2010 Compromised Draft

The Chazz

Not sure if this deserves a full thread or not, but where do you think Melbourne will finish on the ladder next season? Reason for this is because;

2010 Finish/Draft Pick we receive:

16th/4

15th/6

14th/8

13th/10

12th/12

11th/14

10th/16

I would expect that we will finish somewhere around the 11th-14th mark, therefore, a minimum first draft pick in next years draft for us will be pick 14, or possibly even pick 8. Plus, we have to option of trading for a better draft pick if need be.

As I mentioned in a different thread, next year sees a compromised draft, not an abolished one. Realistically, we will end up with close to a top 10 draft pick next year, which should see us gain another handy player.

Edited by billy2803

My hope is that next year we'll have compiled talent in every area of the ground such that we ideally wouldn't need to draft anymore.

Basically, so that every hole is filled, and any draft picks in future years will simply add to our current talent crop and be bonuses.

I know that doesn't really make much sense, but I hope some people sorta understand what i'm getting at...

EG.

Tall backs covered- Rivers, Garland, Frawley, Warnock, McNamara

Running backs- Bennel, Strauss

Midfielders- Grimes, Morton, Blease, Davey, Moloney, Jones, Scully, Trengove, Sylvia

half forwards- Maric, Jetta, Pettard

Tall forwards- Bate, Watts, Jurrah, pick 11

Rucks- Jamar, Martin, Spenser, (PJ), pick 18

Small forwards- Wona

Basically.... with that list we should be able to develop them together. Any further talent we get from now on in just a bonus.

Hopefully we are now set!

I'm budgeting for 6-7 wins and I wouldn't be surprised if the club is too.

We play a total of 6 games against North, Freo, Richmond and West Coast (MCG), play Port on neutral territory and a total of 14 games at the G. Surely some wins will result from there!

I'd expect to finish 13th-14th next year and get pick 10 in 2010.

I'd expect to finish 13th-14th next year and get pick 10 in 2010.

Looking at what the Mfc might or might not get in the "2010 draft". That's the last thing anyone associated with the Mfc should be concerned about.

For the sake of the exercise, I'd be satisfied with a finish of around 10th-11th after 2 years finishing 16th. Anything higher a significant bonus. That would be a good improvement. So, I guess would be around pick 14 or 16.

Edited by High Tower

Looking at what the Mfc might or might not get in the "2010 draft". That's the last thing anyone associated with the Mfc should be concerned about.

For the sake of the exercise, I'd be satisfied with a finish of around 10th-11th after 2 years finishing 16th. Anything higher a significant bonus. That would be a good improvement. So, I guess would be around pick 14 or 16.

I agree and disagree with that HT.

We are 15 days out from this years draft, so I agree, this should obviously be our main focus at present. Why I threw it out there though is for people to remember that we will more than likely have a top 10 draft pick next year where we will have the opportunity to top up in areas that we might miss out on this year (eg. maybe a better KPP, or another quality midfielder). Unfortunately, we wont answer all our prayers in this years draft, hopefully we will go bloody close! But at 11 and 18, if we don't pick up a player that a lot of thought we should, there will be some reason behind it.

This is where I disagree though. I can assure you that BP would have been focusing on next years draft already, with the view that there might be, for example, a lot more better quality KPP.

Once this years drafting has been completed (both ND and PSD), I think we will have a great bunch of guys and kids that will hopefully develop in to a premiership side. By picking up another top 10 draft pick next year will just add more strength. Just trying to show that the compromised draft will still have some benefits, although hopefully we finish 9th-11th and we wont have a top 10 pick!

10th-12th with around 8 or 9 wins...

We'll definitely improve. Big question is - how many teams will slide?

Who'll be below us? Port ( still some good players?); North and Richmond( the new coach factor?) Freo (Home ground advantage, Palmer back, Pav fit ?)

I agree and disagree with that HT.

We are 15 days out from this years draft, so I agree, this should obviously be our main focus at present.

Essentially we agree, regarding my post I was intending to refer to at this point in time.

I take on your points regarding BP, he would know in his distant visionary, possible KP options for next years draft.

But seriously, with 2010 upon us, the year will be based on further development and winning as much as possible I would have thought.

I think your assertion that we will "more than likely" have another top 10 pick in the draft in 2010, is a little ambitious whilst not out of reach based on 2008-09 form. (thanks Commetti!)

Edited by High Tower

Essentially we agree, regarding my post I was intending to refer to at this point in time.

I take on your points regarding BP, he would know in his distant visionary, possible KP options for next years draft.

But seriously, with 2010 upon us, the year will be based on further development and winning as much as possible I would have thought.

I think your assertion that we will "more than likely" have another top 10 pick in the draft in 2010, is a little ambitious whilst not out of reach based on 2008-09 form. (thanks Commetti!)

A little ambitious? I would have thought saying that we will finish 8th or 9th would be ambitious, achievable, but still ambitious. HT, we are rock bottom mate, the best part is we can't get any lower, so the only way is up. With one of the youngest lists in the AFL, and that fact that we have no current match winners/superstars, I'm being realistic, not ambitious in my comments about having a top 10 pick next year. No disrespect to any of our players, especially Jurrah, he could be a match winner, and probably went close a couple of times this year, but again, reality is we only won 4 games.

A little ambitious? I would have thought saying that we will finish 8th or 9th would be ambitious, achievable, but still ambitious. HT, we are rock bottom mate, the best part is we can't get any lower, so the only way is up. With one of the youngest lists in the AFL, and that fact that we have no current match winners/superstars, I'm being realistic, not ambitious in my comments about having a top 10 pick next year. No disrespect to any of our players, especially Jurrah, he could be a match winner, and probably went close a couple of times this year, but again, reality is we only won 4 games.

Fair enough. It all depends on one's view of how far they see Mfc progressing. I guess finishing 13th or 14th is considered realistic by many which would equate to pick 8 or 10. It also depends upon alot of factors. Personnel available (injuries), momentum, etc.

I'd like to think 8-11 wins is achievable. Which is around your assumption from anywhere around 11th to 14th. We're not much different. Perhaps the "ambitious" tag wasn't necessary. Having said that, I believe we're every possible chance to have a pick outside the top 10 next year in the ND. Therefore a finish b/w 9th-12th.

Fair enough. It all depends on one's view of how far they see Mfc progressing. I guess finishing 13th or 14th is considered realistic by many which would equate to pick 8 or 10. It also depends upon alot of factors. Personnel available (injuries), momentum, etc.

I'd like to think 8-11 wins is achievable. Which is around your assumption from anywhere around 11th to 14th. We're not much different. Perhaps the "ambitious" tag wasn't necessary. Having said that, I believe we're every possible chance to have a pick outside the top 10 next year in the ND. Therefore a finish b/w 9th-12th.

Now that's ambitious! I hope you're right though!

Having said that, I think we should have won anywhere from 5-8 games this season. Obviously we could/should have beaten the Tiger's, I reckon we had the Saints on toast late in the season until some experimenting, and even the Carlton game could've gone our way.

My hope is that next year we'll have compiled talent in every area of the ground such that we ideally wouldn't need to draft anymore.

Basically, so that every hole is filled, and any draft picks in future years will simply add to our current talent crop and be bonuses.

I know that doesn't really make much sense, but I hope some people sorta understand what i'm getting at...

EG.

Tall backs covered- Rivers, Garland, Frawley, Warnock, McNamara

Running backs- Bennel, Strauss

Midfielders- Grimes, Morton, Blease, Davey, Moloney, Jones, Scully, Trengove, Sylvia

half forwards- Maric, Jetta, Pettard

Tall forwards- Bate, Watts, Jurrah, pick 11

Rucks- Jamar, Martin, Spenser, (PJ), pick 18

Small forwards- Wona

Basically.... with that list we should be able to develop them together. Any further talent we get from now on in just a bonus.

Hopefully we are now set!

Mmmm. promising list, and throw in pick 34, 50 and PSD1. But who is your tagger? I reckon we need someone like Clinton Jones.

We'll definitely improve. Big question is - how many teams will slide?

Who'll be below us? Port ( still some good players?); North and Richmond( the new coach factor?) Freo (Home ground advantage, Palmer back, Pav fit ?)

When we got Bailey we didnt become better,

Do you think Richmond and North will be because of this change better?

Not sure if this deserves a full thread or not, but where do you think Melbourne will finish on the ladder next season? Reason for this is because;

2010 Finish/Draft Pick we receive:

16th/4

15th/6

14th/8

13th/10

12th/12

11th/14

10th/16

I would expect that we will finish somewhere around the 11th-14th mark, therefore, a minimum first draft pick in next years draft for us will be pick 14, or possibly even pick 8. Plus, we have to option of trading for a better draft pick if need be.

As I mentioned in a different thread, next year sees a compromised draft, not an abolished one. Realistically, we will end up with close to a top 10 draft pick next year, which should see us gain another handy player.

Hang on. If we finish 16th, don't we get another priority pick? That would effectively give us picks 1 and 5 in the 2010 draft.

Having said that, I think we should have won anywhere from 5-8 games this season. Obviously we could/should have beaten the Tiger's, I reckon we had the Saints on toast late in the season until some experimenting, and even the Carlton game could've gone our way.

Looking at the draw 8 wins is doable, depending on how much we improve.

Agree. The West Coast game at Subi was another in my view.

Taklking about next years draft.. geez :huh:

I think we can get, and should be aiming for a minimum 8 wins and finish around 11th / 12th in '10..

We got the draw from Heaven - no excuses. We should aim to be at least twice as good as we were this year.

It's highly unlikely we'll get a pick in the top ten for a few years now.

And what will REALLY upset people here is that after this draft there's a very strong chance we'll be recruiting specifically for position.

We have talent. Oh boy do we have talent. By the end of next season we'll be beginning to see where we are strong or weak or need more depth.

There are also going to be two distinct player cycles at the club - the very stable core, plus a fairly high turnover of speculative picks, each given a couple of years to show something but as we have seen, Bailey, Harrington and Connolly are ready to be ruthless when it comes to list management. I'd also expect some heavy trading of mid-range picks to advance earli-ish picks. We'll be looking for the extra star and then endless cannon fodder. Which sounds awful but you know what I mean.

Remember that next year's draft, despite Gold Coast raiding the first round, will actually be deeper on account of the shunting back of this year's 17 year olds. Not ALL of them will be in Queensland.

When we got Bailey we didnt become better,

Do you think Richmond and North will be because of this change better?

You'll note I put in a question mark?

My overall point remains though. It's easy to say that we'll be 10th or 11th. The hard part is to find the 5 or 6 teams we expect to finish below us

You'll note I put in a question mark?

My overall point remains though. It's easy to say that we'll be 10th or 11th. The hard part is to find the 5 or 6 teams we expect to finish below us

Richmond, Port Adelaide, West coast, Carlton, Brisbane.

Possibly Freo, North or Sydney too. Even essondon are over-rated in my opinion.

Not saying we definitely will finish above these teams, but I don't see a reason why we shouldn't be able to.

Richmond, Port Adelaide, West coast, Carlton, Brisbane.

Possibly Freo, North or Sydney too. Even essondon are over-rated in my opinion.

Not saying we definitely will finish above these teams, but I don't see a reason why we shouldn't be able to.

You are joking aren't you? Trying not to have a personal attack on someone here, but gee Keyser, that is a STUPID comment to say we could finish above Brisbane. I will place any bet with you that Brisbane will finish higher that us. They will give top 4 a shake - I don't think we will.

You are joking aren't you? Trying not to have a personal attack on someone here, but gee Keyser, that is a STUPID comment to say we could finish above Brisbane. I will place any bet with you that Brisbane will finish higher that us. They will give top 4 a shake - I don't think we will.

What he said.

bottom 4 for us.