Shaun Burgoyne walks out on Port Adelaide

Jarka

Has all the hallmarks of a feed from his manager to the journalist.

I think MFC is in the mix to prevent the Port hardball game.

I doubt whether he is interested in MFC and given the concerns over his knee given the bandied contract $$$$, I doubt whether I am interested.

now now...thats a purely circumspect comment with no foundation as you would all have us pursue !! We arent the same team or club that previously had players turningh their noses up..we are going somewhere !! He may be genuinely thinking we are somewhere to to go..why not !!

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now now...thats a purely circumspect comment with no foundation as you would all have us pursue !! We arent the same team or club that previously had players turningh their noses up..we are going somewhere !! He may be genuinely thinking we are somewhere to to go..why not !!

No you are wrong. Its my opinion..."I doubt....". It has all the foundation it needs. I did not state it as a fact as you imply.

FWIW, I think the Ho Chee's post is on the money. I am still not sure i am interested given the price and the uncertainty over his knee

Guest hangon007
No you are wrong. Its my opinion..."I doubt....". It has all the foundation it needs. I did not state it as a fact as you imply.

FWIW, I think the Ho Chee's post is on the money. I am still not sure i am interested given the price and the uncertainty over his knee

Settle down guys hold that "gun-powder" ... one step at a time ... port are going to get shafted just a matter of by who ... nobody knows the "real" price so how can you make a value judgment ... answer you cant ;) ... not at this stage till we know all the facts

By Burgoyne nominating "3 clubs" .... very, very bad sign for Port ... the penny will drop for them very soon!!!!

If Port want to play poker ... Go ahead I say ... we got a hand at the table and its cost us nothing ... :lol: :lol: ... we are in position ... port are in no position ... bluff and bs aint going to work .... hello ... first to speak loses & their doing all the talking ... ;)

Not getting my hopes up at all.. due to our recent record..

I think it would be a great pickup but if we do get him and also draft Scully and Trengove we need to be active in trade week cause we will have too many mids!

Maybe we will look to offload in a trade for Burgs?

but if we do get him and also draft Scully and Trengove we need to be active in trade week cause we will have too many mids!

Maybe we will look to offload in a trade for Burgs?

Too many mids, like the Cats, the Saints & the Doggies?

I fail to understand how having Scully, Trengove & pick 18 is ok but having Scully, Trengove & Burgoyne = too many mids.

We do not have 1 single midfielder that would slot into a top 4 midfield right now, the more top shelf prospects the merrier.

Our backline is set, our forwardline may be too. Provided we get another KPF & ruck prospect at the upcoming drafts our team balance will be fine.

Too many mids, like the Cats, the Saints & the Doggies?

I fail to understand how having Scully, Trengove & pick 18 is ok but having Scully, Trengove & Burgoyne = too many mids.

We do not have 1 single midfielder that would slot into a top 4 midfield right now, the more top shelf prospects the merrier.

Our backline is set, our forwardline may be too. Provided we get another KPF & ruck prospect at the upcoming drafts our team balance will be fine.

We have a BUNCH of young midfielders that were all either high draft picks or have shown something when playing in the midfield. Drafting two mids with the first two picks of the draft this year even adds more to our list and i expect those two to contribute and be slotted in the side near immediately!

Others who were high draft picks or have already shown something in the mid-

Blease, Strauss, Jetta, Grimes, Morton, Beamer, Jones, Brock, Sylvia, Buckley + Scully & Trengove, with vets still on the list- Jmac, Bruce and Green,Davey all able to play in the mid too then you add Burgoyne...17 possible midfielders??????

By the way i was in the Butcher pick 2 camp but Trengove looks way to good to pass up! I predict some hard decisions will have to be made no matter what!

Edited by mousey

I am pretty sure Burgoyne is Melbourne bound if we want him.

The facts are that Hawthorn will struggle to fit him in their salary cap and will struggle to come up with any sort of adequate compensation. Hawthorn will not give up pick 8 in the last uncompromised draft for several years for Burgoyne. If Hawthorn can find a way of fitting Burgoyne in its salary cap it will have to offer pick 23 plus a player or trade away one of their stars for an earlier pick.

Essendon is in a similar position with draft picks and will not offer pick 9 but may offer pick 24 plus a player. I can't see Essendon giving away and star to collect an earlier draft pick so as they can pick up Burgoyne and Burgoyne has much less connection with this club.

Melbourne would be able to keep pick 1 and pick 2 and offer pick 18. I doubt a player will be required. Simply this is the best offer Port will get and if they don't take it Burgoyne will fall through to the pre-season draft where Melbourne gets him for free.

The reason why Judd went to Carlton is two fold:

1. Carlton has pick 1 & 3 and had the picks and players and room in the salary cap to trade.

2. Judd chose Carlton (despite his heart telling him Melbourne) because Carlton was completing its rebuilding stage where as Melbourne was just starting theirs. Simply in Chris Judds eyes Carlton was 3 years ahead of Melbourne in the re-build, he wants another premiership and saw he had more chance at doing this with Carlton than Melbourne. Guess what....... he was right. Judd would be 30 before Melbourne premiership window opened again and that’s assuming everything and I mean everything went right. Also throw in some extra incentive from Visy etc and you can understand his decision. (Chris Judd has told me this in person and yes I know him personally, but I have always felt apprehensive to discuss him.)

With Burgoyne, Melbourne is in the position Carlton was with Judd. Ironically because we tanked and did not win 5 games and received pick 1 & 2 at the end of our rebuild. Now Melbourne holds all the aces. Trust me Burgoyne is Melbourne bound if Melbourne want him. The knee is a major concern (not dissimilar to Judds groin in 07). If our medical staff give him the ok and the FD decide he fits our profile (not to old) he is highly likely to be a demon next year.

From the Hun in the last couple of hours:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/hawt...f-1225774592765

Hawthorn's salary cap situation is going to be very interesting in the next couple of years. It strikes me as odd that a team can be going after the likes of Burgoyne, Sandilands and Gibson and yet still be able to accommodate the up and coming youngsters, many of whom are now premiership players.

I am pretty sure Burgoyne is Melbourne bound if we want him.

The facts are that Hawthorn will struggle to fit him in their salary cap and will struggle to come up with any sort of adequate compensation. Hawthorn will not give up pick 8 in the last uncompromised draft for several years for Burgoyne. If Hawthorn can find a way of fitting Burgoyne in its salary cap it will have to offer pick 23 plus a player or trade away one of their stars for an earlier pick.

Essendon is in a similar position with draft picks and will not offer pick 9 but may offer pick 24 plus a player. I can't see Essendon giving away and star to collect an earlier draft pick so as they can pick up Burgoyne and Burgoyne has much less connection with this club.

Melbourne would be able to keep pick 1 and pick 2 and offer pick 18. I doubt a player will be required. Simply this is the best offer Port will get and if they don't take it Burgoyne will fall through to the pre-season draft where Melbourne gets him for free.

The reason why Judd went to Carlton is two fold:

1. Carlton has pick 1 & 3 and had the picks and players and room in the salary cap to trade.

2. Judd chose Carlton (despite his heart telling him Melbourne) because Carlton was completing its rebuilding stage where as Melbourne was just starting theirs. Simply in Chris Judds eyes Carlton was 3 years ahead of Melbourne in the re-build, he wants another premiership and saw he had more chance at doing this with Carlton than Melbourne. Guess what....... he was right. Judd would be 30 before Melbourne premiership window opened again and that’s assuming everything and I mean everything went right. Also throw in some extra incentive from Visy etc and you can understand his decision. (Chris Judd has told me this in person and yes I know him personally, but I have always felt apprehensive to discuss him.)

With Burgoyne, Melbourne is in the position Carlton was with Judd. Ironically because we tanked and did not win 5 games and received pick 1 & 2 at the end of our rebuild. Now Melbourne holds all the aces. Trust me Burgoyne is Melbourne bound if Melbourne want him. The knee is a major concern (not dissimilar to Judds groin in 07). If our medical staff give him the ok and the FD decide he fits our profile (not to old) he is highly likely to be a demon next year.

Yes, but at what cost do MFC want him?

I can imagine us not getting him because we rightly feel we are in a position of power during negotiations and play to our hand, whilst Hawthorn is willing to offer higher picks and Essendon will offer Lovett.

In the end Port will go for the best result for them. OR we will end up with him in the PSD.

I'm not concerned about how much he costs per year, even if his knee is done.

I'm more concerned about the cost to get him on the list.

If we give up any of our top 20 picks, for a player (even one as good as Burgoyne) that will be 27 shortly who also has dodgy knees, i will go on a killing rampage down at the MFC. PSD pick 1 would be okay, as we would be getting something for nothing (MFC can no longer afford to be seen as a nice club).

With picks 1,2 &18 we would get Scully, Trengove and a decent KPF. We've been through too much pain these past 3 years to stuff it all up at the final hurdle.

I know its only twitter, but Schwabby's words are:

Tim Harrington and Chris Connolly shaking trees to see what falls out re pre-season draft. Don't believe everything you read. Stay tuned.

Could apply to anything, but worth bearing in mind.

FWIW i was told by Jason Davenport's mum that Jason reckons Mark Williams is fantastic and that there is a good atmosphere down there at the club. apparently a lot more accomodating than Geelong. Just thought it worth pointing it out that maybe its not as bad as everyone says over there.

FWIW i was told by Jason Davenport's mum that Jason reckons Mark Williams is fantastic and that there is a good atmosphere down there at the club. apparently a lot more accomodating than Geelong. Just thought it worth pointing it out that maybe its not as bad as everyone says over there.

Accommodating?

So, while Geelong is on track to play in its 3rd straight GF, Port Adelaide is..?

Maybe they should be LESS accommodating to the players? I thought this was part of the problem - the tail was wagging the dog

If we give up any of our top 20 picks, for a player (even one as good as Burgoyne) that will be 27 shortly who also has dodgy knees, i will go on a killing rampage down at the MFC. PSD pick 1 would be okay, as we would be getting something for nothing (MFC can no longer afford to be seen as a nice club).

With picks 1,2 &18 we would get Scully, Trengove and a decent KPF. We've been through too much pain these past 3 years to stuff it all up at the final hurdle.

Demon Desciple... you are a fool.

pick 18 is a lottery at the best of times.

In this draft, pick 18 has the true intrinsic value of a pick 30.

I would take Shaun Burgoyne for pick 18 + a player in an absolute heartbeat. We are no more than 2 years away from pushing finals and top 4. We will need quality players and expeirence.

Burgoyne is an All Australian quality player, and if fit would no doubt be our number 1 best player at the club.

How you could say that is remarkable. Clearly you don't know much about footy outside Victoria

Demon Desciple... you are a fool.

pick 18 is a lottery at the best of times.

In this draft, pick 18 has the true intrinsic value of a pick 30.

I would take Shaun Burgoyne for pick 18 + a player in an absolute heartbeat. We are no more than 2 years away from pushing finals and top 4. We will need quality players and expeirence.

Burgoyne is an All Australian quality player, and if fit would no doubt be our number 1 best player at the club.

How you could say that is remarkable. Clearly you don't know much about footy outside Victoria

Yeah, only took Sylvia 2 years to figure it out, and it'll be the same with all our young guns from this coming draft.

:unsure:

Two years is a little ambitious.

Edited by Enforcer25

We have a BUNCH of young midfielders that were all either high draft picks or have shown something when playing in the midfield. Drafting two mids with the first two picks of the draft this year even adds more to our list and i expect those two to contribute and be slotted in the side near immediately!

Others who were high draft picks or have already shown something in the mid-

Blease, Strauss, Jetta, Grimes, Morton, Beamer, Jones, Brock, Sylvia, Buckley + Scully & Trengove, with vets still on the list- Jmac, Bruce and Green,Davey all able to play in the mid too then you add Burgoyne...17 possible midfielders??????

By the way i was in the Butcher pick 2 camp but Trengove looks way to good to pass up! I predict some hard decisions will have to be made no matter what!

Is 17 a problem? If you look at others teams lists I think you'll find that is around the mark. Keep in mind nearly all those players you listed are capable of, & in many cases preferred, playing somewhere else & several of them will never have the engine to be full time midfielders, there are others you've left off though.

Trengove is the 2nd best player in the draft & that is why we will pick him & if he reaches his potential he will be capable of playing almost anywhere we need him. Did you think Aaron Davey would ever play half back when you first saw him play? Where will Morton be playing in 4 years?

You have not listed 17 'midfielders', you have listed 17 good small-medium players capable of playing in a variety of positions.

As long as we continue to replinish our KPP & ruck stocks each draft our list will maintain balance.

What do we know about Burgoyne's knee? I read that it was a scrape or clean up not a reco or major op. He has taken longer to get over it than is usual but I would be happy to trade pick 18 and Jones for him.

Well.. I would have to presume that the club would do its due dilligence and make sure Burgoyne's knee is assessed as in any ways it can be beofre truly talking turkey.

In a way Im not really fussed either way..if we get him for a reasonable sum or trade ( picks..players..whatever )then all well and good. If we dont.. we are still well on the track to decent footy.

What it does , for me, throw up in this scenario is the futures of several of our existing players. if you suddenly have the likes of Burgoyne, Scully and Trengove in the middle then how important are Brocky , Jones and Beamer ?? Valenti would obviously be going on a long holiday and Im sure he wont be alone. Surely the club has ideas regarding Blease etc. Could be getting a little crowded in the sqaure :rolleyes:

Rule #1 - You do not trade first round draft picks

I think all clubs have now learnt this, even carlton will understand when kennedy and masten are killing it

I'm sure the swans agree with you.

It probably kills them that they only have Jolly, in the top 4 ruckman in the afl, and not Lynden dunn.

A trade for a first round pick can, in certain circumtances be extremely clever.

BTW... Judd (the best player in the afl, or at least top 3) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Masten, Kennedy and Notte

Anyone who thinks otherwise is mad

Rule #1 - You do not trade first round draft picks

I think all clubs have now learnt this, even carlton will understand when kennedy and masten are killing it

Pick 18 is not first round.

And it certainly isn't near the equivalent of a 1st Rd pick this year.

I would give that and a player (depending on the player) very quickly.

The only problem is Hawthorn have Pick 9 and no reason, other than their desire for a backman, to not give that pick to PA.

I'm a cynic, and I think Burgoyne's management are using us as leverage against PA to get a deal over the line with Hawthorn.

I'm a cynic, and I think Burgoyne's management are using us as leverage against PA to get a deal over the line with Hawthorn.

I agree.

Most of the Press blurb is fed to journos by player managers. its good copy for the papers to print a claim by person W's manager that X, Y and Z clubs are showing interest in person W.

There is too little fact going around at this time of year. Forums like this perennially jump at shadows which in the light of days have little or no truth beyond the hype.