Rumour around the Traps:

Besides Josh Carr I can't think of too many players that have been traded to another team and then have wanted to go back or move on again.

Croad maybe.

But its not a long list.

I'm not thinking so much of players who have been traded as players who have actively sought to be traded. I have absolutely no issue with Moloney, for instance, but the Jeff Farmers and Chris Johnsons of the world I can do without. It seems to me that it speaks of an underlying arrogance and self-importance to say that they are better than their club and would be better off elsewhere when there are so many other people who would kill to be where they are. Surely that attitude is going to translate into the way they play. And then what happens when they decide that they're not getting enough game time or the team isn't winning enough finals? They've already shown that they don't believe in loyalty to their club...

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really have a problem with players leaving for a better opportunity (ala Simmins, Jolly and to an extent CJ). If you can't get a game at Club A due to a excess of players in your position, then as professionals earning their living, why shouldn't they leave?

I think before people go around throwing the 'mercenary' tag at Travis Boak ...

Some should remember:

Just 2 months before he was drafted - his father suddenly passed away, as a result he was very upset with the fact that he had to abandon his mother and younger sister when he was drafted by Port (remember the draft day video of Travis crying at the airport?).

He wants to come to be closer to them one would imagine.

I think before people go around throwing the 'mercenary' tag at Travis Boak ...

Some should remember:

Just 2 months before he was drafted - his father suddenly passed away, as a result he was very upset with the fact that he had to abandon his mother and younger sister when he was drafted by Port (remember the draft day video of Travis crying at the airport?).

He wants to come to be closer to them one would imagine.

Damn good memory. I forgot all about that but I do remember it vaguely.

Says a lot too.

Edited by Enforcer25

I'll be the devil's advocate. Do you think Port will be happy with that? For a former pick 5?

If it seems like a win-win for us.......

No, but were Geelong happy with pick 39 for Brent Prismall?

If he is out of contract (I don't know) and we have PSD pick 1... they really don't have too much choice if he wants to be back in vic.

No, but were Geelong happy with pick 39 for Brent Prismall?

If he is out of contract (I don't know) and we have PSD pick 1... they really don't have too much choice if he wants to be back in vic.

Point taken on Prismall. (Goes back into shell). A steal that one.

Although that draft did run deeper. This one is considered shallow. (Comes back out of shell)

Edited by High Tower

Point taken on Prismall. (Goes back into shell). A steal that one.

Although that draft did run deeper. This one is considered shallow. (Comes back out of shell)

True.

Fact is though, it is possible (but not always) to twist a team's arm to get a good deal if you have all the leverage - which we would in this case.

There are some very optimistic trades being thrown up here.

I would trade pick 2 for him, drafted at 5 and has performed at the top level. I'd probably want some change, but not much.

I wouldn't, I'd prefer to draft Trengove with pick 2.

For me picks 1 & 2 are off limits. Just my view.

There are some very optimistic trades being thrown up here.

I would trade pick 2 for him, drafted at 5 and has performed at the top level. I'd probably want some change, but not much.

Personally I'd throw optimistic trades up because we have the PSD pick as leverage and because although he's a good player, I consider him surplus to requirements once we have Trengove and Scully.

God forbid we should get Butcher, in which case i'd definitely want Boak.

This is all assuming Boak would want to come to MFC (and why not? young team on the rise that gave his mob a touch up)

For me picks 1 & 2 are off limits.

They are for the club too.

I can't see us parting with these picks unless something extraordinary comes up. I'm talking Joel Selwood or Patrick Dangerfield, not players who struggle to get regular games at Port!

Guest JACKtheRIPPER
Personally I'd throw optimistic trades up because we have the PSD pick as leverage and because although he's a good player, I consider him surplus to requirements once we have Trengove and Scully.

God forbid we should get Butcher, in which case i'd definitely want Boak.

This is all assuming Boak would want to come to MFC (and why not? young team on the rise that gave his mob a touch up)

the only one thats been touched up is you all day,you have no idea about football,i would put anyone in charge of our picks before you, you should put a dunce hat on and sit in the corner with YM and freak.

We just aren't as attractive as Carlton, being where we are.

But things can happen in October-November-December that could mean the PSD pick is very valuable.

1 and 2 are off limits.

18 can be thrown around though.

Swap Boak for Bell & Newton plus pick 34. Done deal.

You could get their pick 42 for our 34 and it would be a nice deal. They have shown interest in Bell and with Tredrea close to finished Newton may have some appeal.

I had to laugh at whoever suggested Bell and Newton. Two hacks for a young best 22 player. Yes, I'm sure PA will be rushing to sign that one.

:D :rolleyes: Yeah! Both are candidate for delisting!

Also wonder where we are going to put him with our long list of up and coming mid-fielders?

Assuming we will have Scully and Trengove, which most agree are the 2 best players in the draft, we will want rucks and tall forwards who can actually kick.

What about Jamar and Pick 18 for Boak.

Good deal I think because Lade is going to retire soon, and PA have said that they want to get a ruckman during trade week. Also Jamar is from South Australia.

Then we can get a ruckman in the preseason draft

e.g. Charman, Griffin or Seaby

I have also heard that Salopek wants to come home to Victoria because he is not getting enough game time and doesn't like Williams as coach.