• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Our early draft picks

dee-luded

and how many of those would you have taken with pick 1 or 2?

less than half

once again your missing the point. look at bate and dunn. 2 first rounders at that awkward height. they are the exact reason why you don't pick them up.

making a list of 191-192cm players that have made it to afl level is irrelevent. Its like me saying we shouldnt care if we picked up players under 170cm because liberatore was a good player. The game has changed people

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and how many of those would you have taken with pick 1 or 2?

less than half

once again your missing the point. look at bate and dunn. 2 first rounders at that awkward height. they are the exact reason why you don't pick them up.

Cale Morton was taken in the first round.....

Don't walk under ladders, don't break mirrors, avoid looking at black cats......... :rolleyes:

You should really stop this argument now to save yourself further embarrassment. ;)

Picks 1 and 2 should be Tom Scully and Jack Trengove.

Best Key Forward at pick 18-20.

We should try and trade for another top 20 pick, but this is unlikely to happen.

I'm thinking the same.

Although I dont think we will we able to get a top 20 pick because every team will want their draft picks as GC17 are coming.

I understand what Freak is trying to say but I think he's using the wrong facts to back his argument. Some players are great at their positions like Brereton, Porplyzia, Jeff White and LeCras but they may be considered a little short for the standard height. Other players just struggle to find a position because of their inbetween height, Keplar Bradley, Bate & Dunn fall into this category. However it's not their height that's the main issue, it's their lack of agility or lack of contested marking ability (just to provide an example).

My skills of judging ability in kids isn't good enough to make a decision on a kid of Morabito, but I think there's enough other kids who are of equal quality around to not take a chance with him. I also want kids who can kick the ball.

What would you propose doing with the forwardline, Hannabal? Do you think our forwardline (let's say: Watts, Aussie, Jurrah, Maric, Bate, Sylvia etc) will be good enough? Or are you thinking, we'll use a later round pick to bolster the forwardline and use our first 3 picks to build this elite midfield? :)

With Scully and Trengrove or Morabito + best available at 3rd pick, a vastly improved mid-field, many of the current forwardline problems go away.

I understand what Freak is trying to say but I think he's using the wrong facts to back his argument. Some players are great at their positions like Brereton, Porplyzia, Jeff White and LeCras but they may be considered a little short for the standard height. Other players just struggle to find a position because of their inbetween height, Keplar Bradley, Bate & Dunn fall into this category. However it's not their height that's the main issue, it's their lack of agility or lack of contested marking ability (just to provide an example).

My skills of judging ability in kids isn't good enough to make a decision on a kid of Morabito, but I think there's enough other kids who are of equal quality around to not take a chance with him. I also want kids who can kick the ball.

yeh you're probably right. well if we pick up a player that is 191cm-192cm i could never justify it unless that player was a quick as aaron davey, could jump as high as naitanui and as tough as campbell brown. Foot skills are a must.

And who was it that said Morton was a first rounder. please don't remind me

yeh you're probably right. well if we pick up a player that is 191cm-192cm i could never justify it unless that player was a quick as aaron davey, could jump as high as naitanui and as tough as campbell brown. Foot skills are a must.

And who was it that said Morton was a first rounder. please don't remind me

I'm begining to understand your reasoning with your opinion on Morton, last night what you'ev been saying about him really stuck out. He's still young though, he still needs to fully develop, let's see what he can do after a couple more pre seasons under his belt.

Looks like we will get the first two picks WCE will surely win 5 games now.

A lot depends on how the club thinks Grimes, Wonna, Maric, Strauss and Blease will develop. If they think these (or some of them) guys will come up as class mids then i think it will be Scully and Butcher.

Another 5 goals from Matthew Panos today. Anyone seen him play? A viable key position target?

This bloke is a first rounder. would be stoked to grab him at pick 18 if possible. (doubtful though). he's 192cm i think. he's kicking a huge tally in thiscarnival too. up there with butcher as the best kpf

THere must be 16 other main forwards?

WHAt about Matera or is he small like the other ones.

I think Matera is too young for the next draft.

I am a WA Dee, so forgive any parochialism, but surely the WA side's dominance in the under-18s means that side is worth a look.

For a lower-round pick I'm always pushing the case for Lewis Jetta (19yo).

I think Matera is too young for the next draft.

I am a WA Dee, so forgive any parochialism, but surely the WA side's dominance in the under-18s means that side is worth a look.

For a lower-round pick I'm always pushing the case for Lewis Jetta (19yo).

Matera would almost certainly be going to GC17 in next years draft.

Ive been keen on Jetta too. looks like he will become a midfielder after developing, and seems to be the most talented jetta out of the lot.

WC fans reakon he will be there 2nd round pick.

Scully is a stand out. was at the 18s at Casey on the weekend, am involved with the coverage this wednesday on FS. Should be great. Some really good kids. The best thing about scully is his workrate, willingness to run to be involved, loves a hard ball, has great skill and genuine pace and poise. The full package.

No 1 without a doubt. Butcher was only ok, did a ouple of nice things, but would like to see more from him.

I suppose that we're going to have to put up with Trengove's name being mis-spelt for the next 5 months.

I hear you. I posted a reminder earlier in the thread but it appears some are either too dense or too careless to take note.

Oh well, we've already got McClean and Bates in the side; why not add Trengrove as well?

I've got no doubt Scully will go no.1 if Melbourne has first pick, but if Trengove plays like it's touted and from the short footage I've seen of him, I'd salivate at a Scully/Trengove combo at the Dees next year. What's more, they'd both be in our best side from day one.

Imagine our midfield in 3-5 years time: Scully, Trengove, Blease, Grimes, McLean, Strauss, ...

Salivating already. But what about our forward line. As two sheds posted last week, Robbo just about gone, Newton virtually a write-off (soft goals on the weekend against Willi), Miller & Bate being bit players or playing second fiddle. It leaves us Watts & Jurrah for the future and it's too early to tell with Jurrah. I agree that we should get the midfield right and get in the real cream of the competition.

I'm now leaning towards getting two elite mids - having learnt a bit more from Trengove over the weekend. For this reason: That if we go in at the draft time by picking one elite mid and one star KPF, our midfield I feel will still remain a problem. I fear we may come out 'half baked', with a so-so midfield, therefore issues may remain. But after more thought, if we get two elite mids - we go a long way to giving our midfield a new look with skill & pace to burn as well as raising our leadership within the midfield; leaving pick 18 & 35 and PSD #1(or whatever picks they are) for KPF prospects.

It goes without saying a strong midfield is important in this day and age if you want to compete for a Premiership. I'm entrenched.

If its not Scully it'll be Trengove and I'd say they are both going to be at the club come draft time.

Apparently Trengove has taken great steps in improvement of late to suggest No.1 is not all about Scully.

I'm actually quite looking forward to Wednesday. As some articles over the weekend pointed out. For those recruiters and analysers out there, you must watch the players closely at their movements throughout. You can't afford to miss any action, because what you might miss - it might be something little - might be the evidence to suggest that a particular player has the smarts/nous or moves to make it at the required level (AFL). It could be a bump or shepherd or block at a stoppage or out positioning an opponent at a contested situation. Be sure that I'll keep you guys informed on what I see come Wednesday on top of what I've seen to date.

Matera would almost certainly be going to GC17 in next years draft.

Ive been keen on Jetta too. looks like he will become a midfielder after developing, and seems to be the most talented jetta out of the lot.

WC fans reakon he will be there 2nd round pick.

Thats were we dog em ;)

Don't forget Jack Viney.

I recently sat next to his coach of the last 2 years (until this year) at a wedding. He said Todd Viney's son was the most complete junior player he has ever seen and player APS first 18 for Carey as a year 9 student and is now playing for North Adelaide where from all reports he is dominating. He said that in all his years he has never seen a player split the game apart like Viney. He said he was super fast, strong and had all the skills (as a 15yo). He said that he believed he would be a superstar and if the 2011 draft was today he would go number 1.

Now here is the good part.

As long as the father son rules are not changed in the next 27 months:

Melbourne will get him on the father son rule.

Apparently Jack Viney is a Hawthorn supporter (as Todd has been an assistant coach there) but has moved with his family back to Adelaide as Todd is now an assistant with the Crows. Despite Jack Viney being a Hawthorn supporter he has accepted that his future is almost certainly with the Demons. He has two choices. 1: Go into the 2011 draft and almost certainly end up with the new West Sydney (or maybe Tasmanian) team or go to the Dees. It will cost Melbourne its first or second round draft pick in 2011 depending on how other clubs rate him.

Lets hope we can snag another number one draft pick with the father/son rule in 2011. Add this to the mid field mix for 2012 as it will happen. We have no chance of making the finals until 2012 so this is potentially excellent news

Would Scully be able to make an immediate impact a la D. Rich at Brisbane - who had me starry eyed on Saturday night?

I see absolutely no reason why he wouldn't. Cotchin and Rich both struggled with tags in their championships. Rich was only named on the bench for the u/18 AA side last year as a result. Scully on the other hand has also been tagged, but still named best 2 or 3 times in his 4 games.

Scully doesn't have Rich's lethal left foot, but he's a more all round midfielder. Scully has an appetite for the contest, is a good kick on both feet, has good pace, and great hands at the clearances.