Wheres Wheatley?

grant

What has happened to Paul Wheatley? he hasnt played a game this year and is not on the injury list...I would have expected that after a strong 2008 season he would be amoungst them? or then how is he going down at Casey?

From MFC site:

Arguably one of the most improved players in the AFL, Wheatley had a fine season in 2008 bettering anything he’d done in his previous eight seasons. Had more disposals (462 at 24 a game), marks (124 at six a game) and tackles (41) than before and five times he topped 30 disposals or better. Gathered a career-high 36 touches against West Coast in round 20 and collected three Brownlow Medal votes for that performance. Finished third in the AFL for defensive clearances with 84. A fine running defender, he becomes a 10-year player for the Demons in 2009.

Some posters have called for him to be axed, but the bloke is only 28 years old and in my opinion he was the Dees best defender last season.

What has happened to Paul Wheatley? he hasnt played a game this year and is not on the injury list...I would have expected that after a strong 2008 season he would be amoungst them? or then how is he going down at Casey?

From MFC site:

Arguably one of the most improved players in the AFL, Wheatley had a fine season in 2008 bettering anything he’d done in his previous eight seasons. Had more disposals (462 at 24 a game), marks (124 at six a game) and tackles (41) than before and five times he topped 30 disposals or better. Gathered a career-high 36 touches against West Coast in round 20 and collected three Brownlow Medal votes for that performance. Finished third in the AFL for defensive clearances with 84. A fine running defender, he becomes a 10-year player for the Demons in 2009.

Some posters have called for him to be axed, but the bloke is only 28 years old and in my opinion he was the Dees best defender last season.

Wheatleys time is up sadly. He is not up to it. He played a good season last year, because we were so crap. Yes he is a mighty kick but i still don't believe he is in our best 22. He should be but he is not.

Wheatleys time is up sadly. He is not up to it. He played a good season last year, because we were so crap. Yes he is a mighty kick but i still don't believe he is in our best 22. He should be but he is not.

I think he'll get a couple of thank you games later this season.

Thank you Wheaters.

Yeah, from all account he's returned to mediocre Wheatley, rather than handy attacking Wheatley.

His defensive effort has never really been enough to justify him unless his attack, with that long kick, was up to it. Doesn't look like we'll see much more than some farewell games from him. He may get to play in the glorious round 22 win over St. Kilda.

The secret reason I hope St. Kilda beat Geelong this week is that I want them to go undefeated right up until they hit us in round 22. It'd be historic! They'd hate us for a generation!

Yeah, from all account he's returned to mediocre Wheatley, rather than handy attacking Wheatley.

His defensive effort has never really been enough to justify him unless his attack, with that long kick, was up to it. Doesn't look like we'll see much more than some farewell games from him. He may get to play in the glorious round 22 win over St. Kilda.

The secret reason I hope St. Kilda beat Geelong this week is that I want them to go undefeated right up until they hit us in round 22. It'd be historic! They'd hate us for a generation!

Yes that may set up a Brilliant GOOD FRIDAY Rivalry. A Time slot both clubs should Pursue.

Demons v Saints at the 'G Twilight Game. would be superb...

Yeah, it looks like Wheats time is up. I'm not sure what he would have to do in order to be selected. I can't see it happening. Maybe he'll get a farewell game late in the season. That'd be about it.

I know he's one of a handful of AFL players on the lists of NFL scouts as a future potential punter, so that might be next of his to-do list. Hopefully he has a crack at it and makes a go of it. Would be cool to see him playing over there.

From MFC site:

I agree and although as it was pointed out to me by someone on the forum our future doesn't lie with Wheatley (which I realise) but he is a good defender, a long kick and he can kick goals and I don't think we could do any worse - put him in for this week against the Eagles we have a small chance and surely we can win 1 more game

I agree and although as it was pointed out to me by someone on the forum our future doesn't lie with Wheatley (which I realise) but he is a good defender, a long kick and he can kick goals and I don't think we could do any worse - put him in for this week against the Eagles we have a small chance and surely we can win 1 more game

Surely you will have to change your name now from BBV to BBW.

Only poster to give him a chance!

nice work!

Great, now we get to be reminded how decidedly average he is before he either goes back to the 2s or continues to further clog our list.

If Bailey plays him for the rest of the season I will have officially lost all faith in him and will begin calling for his head.

Great, now we get to be reminded how decidedly average he is before he either goes back to the 2s or continues to further clog our list.

If Bailey plays him for the rest of the season I will have officially lost all faith in him and will begin calling for his head.

I have no problem with Wheatley getting a run in the final rounds:

1. He is not blocking another player who would have been taking his position.

2. He is an experienced footballer who may provide some greater guidance than is being shown out there currently

3. He has a chance to stake his future with the Club. While I think this is doubtful nevertheless.

4. He may actually give us something on field that has been missing for a while.

5. If we are going to get hammered then I would prefer such losses are inflicted on senior players than continually sapping the confidence of younger players.

5. If we are going to get hammered then I would prefer such losses are inflicted on senior players than continually sapping the confidence of younger players.

The next two weeks are our best chance of getting some wins into the kids.

While it was inevitable that Wheatley was going to get a farewell tour at some stage, it seems an odd time to do it. Firstly because he had a shocking game with Casey last weekend, and secondly become this is a game we can win, but shouldn't.

I do note however that Strauss is not named for Casey, and neither is Maric, so the options to choose from are thin.

I would have preferred to play Dunn instead of Wheatley, purely because he has been in great form at Casey, has more of a chance of saving himself from the chop at season's end and is not prone to turning it over constantly (the last thing we need).

Since West Coast are clearly tanking, this would have been an ideal week to bring in someone like Bail, instead of dropping him to the seconds.

And given the choice, Whelan ahead of Wheatley every day of the week (although both should retire).

Wheatley's time is over at Melbourne but I personally think there's 3-4 years of football left in him.

He is one of those final pieces of the puzzle players and a team thinking they are close should think about him. Less depth in the draft as well etc etc.

He's not taking a youngsters spot. Showcase him. Nothing to lose.

The next two weeks are our best chance of getting some wins into the kids.

While it was inevitable that Wheatley was going to get a farewell tour at some stage, it seems an odd time to do it. Firstly because he had a shocking game with Casey last weekend, and secondly become this is a game we can win, but shouldn't.

I do note however that Strauss is not named for Casey, and neither is Maric, so the options to choose from are thin.

I would have preferred to play Dunn instead of Wheatley, purely because he has been in great form at Casey, has more of a chance of saving himself from the chop at season's end and is not prone to turning it over constantly (the last thing we need).

Since West Coast are clearly tanking, this would have been an ideal week to bring in someone like Bail, instead of dropping him to the seconds.

And given the choice, Whelan ahead of Wheatley every day of the week (although both should retire).

So who would you have selected rather than Wheatley? Neither Strauss or Maric were chances for selection on form and neither play Wheatley's role. Nor does Dunn.

And if WCE beat last years premiers against the odds then they are certainly tanking.

And Bail?? You are kidding aren't you. If ever there was a player that has shown little at VFL level then its him. On what he has shown to date I doubt Bail will ever play in the red and blue. You can see him in the VFL 2nds this week. Good pick up.

If wheatley was 2 years younger id be keeping, personaly its just the age problem, a young player that reminds of wheatley is shannon hurn and i rate him.

Also i recon wheatley could slot into a good team and add the extra pentration of half back etc. But if we delist him unforunatly i think his afl career would be over.

So who would you have selected rather than Wheatley? Neither Strauss or Maric were chances for selection on form and neither play Wheatley's role. Nor does Dunn.

Cheney and Wheatley doesn't have a role he is a utility anyone could have replaced him. Another step backwards for the MFC.

What exactly is Wheatley's role?

He is not accountable, so essentially he is a rebounding defender.

I'd much prefer Grimes, Bennell or even Cheney to play that role (Cheney was poor on the weekend for Casey... about as poor as Wheatley! :rolleyes: ), and really that spot in the side should belong to Petterd this week, if we are ever going to see him do anything of value ever again.

Wheatley is not a KPP, he is not an on-baller, he plays what I call a "soft" role, which is one that alters to fit the game. There are 6 or so players capable of playing his role, including Dunn. I rather try younger players in new positions, to see what they can give us, than start farewell campaigns this early on.

Dunn played a few games down back previously, and has been doing everything right with Casey, to the point of dominating regularly. I'm not saying he is much good, or in fact, any good, but has the club already made their decision about him? Is he gone, can we play him and try and get some sort of trade value for him? do we know which position suits him best?

And you are kidding yourself if you don't think West Coast are tanking this week. Kerr with "general soreness"... they are not even hiding it! :unsure: