• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

PENULTIMATE

Demonland

PENULTIMATE by Whispering Jack

So bizarre was the scenario that was painted for Melbourne's penultimate game of the 2009 season against Carlton that it was reminiscent of a story of heroism that could have come straight out of the movies. However, the tale that comes to mind isn't from one of the epic sagas like "High Noon" or "Shane" but rather more of the style of "Blazing Saddles".

In that film, Politician Hedley Lamar tries to take over Rock Ridge in order to put his railroad through the town. His early attempts to intimidate the townsfolk almost work:

Reverend Johnson: "Now I don't have to tell you good folks what's been happening in our beloved little town. Sheriff murdered, crops burned, stores looted, people stampeded, and cattle raped. The time has come to act, and act fast. I'm leaving."

Not all of the good people of Rock Ridge are frightened so easily and most remain defiant. So Lamar has comes up with Plan B:

Hedley Lamarr: [to himself] "A sheriff! But law and order is the last thing I want. Wait a minute... maybe I could turn this thing into my advantage. If I could find a sheriff who so offends the citizens of Rock Ridge that his very appearance would drive them out of town."

Now, as Robbie Burns used to say about the best laid schemes of mice and men, "they go often askew". Black Bart, the new sheriff, has a different plan - he becomes the hero. Lamar's grand plan backfires and he ends up a ruined man.

And now back to the football.

For some time, the Demons have been like the folk down there in Rock Ridge - fighting hard for their survival. They needed a plan of their own to help them out of their troubles. Well, whatever the plan was that they devised in order to overcome the rampant Blues (and I'm assuming there was a plan and that the objective was to win), it came unstuck in rather a disastrous fashion when the Demons lost by 57 points yesterday. As a result, they now face the almost certain ignominy of ruin in AFL football - the wooden spoon.

So what went wrong?

As often happens, it all started at the selection table. Clint Bartram and Lynden Dunn, the club's best taggers, were left out of the team along with Brad Miller.

Wait a minute!

Those blokes put in reasonably decent performances last week, didn't they? And don't the Blues have a number of dangerous players worthy of being tagged or at least kept on a tight leash? Chris Judd? Marc Murphy, Bryce Gibbs? Anyone?

Oh. That's right, we should never disabuse ourselves of the fact that selection is about anything other than "team balance" and therefore, in order to provide some of this much-needed team balance which must have been missing last week when the side achieved the club's biggest victory in three years and its first four quarter win since 2005, it was necessary to bring in a raw and underdone young ruckman in Jake Spencer, a second game rookie in Jordie McKenzie and a retiree in Matty Whelan.

If this was Plan A, I couldn't wait to see Plan B which was already looming on the horizon when the siren blared to open proceedings at Etihad Stadium.

Thankfully, the Carlton brains trust decided this game provided an opportunity for their team to play footloose and fancy-free and it turned into a high scoring affair that suited the forwards on both sides. The teams traded goal for goal for most of the first quarter with the Blues getting a late break and forging two goals ahead.

The Demons had late inclusion Mark Jamar in fine fettle kicking goals up forward and they surged back a couple of times until the Blue Boys took control with a flurry of goals midway through the second term and they eventually took a 26-point lead into the rooms at half time. Brendan Fevola, who had been held under a tight rein to that stage by James Frawley, put the game well out of reach with four goals in the third term on his way to seven.

The Demons had their share of heroes starting with two solid goal kicking contributors of five goals each to Jamar and Russell Robertson. Who could ever have guessed that they would produce two forwards who could kick that many for them in the same game? We haven't seen a five goal or better game from a Demon in yonks (since Robbo kicked 6 against the Blues in the famous tank game of round 22, 2007). Yesterday, at various stages they had a super tall forward set up with as many as three ruckmen up there at the same time. It's not certain whether this was part of Plan A or Plan B but a crumbing forward working at the feet of all those big men would also have been handy.

The closest Melbourne had was a superb effort from first year player, Neville Jetta who had 24 touches and booted a couple of goals. Jetta wasn't the only youngster to impress. I'm really starting to like McKenzie for his persistence at the football. He could become something in the future. Skipper James McDonald and Aaron Davey were both handy although the latter started quietly. Matthew Bate and Colin Sylvia each staked separate claims for the year's biggest improver. Keep that up and they could be regular heroes.

The more I look at this game, the more apparent it becomes that, despite the near 10 goal margin, things didn't go that wrong at all.

Melbourne had its good and its bad patches in a game played by both sides at rather pedestrian pace but when you look at the team the Demons put on the park, could we really have expected much more from them?

In their last start the Blues beat finals aspirants Port Adelaide by a similar margin at AAMI Stadium. The week before, they collected a big scalp in one of the premiership favourites Geelong. Not that long ago, the smashed the Swans at the Docklands by 10 goals. On that basis they should have destroyed an injury-plagued Melbourne by 100 points.

I don't like using injuries as an excuse but the Demons had their share of players in the wars again yesterday. Ricky Petterd's groin went early and stalwart Matty Whelan tragically succumbed to a hamstring that will curtail his career to 149 games as a great servant of the Melbourne Football Club. Liam Jurrah was getting treatment at times in the first half but made it back onto the park in the second. The limitation on rotations, while not affecting the outcome, would certainly have affected the final margin as the Dees tired in the latter part of the game. No doubt some jerk in the media will pick up on the fact that the consequent reduced number of interchanges affected the team's performance and raise a suspicious eyebrow. That's what makes these people jerks!

But the injury situation affected Melbourne's winning plans more deeply than simply adding to player fatigue at the end of a long, hard game at the end of a long, hard season. The twenty-two who represented the Melbourne Football Club against Carlton (including three uplifted rookies in McKenzie, Jake Spencer and Shane Valenti) were just about the remainder in an otherwise bare cupboard. One or two more will play at Casey today and that's all folks. Compare that with a Collingwood that was able to field a full contingent of their listed players in the VFL yesterday and the plight of the Demons in this the penultimate round of 2009 becomes clear.

They had no other alternative but to come up with a weird and whacky game plan that appeared to be straight out of a Mel Brooks farce. Despite the big defeat, the young Demons, their coach and the football department still came out of the game smelling like roses which is much more than you can say about

!

Melbourne 4.2.26 8.3.51 12.4.76 15.6.96

Carlton 6.3.39 12.5.77 18.9.127 24.9.153

Goals

Melbourne Jamar Robertson 5 Jetta 2 Johnson Jurrah Moloney

Carlton Fevola 7 Garlett 4 Simpson 3 Houlihan Scotland 2 Betts Carrazzo Gibbs Kreuzer Murphy O'hAilpin

Best

Melbourne McDonald Jamar Sylvia Jetta Bate Davey Robertson

Carlton Gibbs Murphy Fevola Judd Garlett Carrazzo Houlihan

Injuries

Melbourne Petterd (adductor) Whelan (hamstring)

Carlton Hadley (suspected broken arm)

Changes

Melbourne Jones (illness) replaced in selected side by Jamar

Carlton Armfield (ankle) replaced in selected side by Anderson

Reports - nil.

Umpires Farmer James Pannell

Crowd 37,433 at Etihad Stadium

So what went wrong?

So what went wrong?

oh just a little bit of this....and a whole lot of that !!!! :lol: :D :D :D :lol:

Probably only half a yard and a few pound of grey matter away from imposing ourselves on thsi competition.

Just shows the difference between playing for top four and playing out the year. They tried...but some strange footy amongst all of that. Must be very very hard when undermanned and under skilled ( relaltively )

If ya havent the cattle its hard to get a decent steak

We're just playing out the season I wouldn't expect much more.

Jetta played his best game for the season.

Jamar, Martin, Spencer and P.J showed a bit although Carlton do have a pretty poor backline.

Even with all the draft picks we are going to get we can't get anywhere near the injuries we seem to get every year cause we have no depth at all.

McLean was disgraceful. The difference between his best and his worst this year have been unbelievable. He better have a super pre season, he owes the club big time.

In that case, nothing went wrong.

Jamar wins the tap to Scully, who gets quick hands onto a running Trengove, baulks & runs & releases a beautifull pass to WAATTS. 40Mtrs out on a slight angle, goes back , & bang. Straight through the middle. What a start to the 2010 season for this young demon outfit..

Jamar wins the tap to Scully, who gets quick hands onto a running Trengove, baulks & runs & releases a beautifull pass to WAATTS. 40Mtrs out on a slight angle, goes back , & bang. Straight through the middle. What a start to the 2010 season for this young demon outfit..

:D

McLean was disgraceful. The difference between his best and his worst this year have been unbelievable. He better have a super pre season, he owes the club big time.

I agree with that, if Mclean is injured he should not be playing. And people talk of him as captain...(i did early in the year but i was wrong)

If he is playing injured he is being selfish as he is not helping the team.

Cross roads beckon....

I agree with that, if Mclean is injured he should not be playing. And people talk of him as captain...(i did early in the year but i was wrong)

If he is playing injured he is being selfish as he is not helping the team.

Cross roads beckon....

Unfair as I am sure the Club would be aware of his predicament.

Given the Club's long injury list who could an allegedly 85% fit McLean be keeping out of the team

Unfair as I am sure the Club would be aware of his predicament.

Given the Club's long injury list who could an allegedly 85% fit McLean be keeping out of the team

Not at all. If he is unfit considering our ladder position he should not be playing as it just makes his recovery worse.

He is rated as one of our guns (& i consider him a good & honest bloke) but today he had as much pace as my late grandfather, & thus should not be playing.

Not at all. If he is unfit considering our ladder position he should not be playing as it just makes his recovery worse.

He is rated as one of our guns (& i consider him a good & honest bloke) but today he had as much pace as my late grandfather, & thus should not be playing.

I tend to agree. Even if its an injury that has no chance of getting any worse, I just don't see the upside of playing him when his output is effected this much.

And if its not an injury... uh... let's just hope its an injury, ok?

I tend to agree. Even if its an injury that has no chance of getting any worse, I just don't see the upside of playing him when his output is effected this much.

And if its not an injury... uh... let's just hope its an injury, ok?

Hmm it is a worry :o

as for what went wrong...the injury to Matty Whelan, especially if it stops him getting his 150th game send off next week.

Hard to play to a normal standard when you play in the forward pocket for most of the game.

I wonder where people get the idea McLean had pace, he has never had pace! ever!

He runs all day at the same pace, like a ling, like harvey and like Bate.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

What went wrong?

Backs: Most of them are on the pine, and those out there did pretty well under trying conditions.

Mids: We've had a problem with them all year and no Jones and a half fit McLean meant we would always lose that one.

Forwards: Better that expected. I didn't expect more than 10 goals from us. We had no crumbers but that will change.

Rucks: Did pretty well. Needs some quality mids to work with but look better each game.

All in all we will be better and harder at it next year. It's just a matter of keeping the faith.

Firstly, you accuse him of being selfish for playing possibly injured when it quite clear the Club would be aware of it. If supporters are seeing issues with McLean and have done so for awhile then its fanciful to think that the Club would not be aware.

Secondly, how do you know if he is injured and what his injury is and that it will make his recovery worse?

Who would you have selected in his place that is actually fit at the moment? Trent Zomer?

But if he is injured then great care should be taken with him. I would prefer him to be put on the injured list next week and let Wheels run around on one leg.

Firstly, you accuse him of being selfish for playing possibly injured when it quite clear the Club would be aware of it. If supporters are seeing issues with McLean and have done so for awhile then its fanciful to think that the Club would not be aware.

Secondly, how do you know if he is injured and what his injury is and that it will make his recovery worse?

Who would you have selected in his place that is actually fit at the moment? Trent Zomer?

But if he is injured then great care should be taken with him. I would prefer him to be put on the injured list next week and let Wheels run around on one leg.

I think most people just hope he is injured, then go ahead and dream up his selfishness, because they're all praying he's not actually as limited a footballer as this year (and others) would suggest.

I think most people just hope he is injured, then go ahead and dream up his selfishness, because they're all praying he's not actually as limited a footballer as this year (and others) would suggest.

McLean was interviwed on radio before and after the game. He was asked if he was carrying an injury. He said NO. I got the impression that he was telling the truth. If this is the case it is a real worry. I believe he is only contracted to end 2009.

Mclean = tradable. Not saying he will be, but he is no longer "untouchable". Doesn't seem to impose himself like others do, with his amount of experience. Hopefully just a niggling injury has slowed him down , otherwise he will struggle to keep up with the kids coming thru. Just gets caught too much with the pill, before he can effectively dispose of it. Needs a season of pro sprinting IMO. Must have a preseason uninterupted and full of explosiveness to continue to be a successful regular in our young side of 2010.

Edited by Still Waiting

I believe Brock when he says he's not injured but neverthless, I believe that he's paying the price now for a limited pre season after two years of major injury interruptions. The pace of the game keeps rising a notch each year and therefore it's essential for those like Brock who aren't endowed with great pace to have a strong off season and start 2010 fit and fresh. It will make all the difference.

Yes, it's true that only a small number of Demons will be in today's Casey team that runs out onto the wide open spaces of Casey Fields to take on the competition leaders Williamstown. That does not however, mean the result is a foregone conclusion. In yesterday's VFL games, Werribee, with just 4 AFL players beat Geelong and stand alone Port Melbourne beat Sandringham which contained a number of St. Kilda players including Luke Ball.

I know as much about Brock's injury situation as you do RR.

On yesterdays form i would hope he would be carrying an injury, because he had no influence on the game.

If he is fit then his days could be numbered. A major concern for the club.

I will give him this pre season in credit, but he must improve drastically next year as the list cannot carry sentiment.

It's too short.

I believe Brock when he says he's not injured but neverthless, I believe that he's paying the price now for a limited pre season after two years of major injury interruptions. The pace of the game keeps rising a notch each year and therefore it's essential for those like Brock who aren't endowed with great pace to have a strong off season and start 2010 fit and fresh. It will make all the difference.

Agree. Also he will be a better player with quicker and more talented players around him.