• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Our early draft picks

dee-luded

After watching todays games i want our picks to be as follows:

1. Tom Scully (of course)

2. Jack Trengove (didnt have a great day but could still see alot of class and skill in him today)

18. Jake Carlisle (From what i saw today is much more a complete player than Butcher and i hope we can get him at 18)

Pick ? Gary Rohan or Dustin Martin ( I dont know if they will still be available til our next pick but if they are we should grab either of them)

Pick ? This pick is tough but if christensen, collica, Sumnar, Wanganeen or Winmar are available definitely one of those boys would be great.

I would really love our first 3 picks to be scully, trengove and carlisle. Our team would start to come together nicely with those boys added to it.

Draft day cant come quick enough!!!!!!

Agree with Scully and Trengove as first two picks.

Don't think Rohan and Martin will be available for our 3rd pick, same with christensen. Hope we can get Panos at 18 because of his average performance yesterday.

Can someone, who has seen more and has more knowledge than just seeing yesterday's games (because that's my level of expertise on this), please tell me if this would be a decent plan heading into November:

Scully at 1, Morabito/Trengove/other mid at 2, and one of Carlisle/Fitzpatrick/Talia/Panos/tall prospect at 18.

Which of those would still be there at 18?

I only say that because, like the popular opinion, Butcher looks like a work in progress...

Surely one of them or Taylor from NT will be available at 18. If not then there will be some good midfielders available that have slid.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a long long way out. We also place a ridiculously big emphasis on the U18 National Championships - particularly this one telecasted day. How did Jamie Bennell and Laim Jurrah go at the championships last year?

Good on you!

Can we not discuss the National Championships?

Of course it's a long way out. Thanks for stating the obvious.

Ever occur to you that some posters find the information worthwhile?

Sheesh.

I'd have him in there and I wouldn't have Strauss in the centre. Not from the start of next season anyway. I'd give him time to develop across half back, before throwing him in the middle.

I want Strauss kicking it to our forwards. I think that is the problem with Davey ATM getting kicks off half back isn't anywhere near as damaging as kicking it to the forwards. With Strauss and Davey delivering the ball to the forwards there will be no excuses.

It's not that I don't rate him it's just that I think the backline will be too tall with him in the back half. I'm a big fan of Martin. Garland and Frawley just pick themselves. I would have him ahead of Rivers that's for sure.

I think Martin will play the role that Dutchy had. He'll play where we need him most. He was good in the ruck this weekend & forward. He can also take the Big Forwards in defence.

We still need to find an elite CHB to help take us towards finals success, as well as our forward needs.

Rivers isn't quick nor a good kick, his forte' is drop back in the hole, which he's good at.

Frawley is as good stopper & has pace & is attacking but fluffs the kick under pressure.

I like both these players but their not enough for the ultimate.

If we take Scully and Trengrove our Midfield could be one of the best going round In a few years. Mclean, Moloney, Sylvia, Scully, Trengrove, Blease, Grimes, Strauss... Is It possible we could have to many mids?

No way. Look at Geelong and St Kilda, they have midfielders that are great players but thier midfield talent runs deep. A great side needs 8-10 quality players that can rotate into the midfield.

Three on the centreline, two on the ball, one or two in the forward line and a couple resting on the bench.

Geelong has

Ablett

Selwood

Bartel

Corey

Enright

Ling

Chapman

Johnson

Byrnes

Varcoe

Rooke

Varcoe

Not all are pure mids but can are rotated through there depending on the need at the time.

If we take Scully and Trengrove our Midfield could be one of the best going round In a few years. Mclean, Moloney, Sylvia, Scully, Trengrove, Blease, Grimes, Strauss... Is It possible we could have to many mids?

Not A graders at this point.

The midfield would have to step up big time to equal the Cats current midfield and Brisbane's early this century.

I think Martin will play the role that Dutchy had. He'll play where we need him most.

very poignant B)

Not A graders at this point.

The midfield would have to step up big time to equal the Cats current midfield and Brisbane's early this century.

I did say In a few years.. You would think Scully and Trengrove could be A graders. Grimes, Sylvia and Davey also.

I think Martin will play the role that Dutchy had. He'll play where we need him most. He was good in the ruck this weekend & forward. He can also take the Big Forwards in defence.

We still need to find an elite CHB to help take us towards finals success, as well as our forward needs.

Rivers isn't quick nor a good kick, his forte' is drop back in the hole, which he's good at.

Frawley is as good stopper & has pace & is attacking but fluffs the kick under pressure.

I like both these players but their not enough for the ultimate.

I think Frawley is good enough to play CHB. Remember he's only 21 and won't be at his peak for another 3 - 4 years. We can't afford to be chasing anymore backmen. We have bigger holes to fill in the middle and probably 1 to fill up forward. I think Martin willl be groomed to fill that hole in our forward line and do some ruckwork as well. This will allow us to go after 2 class midfielders this year. Rivers will only be expected to take the third forward.

As a club we're banking on Jamar, Meesen and Spencer to take on the future rucking roles. All our fingers are crossed on this. The potential is there but will they make it, let's hope so.

Im really starting to think that Martin is one of those finds. As suggested he can play front and back and pinch hit at the bounce. But we still need to fill those various positions properly though.

Im really starting to think that Martin is one of those finds. As suggested he can play front and back and pinch hit at the bounce. But we still need to fill those various positions properly though.

I would of thought that the club would be much better off finding him a position ( forward in my opinion) and playing him there, rather than shifting him all over the ground. As it is he'll probably be required to take on some ruckwork.

why ? if he can fill week to week needs.. a genuine all rounder of sorts. is that not allowed these days ?

why ? if he can fill week to week needs.. a genuine all rounder of sorts. is that not allowed these days ?

There's very few players good enough to do this. I reckon we're better off teaching him how to excel at one position than become a jack of all trades ala Holland.

What is wrong with playing him as a ute? He is tall enough to be damaging at both ends and can ruck and compete, he seems an all round better bet to be a future back-up ruckman than PJ so I say...

Keep playing him the way you're playing him Dean.

Can someone, who has seen more and has more knowledge than just seeing yesterday's games (because that's my level of expertise on this), please tell me if this would be a decent plan heading into November:

Scully at 1, Morabito/Trengove/other mid at 2, and one of Carlisle/Fitzpatrick/Talia/Panos/tall prospect at 18.

Which of those would still be there at 18?

I only say that because, like the popular opinion, Butcher looks like a work in progress...

At this stage I would think that none of those players mentioned will be available for our second round pick, with the way Carlisle and Talia played in the Champs and the lack or real quality talls in this years draft I can see them going first round.

• 2 weeks later...

A good mate of mine from SA reckons that Jack Trengove has been playing in the seniors at Sturt the past couple of weeks and says that he's been "superimpressive" against the men.

His verdict?

"Think Rich!"

If Scully is as good as he's cracked up to be and a couple of meaningless wins at this stage of the season prevent us from getting these two players they will go down in history as monumental defeats.

Do we need Carlton and Richmond's (Wallace has already 'fessed up) efforts in 2007 to show us how to do things properly and get an advantage in a competition that's hopelessly compromised anyway?

Totally agree. I've said before, he won't go top 10. Where do you have him?

early-mid second round imho

Funny how the consensus seems to now be that Butcher is not a pick 2 candidate... where will he fall..?

And what would happen if we went and took him at pick 2 or 3?

I believe he's had injuries & a severely limited preseason which may be excuse enough for his recent form -- might he end up slipping well past the spot he deserves like Joel Selwood or Judd did?

At this stage I expect him to go late first round, maybe even early 2nd.

Would we take him with our 2nd round pick?

Thats what I'm hoping, but who really knows?

Unless I can find a way to get inside Barry Prendergast's head a la Being John Malkovich...

I think he's worth a higher pick than he will go for, but he's not top 5 at all.