The Jack Trengove thread

H_T

Trengove will be an absolute gun and I standby my opinion that we should draft him, but as cynical as this seems, does anyone think we can actually keep him past 2 or 3 seasons? Watching Thompson, play for the Crows today, reminded me of what can happen. Players, also have seemingly become disloyal to clubs that have picked them, by wanting to return home as soon as possible. Reading all the trade threads, if any of the rumours are true about a number of players wishing to return to their home states, then this is becoming increasingly more acceptable. However, at the same time, I watched Gibbs today and I doubt he'll be one wanting to return to SA any time soon, so I suppose Trengove might stick around. We have to make sure we continue to develop a strong club culture, that makes these kids want to stick around. Thoughts?

We can't keep avoiding interstate talent, if it's the best, just for fear of losing them.

Carlton don't have a habit of losing their bests interstate. They've concentrated on making their club a very proud & distinguished, (through the eyes of Blue baggers), and they're players stay.

We must Produce a proud, friendly, and open club, one which rejoices in it's rich history & success. One which leads on & off field, within football & the community.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We can't keep avoiding interstate talent, if it's the best, just for fear of losing them.

Carlton don't have a habit of losing their bests interstate. They've concentrated on making their club a very proud & distinguished, (through the eyes of Blue baggers), and they're players stay.

We must Produce a proud, friendly, and open club, one which rejoices in it's rich history & success. One which leads on & off field, within football & the community.

Totally agree, and I have noticed this happening all year. The Melbourne Football Club now seems to be a strong, united and very proud club with a bright future on and off the field. As a result this will extend to the playing group giving them even more incentive to play for the pride of the jumper. Young blokes who come into this team need to feel like they are part of the next generation of this great club, a club with real promise and a great all round culture.

I tend to think that this will be evident to all new draftees, most of which just want to play at this level, irrespective of club or location. Once they become a part of the club, form friendships within the playing group, and begin the next phase of their life as a professional footballer, 9 times out of 10 they will feel a sense of loyalty and belonging that will drive them in working towards reaching the ultimate success with THEIR club. While few wish to go home, most will not, and if they feel that they are a part of something truly great, they won't be going anywhere.

I think the culture that our club is now fostering, will be the major drawcard in retaining and attracting players in the future.

Posting at 9am on Sunday morning??

Did I leave you on the hook all nite? Sorry man. ;)

Ya can edit up big posts all day.. I was playing it up a bit, but i didnt twist anything - the facts are there to see.

Ill be sensible for just a sec.

Here's the quote for ya:

"..So i have been trying to improve in that aspect of the game." (regarding hardness/wussiness)

My point was, 'it was mentally something he was still addressing'. Right. Yours was 'No, its history - not a concern anymore'. Right.

"Have been trying to improve" -his words- are in present tense, it supports the point i was making (obviously he must still be addressing it- he's the one who mentioned it) and ie: can not be a trend ONLY confined to his childhood, or the past.

But rather, something that has been ongoing since then (his childhood / past).

You're the one (not the kid himself) but YOU have decided he's toughened up and that the jobs complete (or there abouts) and you base your arguement on the opinion you created, that i or others might not necessarily agree with.

M'Kay.

So where was i wrong?

In fact I've made a correct assessment - not even an opinion - of the words Trengove himself used.

(My opinion for the record is - he's identified a weakness to work on, which is really good - going in Hard needs to be second-nature at AFL level- so keep improving, make it a strength!

Again, - Happy with either Trengove / Morabito - for pick 2.. just prefer the latter. Both should be stars.)

Only an idiot would argue over semantics.

And its 'night', not 'nite'.

I just gave some basic examples. I could have mentioned Simon Black who cried when drafted to Brisbane, but never went back to WA. Or Victorians Luke Power who stayed. Or Victorian, Leppitsch. Or the Victorian, Scott Brothers. Or Lappin. I could go on and on and on and on and on. But you'd probably highlight Des headland, who was the only one to leave.

Nearly all players want to be one club players.

The go home factor virtually never concerns me. And it certainly doesn't with Trengove.

No, as I said in my original post, the one thing those players all have in common is that they played/play for Brisbane. What does Brisbane have? A strong club culture. If we build this, I hope it's enough. It has been in those cases.

I agree and I think we're doing this. The three retirees wearing Melbourne scarfs today was a great touch.

Todays NAB rising Star winner Daniel Rich emphasises for me the value in drafting a ready to go established player. Trengove has played at the highest levelsavefor AFL. He plays SAFL . He equits himslef very well...indeed sufficinet to have won BOG. Rich also had played at State League level in WA and the benefits of thismust surely speak for themsleves.

Often with a draftee there is still that elemetn of "will they realise that youthful potential" ..and will they make it amongst men. Beiing king of the kids is one thing , mixing it for real is quite different.

At pick 2 you hopefully want some sort of assurance it will get results. I just cant feel so inclined with Butcher who ay wel turn ot ok, if notbetter than OK...but I want more than a tenuous promise of delivered talent and I can get that if pick 2 is used for Trengove. Im pretty well damn sure he'll play decent footy, at the very least. Not nearly so much guesswork with this lad :)

Daniel Rich emphasises for me the value in drafting a ready to go established player

Adam Goodes spent his entire first year playing reserves.

Paul Chapman played 4 in his first year (best game of 7 possessions) and 9 in his second (best of 14 possessions).

Brendan Fevola played 2 games in his first year for a combined statistical total of 2 handballs and a tackle.

Sam Fisher played 7 games in his first year averaging under 10 touches a game.

Nathan Bock played 18 and averaged single figures in possessions.

Dale Morris averaged single figures in his 17 first year games, and he came off the rookie list as a 21 year old.

Matthew Scarlett played 1 game in his first year, and 5 in his second, for a total average of under 4 touches a game.

All except Goodes were 2008 All Australians.

Why is it important to draft ready made players?

Adam Goodes spent his entire first year playing reserves.

Paul Chapman played 4 in his first year (best game of 7 possessions) and 9 in his second (best of 14 possessions).

Brendan Fevola played 2 games in his first year for a combined statistical total of 2 handballs and a tackle.

Sam Fisher played 7 games in his first year averaging under 10 touches a game.

Nathan Bock played 18 and averaged single figures in possessions.

Dale Morris averaged single figures in his 17 first year games, and he came off the rookie list as a 21 year old.

Matthew Scarlett played 1 game in his first year, and 5 in his second, for a total average of under 4 touches a game.

All except Goodes were 2008 All Australians.

Why is it important to draft ready made players?

Its not.

Especially for a team not in contention in 2010 like MFC.

Just couldn't be bothered pointing it out with a bit of research. Nice work. ;)

Todays NAB rising Star winner Daniel Rich emphasises for me the value in drafting a ready to go established player. Trengove has played at the highest levelsavefor AFL. He plays SAFL . He equits himslef very well...indeed sufficinet to have won BOG. Rich also had played at State League level in WA and the benefits of thismust surely speak for themsleves.

Often with a draftee there is still that elemetn of "will they realise that youthful potential" ..and will they make it amongst men. Beiing king of the kids is one thing , mixing it for real is quite different.

At pick 2 you hopefully want some sort of assurance it will get results. I just cant feel so inclined with Butcher who ay wel turn ot ok, if notbetter than OK...but I want more than a tenuous promise of delivered talent and I can get that if pick 2 is used for Trengove. Im pretty well damn sure he'll play decent footy, at the very least. Not nearly so much guesswork with this lad :)

spot on!

i like the idea of Butcher because there arent many tall forwards available these days.. but it is still a risk..

..Trengove is virtually a sure thing and i dont want to waste a season of tanking for someone who turns out 'average'

Guest eraadyn

Just a note out of the blue, but does anyone else find it slightly ironic that last year Port drafted Jackson Trengrove from the Cannons and this year we are talking about drafting Jack Trengrove from Sturt (a team that almost blocked Port's admission into the AFL)?

How did he go yesterday i noticed someone said he kicked 2. the SANFL website is a joke and doesn't update scores and match details

Yeah the site is pretty poor & usually takes a day or 2 to update.Im trying to remember i site i found which lists stats player by player over every game in the SANFL & reserves.You pick a player & you can check everything,ill keep trying but as of now im off to go buy a paper & then ill get back to you on his stats from yesterday ok

Yeah the site is pretty poor & usually takes a day or 2 to update.Im trying to remember i site i found which lists stats player by player over every game in the SANFL & reserves.You pick a player & you can check everything,ill keep trying but as of now im off to go buy a paper & then ill get back to you on his stats from yesterday ok

Just had a quick look at the paper.Trengoves stats. 14 kicks,6 handballs,3 marks & 2 goals & was named in Sturts best players/Hope that helps a little

http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/club_news/152/

Trengove, a Crows supporter, admits his preference would be to remain in Adelaide but "as long as I'm on an AFL list" he will be satisfied with the draft.

"I would like to stay in South Australia but, in saying that, I would not mind the challenge of playing with an interstate club," he said

I am very much in the best available camp (which appears to be the 2 mids camp) and I had a thought (or maybe I read something on here that suggested a similar thing) yesterday that reinforced my view. Those from the Butcher camp seem to want him because he is the best tall forward on offer and our forward line is the area most in need of improvement. And it is certainly our greatest concern - Jurrah has shown he is something special, but we are yet to see if Watts, Maric, Wonna, Bate, Petterd etc are going to be good enough, individually and collectively.

But we do have another player who has consistently shown himself to be a very effective forward....Green. And I put it that drafting Trengove and further shoring up our midfield could allow him to move forward, leaving us with a potentially very competent forwardline - Jurrah, Watts, Green, Bate, Wonna, Maric, Petterd, Morton/Sylvia, possibly Garland. We have enough good, or potentially good, options that we don't need to draft for need - and that applies across the ground (and is why im so opposed to trading players for more draft picks). We could use more ruck depth but otherwise IMO we are covered and should go for best available at 1 and 2, i.e. scully and trengove, and look to needs at 18 with whoever is available of Vardy/Panos/Carlisle/Griffiths etc.

Edited by godees

Scotty Thompson went home to be closer to his sick brother. This was a rare situation and doesnt really relate to drafting Trengrove. Not many good players go home because of homesickness...and anyway im sure things like this will be sussed out during pre draft interviews. MFC will make the right decision.

I am very much in the best available camp (which appears to be the 2 mids camp) and I had a thought (or maybe I read something on here that suggested a similar thing) yesterday that reinforced my view. Those from the Butcher camp seem to want him because he is the best tall forward on offer and our forward line is the area most in need of improvement. And it is certainly our greatest concern - Jurrah has shown he is something special, but we are yet to see if Watts, Maric, Wonna, Bate, Petterd etc are going to be good enough, individually and collectively.

But we do have another player who has consistently shown himself to be a very effective forward....Green. And I put it that drafting Trengove and further shoring up our midfield could allow him to move forward, leaving us with a potentially very competent forwardline - Jurrah, Watts, Green, Bate, Wonna, Maric, Petterd, Morton/Sylvia, possibly Garland. We have enough good, or potentially good, options that we don't need to draft for need - and that applies across the ground (and is why im so opposed to trading players for more draft picks). We could use more ruck depth but otherwise IMO we are covered and should go for best available at 1 and 2, i.e. scully and trengove, and look to needs at 18 with whoever is available of Vardy/Panos/Carlisle/Griffiths etc.

I hadn't thought of that. It would be great to see Green slotting them through from 50m out on the boundary.

My preference in the draft is definitely to take Trengove rather than Butcher. I also think Trengove looks a better prospect than Morabito.

In an item in the Herald Sun today, Hutchy states;

"South Australian Jack Trengove has emerged as the youngster most likely to join Tom Scully at Melbourne.

The Demons are leaning towards taking two midfielders with their first two picks in the draft despite their obvious forward-line needs. They will opt for the best-player, rather than best needed-player."

"South Australian Jackson Trengrove has emerged as the youngster most likely to join Tom Scully at Melbourne..."

Had a laugh when I saw that.

Assuming he comes to the club, we should, as supporters, have a nice big campaign to make the commentators get his name right. Along with Petterds. While we're at it is it Chainy or Cheeny (as in Cheesy)?

Maybe we should get Gaddy to do a bit about it on the footy show to really drill it in.