Brisbane/Voss have to be kidding!!!

Dee1987

Jonathan Brown is a one in a generation player. As long as he is there they can win a flag. Voss has gambled the future to win it now, he obviously thinks the addition of these players can win them a flag, so we will see what happens.

I do not rate the additions (outside Fev), but to be so active means they could fill a need that will make the team stronger. Time will tell if this was a smart move or a foolish gamble by a young coach.

Bris top 4 lock next year with Fev i think.

id b worried if i was Hooper Roe or Proud,Cant see them playing next year, This move failed when Blues n Saints tried,Will only be open for 2 years you would think

When did the Blues try this?

If you're referring to 2003 you are comparing apples and oranges.

The Lions are stocking up for a tilt at the flag - Carlton stocked up because they had no picks to utilize in the draft (given their penalties) and instead of taking left over kids, acquired developed players late in the draft.

The only one of these traded players that is even remotely important in helping Brisbane win a premiership is Fev and Fev alone. And he makes a HUGE difference. If he plays most home and away games and all finals next year, then with a fair chunk of luck, they could pull it off.

Edited by pringle

My thoughts are you need to follow more footy. Clearly the Lions think they are close to a GF and Premiership tilt. They did make the semi. When you have the ilk of Brown, Bradshaw and a midfield consisting of Black, Power, Rich etc. Add the likes of Fevola and other trades - Voss then has many options at his disposal. Kudos to Voss being on the front foot.

Mitch Clark was in AA form this year. Clearly one of - if not the best - all-round performed ruckman for the 2009 season. You're in a time warp.

Err, you didn't read my posts in this thread, did you HT?

Though it took someone else to tell me, he's refering to Xavier Clarke.

Err, you didn't read my posts in this thread, did you HT?

Though it took someone else to tell me, he's refering to Xavier Clarke.

:lol: Correction, I'm the one in the time warp. Deleted.

Edited by High Tower

Brisbane is the outstanding winner from the trading period.

They have stocked up with experience and talent at both ends.

Nothing is certain and injuries can derail the most promising season but I expect the Lions to go top 4.

The Dogs must be dark they committed to Hall before Fev came up.

Don't think I'll make the trip up next season.

Brisbane is the outstanding winner from the trading period.

They have stocked up with experience and talent at both ends.

Nothing is certain and injuries can derail the most promising season but I expect the Lions to go top 4.

The Dogs must be dark they committed to Hall before Fev came up.

Don't think I'll make the trip up next season.

How can Brisbane be deemed the outstanding winner from the trading period if as you say nothing is certain and injuries can derail the most promising season?

There whole strategy turns on whether Fevola plays well consistently and on a team basis. If so great and they are top 4 material. If he doesn't they have a financial and PR disaster on their hands.

It will take 1 to 3 years to establish the outcome.

Given the Dogs have salary cap issues, how could they have fitted $1.4 to 1.5 million into their salary cap over the next 2 years without severely compromising their list?

where's clark going to play in 2010? cant really play up forward with fev, bradshaw and brown there. I'm guessing they'll want to play both leunberger and charman in the ruck as well. man they have some good talls though.

I'd suggest Charman plays in the QFL unless one of the other 2 get injured

How can Brisbane be deemed the outstanding winner from the trading period if as you say nothing is certain and injuries can derail the most promising season?

easy.

staker. fev. buchanan. still holding bradshaw, brown, black.

biggest injection of talent since norf in 74.

I think Voss and the boys up in Brisbane are at least in for an exciting year next year..... They will get massive TV audiences in Melbourne! Wouldn't be surprised to see them get a $hitload of big games on Friday and Saturday nights.... The media will be all over them

There whole strategy turns on whether Fevola plays well consistently and on a team basis. If so great and they are top 4 material. If he doesn't they have a financial and PR disaster on their hands.

Consistently is less of an issue, because they still have Brown and Bradshaw up there, so the entire game plan will not revolve around Fev, as it did at the Blues.

The issue would be if those three, or at the very least Fev and Brown, are able to gel and work together in that same forward 50 arc. If they can, and the Lions can maintain a healthy list, they might just snatch one.

Their midfield is still top quality and they've just gone from having a very good forwardline, to having probably the strongest, scariest forwardline in the competition. How the hell do you cover Brown, Fev and Bradshaw? I can see them kicking over 100 points on a very consistent basis.

Voss has done the right thing. He is trying to milk every last ounce of talent out of his aging stars, and so he should. He has one or two years at the most to try and win one, before going into a long rebuilding process to replace Brown, Power, Black, Bradshaw and so forth. They are in as good a shape as Collingwood, the Dogs and even the aging Geelong going into 2010, and they still have one of the best home ground advantages in the competition.

easy.

Fev yes. The other battlers.

Largely unproven. All at risk on the output of one player who will be with Brown their highest paid player.

If Brisbane do reach success they are guaranteed a rebuilding process in 3 years when the key talent retires and they have traded their youth.

I think it's a fair investment in going for a premiership as soon as possible, players like Staker and Buchanan being rated on here as "handy players" will lift and push harder to get senior selection, as will others currently on the list to keep their spots. Fevola is this year's Coleman medallist and kicked 99 goals last year, how people can so easily dis-credit him because of off-field antics, I don't know. And Andrew Raines is certain to be a superstar, has had a bad run with injuries but I'm sure he will prove to be a great pick-up for the Lions. Xavier Clarke is the only question mark, but picking him up at pick 60 makes it no big risk.

The Lions have done well in trade week, it's obviously aimed at short-term success but I'm confident it will pay off and get them even further than they got this year. Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see them in the 2010 grand final.

I think it's a fair investment in going for a premiership as soon as possible, players like Staker and Buchanan being rated on here as "handy players" will lift and push harder to get senior selection, as will others currently on the list to keep their spots. Fevola is this year's Coleman medallist and kicked 99 goals last year, how people can so easily dis-credit him because of off-field antics, I don't know. And Andrew Raines is certain to be a superstar, has had a bad run with injuries but I'm sure he will prove to be a great pick-up for the Lions. Xavier Clarke is the only question mark, but picking him up at pick 60 makes it no big risk.

The Lions have done well in trade week, it's obviously aimed at short-term success but I'm confident it will pay off and get them even further than they got this year. Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see them in the 2010 grand final.

I totally agree

Sure Nothing wrong with Trying to win a Flag, i mean we haven't done it in 45 years.

When the MFC finally do win a flag some posters on here are going to be upset saying "But we weren't ready!!"

Voss is trying to win a flag. That is his Job.

easy.

Staker, Buchannan, Xclarke raines aren't much to boost about but you can argue, they didn't trade away the future there. The kids just get less opportunity to develop.

If I was Brisbane, I would've much prefered trading bradshaw and rishietllli. Ones 31 with body showing effects of battle, Risha is not a great but good player. They didn't trade away the future there either but Lachie Henderson and Pick 12. hmmm.

You can't turn over that many people and expect the team chemistry to click. I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be a train wreck.

Who is to say that our youth players are a certainty.

Recruiting and drafting is a gamble. I think voss is doing the right thing for his club.

I dont doubt it.

But the Lions have a 3 year window to work with and I agree with the bold course taken. However it succeeds or fails on Fev. The other players are peripheral and are not players I would have wanted MFC to chase.

They werent going to win a flag with their 2009 side. And it will be alot harder to challenge in say 2012 when Brown and Black are not around.

I dont doubt it.

But the Lions have a 3 year window to work with and I agree with the bold course taken. However it succeeds or fails on Fev. The other players are peripheral and are not players I would have wanted MFC to chase.

They werent going to win a flag with their 2009 side. And it will be alot harder to challenge in say 2012 when Brown and Black are not around.

Possibly a very smart move - he has shifted their window to the next 3 years, after which they'll have to rebuild, but at least they'll be able to (unlike Richmond et al right now).

As opposed to continuing in the same vein for the next 3 years as the stars get older and one-by-one retire, earlier than if they'd have been contending, and the Lions try to gradually rebuild through 3 compromised drafts.

Edited by Keyser Söze

Actually, that's wrong, they aren't quite old enough to be retiring just yet.

But it is true that what they had would not get them there, and considering the compromised drafts coming up, they would be unlikely to recruit players that would get them there.