Is Liam Jurrah a star for the Mfc?

H_T

Is Liam Jurrah a star for the Mfc?  

235 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am truly sorry that an off-the-cuff comment about Jurrah already being a star resulted in a poll, five pages about the teachings of Ron Barassi and an argument over semantics.

You're Franz Ferdinand.

The one that started WWI, not the good one.

There is only one certainty and that is we all wont agree and some may even argue about that !! :lol:

You're Franz Ferdinand.

The one that started WWI, not the good one.

Started WW1 by allowing himself to be shot dead; a bit unfair, surely. (I assume that there is not a band named Gavrilo Princip)

I can't wait for the next Telstra Bigpond advertisement in which the Dad relies on press conferences and other musings from sporting figures when helping his son with English homework :)

;)

What else would we do during the off season?

Bingo ;)

Dont be sorry, there are some that found it informative and useful. :blink:

:unsure:;)

Wind up RR. ;)

Wouldnt be the hardest thing in the world to do! :lol:

(Shhh, see if he gets that Im doing it now..)

Caught up with some Nyirrpi (nearby community to Yuendumu) mob today who are buzzing with the news that Liam is arriving home in the coming week with a few friends!

Rumour has it that Jimmy is coming as is Dean Bailey and a couple of players.

Big event in the program is apparently a "scratch" match between the Nyirrpi Demons and the Yuendumu Magpies kids teams. Our friends at Mt Theo apparently facilitating the visit, should be great for the community and the club.

Caught up with some Nyirrpi (nearby community to Yuendumu) mob today who are buzzing with the news that Liam is arriving home in the coming week with a few friends!

Rumour has it that Jimmy is coming as is Dean Bailey and a couple of players.

Big event in the program is apparently a "scratch" match between the Nyirrpi Demons and the Yuendumu Magpies kids teams. Our friends at Mt Theo apparently facilitating the visit, should be great for the community and the club.

I'm going up to Yuendumu with Liam early this week, so I'll post a report on the trip later in the week.

I'm going up to Yuendumu with Liam early this week, so I'll post a report on the trip later in the week.

Hey Rudeboy, if you're in Alice and you want to catch up let me know. Always keen for a footy chat, happy to show you around town. Would be great to hear how it goes. Hope the mighty Nyirrpi Demons have a win!

Cheers

Caught up with some Nyirrpi (nearby community to Yuendumu) mob today who are buzzing with the news that Liam is arriving home in the coming week with a few friends! Rumour has it that Jimmy is coming as is Dean Bailey and a couple of players. Big event in the program is apparently a "scratch" match between the Nyirrpi Demons and the Yuendumu Magpies kids teams.
That is great news fork and big news too. Be sure to keep us posted.

Look forward to it RudeBoy, thanks. Will be great for the Yuendumu community and the Mfc. Will be proud as punch if jimmy makes the trip.

Further to fork's and RudeBoy's posts, SEN Morning glory shift this morning spoke to Tim Watson (representing Ch7) who was heading off to near Yuendumu with members of the Mfc (ie Coach, some players, etc). Wouldn't let on too much, but hinted at a special on Ch 7 soon following this project.

Something more to look forward to, other than the draft.

Liam Jurrah. :wub:

Does Young Australian of the Year for the NT make him a star?!

Liam just won the Young Australian of the Year for the NT. In the running for Young Australian of the Year (each state/territory has one entrant) on Australia Day. This was not just based on his incredible football story of courage, strength and leadership in coming from a remote desert community.

But also his profound work here in Yuendumu with the Mt Theo Program in the Jaru Pirrjirdi project, where he worked with us as a youth mentor (www.mttheo.org) from the age of 16-19. He was incredibly strong in helping us create positive life pathways for at risk youngfellas. In getting their lives on strong, proud and meaningful road. He carries on his inspiration with his new journey.

It is testament to the incredible person that he is, even better than the footballer he is, which is really saying something. All Warlpiri proud.

///

We had an incredible visit over the last few days from the Melbourne Footy club. Jimmy Stynes, Dean Bailey, Cameron Schwab, Don Mclardy, Chris Connolly, Ian Flack and Liam were joined by Rudeboy from here (!) and Collingwood Industrial Magpies as well as Rupert Betheras (as well as CH 7 Tim Watson and Martin Flanagan). They came with great respect, interest, kindness and generosity. Liam brings people together, he is a leader of men, across cultures. l will let Rudeboy write of his adventures here, in Alice, then journeying out to Yuendumu, greeting all of Liams family, the school, us at Mt Theo, the Arts Centre, a trip out bush and a footy clinic and scratch matches.

But most importantly the community was overwhelmed with joy at seeing Liam home but also at the grace and care with which Melbourne came here (Rudeboy and Rupert have been out before). And thus obviously the respect and love they have for Liam. You should be blood proud of your club fellas. This is history being made, beyond football.

Edited by Japaljarri

Thank you for letting us know, and a big congratulation to Liam Jurrah, who is on the path to on-field stardom, having already established himself as a star person off it!

Hopefully the club did a bit of last minute recruiting checks while up there as well ;)

Martin Flanagan should have a story in The Age tomorrow, so I don't want to spoil his thunder. However, let me just express a huge thanks to the MFC for inviting me to accompany them on such an amazing journey. As most of you know, I have been to Yuendumu before and have had a relationship with their community and Liam's family in particular, for around 7 yrs, but to re-visit there in the company of Jim Stynes was an enormous privilege. The club will no doubt report on the trip in their own time, but it was clear that the main purpose of the trip was to pay their respect to Liam's family and community, to better understand his background and culture and to reassure the people in Yuendumu that his Melbourne 'family' are taking good care of their beloved and favourite son. I suspect this visit may turn out to be the start of a long-term relationship between the MFC and the Yuendumu community. Channel 7, with Tim Watson, were also there, preparing a lengthy story on Liam and Jimmy, which probably won't go to air until March next year. As Japaljarri reported, last night also saw Liam win the NT Young Australian of the Year, which means he is one of 6 finalists for the Australia-wide young person of the year. I'm happy to provide a few more details on the trip, but I'll wait until after the story comes out in The Age tomorrow. One thing's for sure, you should all be proud of the Melbourne football Club for their commitment to the core values of respect and integrity. As the foundation stones for the re-building of a club, you can't find better than that.