a bit hey! I'm glad that my continual comments about the lack of top KPFs was backed up by CC.

Yet adelaide rated him top 13 at least and the word is they had him much higher. Just because CC(and BP) said so doesn't mean Talia won't be a star, Adelaide rarely have a bust in the draft and they are one of the biggest spenders in the AFL recruiting game. Their picks in the last couple of drafts Dangerfield, Otten and Tippert look the serious goods and I have a feeling Talia has landed at the right enviroment to improve his game.

And thanks barry for the report, always good to see what the strategy was.

Edited by Melon22

Did he mention why? Would of thought that some experience wouldn't have hurt in the midfield.

Yet adelaide rated him top 13 at least and the word is they had him much higher. Just because CC(and BP) said so doesn't mean Talia won't be a star, Adelaide rarely have a bust in the draft and they are one of the biggest spenders in the AFL recruiting game. Their picks in the last couple of drafts Dangerfield, Otten and Tippert look the serious goods and I have a feeling Talia has landed at the right enviroment to improve his game.

The last 2 KPF's we've picked will turn out ok too wont they? Watts and Jurrah? BP didn't rate him that high, I support his decision before I worry about any other clubs.

Great insight BD.

There is no point lamenting anything if the club is happy with things. I am certainly not saying we should have gone with Talia or any other talls at 11 if the club clearly preferred a mid but Talia will be awesome at the Crows. The only thing is that I think the Crows see him down back instead of up forward which is why they may have pounced so the whole thing is academic.

Poor ol' Jordie Mckenzie, I can actually believe he would have been damn close for a promotion. Now his job of getting promoted is all that harder as there is 1 more (hopefully top mid) to contend with. Oh well, I hope he keeps his chin up and is in the mix for the mid season nominated rookie.

Did he mention why? Would of thought that some experience wouldn't have hurt in the midfield.

No. He didn't go into it. The only remarkable aspect to his statement was how emphatic it was. The crowd ripped up in applause. Not many Luke Ball fans were present...

I know here you're coming from Lil Stinga, and I feel your pain, BUT

The belief and confidence in our choices tonight were irrepressible. Our FD were on a mission. The picks were not random, they were cold and calculated. The only surprise was that Tapscott presented as late in the darft as he did.

As for our later picks, I think they're expalainable on our needs basis.

No. He didn't go into it. The only remarkable aspect to his statement was how emphatic it was. The crowd ripped up in applause. Not many Luke Ball fans were present...

The belief and confidence in our choices tonight were irrepressible. Our FD were on a mission. The picks were not random, they were cold and calculated. The only surprise was that Tapscott presented as late in the darft as he did.

I spoke to a recruiter (not MFC) months ago about the available talls in this draft with an eye to getting 1 or 2 with our 2nd, 3rd or 4th pick. He mentioned some players who I have since forgotten but I do remember his take on Talia. Basically he said Talia was a talent and would probably turn out to be a fine player but is more likely to play a flank or midfield role and he wasn't a natural key position player. Obviously there is more to it but maybe that is why BP didn't rate him higher???

Fitzy looks like a good pick at 50 for me. Tall, athletic, good kick and good hands...... Kelly O'Donnell will be happy to have such a lump of clay to work with.

Great insight BD.

There is no point lamenting anything if the club is happy with things. I am certainly not saying we should have gone with Talia or any other talls at 11 if the club clearly preferred a mid but Talia will be awesome at the Crows. The only thing is that I think the Crows see him down back instead of up forward which is why they may have pounced so the whole thing is academic.

Poor ol' Jordie Mckenzie, I can actually believe he would have been damn close for a promotion. Now his job of getting promoted is all that harder as there is 1 more (hopefully top mid) to contend with. Oh well, I hope he keeps his chin up and is in the mix for the mid season nominated rookie.

Although it is hard for Jordie the club did mention a couple of weeks ago that the are looking at next years draft as a right off and plan to recruit mainly from our rookie list

just got home don't want to name drop but walked out over heard David neitz talking about hearing good things about Jack viney! Not the first time I heard that tonight as cc mentioned him as well.

If you don't mind BD I'll add my spin from the night....

Db said re Luke ball he was not part of our blue sky plans as soon as he decided to enter to nd. We wanted him for free in the psd but not at a cost of a younger player coming through. Bp laughed and stated it was all a ploy to get him picked as early as possible. In fact although it wasn't televised bp said he purposely wanted lb to [censored] himself and play to the theatre of the moment by pausing after saying "Luke" at pick 18 lol then adding tapscott. Hoping ball would have stressed out lol.

Bp said it was between the 3 bd mentioned above for pick 11 however he really just loves gysberts. Bp is a big believer in "pack size" like rugby and wanted to add a player who can clear paths in a pack to open it up for scully and blease etc who are smaller. Gysberts marking ability at his height was also a factor given he can swing forward and kick goals. Gysberts himself stated his strengths are decision making and kicking. In a great moment his dad wad lost for words and cc asked him who do you barrack for and his dad said up to an hour ago ...collingwood....now it's go dees!

Gysberts said he wanted to play for Melbourne all along. Trengoves mum asked tapscotts mum who Luke wanted to play for he also said Melbourne. Bp said Andrew Moore desperately wanted to play for melbourne. So guess what all .... All the old guys may not want to play for us but all the young guys do!! They can see how good our future looks!

Bp said Liam Patrick is no where near as good as made out and no where near jarruh. He couldn't believe his luck when gawn was still there at 34 and fitzpatrick who he said he wanted at 34 was still there at 50 he was estatic!!

Jack watts spoke very well he just presents in such a positive manner. I couldn't help but feel the charisma. He draws people to him much like neitz also did all night. Scully also is just the ultimate professional. Cc said he has known he was going to melb since September.

Liam jurrah has put on 8 kgs along with watts who has been training while everyone else had their break. Blease and Strauss are coming along and will play this year.

Db was speaking and some idiot was giving it to him from the crowd which wad very poor. Db pointed at the guy and said I'm not askin I'm tellin ya... U be patient with this team we are going to be the envy of other clubs. He talked about the fact he didn't just want a window ...he wants bi fold doors as the size of the opportunity.... To which of course got huge applause.

Overall it was a wonderful night. The fox coverage made no difference as cc talked us through every demon pick before it wad made. The fd are delighted to get the mids with the first 4 picks and to get the speculative talls with the late picks.

Job well done bp and the fd. And may I say what a fantastic person cc really is. He is the momentum that is driving our club forward. The families of the draftees love him and he just adds so much to our club. He was a super presenter.

I'm inspired I wish the first game was tomorrow.

Go dees!!!!!!

CC said our targets for pick 18 were Aaron Black and Luke Tapscott - he said they really liked Gawn but thought he'd be taken before 34 so they would look to target Fitzpatrick at that pick. When both Gawn and Fitzpatrick were available at 34 they chose Gawn as they believed Fitzpatrick would be more likely to last until pick 50, which he did.

There really was some good insight into what the club was looking for and which players they would be targeting with their specific picks- we've all seen the recruiters bring out the old "we couldn't believe he lasted til pick y as we were considering him for pick x" line, but watching the draft unfold and seeing the picks fall precisely as CC suggested they would was something else.

Yep, that's basically the rub.

Other than Butcher, whose kicking deficiencies were also noted, we didn't rate any talls as first round.

We had Gysberts in mind as one of three options at 11, took him ahead of Lucas, with Melksham gone. It would have been a split decision even had Melkshan still been available.

188cm midfielder. Looked fairly lightly built at this stage but not skinny.

Which reminds me - Blease was there, is still 'light' but obviously 'harder-bodied' than this time last year.

Gysberts used to play basketball with Watts. Scully and Watts, as many of us know, used to play footy together.

Trengove and Tapscott families are VERY close. As in, when Trengove knew he was going to the Demons, Tapscott told his parents he wanted to go to the Demons.

And yes, Tapscott at 18 was a great value pick, with only Aaron Black being on our priority radar there as well. Black was there, I believe, so Tapscott was first choice.

Followed by Max GAWN (sorry, gotta capitalise it), who was considered at 18 if other options were gawn (Connolly himself made the pun, I merely repeat it and take no responsibility). He slipped to 34 against expectations, and the club found itself in the terribly awkward situation that both of the players it had -hoped- would slide as far as 34 were still there - GAWN and Fitzpatrick. As we know, we grabbed GAWN and miraculously Fitzpatrick slipped to 50 as well.

In short, we got what we were after.

Other news... the club was interested in Grimes if a couple of other things hadn't panned out. Young Dylan has been very unlucky as we will be taking MacDonald with PSD1, and unless Newton or Mighty Meese get picked up somewhere, we have no available rookie spots.

The story about MacKenzie voluntarily remaining on the rookie list to allow the club an extra draft pick really got the mood of the night going. What a champion!

The Trengove family may even be more attractive than the Watts family. They are also all athletic/sports high achievers like the Watts, and I can see a serious contest between these two families at a club function in the near future. :)

Final note - it was really, really visible that all of the families and the players were genuinely thrilled with how things had turned out. Especially the Trengoves (the Tapscotts were still in SA, but I imagine they did a fair amount of dancing and squealing at home).

The Trengove family may even be more attractive than the Watts family. They are also all athletic/sports high achievers like the Watts, and I can see a serious contest between these two families at a club function in the near future. :)

As always, we require photographic evidence. Surely someone had a camera at this function?

I went last night. Yeah it was good. Didn't know anyone and stayed till stumps.

The surprise of the night - picking Jordan Gysberts at 11. Definitely not on the phantom lists. His dad was stunned and overwhelmed and totally thrilled. He got up and spoke and was a very proud man.

The disappointment of the night - the food. Just not enough for a function that started at 6 and went till after dark.

The highlight of the night - easy. Jordan Gysbert's mum. She's a stunner!!!! No wonder we picked Jordan at 11.

Agree with all that and thanks Barry for the report.

Bailey on SEN said that there policy from the outset was to get Ball in the PSD and to take young talent in the ND. When Ball nominated for the ND then the his was outside the policy and MFC took 4 quailty midfielders.

I do like this statement. "The belief and confidence in our choices tonight were irrepressible. Our FD were on a mission. The picks were not random, they were cold and calculated. The only surprise was that Tapscott presented as late in the draft as he did."

In short, we got what we were after.

It seems like it and that's good news. Thanks for the report.

Other news... the club was interested in Grimes if a couple of other things hadn't panned out. Young Dylan has been very unlucky as we will be taking MacDonald with PSD1, and unless Newton or Mighty Meese get picked up somewhere, we have no available rookie spots.

The story about MacKenzie voluntarily remaining on the rookie list to allow the club an extra draft pick really got the mood of the night going. What a champion!

Nice touch. I hope he gives it his best shot. And if he is good enough.....

James Sellar isn't guaranteed, John Meesen and Fergus Watts are busts ... Adelaide picked four blokes between 191-195 cms... why is that? Their history doesn't support your assertion.

Edited by grazman

Awesome wish i had have been there i am more excited than ever can't wait for next year might have to start driving down (2hrs) to watch them train if we can't win a flag in the next 6 years don't think we ever if all these players reach some potential we should have NO weakness (fingers crossed on the injury front)

Forward Line - Bit of everything

Midfield - Nothing need to be said should be well and truly covered spots might get tough

Rucks - Some hope there

Backline - Alrready thought we had the best developing backline in the league before last nite