Your three best midfielders

Jarka

Brief discussion from H in the Scully stats thread got me thinking about who has been our best midfielders over the last twenty years (plus I reckon I need to stop yapping on about priority picksl). Robbie has been our most recent champion so the guidelines are pick your three best midfielders you've seen since he graced the members wing. Doesn't matter what method you use to judge them, be it stats, skill or heart, just give a reason for your decision.

Third, in my opinion, is Glenn Lovett. Only played 127 games, his career decimated by lower back/hamstring problems. 1992 & 93 were his standout seasons. Great link player, could win his own ball, run all day and good disposal. He's the sort of player that we're currently desperately needing. Touch of calm class about him.

In second I've got Stephen Tingay. 162 games. Stinger in top flight was elite, he was an impact player, loved the physical side of his game and had a great long kick. Sadly he never recovered after his girlfriend at the time accidently pushed him through a glass sliding door. If he and Glenn Lovett had of managed to stay injury free then who knows what we could have achieved in the last 90's.

My standout midfielder is Todd Viney. 233 games. Not the best kick (far from it), nor the best handball or mark, but what he lacked in class he made up in spades with pure heart and determination. Our last genuine onfield leader. Phillipousos (or however you spell the gooses name) you blew it big time.

Apologies to Brian Wilson, A.Obst, S.Woewodin & Sugar Healy.

If your memory is a bit hazy try this link

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/alltime/melbourne.html

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Little wonder we haven't won a flag - and all due respect to the 3 you mention.

I'll give it some thought and post mine later. That said, footy has changed a lot. Flower was a true winger (when Barassi didn't have him off half back) and wasn't really even a typical mid the way they play today. But we'll work within obvious parameters.

Not including current players, and at only 24, my early footy memories are from '91 onwards, although I didn't really take a keen interest until around '96. So i'd say:

3rd, Andrew Leoncelli, 146 games, 66 goals.

No real justification behind this selection, as there were many much better players, but was a personal favorite. Loved his attack on the footy, and thought he was very underrated during the peak of his career (1998 to 2002). A genuine tough nut, who loved getting his hands dirty, laying a tackle and kicked a few great goals. Who could forget his goal with 5 seconds left on the clock to beat Adelaide at Football Park back in '01 i think it was. I don't think we've won one there since.

2nd, Todd Viney, 233 games, 92 goals.

I think you summed Viney up perfectly. All guts and determination. I remember thinking he was huuuuge when i met him at age 7, way back in '91. Admired the way he went about his footy, and i see a lot of Todd in Brent Moloney today (except Beamer uses it much better). A big tank of a bloke, ready to smash bodies and the first to stick up for his team-mates. A real "heart-and-soul" type who got the most out of his limited ability.

1st, Stephen Tingay, 162 games, 84 goals.

Stinger was an out-and-out GUN, and one of the flashiest, hardest, and most exciting midfielders i've seen in my time supporting MFC. He would have been the Chris Judd-equivalent of the early-mid 90's, IMO. So sadly cruelled by injuries, well on his way to becoming a genuine champion, but rarely played from '96 onwards.

Apologies to: Adem Yze, just missed out on 3rd spot. Unfortunately these days is remembered more for his soft efforts, selfishness and being a front-runner, but at his best, Yze was a fantastic, freakish talent, and his contribution to the club should never be forgotten.

Woey was fantastic until his Brownlow hangover that effectively ended his career. Another remembered more for all the wrong reasons.

Travis Johnstone was good, but he never got the most out of himself and was the complete opposite to guys like Todd and 'Chelly. Played for himself first and foremost, the team was secondary. Easily the most talented since at least Stinger, but largely a waste.

Glenn Lovett deserves honorable mention too, although i don't remember much of his best footy from the early 90's, but i loved how he went about it later in his career, right until the end, despite injury after injury.

Not a midfielder, but i always had a soft spot for Steven Febey. Actually, both the Febey brothers were favourties of mine.

Edited by Doggo

Little wonder we haven't won a flag - and all due respect to the 3 you mention.

I'll give it some thought and post mine later. That said, footy has changed a lot. Flower was a true winger (when Barassi didn't have him off half back) and wasn't really even a typical mid the way they play today. But we'll work within obvious parameters.

Yeah, sadly I had the same conclusion

Todd Viney was no slouch, once he got over his hammy problems..GET HIM BACK AS A COACH. Look how much the Froot Loops have improved this year & Hawthorn have Fallen. Get Viney Back....

Agree! Would love it if Todd came back and coached us to our next flag!

Would be a great, romantic story, of a former club champion and captain, serving his apprentiship in several different assistant roles, before coming back home and bringing us lucky #13.

As did I.

As did I. Without the risk of turning around this good thread of yours Jarka into another thread on the hot topic of late. It just gives more weight for the need to draft an elite midfielder. Still thinking of my 3, whilst watching the aussies chasing the leather at Lords.

1- Tingay - Sensational midfielder. One of my favourites cut down in his prime, tough & relentless, skillful.

2- Viney - Led by example, tough and uncompromising, made Team Of the Century . B&F/AA

3- TJ - Class, none were more clinical than TJ when on song. B&F. Match winner.

Edited by High Tower

Agree! Would love it if Todd came back and coached us to our next flag!

Would be a great, romantic story, of a former club champion and captain, serving his apprentiship in several different assistant roles, before coming back home and bringing us lucky #13.

I am quite Happy with Bailey, I just want Todd to teach our Midfield. But yes one day maybe todd will coach.

Todd Viney was no slouch, once he got over his hammy problems..GET HIM BACK AS A COACH. Look how much the Froot Loops have improved this year & Hawthorn have Fallen. Get Viney Back....

Oh, what we would give to have another LAURIE MITHEN. His skills and toughness would get another flag in a big hurry. Sorry, I'm just an old guy living in the glorious past.

At their best - Johnstone (at intermittent times - to say the least), Bruce (2005 - pre-guerra), and Woewodin (2000).

Overall careers - McDonald, Viney, and Yze.

I cherish hardworkers like Viney, Woey, and Macca.

But TJ at his best was orgasmic, Bruce unstoppable in 2005 (until stopped), and Yze was the best wingman in the game for about half a decade, with the sweetest delivery into our forward line.

3.Todd Viney (Toughness and work rate unparalleled)

2.Brian Wilson (Fought hard when players were falling to pieces all around him.Showed great leadership)

1. Stephen Tingay (Hard at it with smooth skills and athleticism)

Jarka, your selections are pretty spot on. Viney, G Lovett and Tingay. Although the latter two didnt play a greta amount of games they were the most influential midfielders we have had in my time. Yze played a lot across half back, otherwise he would probably replace Lovett. Leoncelli is up there as well.

Tingay was an elite player and if fit would have steered us closer to a flag.

Jarka, your selections are pretty spot on. Viney, G Lovett and Tingay. Although the latter two didnt play a greta amount of games they were the most influential midfielders we have had in my time. Yze played a lot across half back, otherwise he would probably replace Lovett. Leoncelli is up there as well.

Tingay was an elite player and if fit would have steered us closer to a flag.

Agree with most of that.

However, like others we really have not had a dominating midfielder for some time.

I do think that Woey's B'low was won on the back of a blue collar midfield that include Powell, Leoncelli, Rigoni and Junior. I thought Powell in 2000 was outstanding notwithstanding his disposal sometimes. His ability to win the contested ball in that year was fantastic. However, whether OP or otherwise he never got close to that form again. The same could be said for Woey whose game withered from then on.

This is an interesting (and slightly depressing) exercise. For me, Todd Viney is the clear-cut number 1. After that, it becomes a lot tougher. Stinga would likely have been the #1 had he played a full career minus debilitating injury. McDonald is very blue collar and is probably in there. Yze played a fair bit of footy all over the ground, not just the midfield. Woewodin pulled in a Brownlow but really only gave us 4 seasons of top shelf footy (97-2000) in his 6-year stint with us. Leoncelli (or Leon Chelly as the Herald-Sun once called him), Rigoni, A McDonald and Obst were all very serviceable. TJ was at his best brilliant. Viney's really the only one of the crop that stands out as a certainty to be in the top 3.

Edited by pantaloons

That 98' midfield must of been a good one, most mentioned would have been apart of this

Viney, Tingay, Rigoni, Yze, Woey, Leoncelli, the Febey's and TJ, I'm sure some have been missed some

Nice mix of inside midfielders and outside pace/skill

It's easy to overlook a ruckman when considering midfielders but Jimmy was a brilliant ruck rover with massive endurance. He rucked unassisted for almost 10 years and picked up heaps of possession and kicked quite a few goals.

He's my number one followed by Viney at 2 and Stinga at 3 (what a shame we didn't see more of him).