2009 Player Review - # 20 Colin Garland

Demonland

Colin Garland – Again, injury ruined his season. He played the first game and then, unfortunately, suffered a stress fracture in his foot. We really missed him, because he does give the team some flexibility. He can also play on different types of opposition forwards. His rehab is going really well and we would expect to have him up to full speed for pre-season training – Sean Wellman on Melbournefc.com.au

Hope to god it's just a hot spot i think it was his talus bone in his foot

which is different to the navicular bone injury he has had.

However it still points to stuctural problems in his foot if he gets hot spots.

Unfortunately the bones he is having problems with take the bodies full weight when walking or running

He was a rare shining light in 2008 I hope he get's back to his best asap

he is an absolute gun.

A diagram of what where looking at

foot_accessory_navicular_anat02.jpg

Edited by Diablo Deemon

Of all the players, I believe we have to make sure he's fit is Col. I think he could turn out to be a great replacement as a Mr. Fix it- for Bruce. Actually I think Garland will make a brilliant winger.However, MFC have to through evertything they can to get him right ASAP.

hopefully ready in 4-2-6 ...:unsure:. I really hope he gets back and continues his development . Was a bit of a rrevelation for mine.. until struck down.

I must confess Im a bit jittery with respect to this lad :mellow:

What I don't understand is how can he have hot spots in a different spot to the original injury, when he's barely been using the foot at all? In my armchair expert opinion that's a bit of a worry.

Nasher. Stress fractures are over-use or repetitive strain injuries. You are correct in saying that a stress fracture should not occur when one has not been weight-bearing through that leg. However another feature of over-use injuries is that the player is more susceptible to developing one after a sudden increase in training load after a period of inactivity. My guess would be that Col returned to training and (most likely despite trying to 'ease back in') then suffered this setback. It was caught early from all reports (whilst only a 'hot spot', so a few weeks in a CAM walker ('moon boot') and then graded return to training should be all that is required. I'm sure the biomechanical investigations have already been undertaken previously and any correctible contributing factors (eg. foot orthotics to correct poor foot biomechanics) appropriately addressed. The docs and physios are well versed in those sorts of things and usually onto it like a rash.

Nasher. Stress fractures are over-use or repetitive strain injuries. You are correct in saying that a stress fracture should not occur when one has not been weight-bearing through that leg. However another feature of over-use injuries is that the player is more susceptible to developing one after a sudden increase in training load after a period of inactivity. My guess would be that Col returned to training and (most likely despite trying to 'ease back in') then suffered this setback. It was caught early from all reports (whilst only a 'hot spot', so a few weeks in a CAM walker ('moon boot') and then graded return to training should be all that is required. I'm sure the biomechanical investigations have already been undertaken previously and any correctible contributing factors (eg. foot orthotics to correct poor foot biomechanics) appropriately addressed. The docs and physios are well versed in those sorts of things and usually onto it like a rash.

Thanks very much for that. Hopefully it does just turn out to be a minor setback then.

Either way, I think we'd all agree that it was better to find this now than after another stuffed season and potentially a stuffed career.

• 5 weeks later...

Many thanks Pringle and Diablo for your 'medical' contributions. It's somewhat reassuring that we will see this potential gun in full flight in 2010. If he can get himself fully fit, I'm sure that we all agree that he will be an integral part of our push towards finals, and hopefully higher honours, in the coming years.

Anybody have any updates re: Colin's progress? Looking forwards to seeing him in 2010.

Pringle's comments were 4 weeks ago. You'd like to think Colin'd be doing light training by now. Has anybody seen him on the track? He is an important player for us

Edited by hoopla

He was incredible in round 1 and for most of last season, major set-back with injuries this year but I'm sure he'll produce the goods in 2010. At 100% he would have to be the best defender on our list.

Where aware of that mate its just that will he be in full flight come 2010?

Will he complete a full pre season.

Anybody have any updates re: Colin's progress? Looking forwards to seeing him in 2010.

As some of you will remember I am very good mates with Colin knowing him from tassie and now both living in Melbourne as I posted in another thread his foot is coming along fine and he is happy with it and his recovery said he will be right.

As some of you will remember I am very good mates with Colin knowing him from tassie and now both living in Melbourne as I posted in another thread his foot is coming along fine and he is happy with it and his recovery said he will be right.

Good news, how much of a preseason can he get in? is he jogging or running yet?

Guest melbman

cheers DT. appreciated

Hope to god it's just a hot spot i think it was his talus bone in his foot

which is different to the navicular bone injury he has had.

However it still points to stuctural problems in his foot if he gets hot spots.

Unfortunately the bones he is having problems with take the bodies full weight when walking or running

He was a rare shining light in 2008 I hope he get's back to his best asap

he is an absolute gun.

A diagram of what where looking at

foot_accessory_navicular_anat02.jpg

Thanks for that info & diagram Diablo. Do you have experience with regard to this topic ?

If so, has there been any similar injury to Garland's from an AFL perspective ie. James Hird, Trent Croad ?

Crossing fingers, legs for Garland and hoping he'll make a 100% recovery.

edit: Just skimmed over Demon Tingles post. Thanks for that, it's good news.

He was incredible in round 1 and for most of last season, major set-back with injuries this year but I'm sure he'll produce the goods in 2010. At 100% he would have to be the best defender on our list.

Look, i just can't agree with that. I'm now living in Germany and love having access to almost all games from this year and 2008 at my disposal from an international website. Since Rd 22 i've been going back over a lot of different players as i slowly trawl back through all these old games. In particular, naturally, those who were unfortunately injured most of the year ie. Wona, Garland, Buckley etc.

Yes, he shows some glimpses, no he's not big enough to be a true "tall" defender, yes he can be creative AT TIMES. But compared to the run and dash combined with strength and fantastic "never drop your chutney" attitude of Frawley, he just pales in comparison. And lets not forget this preseason will be one of extremely few for Rivers, who at 100% is a better playmaker and one on one defender.

I like the guy, he can play, but i'm not awaiting his return as anxiously as some. Take it from someone who has been rewatching all those heartbreaking '08 games. Some people are remembering his play with rose tinted glasses.

Having said all that, this year will be important for him and I hope he continues to improve.

GO DEES!!