Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The culture of our club

Gorgoroth

Explain it to me.

What is it?

In the words of Vlad what does our club stand for? I know have no freaking idea!

All I see is players leaving, players not wanting to come to our club, boards been fighting for years (thankfully that has changed for now...)

A player gives his all and gives his own money and the club 2 years later cannot even get him to stay.

There is a rot in this club,

we are supposedly building a list and we let our best players leave or we shunt them.

The club has finally lost me on this one, I put up with others and tried to say best to go if they did not want to be here, but why does that seem to be a recurring theme at this club.

I now begin to understand why we have not won a flag in 45 years.

The MFC seems to stand for nothing but be a rotting centre that players want to get away from.

Listen to the Ox talk about being a hawks supporter as a kid and then as a Melbourne player this arvo and I swear their was more passion in his voice when he spoke about being a Hawks supporter.

Bahh!!

Blasphemy, blasphemy!!!!

I see your point tho.

But i think McClean has some personal connection with Rutten, nothing much wrong with the club

Just throwing it out there but could this have something to do with Maccas keeping the skipper role without it being offer to Brock ???

Sorry C84 but I am not persuaded by your generalisations.

Let's get specific.

Brock's career had stalled. The last electrifying game he played for us was the 2006 EF. Since then, what with all his injuries and lack of pace, he became a plodder.

Seriously, I had to remind myself during this season that he was actually on the field - that is how nondescript he was becoming in my mind.

Meanwhile, Moloney is now fit. Blease, Strauss, Scully and presumably Trengove are all in train. Jones continues to motor on.

While I would prefer Brock to stay, I am not in any way broken hearted like I was when Scotty Thompson left. Pick 11 is a fair enough deal.

It has been a long time since Brock justified the coin he was on. Moreover, Carlton need KPPs up forward, not a so-so replacement for Nick Stevens.

Anyone who still follows the Dees in 2009 after a drought of this duration is a veritable Omega Man: they cannot be killed.

The Casey deal is a watershed in our history. keep the faith. The wheel will always turn full circle and it is turning.

Biffinator

Edited by Biffinator

Explain it to me.

What is it?

In the words of Vlad what does our club stand for? I know have no freaking idea!

All I see is players leaving, players not wanting to come to our club, boards been fighting for years (thankfully that has changed for now...)

A player gives his all and gives his own money and the club 2 years later cannot even get him to stay.

we are supposedly building a list and we let our best players leave or we shunt them.

The club has finally lost me on this one, I put up with others and tried to say best to go if they did not want to be here, but why does that seem to be a recurring theme at this club.

I now begin to understand why we have not won a flag in 45 years.

The MFC seems to stand for nothing but be a rotting centre that players want to get away from.

Listen to the Ox talk about being a hawks supporter as a kid and then as a Melbourne player this arvo and I swear their was more passion in his voice when he spoke about being a Hawks supporter.

BYE BYE then!!!!

We aren't the first club where a player has asked to be traded and we won't be the last. Footy life has it's ups and downs. Our ups will show next year when we put out a much faster midfield. We have a couple of elevated and non-elevated rookies from this year who now may get a bigger crack along with Scully and co.

I agree that the club has been dodgy at times in the past, but it is clear to everyone (except a few football journo's with their own agendas) that the corner has been turned. We have good membership numbers and the board are all pulling in the same direction. We have good sponsors. Our list is looking very promising.

I think the McLean decision is about his ability to get games in the new team that will emerge over the next few years. I know i'm not the only one who's had trouble finding a spot for him in the team I imagine in two years time. He's probably done the same exercise and come to the same conclusion. He's made a brave move and jumped before he finds himself on the fringe.

Sorry C84 but I am not persuaded by your generalisations.

Let's get specific.

Brock's career had stalled. The last electrifying game he played for us was the 2006 EF. Since then, what with all his injuries and lack of pace, he became a plodder.

Seriously, I had to remind myself during this season that he was actually on the field - that is how nondescript he was becoming in my mind.

Meanwhile, Moloney is now fit. Blease, Strauss, Scully and presumably Trengove are all in train. Jones continues to motor on.

While I would prefer Brock to stay, I am not in any way broken hearted like I was when Scotty Thompson left. Pick 11 is a fair enough deal.

It has been a long time since Brock justified the coin he was on. Moreover, Carlton need KPPs up forward, not a so-so replacement for Nick Stevens.

Anyone who still follows the Dees in 2009 after a drought of this duration is a veritable Omega Man: they cannot be killed.

The Casey deal is a watershed in our history. keep the faith. The wheel will always turn full circle and it is turning.

Biffinator

Well said.

I 2nd that.

*cough*

TJ for pick 14.

Worked out bloody well for us, I'd say.

And how many ppl were a few days ago floating Brock as the one they'd trade, because Brock, Beama and Jones made it one too many inside midfielders, but now are crying foul and wondering 'where will it end'?

The sky is not falling.

I 2nd that.

*cough*

TJ for pick 14.

Worked out bloody well for us, I'd say.

And how many ppl were a few days ago floating Brock as the one they'd trade, because Brock, Beama and Jones made it one too many inside midfielders, but now are crying foul and wondering 'where will it end'?

The sky is not falling.

Can you name any? This is one of my pet hates.

BYE BYE then!!!!

So you can not answer me then? Just a pathetic bye bye comment.... wow your brains in overdrive.

Condemned 84, we all get a bit emotional sometimes ... but stop being such a sook! On average, i bet my left cahooli we don't loose anymore of our players than other teams. The club is fine, and the culture is better than it's been for a long time

I'm not being a sook, I'm angry because once again we are losing a talented footballer who had passion for the club, which to me is a massive attribute I want in all MFC players.

If the culture is fine then explain it to me, I am struggling to see what it is.

It's sure as [censored] not loyalty that's for sure.

So you can not answer me then? Just a pathetic bye bye comment.... wow your brains in overdrive.

I'm not being a sook, I'm angry because once again we are losing a talented footballer who had passion for the club, which to me is a massive attribute I want in all MFC players.

If the culture is fine then explain it to me, I am struggling to see what it is.

It's sure as [censored] not loyalty that's for sure.

I'm angry and disappointed too mate. I stuck up for Brock a few days ago when a few were calling for him to be traded - i loved the guy.

My point is that although we're disappointed there's no need to rant about the club having a dodgy culture - the sky's not about to fall in.

But, having said that, I can't wait to hear his bloody reasons!

Hmm...

These players who have left...

Johnstone was traded after a disappointing decade.

CJ insisted on a two year deal and the club said 'no, you haven't earnt it', so he left to play seconds for Carlton.

Brad Green considered leaving, but in the end his decision was to pass up about $100k a year (at least) in additional payments for the sake of staying at the Demons.

As for players not wanting to come to the Demons, consider this -

The only reason it feels like we are being overlooked is because we are constantly being shortlisted. Judd, Warnock, now Burgoyne have all named us in their shortlists. Each time, a dozen other clubs have not even rated a mention. And when it comes to the crunch, the first two and presumably Burgoyne as well, made their decision against us because of a) inadequate payments or B) poor facilities.

Mclean goes at his football 100% and gave the club 100% in his time with us, that is his ethic and it deserves respect.

BUT

His captaincy ambitions were clearly faltering, his salary was about to take a major hit, and even his regular spot on the list was being challenged by Moloney, Jones and even Valenti. Moving to Carlton gives him a chance to refresh his career, provide the genuine hardness that the Blues so clearly lack, and have a tilt at a premiership while still in his prime. Because let's face it, 100 games in and never having played a full season, he's not likely to be playing past 30 or be a 300 gamer. Those two years earlier on the 'schedule' that Carton can claim to be are surprisingly important in Mclean's situation.

So, it's sad to lose an erstwhile major player, but the reasons are material rather than emotional and at that level we have done well enough oursleves. That pick 11 will be a key forward, no doubt on it, and could be just about the final piece of the puzzle if it works out.

The only thing left to say about club culture is that we do what it takes, to keep salary expectations down, to get the draft selections we need, and to fit the team to a plan for ultimate success, whatever the pain along the way.

Guest The Old Xaverian
Jolly left because he wasn't getting much game time behind the AA ruckman in Jeff White - wanted out to become a number one ruckman...

So he left b/c he couldn't get a game / he wanted to be the 1st choice ruckman?

The Year he left, didn't he lead Sydney's ruck dept. to a flag?

Scott Thompson left b/c he was homesick?

Guest The Old Xaverian
That was everitt. And wasn't it two years later?

Everitt didn't play a game during Sydney's 05 year (he was traded to them in 07). If my memory serves me correctly, Jason Ball was their No 1 Ruckman when Jolley first went to Sydney.

If only Godders had contributed to Debt Demolition!

Is it? I challenged this assertion in the McLean thread.

Thompson Armstrong and Farmer relocated for personal reasons, didn't they? I think Bishop was the same, although that's going back a while. Jolly wanted more game time.

Robertson floated moving because we wouldn't give him a three-year deal, while Green chose to stay at the Club. We moved Woewodin and TJ on.

Sure, there's Powell. Maybe you'll also chuck in CJ. Who else?

It's not like we haven't brought anyone in. We've had guys like White, Ingerson, Vardy, Pickett. Holland, PJ and Meesen in recent-ish times.

If true, would that be so shocking? Once you're involved in a Club as a player it's nothing like the idealised view of things you might have as a kid.

Instead of idolising the players you're sharing a changeroom with a bunch of blokes, some you won't particularly like. After pain and disappointment you grow old and are no longer wanted - hardly the stuff of a kids idealised view of footy, is it?

Edited by Rogue
Oops - wrote Armstrong instead of Thompson

But, having said that, I can't wait to hear his bloody reasons!

his reasons have been stated.. in the stevens article;(who will retire due to neck problems that may cripple him.. )so brock is a replacement for nick stevens !!

1;brocks concerns that he was being more and more asked to play a negative roll.

2; that he was taken aback when asked to take a pay cut after donating money to club.. ie; $25 k..

3; the assessment by the club that a wait of 4- 6 years for any success !!

2; that he was taken aback when asked to take a pay cut after donating money to club.. ie; $25 k..

in all honesty, i can understand why this would be an affront to anyone, no matter what the buisness, but i can also understand the clubs pov that players are payed based on other things, not financial contribution to the club.